Books #10 Reading Chats.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I read quite a lot of non-fic so may be able to recommend some but obviously it's a broad genre haha. What kind of subjects do you want to read about?
Indeed, thank you! :) I normally read books like tragic biographies, true crime, & self-improvement, but I would't mind something a little more uplifting. Have you read any good ones lately?

Indeed, thank you! :) I normally read books like tragic biographies, true crime, & self-improvement, but I would't mind something a little more uplifting. Have you read any good ones lately?

I personally find food non-fiction really uplifting. Some of my favourites are Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain, Toast by Nigel Slater, Taste by Stanley Tucci, My Life in France by Julia Child and A Half Baked Idea by Olivia Potts.
Comedic essays are also really uplifting - Anything by Nora Ephron or David Sedaris.
For self improvement, I've enjoyed Wintering by Katherine May, Four Thousand Weeks by Oliver Burkeman and How To Do Nothing by Jenny Odell.
I don't read a lot of crime but these are sort of crime-adjacent and well worth it: Cultish by Amanda Montell, Empire of Pain by Patrick Radden Keefe and Hidden Valley Road by Robert Kolker.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I personally find food non-fiction really uplifting. Some of my favourites are Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain, Toast by Nigel Slater, Taste by Stanley Tucci, My Life in France by Julia Child and A Half Baked Idea by Olivia Potts.
Comedic essays are also really uplifting - Anything by Nora Ephron or David Sedaris.
For self improvement, I've enjoyed Wintering by Katherine May, Four Thousand Weeks by Oliver Burkeman and How To Do Nothing by Jenny Odell.
I don't read a lot of crime but these are sort of crime-adjacent and well worth it: Cultish by Amanda Montell, Empire of Pain by Patrick Radden Keefe and Hidden Valley Road by Robert Kolker.
Thank you so much.

Reactions: 1
Can anyone recommend a great non-fiction? 💙
It depends what kind of non-fiction you’re after! If you want something with a bit of humour This Is Going To Hurt by Adam Kay is great (and the book is much better than the recent BBC version). It’s about his experience of being a junior NHS doc.

I also read Catch and Kill by Ronan Farrow last year which is about his work to expose Harvey Weinstein. Really interesting and quite scary stuff in places.

Educated by Tara Westover got a bit of hype a while back, based on her escape from an extreme religion but if you’re interested in that sort of subject I preferred Unfollow by Megan Phelps Roper about her and her sister leaving the Westboro Baptist Church. I’ve watched all of Louis Theroux’s docs on them so already had a bit of investment in the story so that might be why I liked it better.

Reactions: 3
I feel like I recommend this every time non fiction is mentioned but Trevor Noah - Born A Crime. It really is fantastic.

Educated - Tara Westover
Crippled - Austerity and the demonization of the disabled
Know My Name - Chanel Miller
She Said - Jodi Kantor and Megan Twohey
The Five - Hallie Rubenhold
The Storm is Upon Us How Qanon Became A Movement - Mike Rothschild.
Men Who Hate Women - Laura Bates

Have read all of these and would recommend them all.

Few non fiction I have on my wish list so cant vouch for them but you may find interesting...

Rough - How Violence Has Found Its Way Into The Bedroom and What We Can Do About It - Rachel Thompson

Playing The bleep - The Work Of Sex Work - Melissa Gira Grant

Youre the Only One Ive Told: The Stories Behind Abortion - Meera Shah

The Troubles With Us: One Belfast Girl on Boys, Bombs and Finding Her Way

The Good Girls: An Ordinary Killing

Reactions: 6
Thank you, I will also take the time to read this thread (apologies, I just jumped in).
I feel like I must contribute somewhat! so here's two great non-fiction reads (off top of my head).
* The Untethered Soul
* Cupcake Brown (EDIT: sorry, that was author name) title is - A Piece of Cake.

Thank you, I will also take the time to read this thread (apologies, I just jumped in).
I feel like I must contribute somewhat! so here's two great non-fiction reads (off top of my head).
* The Untethered Soul
* Cupcake Brown (EDIT: sorry, that was author name) title is - A Piece of Cake.
I remember reading A Piece Of Cake when I started uni, used to read it on the train in the way in. What a harrowing story.

Reactions: 2
I’ve finally finished Bunny. I gave it 3 stars. I read a few reviews beforehand and thought I was getting more secret history / heathers type of vibes but it was neither.
Glad I read it, didn’t love it. Happy to move on to the book club pick for the month, lessons in chemistry.

I remember reading A Piece Of Cake when I started uni, used to read it on the train in the way in. What a harrowing story.
I read this when I was Started uni too and it’s a story that has stuck with me ever since (a good 12 years 🙈) and I always recommend this book to people!

Omg I wondered how people had such long tbr lists but now I know! I’ve had my kindle for 4 days and have 26 books already 😬

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Uplifting memoir - Born A Crime by Trevor Noah.

ETA - Just saw @Caffeine Fiend already suggested this, it's such a great book.

While I'm at it if anyone is into historical fiction I noticed When The World Was Ours is on the July 99p deals, highly recommend. Such a moving story about the loss of childhood innocence.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Finished Malibu Rising and thought it was great! Tried to start the Paper Palace but think I need something that’s not about relationships/ family dramas so tempted to switch to Six of Crows instead

Reactions: 9
i’m finally reading it ends with us (which is the last colleen hoover book i own) because i wanted a quick-ish read and gosh, it’s not good but it’s also great 🤣

cannot get over the lead character being called lily bloom.

• Haha
Reactions: 11
i’m finally reading it ends with us (which is the last colleen hoover book i own) because i wanted a quick-ish read and gosh, it’s not good but it’s also great 🤣

cannot get over the lead character being called lily bloom.
Tempting me into reading it now. 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I finished Lenni & Margot and I must be a cold hearted witch cause it didn't hit the mark for me. Couldn't connect with either character and felt there were too many gaps in their lives.

I finished Lenni & Margot and I must be a cold hearted witch cause it didn't hit the mark for me. Couldn't connect with either character and felt there were too many gaps in their lives.
I’m listening to the audiobook and really enjoying it so far. I’m only a few chapters in so will see how it goes.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.