BBC Radio

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I can't believe how much I enjoyed his interview when we were both wary of how it would go. I could have listen to him for ages, in fact Lauren had to keep cutting him short as he was very talkative. Just a shame about his cheesy music choices - Phil Collins??!! That said, he had a good reason why he likes Phil so much.

Joanne Harris next week. I read one of her books 'Chocolat' and saw the Johnny Depp film of the same title. Didn't particularly like either, but DID often gives you a chance to hear the 'real' person.

BTW, I haven't listened to The Archers omnibus this week so will have to catch up and post on the new thread.
Yes, a pretty good episode with some dubious music.
ToTo are absolute genius 😁
I think Peter is a big softie really.

• Haha
Reactions: 1
There was an interesting interview this morning with Amanda Knox on Woman’s Hour - it will also be broadcast on Newsnight.

Johnny I’Ansin from BBC Radio Leeds is sitting in on 5Live for Dotun Adebayo all week, 1 to 5 am. Wasn’t familiar with him, but he was easy to listen to. He wanted to talk about cats at the beginning of the programme. He has two, and there were some delightful calls from cat owning listeners including one who guides her blind dog housemate around.

Reactions: 3
Listening to Jo Whiley on Radio2, christ what a sycophant interviewing Damon Albarn, "you're great"..chuckle..."no no go on"...love you Damon, or translated as give me vip passes for the family to your next show pleeeeaasee.. :sick:
Radio 2 is such a shadow of it's former self

• Haha
Reactions: 2
Dotun Adebayo is a dreadful listen, I may give Johnny a go.
I used to like Dotun but he is a terrible name dropper and rambles on and never gets to the point.

Possibly contraversial view: I've realised I cannot abide either Jane Garvey or Fi Glover. They seem to be complete R4 favourites and I don't get it. Jane Garvey particularly irritates - constant pointless irritating self deprecation when the subject literally has nothing to do with her. Random made up example - if she was interviewing an astronaut she would no doubt shoehorn in 'so you are weightless? Well you should see me. Nobody would ever consider me to be weightless'. Constant.

• Haha
I used to like Dotun but he is a terrible name dropper and rambles on and never gets to the point.

Possibly contraversial view: I've realised I cannot abide either Jane Garvey or Fi Glover. They seem to be complete R4 favourites and I don't get it. Jane Garvey particularly irritates - constant pointless irritating self deprecation when the subject literally has nothing to do with her. Random made up example - if she was interviewing an astronaut she would no doubt shoehorn in 'so you are weightless? Well you should see me. Nobody would ever consider me to be weightless'. Constant.
Good observation about Dotun. Loves the sound of his own voice.

You are right about Jane Garvey. I’ve realised it from listening to Fortunately. I was a fan of Fi Glover when she was on BBC London in the 90s. She wasn’t very well known then.

I’m listening to Johnny I’Anson and Jonathan Wingate doing The Beatles virtual jukebox on 5Live. Highly recommended. It started at 1 am and will go on until 4 am. I will listen back to the whole thing as I missed the beginning.

No Desert Island Discs at 11am tomorrow due to the Remembrance service, it's on next Friday morning at 9am with Dame Joanna da Silva.

I really enjoy Paul O'Grady on Radio 2 at 5pm on a Sunday.
Such an easy listen with a good mix of music & interaction with 'Malcolm'.
Old school radio

Further to earlier discussion on this thread as to whether BBC presenters are allowed to refer to their personal social media accounts while on air:

On BBC Radio London this morning Eddie Nestor was talking to Carrie Grant who has been awarded an MBE for her contribution to Music, Media and Charity. Eddie said he'd only just become aware of her award after seeing news about her collecting it (which I found strange as they are on the same radio station). It starts at 00:37:10 on BBC Sounds.

Eddie didn't take long to mention he has an MBE, talking about when his was awarded, with the former head of "this place" asking "What for?". Eddie told him, "David, I've got an MBE". Presumably he was referring to David Robey.

Carrie very modestly replied that people might be wondering why she got an MBE as her music was a while back but then explained that her main focus and passion is charity. She then spoke so genuinely about her charity work, not bigging herself up but sounding genuinely grateful to have a profile to be an effective advocate for other people.

At 00:46:15 Eddie asked Carrie to "tell everybody where they can catch you", Carrie replied graciously "...on Saturday mornings on Radio London...". She was not arrogant, pushy or defiant enough to give out her social media handle on air but Eddie said "Let's do this properly please, I have someone, Sadia, standing in front of me now...she's the producer, the news editor of the station and she wants us to absolutely, definitely, positively 100% to tell everybody where they can catch you". Carrie then, after apparently having been express permission by someone with authority, gave her Twitter handle "@carriegrant1".

I think the above exchange answers the questions we've been asking on these threads, as to whether BBC presenters are allowed to direct listeners to their personal social media channels. The fact that Eddie sought and declared Sadia's unequivocal permission indicates that they are not ordinarily allowed to.

Carrie Grant runs a group supporting 150 families who have children with autism, she has four children with special needs and campaigns for people with invisible disabilities, and as a person with Crohn's also advocates for suffers of that disease, and colitis. Carrie was was reticent in giving out her social media handle until clearly instructed to to so by a person in authority. BBC Radio London listeners might contrast this with the example of another presenter on the same station, Jo Good, who has persistently used the BBC airwaves to promote her personal social media channels (which are monetised, herself being the benficiary).

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 5
@VeeJayBee thank you for that very interesting and concise report. I had turned off as soon as Vanessa finished at 1000 am.

I really enjoy Paul O'Grady on Radio 2 at 5pm on a Sunday.
Such an easy listen with a good mix of music & interaction with 'Malcolm'.
Old school radio
I used to listen to Paul O’Grady a lot on a Sunday. He then disappeared for a long while, maybe illness and travelling for filming and so stopped. I also like listening to Elaine Page too. Might now do it on catchup.

@VeeJayBee and others, the virtual jukebox on Dotun’s programme is on Thursday mornings from 1 am. This week was with the sitting in presenter, Qasa Alom, along with music journalist Mark Baxter. They were discussing karaoke songs and asked for contributions from listeners.

File on 4, tx 16th November 2021 - Who is Policing the Police? It’s an interesting but chilling listen. 37 minutes long. Available on BBC Sounds App. Try to find the time to hear it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
I am concerned that financial disinformation was being imparted on BBC Radio London last night, specifically the way Jo Good handled the topic about paying duties on items one has purchased from overseas websites, now that we are not in the EU. Jo didn't know what to do after receiving an invoice for customs charges after delivery of an expensive cardigan from Italy.

Instead of the producers finding an expert to responsibly explain this as a consumer issue, responses from listeners were sought via email and phone, and were then broadcast. These did not consist merely of listeners' personal anecdotes on the topic but some listeners gave express advice. This is irresponsible at best, other listeners could well follow the 'advice' if they were in a similar position.

In short, the general concensus of the 'advice' given by the unqualifed listeners was to not pay, believing it was likely to be a scam, some saying unequivocally that you would never receive such an invoice for customs charges after a delivery. Of course one should be cautious about unexpected demands for payment but I was alarmed to hear the advice given to not pay as I know from experience that you can receive such legitimate demands from DHL, FedEX etc

I posted about this on the Jo Good thread, you can read it here giving more details of my experience on the topic, and some of the terrible advice from the listeners that the BBC allowed to be broadcast.

• Heart
Vanessa Feltz, this morning on BBC London, interviewing Raj Persaud, psychiatrist, in the newspaper slot. This was just before the 8 am news. He basically intimated that Megan Markle is a narcissist, after the stunt she pulled on the Ellen DeGeneres show.

• Wow
Vanessa Feltz, this morning on BBC London, interviewing Raj Persaud, psychiatrist, in the newspaper slot. This was just before the 8 am news. He basically intimated that Megan Markle is a narcissist, after the stunt she pulled on the Ellen DeGeneres show.
Do listen and tell me I’m not wrong. He did it in a very clever way.

Do listen and tell me I’m not wrong. He did it in a very clever way.
Yes he did. Although I am very surprised to see him pop up again, he'd had his head down for a while...
20211119_180527.jpg

20211119_180549.jpg

She’s been having him in for quite a few months now that I noticed, but I don’t know from when exactly. I rennet reading about the plagiarism after it happened.
Remember, not rennet. Damn my keyboard.

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.