Beyond skincare #2 Beauty devices and procedures

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The Foreo Espada is great! The vibrations feel lovely

Just on the Dennis Gross mask, it has a strap so can be used while lying down. It apparently used to be flimsy but from what I've read they've fixed that

Reactions: 2
I don't suppose anyone has tried the LUMA laser? I don't think I'll be getting it at £2k but I am really intrigued to know if anyone has it and has had fantastic results? If it really does do all the things it claims I suppose it would end up being cheaper than treatments.
Avoid!

They seem to market very aggressively which puts me off. They follow me all over the bloody internet. If you look at their website, they don’t give you the facts straight away, just a lot of marketing fluff. It’s very difficult to understand what the product actually is, which is a huge red flag for me.

Also, they started off selling a vitamin supplement, which is also completely overpriced crap and is marketed heavily with celebrity endorsements instead of actual ingredients or science.

Now, maybe I’m too cynical but I’d rather get my skincare tools from companies who are known for making skincare tools, or at least good skincare products!

Reactions: 6
Avoid!

They seem to market very aggressively which puts me off. They follow me all over the bloody internet. If you look at their website, they don’t give you the facts straight away, just a lot of marketing fluff. It’s very difficult to understand what the product actually is, which is a huge red flag for me.

Also, they started off selling a vitamin supplement, which is also completely overpriced crap and is marketed heavily with celebrity endorsements instead of actual ingredients or science.

Now, maybe I’m too cynical but I’d rather get my skincare tools from companies who are known for making skincare tools, or at least good skincare products!
If you want their ads to stop pushing out to you, just clear your cache and then don't engage with their web presence again x

Reactions: 1
Alice Hart Davis - who I like but I often think is a bit uncritical - recently gave the LYMA laser a very poor review. IIRC she said there was no data to support the claims and that, having given it a good trial herself, she hadn't seen results.
Thank you, that's good to know. All of the reviews I found were press reviews, which I never trust.

Avoid!

Yes, the price of the vitamins is insane! To be honest, if people here had used it and raved about like they do with the UFO etc, I'd be interested. But sounds like it is too good to be true anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
Yes, the price of the vitamins is insane! To be honest, if people here had used it and raved about like they do with the UFO etc, I'd be interested. But sounds like it is too good to be true anyway.
And it's not just the cost of the device but, as I understand it, it needs to be used with products that cost around £100 a month.

Reactions: 4
Bit late to this thread, i invested in nuface mini and the results are great, cheeks are lifted and my jawline is more defined very impressed

• Heart
Reactions: 13
So I just stumbled across this thread today and it is amazing! I was going to start my own thread asking for some help but a lot of you seem extremely knowledgable about skincare so am hoping you don't mind helping me out a bit!

I turned 40 this year and have too be honest when it comes to things like skincare and make-up I have absolutely no clue. I think one of the issues is that I used to have fantastic skin that really seemed like it didn't need any help. However over the last couple of years I have noticed my skin changing which I guess is down to aging.

Please bare with me I'm not very eloquent but will try my best.

1. So my skin feels soft and smooth but over the last 2 years sunspots have appeared which imo makes my skin look terrible even if it doesn't feel like it. Is there anything I can do or use to try and improve this? I weren't sure if laser treatment would be a good option.

2. I would like to invest in some gadgets but even after reading the threads I'm not sure which ones! I'd like to concentrate on keeping my face plump. Keeping lines at bay, only have laugher lines at the moment. And I've noticed I'm getting slack skin under my jaw line and am dreading getting slack jowls so anything that would help with that. Do I get the UFO or the LED or do I used a combination, what about the sensilift :eek: I'm so overwhelmed by the choices!

3. My skin is combination but tends to be more oily although the dry bits can get very dry. Is there any brand that can be recommended where the products aren't too rich. I'm using Clarins at the moment but not convinced. Also what do I need to add to my routine I see a lot of talk about retinol and collagen or vit C?

4. Any recommendation for an at home hair removal on the bikini line? I've only seen mention of the hair removal used on legs on this thread

If you got this far thanks for reading :) I could use all the help I can get. I've tried going to beauticians before but I just don't feel like I'm getting the right help or advice.

I may or may not have bought the Currentbody LED mask (£233.10 with code CBLEDSKIN)...we had a bonus at work so I'm treating myself lol.

So I just stumbled across this thread today and it is amazing! I was going to start my own thread asking for some help but a lot of you seem extremely knowledgable about skincare so am hoping you don't mind helping me out a bit!

I turned 40 this year and have too be honest when it comes to things like skincare and make-up I have absolutely no clue. I think one of the issues is that I used to have fantastic skin that really seemed like it didn't need any help. However over the last couple of years I have noticed my skin changing which I guess is down to aging.

1. So my skin feels soft and smooth but over the last 2 years sunspots have appeared which imo makes my skin look terrible even if it doesn't feel like it. Is there anything I can do or use to try and improve this? I weren't sure if laser treatment would be a good option.

2. I would like to invest in some gadgets but even after reading the threads I'm not sure which ones! I'd like to concentrate on keeping my face plump. Keeping lines at bay, only have laugher lines at the moment. And I've noticed I'm getting slack skin under my jaw line and am dreading getting slack jowls so anything that would help with that. Do I get the UFO or the LED or do I used a combination, what about the sensilift :eek: I'm so overwhelmed by the choices!

3. My skin is combination but tends to be more oily although the dry bits can get very dry. Is there any brand that can be recommended where the products aren't too rich. I'm using Clarins at the moment but not convinced. Also what do I need to add to my routine I see a lot of talk about retinol and collagen or vit C?

4. Any recommendation for an at home hair removal on the bikini line? I've only seen mention of the hair removal used on legs on this thread

If you got this far thanks for reading :) I could use all the help I can get. I've tried going to beauticians before but I just don't feel like I'm getting the right help or advice.
I think vitamin b is supposed good for pigmentation and laser.

With regards to devices it depends how much time you have to use then. UFO is a really fab quick treatment, I think most of us run the cycle twice because there is so much juice in the masks.

The sensilift is initially one hour a week for eight weeks to do the whole face but my skin always feels so soft afterwards. Nuface you can vary the time you spend if you want a quicker or more intensive treatment. There seems to be variation with LED masks, @SqualorVictoria liked the DDG one because its quicker but I went for the Currentbody because you can manipulate it to work on other areas of the body (I'm thinking hands and neck).

I can help with laser hair removal as it doesn't work for me (I'm a redhead).

In terms of skincare use SPF. Vitamin C is brightening for the skin. Only SPF and Retinol can claim to be "antiaging". I'm only just stepping into using retinol but I head great things about the medik8 range.

• Heart
I may or may not have bought the Currentbody LED mask (£233.10 with code CBLEDSKIN)...we had a bonus at work so I'm treating myself lol.

I think vitamin b is supposed good for pigmentation and laser.

With regards to devices it depends how much time you have to use then. UFO is a really fab quick treatment, I think most of us run the cycle twice because there is so much juice in the masks.

The sensilift is initially one hour a week for eight weeks to do the whole face but my skin always feels so soft afterwards. Nuface you can vary the time you spend if you want a quicker or more intensive treatment. There seems to be variation with LED masks, @SqualorVictoria liked the DDG one because its quicker but I went for the Currentbody because you can manipulate it to work on other areas of the body (I'm thinking hands and neck).

I can help with laser hair removal as it doesn't work for me (I'm a redhead).

In terms of skincare use SPF. Vitamin C is brightening for the skin. Only SPF and Retinol can claim to be "antiaging". I'm only just stepping into using retinol but I head great things about the medik8 range.
How would you use all the gadgets? Would it be for example UFO followed by LED followed by sensilift or do you have to use them at different times of the day? Is there a specific routine to using them?

I use the Nuface for tightening and lifting of the face and the Panasonic RF (which is similar to Sensilift) for wrinkles/plumping/skin tone. I tend to use them on alternate days. The Foreo UFO is a nice 1-2-weekly treat, just like you’d use a face mask. I also use the Current Body handheld LED when I remember- maybe 2-3 times a week in the evenings when I watch TV as it takes a little longer. So they all useful for different skin concerns. I’d say the Nuface is the most gratifying as the results are instant.

For hair removal I’ve been very pleased with Smoothskin Bare+ IPL from current body. I don’t have a lot of body hair, but only after a few uses it’s sorted out my underarm and legs, which saves me the faff of shaving especially in the summer. It takes around 10 min to do both arms and legs and you use it once a week. It’s good for the bikini area too although I’ve not tried it myself.

My skin is combo too and I’ve really streamlined my skincare in the last year or so. I use Avene or LRP cleanser followed by Effaclar duo and and SPF 50 in the morning. In the evening I cleanse and apply prescription tretinoid from Skin and Me and Eucerin Ultra Sensitive moisturiser (the combo skin option).

• Heart
How would you use all the gadgets? Would it be for example UFO followed by LED followed by sensilift or do you have to use them at different times of the day? Is there a specific routine to using them?
I’ve been pondering this question.

I’m off work now for 6 weeks so I’ll use the LED mask 5 mornings then do the Foreo mask twice weekly afterwards . Nuface every night going forward.

• Heart

There are a lot of products on the market that can help with pigmentation. Laser is good, but you should start with products first as they’re far cheaper!!

The best ingredients to help fade sun spots include glycolic acid, azeliac acid, vitamin C and retinol. I don’t have any sun spots personally (habitual sun avoider for life) but others may have good product recs for you.

I will say, I find Face Theory Azeliac Acid to be great for rosacea, and I know some people rate it for hyperpigmentation too.

If you want to keep your face plump, over time an LED mask is the best bet. The top rated one here is by Current Body, but other posts also recommend Dr Dennis Gross and Light Salon (I have the latter). LED masks help keep skin clear, hydrated, plump and fresh looking by stimulating collagen production.

For a slack jawline, a microcurrent device is your best bet! Posters here really rate the Nu Face. I have a Magnitone Lift Off and like it a lot, although if I’d found this thread before I purchased it, I would have gotten a Nu Face!

The Foreo UFO is more of a “fun to have” gadget. It’s like using sheet masks but better. It can definitely improve your skin but it can’t target your specific concerns here. Still, definitely a really great gadget and will make your skin glow.

Which Clarins products are you using? Their Lotus Oil is good for oily, combo skin but in general I don’t personally rate most of their skin products. Others may disagree!

I’m no expert, but from my own experiences it sounds like you may need to hydrate your skin slightly more to even out the extremes of dryness and oil, and then target your specific concerns with ingredients like retinol or Vitamin C.

I would hydrate more by doing the following: adding a gentle acid exfoliator to my skincare routine (glycolic acid suits most people and targets a lot of different skin issues, but I would probably start with mandelic acid if you haven’t used acid before, as it’s similar but far less strong. Again, Face Theory do a good one that won’t freak your face out!)

Look at glycerin-based serums and moisturisers to add hydration to your skin too. Obviously if your skin is combo you won’t want anything too heavy. Dr Shereene Idris recommends an Avene glycerin serum. Definitely have a watch of her videos to learn a lot more, she is amazing!

So basically, to put it in simpler terms you’ll need:

a cleanser (preferably a gentle one to start with)

An acid exfoliator or toner, like the mandelic acid, glycolic or azeliac acid I mentioned above. This would be the second step in your routine. Different acids do slightly different things, but they all exfoliate your skin and help cleanse it, ensuring your skin gets the best from the products you then apply.

Serums to target concerns, i.e. ageing, hyperpigmentation, dryness, oil control etc. Vitamin C would usually come under this bit - it helps brighten your skin. Niacinamide might also be helpful for your oily skin, as it helps regulate oil production and appearance of pores. There’s a whole world of serums out there so there’s a lot to think about here - start with your biggest concern and just focus on that, I think. You can add more as you go along (you don’t want to add a billion new products at once anyway, as you won’t know what’s working and what isn’t!!)

Retinol/retinoid/retinal are all the same thing in different strengths and formulas. These are vitamin A based products and are scientifically proven to increase skin cell turnover, help minimise wrinkles, clear skin and help maintain a plumper, hydrated complexion. They can be very harsh so always start with the lowest formula and work up. I really recommend the Medik8 Crystal Retinal: start with 1 and work your way up.

Obviously, you also need a moisturiser. What are you currently using? It sounds like you need a relatively lightweight gel texture, and then you could add a face oil to your drier parts. I recommend pure jojoba oil - cheap and the closest thing to our natural sebum, so works extremely well. Only use oils at night as they can interrupt your SPF.

Speaking of SPF, it’s a non-negotiable if you’re using acids and retinol - every single day, even in the depths of winter. This will always be the last step in your routine. SPF50 broad spectrum sunscreen is what you need - there’s a billion on the market, it can take a while to find one you really like. Personally I recommend Ultra Sun for face anti-ageing formula SPF50.

I have no idea - I’m a waxer (lockdown was tough 😂)

No worries! Hope my reply makes sense, and are somewhat helpful. Huge apologies if it’s overwhelming. Skincare is overwhelming at first I find and everyone’s skin is so different!

I really recommend learning some of the basics first by reading around and watching YouTube, although be aware that many of the skin care influencers have different approaches to things and it can be confusing.

I would check out the following YouTube channels to learn some basics:
Dr Shereene Idriss (dermatologist and THE BEST for general skincare advice)
Labmuffin Beauty Science (pHD in Chemistry)
James Welsh (skin influencer and much more sensible and likeable than the rest of them)
Cassandra Banks (medical aesthetician - REALLY annoying and preachy sometimes but breaks down the science of skincare nicely)

They will probably contradict each other at points, but that’s the issue with skincare - everyone seems to agree on the very basics but has a different approach on everything else!

Stay away from Hyram and Caroline Hirons… I don’t think anyone who’s truly into skincare rates either of them that highly.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
I use the Nuface for tightening and lifting of the face and the Panasonic RF (which is similar to Sensilift) for wrinkles/plumping/skin tone. I tend to use them on alternate days. The Foreo UFO is a nice 1-2-weekly treat, just like you’d use a face mask. I also use the Current Body handheld LED when I remember- maybe 2-3 times a week in the evenings when I watch TV as it takes a little longer. So they all useful for different skin concerns. I’d say the Nuface is the most gratifying as the results are instant.

For hair removal I’ve been very pleased with Smoothskin Bare+ IPL from current body. I don’t have a lot of body hair, but only after a few uses it’s sorted out my underarm and legs, which saves me the faff of shaving especially in the summer. It takes around 10 min to do both arms and legs and you use it once a week. It’s good for the bikini area too although I’ve not tried it myself.

My skin is combo too and I’ve really streamlined my skincare in the last year or so. I use Avene or LRP cleanser followed by Effaclar duo and and SPF 50 in the morning. In the evening I cleanse and apply prescription tretinoid from Skin and Me and Eucerin Ultra Sensitive moisturiser (the combo skin option).
Thanks for all the great info. I want to get into all the skincare but it's so overwhelming with all the different gadgets

Personally I use my microcurrent, then wash my gel off, do a bit of skincare and do my LED mask. I do this like 3-4 times a week, although the heatwave made me slack so need to get back to it!

If I’m using my UFO that day, I’ll usually do it afterward the UFO mask, but will sometimes do it in the evening after washing my face.

Personally I use my microcurrent, then wash my gel off, do a bit of skincare and do my LED mask. I do this like 3-4 times a week, although the heatwave made me slack so need to get back to it!

If I’m using my UFO that day, I’ll usually do it afterward the UFO mask, but will sometimes do it in the evening after washing my face.
Thanks for all the info I really appreciate it. Also thanks for sharing youtubers to follow, like you said there are some quacks out there so it's good to know who actually knows their stuff and isn't just schilling for $$$.

Thanks for all the great info. I want to get into all the skincare but it's so overwhelming with all the different gadgets
Oh, it definitely is. I’m in my 40s and a massive skincare/makeup fan but these days I want products with the most bank for the buck. Devices may cost more outright but deliver more results in the long run imo.

Reactions: 6
You'll have a gadget addiction before you know it if if you hang around here 😂

Oh, it definitely is. I’m in my 40s and a massive skincare/makeup fan but these days I want products with the most bank for the buck. Devices may cost more outright but deliver more results in the long run imo.
I'm with you on this. I would never have seen the results I've seen from my NuFace from a cream/serum etc.

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.