BBC Radio

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ah good tip - sounds my cup of tea.
Another little gem is Bunk Bed, sometimes on at that 11pm slot. Peter Curran and Patrick Marber chatting about all manner of things for 15 mins. It is lovely, witty and sometimes laugh out loud funny. They sometimes have guests, like Kathy Burke. Highly recommended.
(I'm sure it will be on Sounds).
I believe Jarvis will be off to look closely at the moon from an Observatory.

Reactions: 1
Alex Dyke has a 3 hr music show at 10 pm on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. It goes out across many southern local BBC radio stations. No political discussions. I usually listen on catchup. He’s also fixing up the two Airstream trailers/caravans he bought. I find him soothing to listen to.

Alex Dyke has a 3 hr music show at 10 pm on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. It goes out across many southern local BBC radio stations. No political discussions. I usually listen on catchup. He’s also fixing up the two Airstream trailers/caravans he bought. I find him soothing to listen to.
You can see the music he plays by looking at the track listings after the show goes out. I think he’s been broadcasting since he was about 14. I turned to his Sunday programme after listening back to the Middle Aged Minge’s Show.

Last edited:
Noticed that two BBC employees’ new releases are being played. Cerys Matthews and Ronan Keating. Is this nepotism?

Rest in Peace. Rainbow George. George from Highgate. He died this week, according to the Camden New Journal.
706CDDD9-9B4D-4F1A-9DE8-5078DBDF2E24.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Vanessa Feltz is really going for last year’s Tory Christmas partygoers on today’s programme.

Dotun said earlier today at about 2’41 that caller Sarah from Walthamstow had died. He was paying tribute to her and Rainbow George. This was during his virtual jukebox show, and his guest was Mark Baxter. He said ge had mentioned it earlier this morning too. He called both her and George night clubbers I do remember hearing George on the Beatles virtual jukebox a few weeks ago choosing his favourite Beatles song.

Sarah was a great caller. She spoke very disparagingly about our Prime Minister, calling him by his real name of Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson.

I've listened to Dotun Adebayo a few times, especially because I do like his music and sport talk. I generally like him as a presenter and he's really good at everything really. The only bug bare is a lot of the time he won't give his own opinion on more important topics.

I remember the black lives matter talk, where he had guest and people phone in, and he often held back about giving his opinion. He spoke of a couple racist incidents in London when he was younger, but apart from that nothing.

He doesn't seem like someone who anyone would dislike though, to be fair. I remember a caller calling in and she mentioned how she didn't like Nigeria when she went, and it was just a bit of a distasteful comment while speaking to Dotun, who is a Nigerian man. I'm pretty sure she was an older white woman, so maybe she didn't think how she came across.

It sounded a bit blunt and disrespectful. He didn't really call her out or start an argument over it, but instead just carried on with the subject at hand. As I say though, he's a good, knowledgeable presenter, and he'll cover all topics well.

I enjoy the cheesy handover between Tony Blackburn and Dermot O'leary on a Sat morning.
You can tell they genuinely like each other.
Brings a smile to one's face.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I enjoy the cheesy handover between Tony Blackburn and Dermot O'leary on a Sat morning.
You can tell they genuinely like each other.
Brings a smile to one's face.
I haven’t heard that handover, but have heard other handovers he’s done with other presenters. He’s genuinely friendly and affable, and respected by other broadcasters as he’s knowledgeable and professional.

Jim Davis sat in for Hayley Hassall on 5Live last night if anyone wants to hear him. He also sat in for Jason Rosam earlier in the week, think it was Friday am.

I am fairly certain that it's general BBC policy that its radio presenters don't read out fawning, complimentary emails about themselves. Of course listeners will email in and add "I love the show", "it's great listening to you" or something similar. I've heard presenters (eg Vanessa Feltz) say things like "thanks for your email Sue and all the lovely things you said" but they refrain from going in to detail.

So just for the record I want to record here the lastest self-shout out by Jo Good on BBC Radio London. She regularly uses the BBC's airwaves to trumpet how great others think she is.

On her show last Thursday night Jo Good reads an email from listener Stephanie who wrote "Just wanna say Jo, I LOVE LOVE LOVE listening to your show". Jo breaks away to say "- sorry I know I'm not meant to read out compliments BUT I DO!"

Jo continues reading Stephanie's gushing email "...you're very uplifting funny, natural and charismatic". Jo then chimes in with faux restraint: "Sorry I wasn't planning on reading this but I will keep going..." and so continues reading the email "...you're exactly the sort of person I would be friends with which makes you ideal for the radio because it's so enjoyable and fun to listen to you I sometimes forget I'm listening to the radio it just sounds like I'm listening to a friend chatting away thanks for having such interesting guests... thanks for always being so sunny...you are light heaterted and good for the soul..."

As you read the above account you must remember that is what Jo Good read out about herself . She unashamedly takes up airtime to tell us how fantastic she is, airtime given to her on the licence payers' dime, which she uses to serve herself. In reply to another complimetary email, Jo Good thanked the writer - who is a radio listener and follower of her social media - for being "...reallly invested in me". Outrageous!

'Her' BBC radio show is there for the benefit of the licence fee-paying listening public in the local region, and Jo Good is hired to help facilitate that objective. The show is not there for her to personally seek listener's "commitment" or "loyalty" (or other cult-like words she uses), nor is it there to cross-pollinate the advertising channel she runs on YouTube which she often refers to.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
Broadcasting House on Radio 4 is a good listen this morning, Prue Leith was discussing the merits of canned food, never knew she was South African.
Dotun Adebayo also a guest, reviewing the papers & sport.

I listened to Kenny Everett on Desert Island Discs earlier. Definitely worth a listen.

I’ve been listening programmes like Broadcasting House on catch-up as BBC London has gone downhill so drastically.

I listened to Kenny Everett on Desert Island Discs earlier. Definitely worth a listen.

I’ve been listening programmes like Broadcasting House on catch-up as BBC London has gone downhill so drastically.
Coincidentally Prue Leith is next Sunday's castaway on Desert Island Discs.

Hmm, Robert Peston is Robert Elms’ Listed Londoner today, because he’s written a novel called Whistleblower. He was also on the Fortunately podcast with Fi and Jane. Not sure I will be able to listen for long.

Hmm, Robert Peston is Robert Elms’ Listed Londoner today, because he’s written a novel called Whistleblower. He was also on the Fortunately podcast with Fi and Jane. Not sure I will be able to listen for long.
I imagine there will be plenty of long pauses and ummms & aaahs.

The guest, Jack Thorne, on Desert Island Discs just now has just broken down & cried talking about his father.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.