Book Club #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Finally started Weyward. I’m about 12% in and really enjoying it. It’s not my usual style of book but I’m liking it so far. I do have to do a mental game at the start of every chapter to remember which character is which and what time frame we’re in.

Reactions: 5
Finally started Weyward. I’m about 12% in and really enjoying it. It’s not my usual style of book but I’m liking it so far. I do have to do a mental game at the start of every chapter to remember which character is which and what time frame we’re in.
Yes I usually hate books that flick from character to character each chaoter. But I liked this and found each was distinct enough for me to remember who was who. Also, since downloading the audio version, so in essence I’m on my second read. I’m enjoying it even more this time.

Reactions: 2
I'm on Chapter 4, intrigued so far. Hoping to get halfway by the end of the weekend.

Reactions: 1
Finished Weyward last night - 4 stars for me.

I found it confusing at first to remember which character was which and then when the same names were mentioned across timelines it often took me a few moments to fully map out who was who and at what age. I did get there in the end but for that reason it dropped half a star.

My favourite story was Kate’s followed by Altha’s then Violet’s last - only because Violet’s seemed to go nowhere until half way through but then at that point her story was so fascinating. I loved finding out she was behind the insect infestation with the Viscount. It was incredibly emotional when she realised she had terminated her daughter that would have become a Weyward, I was heartbroken for her. However, the slowness to her chapter for the first half dropped the final half star.

Altha’s trial was fascinating and I was so absorbed when the reasons behind the cow attack came to light. Her questioning wether it was murder or justice really played in mind and it got me thinking if it was to happen today how it would play out with courts. I also think the idea of a modern day witch-hunt would be fascinating to see, especially with social media, the immediate cancel culture we have and the desire for stronger and stronger sentences.

I was gripped by Kate’s escape from Simon and the moment she sent the email to buy the pushchair my heart stopped. It was great that she harnessed all the previous women’s powers before her to get her revenge, and what a revenge!

Overall I really enjoyed it and probably wouldn’t have picked it up had it not been for Book Club.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I'm 30% in and really starting to enjoy it.

I have a 2 hour train journey later so hoping to power through and finish it

I listened to the audiobook of this last year and really enjoyed it but I feel like I missed parts by getting distracted so will read this beautiful hardback I got last year
1000005404.png

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Im about 25% in and not overly loving it really, I’m struggling to want to pick it back up 😕

I haven't finished it yet, I fell off the reading wagon the past few days. Hoping to finish it this weekend. I'm not sure I'm a fan of flicking between characters each chapter as a general rule, but I am intrigued enough to carry on.

I love how reading and books are so unique to each reader.

I lived Weyward, it was one of my favourite books last year and I raced through it.

Others don't like it or aren't drawn to picking it up.

And both opinions ate valid and no one argues or tells the other they are wrong.

The book/reading community is the best

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Please start nominating for May and I’ll tally up at the end of the week 😊

I’m about a third through Weyward. For me, it’s one of those where I have to read a decent amount at a time to feel like I’m into it, so I’m really going to focus on that over the next couple of days.

I'd like to read this soon so will nominate it as it's back on a 99p deal

The Unspeakable Acts of Zina Pavlou

London, 1954. Zina Pavlou, a Cypriot grandmother, waits quietly in the custody of the Metropolitan police. She can't speak their language, but she understands what their wary looks mean: she has been accused of the brutal murder of her daughter-in-law.

Eva Georgiou, Greek interpreter for the Met, knows how it feels to be voiceless as an immigrant woman. While she works as Zina's translator, her obsession with the case deepens, and so too does her bond with the accused murderer.

Zina can't speak for herself. She can't clear her own name. All she can do is wait for the world to decide...

IS SHE A VICTIM? OR IS SHE A KILLER?

Reactions: 3
Please start nominating for May and I’ll tally up at the end of the week 😊

I’m about a third through Weyward. For me, it’s one of those where I have to read a decent amount at a time to feel like I’m into it, so I’m really going to focus on that over the next couple of days.
Same here, I've made progress and starting to care about the characters a bit more now that I have a few more chapters of each under my belt, so to speak. I think that's the issue with flicking POVs each chapter, it takes longer to get into their issues/character. Another book I read with alternate POVs was the 7th in a series and the characters already established and cherished, so that was much easier for me to read.

I'm enjoying the description of creatures and nature, I assume the feathers etc will have significance and at the point I'm at I can see there will be family connection etc, so I am intrigued enough to carry on. I'm hoping to push through the next couple of days. April has been a terrible reading month, I've had no motivation.

The Night Before the Murder - Katy Brent

Something bad happened last night. My best friend Posey is dead. The police think it was a tragic accident. I know she was murdered.

I’ve woken up with the hangover from hell, a stranger in my bed, and I’ve gone viral for the worst reasons.

There’s only one thing stopping me from dying of shame. I need to find a killer.

But after last night, I can’t remember a thing…

The Murder After the Night Before: From the author of How to Kill Men and Get Away With It, don’t miss this slick and utterly gripping comic crime thriller for 2024! https://amzn.eu/d/7PsgfHW

Reactions: 6
I finished Weyward last night, I really enjoyed this book. I loved all three timelines and each character.

Reactions: 4
I'm finishing it today! I loved it when I started it but then I kind of got bored by it somewhere around the middle. It's weird because I want to read it and know what happens but on the other hand I'm like meh idk. I enjoy all 3 story lines though 🥰

It’s got me into a bit of a reading slump, I’ve barely read in weeks 😅 I’ve decided to power through it this weekend and move on. I’m only about 35% in, maybe I’ll enjoy the rest