Bad In-Laws Stories.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
That’s disgusting! And from a grown woman too. Sounds like you’re well shot of her. Glad your husband stood up for you, many wouldn’t have the balls (I’m a mum of two boys, I’d never treat someone they loved that way).
It hasn't been easy, I was annoyed for a while at how it wasn't addressed. If it was my mum then I would've had to have confronted her, but he never did. Over time I grew to understand that he knew it wouldn't have changed anything.
I feel sorry for her. She's missed out on watching her eldest being an amazing dad to our four children.

Reactions: 1
I'd love to join in but honestly I find MIL SO scary I'd be afraid she'd see the post track me down and injure me in my sleep.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 54
I’m generally quite lucky but my MIL has developed a habit recently that I’m finding annoying...my little boy is 7 months old and has just started weaning. He has a dairy allergy so I’m careful with what I feed him and as he’s only 7 months I don’t feel he needs cake, biscuits etc. (People can feed their own children whatever they like, it’s just not something I do!) She just keeps going to give him cookies, cake, chocolate brownies without asking. Then when I say no she looks at me like I’m mad. I have to keep having the same conversation about how he might be allergic to it and that even if he isn’t I don’t want him to eat it!
The exact same thing is happening to me right now! 7 month old with a dairy allergy, MIL wants to give him bread and butter, cake etc. She always says ‘one tiny bit won’t hurt!’ I actually dread her visits.

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 9
Oh and another thing I’ve remembered! I could turn up head to toe in a lovely brand new designer outfit and she’d turn around and say ‘what you wearing that scruffy jacket/jumper/jeans for?’😬. I think it’s just to wind me up, she’s quite glam whereas I dress a bit more casual (jeans, boots and nice tops)

Reactions: 3
I’m generally quite lucky but my MIL has developed a habit recently that I’m finding annoying...my little boy is 7 months old and has just started weaning. He has a dairy allergy so I’m careful with what I feed him and as he’s only 7 months I don’t feel he needs cake, biscuits etc. (People can feed their own children whatever they like, it’s just not something I do!) She just keeps going to give him cookies, cake, chocolate brownies without asking. Then when I say no she looks at me like I’m mad. I have to keep having the same conversation about how he might be allergic to it and that even if he isn’t I don’t want him to eat it!
My in-laws bought my little boy an advent calendar ONE WEEK into weaning, then called me a mean mummy for not letting him eat it 😳😂

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 16
The exact same thing is happening to me right now! 7 month old with a dairy allergy, MIL wants to give him bread and butter, cake etc. She always says ‘one tiny bit won’t hurt!’ I actually dread her visits.
I have a child with a food allergy and this type of mentality drives me nuts!! (Pun not intentional!). My MIL does all manner of irritating things but fortunately trying to poison my child isn’t one of them.

I'd love to join in but honestly I find MIL SO scary I'd be afraid she'd see the post track me down and injure me in my sleep.
This made me laugh out loud. Mine has a reputation for being frightening but I’m used to it now, she’s barking and I can’t change that. The first time I met her (at my now husbands house) she asked me what I was doing there! Wasn’t sure how to answer that...

Reactions: 3
My mil planted men's clothes in my bedroom and while I was working a night shift my husband found the hoody and accused me of cheating,
Ironically this was 2 months after I found out he had been cheating.
And no, I didn't cheat😔

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 38
My sister in law (well, brother-in-laws soon to be wife) is an absolute nightmare. The most frustrating example... she always HAS to do the cooking, recently turned up to a family event I was hosting with a huge amount of food I’d expressly asked her not to bring. Because I have a nut allergy and she refuses to cook in anything but peanut oil 🙃 the most recent thing she cooked for us? Pesto pasta. I had bread and butter for dinner. The worst bit is she always gets offended, I’ve told her at least 30 times over the last 7 years that I can’t have nuts. My mother in law always says I’m just being “miserable”.

Phew, that was a rant to get off my chest 🙈
this reminds me of the pestle and mortar scene in monster in law with Jane Fonda - her and her assistant crushing peanuts into the gravy because JLos character cant eat nuts ! not sure if your SIL is a total psycho but maybe carry a epi pen with you at all times 😝

• Haha
Reactions: 5
My mil planted men's clothes in my bedroom and while I was working a night shift my husband found the hoody and accused me of cheating,
Ironically this was 2 months after I found out he had been cheating.
And no, I didn't cheat😔
That is horrific, I am sorry both of those things happened to you.

Reactions: 6
Aww I'm not alone! My MIL is a loonatic. She's done numerous things which, in my opinion compromises my kids safety, treats my young children like they are teenagers and she has done stuff i am angry at her with but the absolute worst thing she has done so far is to allow my 7 year old to have a sip of wine!
She didn't even apologize and her reason was that "she didn't want to alienate her from it and make it forbidden" or some shite like that, my child is 7!
I could understand if she was a teenager or something.

I very rarely allow her to have the children on her own because if she's like the way she is in front of us then imagine what goes on when we aren't there.
And she said many years ago to one of my family members "what they don't know won't hurt them"..!

I really do wonder how my OH survived infancy sometimes.
Sounds like my MIL. I came back from the loo once and my 3 year old son was playing with a real screwdriver she had given him 🙄🙄

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 8
Luckily we don’t see the toxic arseholes anymore but the ones that stick in my mind the most are when I was pregnant, we found out really early, and already had 2 bleeds. So I was terrified of having a miscarriage. After we had told them I was pregnant & they had done the whole congratulations crap, she turned around to me and said ‘be careful you don’t have a miscarriage’ 🙄

The whole way through my pregnancy she enjoyed telling me horror stories, one was about a baby being born with no head!
She constantly told me what I should be doing as a parent, told me to keep my one month old baby awake in the day so she would sleep more at night.. yes I’m sure that’s how that works 🙄

Also when I had given birth which ended in an emergency c section, I had my first lovely shower, got out and all fresh! Feeling good about myself, she goes and taps my partner on his shoulder, looks at my stomach & tells him to go and ask the doctor if he has left a baby in stomach 🙄

She’s an awful woman, told my partner that she wished he had never been born. Constantly would pull him down, he was utterly miserable! He cut ties with her nearly 2 years ago now & we are all so so much happier!

• Wow
  • Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 33
Sounds like my MIL. I came back from the loo once and my 3 year old son was playing with a real screwdriver she had given him 🙄🙄
Nooo, why do they do these things! 😭 Its just dangerous and stupid. They are the types to say, well we did it when we were young and we still lived to tell the tale!

Reactions: 5
I bet! I would be worried too (and am about mine!). Just always be around when she is for your own piece of mind, that's all you can do if shes not understanding.
I couldn't leave my son alone with her. Theres other things she has done (or neglected to do) but that's one of the most recent

Reactions: 2
My MIL is a 'qualified' psychologist, GP, paediatrician, meteorologist, lawyer and financial advisor who can provide unwanted expert opinions and advice on all subjects.
She also wonders why both her sons had so many 'accidents' when they were younger, now we see her with our LO, it's no bloody wonder!! She doesn't pay any attention to safety/have any common sense RE what's safe for a 2 YO to be around!! But it's ok 'cause she's done this twice before you know!'
A lot worse has happened but that's just a summary of the evil, opinionated old mare🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 15
Where do I begin?? She tried to wear a white “mother of the groom” outfit and when we told her that was bad taste, she decided to wear a dress on the exact same colour of my bridesmaids (she knew what the dresses looked like). She cried pretty much the entire ceremony because “I’m losing my baby” (lady, he was 28!). The night before the wedding she called my husband to try to convince him to call off the wedding. She sulked and left the party after my husband refused to have a slow dance with her after our first dance. She said the food at the wedding was too posh and refused to eat it. This is just the wedding day. I have 10 years worth of stories. After her latest shenanigans at Christmas (she feed my dairy allergic child some chocolate “because is Christmas” and we ended up with an a&e trip on Boxing Day) she’s on time out indefinitely (she hasn’t apologised yet!)

• Wow
Reactions: 24
My mother in law and I have a great relationship now but it was very difficult at the beginning.
My husband was “her little boy” and I was taking him away from her.
we got engaged and went to tell her. She looked up from the tv and said oh really, to her, really then went back to watching tv 😂

At our wedding she invited a whole group of her friends without telling us and as a wedding present gave us an odd amount of cash. She proudly told us that she had taken money out for the balloons that she insisted we have at the reception.
20 odd years later I love the bones of that woman.
she’s proved her self to be a fantastic grandma and a really good friend to me. We laugh now about how she hated me and she still can’t explain why

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 19