Books #10 Reading Chats.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I was feeling nostalgic so am re-reading The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen. Loved her when I was in school, can't remember much about this one and really enjoying it - up past my bedtime for a work night as keep saying one more chapter 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I was feeling nostalgic so am re-reading The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen. Loved her when I was in school, can't remember much about this one and really enjoying it - up past my bedtime for a work night as keep saying one more chapter 😂
Oh my God I used to LOVE her! Is that the one with the catering company? I remember having a huge crush on Wes :love:

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I'm off on holiday today and don't trust the Wi Fi where I'm going. Using my number generator, the first book that came up was The Forgotten Garden. That would be the third book in a row that I would have read with a horticulture theme. I don't even like sodding gardens 😂 So I've also downloaded Animal by Sara Pascoe and a historical fiction book, The Radium Girls (both from my existing Kindle pile). That's on top of the three physical books I'm taking too AND OH wants to start watching Stranger Things again when the kids are in bed 😂 Five books in a week - I can dream perhaps!

• Haha
Reactions: 10
I finished The Final Girls Support Group last night, really enjoyed it. Looking forward to starting Lessons in Chemistry next for the book club.

Reactions: 3
I'm off on holiday today and don't trust the Wi Fi where I'm going. Using my number generator, the first book that came up was The Forgotten Garden. That would be the third book in a row that I would have read with a horticulture theme. I don't even like sodding gardens 😂 So I've also downloaded Animal by Sara Pascoe and a historical fiction book, The Radium Girls (both from my existing Kindle pile). That's on top of the three physical books I'm taking too AND OH wants to start watching Stranger Things again when the kids are in bed 😂 Five books in a week - I can dream perhaps!
Ah I really enjoyed Animal. Well researched and witty writing.

Found The Guest List by Lucy Foley in the charity shop. Thought it was on my TBR but turns out it wasn't. Pretty highly rated on Goodreads though. Have any of you read it? I started reading Convenience Store Woman on my Kindle last night. Really enjoying it so far!

Flashback to me deliberating between City of Girls and Circe and then reading neither...this always happens.

Found The Guest List by Lucy Foley in the charity shop. Thought it was on my TBR but turns out it wasn't. Pretty highly rated on Goodreads though. Have any of you read it? I started reading Convenience Store Woman on my Kindle last night. Really enjoying it so
I read it last year and quite enjoyed it despite partially guessing the ending.

Oh my God I used to LOVE her! Is that the one with the catering company? I remember having a huge crush on Wes :love:
Yes that's the one!! Also remember loving Wes! 😂 excited to read more later

I have about 5 of her books still that I reread countless times in high school, might reread some others this year too

So I've started getting a sample of any 99p deal I like the sound of, if I'm still interested it's a yes and if not then I've saved 99p 😂
They're so tempting.

Found The Guest List by Lucy Foley in the charity shop. Thought it was on my TBR but turns out it wasn't. Pretty highly rated on Goodreads though. Have any of you read it? I started reading Convenience Store Woman on my Kindle last night. Really enjoying it so far!

Flashback to me deliberating between City of Girls and Circe and then reading neither...this always happens.
I really enjoyed it and her next one The Hunting Party even though they’re almost identical stories just in different settings. I think I read it really quickly if I remember rightly as I was pretty gripped. It’s not gonna win any massive literary awards but it’s worth a read.

I read it last year and quite enjoyed it despite partially guessing the ending.
Same! I read it a couple of years ago and remember it as being entertaining but fairly predictable. If you’re looking for a quick easy read it’d probably fit the bill.

I started this is how we are human yesterday and finished it today. It’s a very easy read, I flew through it. Sweet story. The writing however is very very average.
Can anyone recommend something beautifully written? One where you want to read with a pencil in hand to underline the perfect prose? It’s been a while since I read any such thing. I want something memorable and moving please.

I started this is how we are human yesterday and finished it today. It’s a very easy read, I flew through it. Sweet story. The writing however is very very average.
Can anyone recommend something beautifully written? One where you want to read with a pencil in hand to underline the perfect prose? It’s been a while since I read any such thing. I want something memorable and moving please.
oof, i feel like prose style is such a personal choice. i’m extremely picky and i hate “basic” by numbers writing. average prose will put me off a book in seconds, even if i’m into the story.

but, books i’ve read where i would say that the prose is gorgeous and deserving of being underlined are:

lincoln in the bardo - george sanders
let the great world spin - colum mccann
a tale for the time being - ruth ozeki
the amazing adventures of kavalier and clay - michael chabon
the goldfinch - donna tartt
sunnyside - glenn david gold
half of the human race - anthony quinn
all the light we cannot see - anthony doerr
the overstory - richard powers
middlesex - jeffrey eugenides (just don’t read any of his other books you’ll be disappointed!)

more recently i thought no one is talking about this by patricia lockwood was very beautifully written (but an acquired taste!), as well as fault lines by emily itami and writers & lovers by lily king.

oops sorry that’s a lot 🤣

Reactions: 4

The Guest List is good, bit of you've already read The Hunting Party, then you've read this one as well. If you haven't already read THP, read The Guest List but don't read THP.

Basically you only need to read one because they are kinda the same.

Just read Red, White and Royal Blue today.

Cute, cheesy, gay. Over harsh/mean royal family that I didn't like. And I think the American author didn't understand succession properly. But the actual love story was cute as duck.

Reactions: 5
Just read Red, White and Royal Blue today.

Cute, cheesy, gay. Over harsh/mean royal family that I didn't like. And I think the American author didn't understand succession properly. But the actual love story was cute as duck.
i felt exactly the same way about red, white and royal blue. it was adorable and the central love story was very sweet but i don’t think the author had ever been to the uk as she seemed to think we all live in the 1800s 🤣 but it was cute and i’ll watch the film!

i felt exactly the same way about red, white and royal blue. it was adorable and the central love stories was very sweet but i don’t think the author had ever been to the uk as she seemed to think we all live in the 1800s 🤣 but it was cute and i’ll watch the film!
What! There's gonna be a film of it!?

ETA: definitely gonna watch that. Cute actors playing the guys. Especially Taylor Zakhar Perez. 😍🤤

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.