Book Club #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m about 40% of the way through preloved and really enjoying it!

I’ve put hot springs drive on the back burner a bit for now, I think it’s a mix of not really being what I expected and only being able to read it a couple of pages at a time so never being able to fully get into it. I do still like the sounds of it so I’m planning on going back to it after a couple of other reads, but I have said that before 🫣🤣

Reactions: 1
Im almost finished with Hot Springs Drive. Its definitely more of a social observation than a thriller imo. That being said itl probably be a 4 star for me.

Reactions: 3
Started First Lie Wins in the early hours of this morning when insomniac hit, very fast paced and intriguing so far 👍

Reactions: 4
Very admin-y posts but going forward will we just have the thread titles as “Book Club #2” etc? I’m guessing it’s not helpful for the mods to have to edit it monthly. I don’t think the thread moves so fast that someone coming in wouldn’t be able to see what the current book is?

Reactions: 5
Very admin-y posts but going forward will we just have the thread titles as “Book Club #2” etc? I’m guessing it’s not helpful for the mods to have to edit it monthly. I don’t think the thread moves so fast that someone coming in wouldn’t be able to see what the current book is?
Yeah good idea. I did ask for this one to be changed to just “February reads” but it didn’t happen obviously, so better to keep it as book club and number as you’ve suggested.

Finished First Lie Wins and it's my first 5* read of the year. Brilliant storyline, couldn't stop thinking about it when I had to put it down and it did surprise me since...

I suspected Mr Smith may have been Ryan when she was hiding in the bathroom of his truck business office and heard a different side to him. Thought it was confirmed when she overheard him talking to George at the motel and I was furious/ready to throw my kindle across the room. Man, that ending was brilliant.

I finished First Lie Wins the other day. I enjoyed the start but I'm never a fan of books that are a bit far fetched with the stuff happening within them, it's so unrealistic that it loses my attention.

He's the real hero of the story. Lucca just turns up, this guy seems to everywhere and anywhere all at once putting every intelligence agency to shame as a one man band with a computer.

I started Hot Springs Drive, about 20% in and it’s really not at all what I expected it to be from the blurb and marketing

With that said, I am quite enjoying it. Although finding it quite jarring that it keeps jumping between time periods with no prior warning. Like (one example) someone is walking towards a room to do something, then in the next sentence is somewhere else altogether, and it doesn’t make sense until the earlier event (and its outcome) are referenced.
---
I finished First Lie Wins the other day. I enjoyed the start but I'm never a fan of books that are a bit far fetched with the stuff happening within them, it's so unrealistic that it loses my attention.

He's the real hero of the story. Lucca just turns up, this guy seems to everywhere and anywhere all at once putting every intelligence agency to shame as a one man band with a computer.
This is a very fair comment. Although I think it’s quite a lazy plot thing a lot of authors use - it’s not my main character/narrator so I don’t need to fully explain how this tech whiz is doing what they’re doing, I can just say it’s happened and my main character accepts it and writes it off as the super tech guy dealt with it, I don’t really need to know how. And yes it does always seem to be a tech guy…

I did still like the book though 😅

I started Hot Springs Drive, about 20% in and it’s really not at all what I expected it to be from the blurb and marketing

With that said, I am quite enjoying it. Although finding it quite jarring that it keeps jumping between time periods with no prior warning. Like (one example) someone is walking towards a room to do something, then in the next sentence is somewhere else altogether, and it doesn’t make sense until the earlier event (and its outcome) are referenced.
---

This is a very fair comment. Although I think it’s quite a lazy plot thing a lot of authors use - it’s not my main character/narrator so I don’t need to fully explain how this tech whiz is doing what they’re doing, I can just say it’s happened and my main character accepts it and writes it off as the super tech guy dealt with it, I don’t really need to know how. And yes it does always seem to be a tech guy…

I did still like the book though 😅
If you get to part 2 its all sort of present day and any previous periods are in italics. I did enjoy it but its nothing like its described. Its more character driven (which I enjoy) but I imagine if youve picked this up thinking its a thriller which I did youd be disappointed.

Reactions: 2
Screenshot_20240212_153922_Instagram.jpg

Have I pre ordered this? Yes. Look how beautiful.

Waterstones have special editions of funny story back in stock. I pre ordered that months ago!

• Heart
I recently learnt there are two endings of Beach Read! The US had a diff one to the UK/Aus/International English market.
it ends in a proposal in the US version apparently!

I recently learnt there are two endings of Beach Read! The US had a diff one to the UK/Aus/International English market.
it ends in a proposal in the US version apparently!
Sorry to say this isn't true. It's the exact same.

The proposal is in a special newsletter Emily sent to her subscribers.

Oh really? I am kind of glad about that. I think that ending would be a bit more predictable. I was just going by tiktoks (so you know, not the most reliable!) and old reddit threads I saw when I googled (https://www.reddit.com/r/RomanceBooks/comments/i1vfdl/beach_read_different_endings_spoilers/)
Huh, I read an ARC for the US version and it didn't include the proposal. Wonder if it's something that got added to the US version afterwards then?

And the newsletter one I meant is called Layover and it's now in the bonus content and I'm apparently insane cause it doesn't include a proposal but a pregnancy reveal

hard as a carrot

• Haha
Huh, I read an ARC for the US version and it didn't include the proposal. Wonder if it's something that got added to the US version afterwards then?

And the newsletter one I meant is called Layover and it's now in the bonus content and I'm apparently insane cause it doesn't include a proposal but a pregnancy reveal
Ha! Another cliche! I mean I love a happy ever after. But we don’t need it all 😆 obvs now going to hunt down the layover though.

Like others have said, HSD isn’t what I imagined but I’m finding it okay, even though it’s not my thing. It’s short enough that it’s not really a chore to read. I’m about 40% through quite easily really. And of course, if I’d not have continued I wouldn’t have had read the above phrase 😂🥕

• Haha
Reactions: 2
I want First Lies Wins to be made into a Netflix series. Although, to be fair, that would probably ruin it.

I'm struggling through Hot Springs Drive and hope to finish it today so I can file it away and read something that doesn't feel like a chore. Glad I left this last from the 3 picks tbh cause I would have been so wary going into the other 2.