Book Club #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
finished HSD earlier and it was definitely my least favourite of the 3 picks from February. Having said that, there were some parts that I found insightful and, at times, sad.

I found quite a few chapters and characters unnecessary and didn't add to the story at all. The detective and reporter spring to mind. The relationship between Jackie and Douglas gave me the ick and I was weary of reading on in parts of thebook.

I’m struggling with preloved and just not getting into it. Will persevere though as I really don’t like not finishing books.

Well I gave up on preloved and returned it to Lobrary. I just couldn’t get into it or feel anything for the character not sure if it was because the sections about items were between her chapters and it stopped the flow of the book for me or if I just thought I’m not interested in her story. Will hopefully try the other two if I can get a copy of them from library as I’m on a book buying ban.

Reactions: 1
Well I gave up on preloved and returned it to Lobrary. I just couldn’t get into it or feel anything for the character not sure if it was because the sections about items were between her chapters and it stopped the flow of the book for me or if I just thought I’m not interested in her story. Will hopefully try the other two if I can get a copy of them from library as I’m on a book buying ban.
Yep, I was disappointed by Preloved as it was so hyped up on the book thread. I gave 3 ⭐ but it was probably closer to 2.

I have just started First Lie Wins and really hope it's better

Reactions: 2
Ugh, just finished HSD and it’s a 4/5 for me, it wasn’t at all what I was expecting but I definitely got into it

I found the Douglas/Jackie parenting relationship uncomfortable to read about, but interesting. I’d have preferred more from the time of the murder - more of the conversation between J & D that obviously encouraged him to go and murder Theresa, and then something between J & D after it happened, which we really didn’t get.

Sammy was a bit of an afterthought, we just got that small section on how Jackie’s eating habits had affected him and then he never really reappeared.

Jayson was a bit a dick to Kyla in the end, I was hoping he wouldn’t do that.

The rest I thought was well written and interesting, I enjoy a character driven book

First Lie Wins was definitely the front runner of the 3 books this month. I didn't mind HSD but really felt that Preloved was underwhelming.

Reactions: 5
First Lie Wins was definitely the front runner of the 3 books this month. I didn't mind HSD but really felt that Preloved was underwhelming.
Yes I’ve finished ‘first lie wins’ and I really enjoyed it. I started ‘pre loved’ a few days ago and I’m not getting in to it like I did FLW. I may give HSD a go and see if that’s any better.

Do people want to start nominating for March? I’ll tally up votes on Tuesday, giving people a couple of days to buy any offers.

Reactions: 3
I know loads have probably already read this. I haven’t. It’s 0.99 on kindle at the moment.

And so I’m going to nominate : a man called

BLURB …

NOW A MAJOR FILM STARRING TOM HANKS

The million-copy bestselling phenomenon: a funny, moving, uplifting tale of love and community that will leave you with a spring in your step.

'Warm, funny, and almost unbearably moving' Daily Mail

'Delightful . . . the perfect holiday read' Evening Standard

Ove is almost certainly the grumpiest man you will ever meet. He thinks himself surrounded by idiots - joggers, neighbours who can't reverse a trailer properly and shop assistants who talk in code.

But isn't it rare, these days, to find such old-fashioned clarity of belief and deed? Such unswerving conviction about what the world should be, and a lifelong dedication to making it just so?

In the end, you will see, there is something about Ove that is quite irresistible . . .

'Hilarious and heart-breaking' Stylist

'Rescued all those men who constantly mean to read novels but never get round to it' Spectator Books of the Year

Amazon product

Reactions: 8
I know loads have probably already read this. I haven’t. It’s 0.99 on kindle at the moment.

And so I’m going to nominate : a man called

BLURB …

NOW A MAJOR FILM STARRING TOM HANKS

The million-copy bestselling phenomenon: a funny, moving, uplifting tale of love and community that will leave you with a spring in your step.

'Warm, funny, and almost unbearably moving' Daily Mail

'Delightful . . . the perfect holiday read' Evening Standard

Ove is almost certainly the grumpiest man you will ever meet. He thinks himself surrounded by idiots - joggers, neighbours who can't reverse a trailer properly and shop assistants who talk in code.

But isn't it rare, these days, to find such old-fashioned clarity of belief and deed? Such unswerving conviction about what the world should be, and a lifelong dedication to making it just so?

In the end, you will see, there is something about Ove that is quite irresistible . . .

'Hilarious and heart-breaking' Stylist

'Rescued all those men who constantly mean to read novels but never get round to it' Spectator Books of the Year

Amazon product
I bought this and never read it so it might give me the push to do it. But then I’ve bought almost every book club pick and barely read any so who knows.

Reactions: 3
I would like to nominate the new John marrs book (think it’s called a stranger in the house) I know a few people on the main thread have read and enjoyed. Not 99p (think it’s 2.49) or free on KU

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Oh dear, another month where I probably want to read all the choices 🙈

I'm going to read this anyway but thought I'd put it forward as it's 99p and based on a true story

Little Deaths - Emma Flint

It's the summer of 1965, and the streets of Queens, New York shimmer in a heatwave. One July morning, Ruth Malone wakes to find a bedroom window wide open and her two young children missing.
It's every mother's worst nightmare. But Ruth Malone is not like other mothers . . .
Noting Ruth's perfectly made-up face and provocative clothing, the empty liquor bottles and love letters that litter her apartment, the detectives leap to convenient conclusions, fuelled by neighbourhood gossip and speculation. Sent to cover the case on his first major assignment, tabloid reporter Pete Wonicke at first can't help but do the same. But the longer he spends watching Ruth, the more he learns about the darker workings of the police and the press. Soon, Pete begins to doubt everything he thought he knew.
Ruth Malone is enthralling, challenging and secretive - is she really capable of murder?

Reactions: 6
Oh dear, another month where I probably want to read all the choices 🙈

I'm going to read this anyway but thought I'd put it forward as it's 99p and based on a true story

Little Deaths - Emma Flint

It's the summer of 1965, and the streets of Queens, New York shimmer in a heatwave. One July morning, Ruth Malone wakes to find a bedroom window wide open and her two young children missing.
It's every mother's worst nightmare. But Ruth Malone is not like other mothers . . .
Noting Ruth's perfectly made-up face and provocative clothing, the empty liquor bottles and love letters that litter her apartment, the detectives leap to convenient conclusions, fuelled by neighbourhood gossip and speculation. Sent to cover the case on his first major assignment, tabloid reporter Pete Wonicke at first can't help but do the same. But the longer he spends watching Ruth, the more he learns about the darker workings of the police and the press. Soon, Pete begins to doubt everything he thought he knew.
Ruth Malone is enthralling, challenging and secretive - is she really capable of murder?

Is this based on a true story? I listen to alot of true crime podcasts and this seems like an actual real life story.

Yes I knew I wasnt dreaming it...

Reactions: 1
I’ve totalled up votes for the March read as follows.

The Stranger in her House - @Tit4Tattle - 10 votes
A Man Called Ove - @OH.FFS - 8 votes
Little Deaths - @ToolaRoola - 6 votes

So our winner is The Stranger in her House by John Marrs 🥳 this is currently £2.49 on kindle but included in Kindle Unlimited.

I’ve read this already but will look forward to joining in the discussion once it gets going 😊

Reactions: 8
I’ve totalled up votes for the March read as follows.

The Stranger in her House - @Tit4Tattle - 10 votes
A Man Called Ove - @OH.FFS - 8 votes
Little Deaths - @ToolaRoola - 6 votes

So our winner is The Stranger in her House by John Marrs 🥳 this is currently £2.49 on kindle but included in Kindle Unlimited.

I’ve read this already but will look forward to joining in the discussion once it gets going 😊
I actually started listening to The Stranger in her House audiobook last night, it’s good.