Beyond skincare #2 Beauty devices and procedures

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I know this is off tangent but you’re all so knowledgeable.

My hair is beginning to thin at the hairline, not noticeable to anyone but me but it’s bothering. I’ve just bought better quality biotin and supplements for my status (53 and post menopausal I think) but the advice here is so well thought out.

I’m getting it cut short next week , it only grew longer because of the lockdowns and I’m hoping less heat treatments will help ( I’m a straightening addict).

I’m a terrible hair twiddler too.

Reactions: 4
@rosemarina, as a fellow middle aged woman sending you hugs! I’m sure you actually look absolutely fine, but it’s not easy getting older, whatever people claim, is it? It’s loaded with so much subtext and expectation, especially for us women. F..ing patriarchy bullshit and all that. 😘

• Heart
I know this is off tangent but you’re all so knowledgeable.

My hair is beginning to thin at the hairline, not noticeable to anyone but me but it’s bothering. I’ve just bought better quality biotin and supplements for my status (53 and post menopausal I think) but the advice here is so well thought out.

I’m getting it cut short next week , it only grew longer because of the lockdowns and I’m hoping less heat treatments will help ( I’m a straightening addict).

I’m a terrible hair twiddler too.
Have a look at Emma Guns Instagram - she has suffered with hair loss in the past and her hair is noticeably thicker now - she's been going to a trichologist at Phillip Kingsley.

But if you twiddle your hair and use heat, it could be that it is just breaking, and to be honest, if you are a straightening addict, I'd be really surprised if there is no breakage. Mine is fine and I have lots of highlights so it is very prone to breakage but I've seen a massive difference since using the Kerastase Genesis shampoo, conditioner and heat protector (I like the Densifique range too for a bit of ooomph). Also, if you tie your hair back, invest in some silk scrunchies, lots of bands pull your hair out but they don't.

Reactions: 3
Have a look at Emma Guns Instagram - she has suffered with hair loss in the past and her hair is noticeably thicker now - she's been going to a trichologist at Phillip Kingsley.

But if you twiddle your hair and use heat, it could be that it is just breaking, and to be honest, if you are a straightening addict, I'd be really surprised if there is no breakage. Mine is fine and I have lots of highlights so it is very prone to breakage but I've seen a massive difference since using the Kerastase Genesis shampoo, conditioner and heat protector (I like the Densifique range too for a bit of ooomph). Also, if you tie your hair back, invest in some silk scrunchies, lots of bands pull your hair out but they don't.
Thanks for replying .

I’ll look up Emma Guns and the Kerastase stuff. I’ve read up on minoxidil and wondered about that.

Reactions: 5
Thanks for replying .

I’ll look up Emma Guns and the Kerastase stuff. I’ve read up on minoxidil and wondered about that.
I think you need to speak to your GP or Trichologist first. My mum is older than you but she started finding that her hairline on her forehead was getting thinner. She put off going to the GP but when she eventually got seen it was too late. They diagnosed some sort of alopecia and said because she waited so long there is nothing they can do to help but try an prevent further hair loss. My mum did go through a very stressfull time and she also suffers with a few health issues so that all could have contributed to her getting alopecia

I think you need to speak to your GP or Trichologist first. My mum is older than you but she started finding that her hairline on her forehead was getting thinner. She put off going to the GP but when she eventually got seen it was too late. They diagnosed some sort of alopecia and said because she waited so long there is nothing they can do to help but try an prevent further hair loss. My mum did go through a very stressfull time and she also suffers with a few health issues so that all could have contributed to her getting alopecia
That’s worth knowing , thanks.
It’s my one temple that seems to be receding.
I’ll try to book an appointment with a GP , see whether they’ll book me in.

That’s worth knowing , thanks.
It’s my one temple that seems to be receding.
I’ll try to book an appointment with a GP , see whether they’ll book me in.
I have that too - hair thinning/receding on one temple. I think it's quite common and age-related (I'm in my 60s). Might be hereditary - my sister has the same. Doesn't bother me hugely as it doesn't show with the way I have my hair.

My hair overall got thinner in my early 60s but biotin seemed to help and it's regained its former thickness. I also use a Klorane quinine shampoo and spray for thinning hair which I think @SqualorVictoria recommended. Not sure it's doing anything but it's pleasant to use and quite cheap. I also take the Klorane supplements in the same range.

Although I think biotin helped with the overall thickness, I don't think it helped with the receding patch - although looking at it now there does seem to be some new hair growing there.

Before biotin I'd tried a number of different supplements, including Viviscal, which didn't help. I looked into but didn't try Minoxidil. Having read up on it, I concluded that it was unlikely to work in my case (can't remember why - I think I didn't have the pattern of hair loss that could be treated successfully by Minoxidil).

Apparently PRP (the procedure where a substance extracted from your blood is injected) can work well for balding patches and works better for women than men. A think a course of 3 of 4 treatments is needed. That would be a treatment I'd try if I was unhappy about it.

I have that too - hair thinning/receding on one temple. I think it's quite common and age-related (I'm in my 60s). Might be hereditary - my sister has the same. Doesn't bother me hugely as it doesn't show with the way I have my hair.

My hair overall got thinner in my early 60s but biotin seemed to help and it's regained its former thickness. I also use a Klorane quinine shampoo and spray for thinning hair which I think @SqualorVictoria recommended. Not sure it's doing anything but it's pleasant to use and quite cheap. I also take the Klorane supplements in the same range.

Although I think biotin helped with the overall thickness, I don't think it helped with the receding patch - although looking at it now there does seem to be some new hair growing there.

Before biotin I'd tried a number of different supplements, including Viviscal, which didn't help. I looked into but didn't try Minoxidil. Having read up on it, I concluded that it was unlikely to work in my case (can't remember why - I think I didn't have the pattern of hair loss that could be treated successfully by Minoxidil).

Apparently PRP (the procedure where a substance extracted from your blood is injected) can work well for balding patches and works better for women than men. A think a course of 3 of 4 treatments is needed. That would be a treatment I'd try if I was unhappy about it.
Thanks ❤ That’s really informative and I really appreciate it.

Reactions: 2
Someone please convince me NOT to get this deal when I haven't touched my UFO or NuFace for months...

I'm hoping when work quietens down again I can get back on it with the gadgets.

Question for those with the SmoothSkin Bare+ (ordered yesterday...) can you use it on areas you don't usually shave? For example, if I wanted to use it on my face, would I have to start shaving for it to work? I really don't want to do that, but seeing as I've bought it I thought I may as well give it a go everywhere.

Someone please convince me NOT to get this deal when I haven't touched my UFO or NuFace for months...

Question for those with the SmoothSkin Bare+ (ordered yesterday...) can you use it on areas you don't usually shave? For example, if I wanted to use it on my face, would I have to start shaving for it to work? I really don't want to do that, but seeing as I've bought it I thought I may as well give it a go everywhere.
I assume you'd have to shave where ever you are using it. I paid the £20 extra for the bundle and that comes with a face shaver. If you go on the Smoothskin website they have more info.

I wanted it for my bikini area and on the Currentbody website it said not to use on pubic area, only bikini line but the Smoothskin website say not to use on your private parts so the pubic area is ok

• Heart

I need to reintroduce the Nuface, I’m with you there but I love using the UFO, it’s so relaxing❤Z

I bought the LED on that deal and again, it slots into any routine. The Nuface feels a faff , don’t ask me why, I don’t know.

• Heart
I need to reintroduce the Nuface, I’m with you there but I love using the UFO, it’s so relaxing❤Z

I bought the LED on that deal and again, it slots into any routine. The Nuface feels a faff , don’t ask me why, I don’t know.
I bought it 🤦🏻‍♀️ I agree about the NuFace, annoying because I saw such good results - same with the UFO!

Microcurrent device IS a faff. I have to really concentrate - don’t go too fast, don’t go too slow! Did I do both sides of my face equally?! Aaagghh accidentally caught my earring and electrocuted myself!

UFO and LED mask are both easier, but alas, I do not think they will help fight the effects of gravity on my skin like a microcurrent device will.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Microcurrent device IS a faff. I have to really concentrate - don’t go too fast, don’t go too slow! Did I do both sides of my face equally?! Aaagghh accidentally caught my earring and electrocuted myself!

UFO and LED mask are both easier, but alas, I do not think they will help fight the effects of gravity on my skin like a microcurrent device will.
Can't wait to get the Nuface but after reading all the threads I hope I remember to take my earrings out 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I’m going to Nuface tonight and get back into it , I was a champion for the first month or two.

Sorry to jump in and ask questions that may have been asked before. I found these threads yesterday and tried my best to read through but work and children kept interrupting.

I saw lots of recommendations for the UFO and it looks right up my street but my question is UFO vs UFO2 vs the mini versions of either. Is the 2 worth the extra? Or would I be just as satisfied with the original? Is there any benefit on going mini?

Reactions: 1
The mini is limited so I'd say go for either the UFO or UFO2. Can't go wrong with either! Slightly more settings and functionality on the 2 but the original is still great

Sorry to jump in and ask questions that may have been asked before. I found these threads yesterday and tried my best to read through but work and children kept interrupting.

I saw lots of recommendations for the UFO and it looks right up my street but my question is UFO vs UFO2 vs the mini versions of either. Is the 2 worth the extra? Or would I be just as satisfied with the original? Is there any benefit on going mini?
I went for the ufo rather than the ufo 2, purely down to the price differential, and I don’t regret it one bit. I love my ufo! It does everything I want it to, heat, cryo, all colours LED, etc. Couldn’t be happier. Obviously I haven’t tried the ufo 2 to compare it, but I’m perfectly happy with what I’ve got 😊

Reactions: 5

I have just went for this deal woops but If it helps my skin I am all here for it

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.