Bad In-Laws Stories.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I can’t actually believe I forgot this one.. we moved away to be closer to my family, plus more affordable housing, better job prospects, and generally a better quality of life. FIL often says to my husband, out of my earshot, that if we were to move back they’d help financially with childcare. Just to be clear, they’re not offering to look after our baby, they’re offering to pay for him to go to nursery, but only if we uproot our lives/jobs and go back to their town

Reactions: 7
Omg mine told my mother that about me when I was pregnant. Said if their wonderful son had anything to do with me he would be disinherited as it would interfere with his wonderful career. Also the day before my daughter was born my FiL rang me up to tell me 'this child is not wanted'. We had been together about 3 years so it wasn't a flash in the pan thing.
We got married (now divorced after a long time) but I could never really forgive either of them. Of course they were then always all over my daughter like a rash and still are. I can never tell her how foul they were though. I think always the marriage was a bit doomed as my husband never ever stood up to them over this or other things tbh.
Btw his career went just fine

Reactions: 5
10 years ago my husband had depression and i was out working 2 jobs leaving home at 8am and not coming home til 10pm during the week and also had a weekend job too. I did this to purely earn money to keep our heads above water, because of the long hours i was out working i hardly saw my husband and as a result of this he had an affair which i found out about. My mother in law phoned the day the affair was discovered. I asked my MIL how she felt in the hope she would bollock her son and she replied that she couldn't blame him for having an affair as i was hardly home.
I was furious and told her that as her son wasn't working i had to juggle 3 jobs, it wasn't as if i was gambling money away. In the end i told her to f***off and leave me alone.

Reactions: 23
God where to start with mine, they are a nightmare!! My MIL is lovely she's the only one I don't have a issue with. My FIL doesn't know when he should shut up and not say anything, both times when we told them I was pregnant he didn't have great reactions to it, the first time he told my husband to not get excited anything could happen! That really got in is head and I had reassure him over everything. The second time wasn't planned he turned around told we couldn't afford another and there were other routes we could take. I fell out with didn't want him around me it took him well over a year to apologise to us about it as he never saw he'd done anything wrong.
My BIL and SIL act like spoilt little kids and get away with murder especially my SIL. She's never liked me and I've never given her a reason to not like me. She didn't congratulate us when we got engaged just had a face like thunder all day! I didn't have her as a bridesmaid but asked her to do a reading she threw her toys out of the pram and said as my husband's sister she should be a bridesmaid and told him to make me pick her. We live about an hour and half away one year for her birthday we drove down for a meal and she ignored us all night and didn't talk to us, then she wasn't happy for us when I pregnant, when I went into the hospital to be induced I was in over her birthday she said we ruined her birthday because it wasn't about her and was about us. At my baby shower she asked my other SIL who had just got engaged if they had any ideas where they were getting married she then proceeded to ask if they were getting married in a church "because that's the proper way to do with it" looked at me and smirked we didn't get married in a church and we were also sat in the room we had got married in. There's so much more she's done I could be here all day

I'm glad I no longer have any contact with my exs parents as they are as bad as him as they supported him after I finally woke up to years of domestic violence.
They told my 6 year old son that when he sees them he is not allowed to talk about mummy.
I went through hell because they brought up there son to have no respect for females.
I still remember his dad stood there at my front door after I told them to leave me alone as my nan was incredibly poorly for him to say something about a mark on his face was cancer but they got it all.

Reactions: 3
New member and loving this thread!
My mil has money and uses it like a carrot on a stick with my husband.
Before we had even had children she said she would not be one of "those Grandma's" who do childcare.
When my first was born she said she didn't want to be known as Nanny as she was not the hired help.
We told her we were thinking of moving 4 hours away to be close to my family (to the nanny who wants to help with childcare ) she offered to buy us a bigger house if we stayed. We now live 4 hours away in a static caravan!

Reactions: 16
How awful, essentially she was trying to buy you!

My mother in law could be a millionaire and I would be the same as you, not enough money in the world could get me to like her

Reactions: 4
A short while after my husbands affair and the depression, we received a phone call from the Mother In Law saying that hubby's uncle had passed away - he was really close to his uncle and was gutted that he had "died".
Uncle was a farmer and we hardly saw him only once in a blue moon, he lived in same street as in laws. He only came back to eat and sleep then go back out on farm.
There was no mention of the funeral, but as the family wasn't close we presumed we wasn't in the loop and not invited.
In time, we kept getting xmas and birthday cards where hubbys Auntie had written them and added the deceased uncles name on.
It wasnt until a few months later we had a power cut and needed electricity to warm up my 2 month old sons bottle - we decided to go to in laws house to use their elec. As we were driving along the cul de sac i looked at the Aunties house and who do i spot ......the uncle sat looking out of the window. I was shaking, hubby was speechless. I was relieved that he was alive yet upset that we was told he had passed. I headed straight to the in laws house and had it out with the Mil. She said that as she thought i would leave husband after the affair so she made it up to get me to stay as she knew the death would hurt my husband and she wanted sympathy from me. I flew into a rage saying that i have lost nearest and dearest who i would loved to have seen and i couldn't and there's her making it up.
9 months later i received a call from MIL saying said uncle had passed. I refused to believe it until i saw proof and thats where i found the obituary in local paper.
MIL passed away in 2014, i dread to think what other stories she would have made up.

Reactions: 13
I was at a family party at the weekend and my MIL was bragging about "never having worked straight in her life" she has been getting cash in hand for prob 30years now and basically was gloating that shes never been caught and were all suckers for paying tax and national insurance.
Absolutely makes my BLOOD BOIL
Even I didn't already dislike her this would make livid

Reactions: 9
My other halfs mother is ok but she has had her moments . She runs around and does everything for my other half to the point she almost walked in on us so she could hover his room ... She also informed me of how handsome her son is and how i should feel lucky to be with him...

Reactions: 6
My ex boyfriends mum used to back him up when he battered me and she said I knew how to “push his buttons” and that really annoyed me because his dad used to batter her, I told her that she and his dad were the reason that he had turned out that way and that she chose to stay in that violent life due to the fact they had a nice big house and the father had good money, when my ex was 7 years old she asked him if she should leave his daddy! She also said “the next time he is kicking your door in then don’t phone the police, phone me”, she has no car and lived 40 mins away on a bus and the police station was around the corner from me, she also used to take him uptown and buy him something new the day after he been lifted for being violent with me!!!

Reactions: 17
My own grandad (dad's dad) did this to me from ever since I was born. He always spoiled my older brother but I got nothing. My mum told him very early on when I was born that if he wasn't going to treat us equal, he wasn't welcome to our house. He sulked for some time but started to treat me better. But there was always this feeling I had and the older I got the more distant I became to him. When he was in hospital he said he didn't remember me, so I never went again. He died few weeks later. As a mum I would definitely do the same as my mum did. So maybe you should talk to him.

Just want to add that my ex, whom I mentioned above, now has a new bird and he has been violent to her too and his mum blames her also, not realising that the common denominator is her son.

Reactions: 7
My MIL also said we should have an abortion. 5 years later, and a blazing row, we finally get along.

Omg yep. My MIL has made some very uncomfortable comments like this too.

Reactions: 1
I believe that MIL’s are better on their son-in-laws than they are with their daughters-in-law, I think some mothers are honestly jealous of their sons’ partners!

Reactions: 16
My ex FIL insisted on having a key for the house. He would let himself in, go through our post, critique the tidiness of the house, sit on the sofa and watch the tv. If my ex hadn't called him during the week to tell him his exact schedule all hell would break loose and he'd let himself into the house and start shouting about how he was the last to know everything. He was overbearingly involved in the step children's lives and they could do absolutely no wrong in his eyes, he criticised and undermined our parenting at every opportunity and always had plenty to say about his perception of my shortcomings. A real horror of a FIL, still makes me stressed thinking about it now

Reactions: 11
I believe that MIL’s are better on their son-in-laws than they are with their daughters-in-law, I think some mothers are honestly jealous of their sons’ partners!
A daughter is a friend for life, a husband is a friend until his wife.
And for that reason alone, a mother in law will always resent a daughter in law.

Reactions: 9
My future mother in law has been canny until now when she’s just not listening to anything me and my other half are saying about our wedding in October

Reactions: 3