Book Club #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm finishing it today! I loved it when I started it but then I kind of got bored by it somewhere around the middle. It's weird because I want to read it and know what happens but on the other hand I'm like meh idk. I enjoy all 3 story lines though šŸ„°
Iā€™ve finished Weyward today and relate to this review by @marjan so much. I enjoyed hearing about each characters story, particularly Kateā€™s because I prefer modern day stuff. But I just wasnā€™t fussed about picking it up!

Seems to have been a popular choice though, so great nomination and Iā€™m pleased I tried something different šŸ˜Š Iā€™d give it 3/5.

Reactions: 3
Votes are in folksā€¦

The Murder After The Night Before - 6 votes
@OnlyHereForTheLolz

The Collected Regrets of Clover - 4 votes
@Caffeine Fiend

The Unspeakable Acts of Zina Pavlou - 3 votes
@ToolaRoola

So our May book is The Murder After The Night Before šŸ”ŖšŸ©·

Itā€™s not currently a 99p deal but itā€™s Ā£2.99 which isnā€™t too bad. Alternatively, itā€™s Ā£5 for the paperback.

Enjoy!

Votes are in folksā€¦

The Murder After The Night Before - 6 votes
@OnlyHereForTheLolz

The Collected Regrets of Clover - 4 votes
@Caffeine Fiend

The Unspeakable Acts of Zina Pavlou - 3 votes
@ToolaRoola

So our May book is The Murder After The Night Before šŸ”ŖšŸ©·

Itā€™s not currently a 99p deal but itā€™s Ā£2.99 which isnā€™t too bad. Alternatively, itā€™s Ā£5 for the paperback.

Enjoy!
Thank you, cannot believe I won a vote!!!
A shame itā€™s not Ā£0.99, Iā€™m sure when I nominated it, it showed 99p

Reactions: 2
I meant to say that Iā€™ve got in on hold at the library too so it may be worth trying there. Hoping itā€™ll become available before 20th May as it currently says for me, as Iā€™m keen to get started on this one šŸ˜Š

Its also available on Spotify premium as an audiobook for those that use that platform šŸ™‚

Reactions: 1
I'm in, I've ordered it. I just need to finish the last few chapters of Weyward first. šŸ¤­

Reactions: 4
Just in time for the end of the month, I finished Weyward. After struggling to get into it, I enjoyed it in the end - the last 30-40% I really got into. Overall, I did find it predictable (I feel like I knew what was going to happen in all three storylines from early on?) and also quite repetitive. A lot of the insect and nature writing was repetitive, for example. Violetā€™s story also took a long while to get going.

Overall, 3/5 from me which is a lot higher than I thought it was going to be based on the first half šŸ˜†

Its also available on Spotify premium as an audiobook for those that use that platform šŸ™‚
Man, that means my husband can enjoy it as the main account holder but Iā€™ll have to actually buy it. I wish theyā€™d scrap the account holder rubbish and just let anyone with a premium account to use it.

I finally finished Weyward. April was a rubbish reading month for me, I just couldn't focus.

I give Weyward 4ā­ though it only really got going about 2 thirds in. I found myself getting pissed off with the men who (TW: raped 2 of the characters, and that Milburn guy who beat his wife, plus Violet's Father who didn't give a tit about her being used. I guess it made me think of all the women who get abused, trapped etc in the past, present and future. I think in all I am glad I read it because it was a bit different but I think flicking between POV took a bit of getting used to.

I hadnt planned on buying this months pick but I was in the library taking books back and 'new in' there was this months pick and a brand new paperback copy of Romantic Comedy by Curtis Sittenfield.

So I will be starting it tonight šŸ™Š

• Haha
Reactions: 5
BorrowBox came through for me and itā€™s become available 3 weeks earlier šŸ„³

Iā€™m about 20% in and itā€™s really gripped me. Iā€™ll put out TWā€™s for possible sexual assault, although a lot is covered with dark humour.

Iā€™m listening to it so Iā€™ll have to wait until tomorrow now to carry on but I already canā€™t wait.

I've not been on this thread before, but I'm trying to get out of a reading slump and haven't used my Spotify listening hours yet and I really like the idea of The Murder After The Night Before, and so far the narrator's voice isn't grating on me, so I think I'll go for it!

I've not been on this thread before, but I'm trying to get out of a reading slump and haven't used my Spotify listening hours yet and I really like the idea of The Murder After The Night Before, and so far the narrator's voice isn't grating on me, so I think I'll go for it!
Welcome :D

Finished this this morning and thought it was a great read/listen. It was narrated really well and it felt really naturally spoken which helped me get straight into it.

It wasnā€™t what I was expecting, I thought itā€™d be full on humour but it was a lot darker. Not a bad thing at all, it made it more interesting I think.

Iā€™d give it 4/5 and the reason it doesnā€™t get the full five marks is because ā€¦I didnā€™t picture Patrick as the character that was portrayed. I was picturing this ā€œmiddle aged left outā€ husband type man, so I then struggled to see him as a horrible, sleazy manipulative man. I also kind of wished Jack/Josh hadnā€™t have been involved with Posey.
However I did really love the ending. I thought it was a clever parallel that both Mollyā€™s mum and Poseyā€™s deaths were at the hands of an obsessive man, even if they died in different ways. I also like the way Molly found out Jesse killed Posey, even though I did groan when the audio finished and I realised I wasnā€™t getting any more story šŸ˜‚

Reactions: 1
I started it last night and although Iā€™m only about 15% of the way through I am loving it. I love the narration style and Iā€™m so intrigued to see where it goes. It was definitely a ā€œjust one more chapterā€ scenario on repeat last night when I was becoming more and more aware of how far past midnight it was getting but I couldnā€™t put it down.