Bad In-Laws Stories.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My brother in law is literally the devil. Makes himself vomit when he doesn’t get attention. (He’s in his 30’s and is a pathetic human) also threw our wedding cake on the floor the night before the wedding

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 34
I always say I love my in-laws but I don't like them. 😁 They are completely different to my family and have very different ways to what I would consider the 'right' way. I've kind of just accepted now that they just have a different way of thinking and that's that. They are very generous to my husband and I, so I don't think anything has ever been done maliciously.
My stories...
My MIL can be a bit overbearing. When she heard my sister had given birth she rocked up to the hospital straight away. As only a limited number can visit at a time 2 of us had to wait outside (I was stupid and young, at the age of 22, and she just let my now-husband and I leave instead of leaving herself!!) My sister had only met her a handful of times!

Then at our wedding she wanted to invite the world. People who I had never met. People who my husband may have met maybe a couple of times.

My SIL didn't like the bridesmaids' dresses I had chosen (my sister and brother's wife on the other hand had no problem and respected my wishes!)

There are more I'm sure but I think these are the worst 🙄

• Wow
Reactions: 12
I always say I love my in-laws but I don't like them. 😁 They are completely different to my family and have very different ways to what I would consider the 'right' way. I've kind of just accepted now that they just have a different way of thinking and that's that. They are very generous to my husband and I, so I don't think anything has ever been done maliciously.
My stories...
My MIL can be a bit overbearing. When she heard my sister had given birth she rocked up to the hospital straight away. As only a limited number can visit at a time 2 of us had to wait outside (I was stupid and young, at the age of 22, and she just let my now-husband and I leave instead of leaving herself!!) My sister had only met her a handful of times!

Then at our wedding she wanted to invite the world. People who I had never met. People who my husband may have met maybe a couple of times.

My SIL didn't like the bridesmaids' dresses I had chosen (my sister and brother's wife on the other hand had no problem and respected my wishes!)

There are more I'm sure but I think these are the worst 🙄
Sound like my MIL!
She photocopied our evening invites (literally, a black and white photocopy on paper) and passed them out to everyone she met. Which is ironic really because she hated the fact her baby was marrying me.
She also arrived at the hospital unannounced, a few hours after our baby was born, with 2 of her friends that i had never met!! Very traumatic, complicated delivery ending in an emergency csection. I was a state, only wanting to be with my husband and in she comes with these strangers. My own mum hadnt even got to meet her grandchild yet!

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 20
Jesus, I thought I had in-law problems till I read this thread and now I think I've got it lucky!!

We have our issues, more to do with the way they treat my husband's youngest sister and her kids like they're the newly born Christ, and our daughter is forgotten in the process. The amount of times I've got into trouble for mouthing off and dearest daughter later announcing this to them... 🙄🙄🙄

But to be fair, I'm having spinal surgery this week and they couldn't be more helpful - having our daughter overnight 2 nights in a row and helping me out of hospital after surgery (husband couldn't get the time off work, and is on 12hour day shifts). To be honest I'm more narked because my mum won't come and visit me as it's forecast to 'be windy' despite the in-laws offering to pick her up (massive thing as they hate each other 🙄😂). That's a different story though... 🙄🙄

Reactions: 8
My Fil once sent me a text (completely out of the blue) saying how he loved it when I walked around the house in bare feet and that I had a sexy bum :sick:

• Wow
  • Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 69
My ex’s Mum once uploaded a load of photos from her holiday with lots of the family.. ex’s brothers / sisters their kids etc. Tagged me and ex in the post about ‘bottling happy memories!’ although we weren’t there as we were on holiday with my family.... and she tagged my ex’s ex girlfriend 😂.
She used to tell my ex tonnes of lies about her health and financial situation which put massive strains on us. She was manipulative and way she had behaved towards him as he grew up defo impacted on his adult life and the way he was in relationships. She was pure crackers and I am so glad to be out of there. My current boyfriends Mum is lovely.

Reactions: 4
My MIL has never liked me, and wouldn’t acknowledge her grandchild hardly when she was born. One day our daycare let us down and we were forced to give her a call at the last minute ( before mobile phones came) to see if she could take her for the day. She very reluctantly said yes...so my husband set off in the car and drove for an hour to her place. I was just about to set off for work, when she rang me and asked if hubby had set off yet? I said yes why? She said oh her other son (Golden Balls) had just rang to say could she come into his shop and work for him today - someone had rang in sick,
I said sorry it’s too late hubby is on his way with the baby.......
She huffed a bit and rang off....
Later that evening when he collected the baby and came home I told him the tale.....he was furious, he said if he had known he would have turned straight round and come home...
That evening we rang his brother about something else, and mentioned him asking his mum to come to work for him that day....he said he. NEVER called her!!! And no one at his shop rang in sick that day.....grrrrrr......I was fuming, His mother lied to try to get out out of looking after her......
Total witch.....I’ll never forget that😥

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 26
This.
Old cow hasn't seen our son for nearly 5 years (he is 5!). Told my husband not to marry me. Had random 'health scares' when I was heavily pregnant which meant my husband being called to her at all hours. No cards for her son or grandson, no acknowledgement. I try to have time for everyone no matter what, but shes an absolute vile old woman. I took her live in help away from her and boy she never forgot it. Her loss, better off without people like this.

Edit to say she sat with a face like thunder at my wedding too, refused pictures.. the lot! However she was up dancing, drinking and grinning away at his brothers wedding.
Sounds like my MIL !!!!! She’s passed away now !!

Reactions: 1
A load of randoms turned up on my wedding day. It was a big traditional sit-down wedding with a seating plan. Turns out my MIL had bought a cheap packet of wedding invites and invited her mates! LIVID. I’m still not over it, it’s been 8 years 😤

Sound like my MIL!
She photocopied our evening invites (literally, a black and white photocopy on paper) and passed them out to everyone she met. Which is ironic really because she hated the fact her baby was marrying me.
She also arrived at the hospital unannounced, a few hours after our baby was born, with 2 of her friends that i had never met!! Very traumatic, complicated delivery ending in an emergency csection. I was a state, only wanting to be with my husband and in she comes with these strangers. My own mum hadnt even got to meet her grandchild yet!
OMG I’m not the only one!!! This happened to me too - both wedding invites and hospital! Nightmare!

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 17
Aww I'm not alone! My MIL is a loonatic. She's done numerous things which, in my opinion compromises my kids safety, treats my young children like they are teenagers and she has done stuff i am angry at her with but the absolute worst thing she has done so far is to allow my 7 year old to have a sip of wine!
She didn't even apologize and her reason was that "she didn't want to alienate her from it and make it forbidden" or some shite like that, my child is 7!
I could understand if she was a teenager or something.

I very rarely allow her to have the children on her own because if she's like the way she is in front of us then imagine what goes on when we aren't there.
And she said many years ago to one of my family members "what they don't know won't hurt them"..!

I really do wonder how my OH survived infancy sometimes.

• Wow
Reactions: 7
Sounds like my MIL !!!!! She’s passed away now !!
I wonder sometimes if we would ever even be told she had died, so I'm assuming shes still going strong.

If anything it makes me even more determined to not be like all these mils. I have a son and you hear too many of these stories that I am absolutely not going to be 'that' woman when he grows up 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 6
In laws (mom and stepdad, bio dad not in picture due to abuse suffered) are okay i get on with them, but they excluded there son alot compared to the others he is 4th child out of 5 (3 boys 2 girls) and it really gets in my nerves when it is a niece or nephew birthday he doesn't get invited but i do i love the kids but i don't like going without him, on the other hand his brothers girlfriend is one nasty person, controlling, manipulative, likes to be centre of attention, name calling, i have witnessed her hitting him and to top it off she slept with there uncle and tried her hardest to get with my lad but his entire family lick up her arse and it drives me mad just coz she has a child

• Wow
Reactions: 3
Gosh there are some horrors!! My husband’s Mum is on the whole lovely, she’s just very different from my Mum and Nan in that there isn’t much about her that’s warm, the first time I met her and even now I’ll give a hug / cheek peck hello or goodbye and she just looks in horror. She’s very prim and proper and after an argument happened at the end of our wedding, she didn’t speak to me at all the day after because of some people’s behaviour (not involving me and foul language was used by two people involved but really not that horrific - this woman has always come from a rough area so pretty sure she’s heard worse). Literally ignored me the entire day and sat gossiping about my family at our brunch (I knew because as I walked over the entire table went quiet). She doesn’t so much now but for the first 5-6 years of our relationship brought his ex wife in to literally every conversation, often for no real reason, I’m sure just to see me squirm. She’s not very supportive of my husband but his brother who is a rude, socially inept A-hole can not have a word said against him. Not as bad as some but she often grates on me!

• Wow
Reactions: 3
I’m generally quite lucky but my MIL has developed a habit recently that I’m finding annoying...my little boy is 7 months old and has just started weaning. He has a dairy allergy so I’m careful with what I feed him and as he’s only 7 months I don’t feel he needs cake, biscuits etc. (People can feed their own children whatever they like, it’s just not something I do!) She just keeps going to give him cookies, cake, chocolate brownies without asking. Then when I say no she looks at me like I’m mad. I have to keep having the same conversation about how he might be allergic to it and that even if he isn’t I don’t want him to eat it!

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 11
Bloody hell, glad to see I'm not on my own!!
My MIL told me her son was generous with his money until he met me, spat in my face and slammed the front door on me.
All because that Xmas we had bought a house, was expecting our first child and was saving for a wedding, so we'd scaled back our budget on Xmas gifts for his family (he's one of six!!)

Haven't spoke to any of his family for 9 years now, my MIL for 12 years. My husband couldn't deal with them not acknowledging his mother's horrific behaviour and ignorance.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 14
My sister in law (well, brother-in-laws soon to be wife) is an absolute nightmare. The most frustrating example... she always HAS to do the cooking, recently turned up to a family event I was hosting with a huge amount of food I’d expressly asked her not to bring. Because I have a nut allergy and she refuses to cook in anything but peanut oil 🙃 the most recent thing she cooked for us? Pesto pasta. I had bread and butter for dinner. The worst bit is she always gets offended, I’ve told her at least 30 times over the last 7 years that I can’t have nuts. My mother in law always says I’m just being “miserable”.

Phew, that was a rant to get off my chest 🙈

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 30
I cannot stand my mother in law and I have tried really hard to like her! She smokes like a chimney and constantly stinks which she then tries to cover with cheap perfume making it ten times worse!
When she comes to stay she never helps in the house and it takes me days to get rid of the smell after she’s gone. She also loves to give sly little digs about “in her day” 🙄
However the absolute worst thing about her is that she farts constantly. She either doesn’t know she’s doing it or just doesn’t care. I’ve told my husband to tell her off but he treats her like a china doll since she turns on the waterworks at the least little thing. It honestly revolts me.
Bloody hell...we've got the same mother in law! Are we related?!

• Haha
Reactions: 4
A load of randoms turned up on my wedding day. It was a big traditional sit-down wedding with a seating plan. Turns out my MIL had bought a cheap packet of wedding invites and invited her mates! LIVID. I’m still not over it, it’s been 8 years 😤
We had a guest list on the door of our wedding for this very reason

Reactions: 7
Bloody hell, glad to see I'm not on my own!!
My MIL told me her son was generous with his money until he met me, spat in my face and slammed the front door on me.
All because that Xmas we had bought a house, was expecting our first child and was saving for a wedding, so we'd scaled back our budget on Xmas gifts for his family (he's one of six!!)

Haven't spoke to any of his family for 9 years now, my MIL for 12 years. My husband couldn't deal with them not acknowledging his mother's horrific behaviour and ignorance.
That’s disgusting! And from a grown woman too. Sounds like you’re well shot of her. Glad your husband stood up for you, many wouldn’t have the balls (I’m a mum of two boys, I’d never treat someone they loved that way).

My sister in law (well, brother-in-laws soon to be wife) is an absolute nightmare. The most frustrating example... she always HAS to do the cooking, recently turned up to a family event I was hosting with a huge amount of food I’d expressly asked her not to bring. Because I have a nut allergy and she refuses to cook in anything but peanut oil 🙃 the most recent thing she cooked for us? Pesto pasta. I had bread and butter for dinner. The worst bit is she always gets offended, I’ve told her at least 30 times over the last 7 years that I can’t have nuts. My mother in law always says I’m just being “miserable”.

Phew, that was a rant to get off my chest 🙈
Wonder if they’d feel the same way if it was one of them that had the nut allergy. Idiots.

Reactions: 5