Baby Reindeer Netflix #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
That’s the point though. The Crown doesn’t claim to be a true story. So the assumption is that it’s been dramatised. BR claims to be a true story. Not based on a true story - a true story that has not been qualified in any way. I certainly didn’t see the disclaimer after the credits when I watched the series. And it’s fair enough RG saying in interviews that Martha never went to prison in real life - but not everyone saw those interviews. It should have been all explicitly stated at the start just how true a story it was.
You'd be surprised at how many Americans think The Crown is 100% factual 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 17
That’s the point though. The Crown doesn’t claim to be a true story. So the assumption is that it’s been dramatised. BR claims to be a true story. Not based on a true story - a true story that has not been qualified in any way. I certainly didn’t see the disclaimer after the credits when I watched the series. And it’s fair enough RG saying in interviews that Martha never went to prison in real life - but not everyone saw those interviews. It should have been all explicitly stated at the start just how true a story it was.
But you know they are real people and they depict historic/true timelines events. What's the difference?

It's also typed in the font of the emails and it's like the end of scene one. It's not a disclaimer that it is a true story, it's part of the story 🤷‍♀️

Yes, a lot of people might not watch the credits, or skip ahead to the next episode of the show they are binging, but it doesn't mean they didn't put it out there...
It's like when my kids wants to buy one of those cupcake mixes and we never read the box properly... Right on the front, in small text "icing not included." Did I notice? No. Thanks, Mr. Kipling🙄, kids were not impressed with my icing cause they didn't look like the bright orange dinosaur cupcakes in the box 😂 but it was printed, yes in small print but the information was there, I didn't look for it.

I'm assuming if they could go back in time, they may have put a disclaimer at the start to prevent this weird tit show of feeling sorry for a stalker who went on to out herself on Piers Morgan...

I'm going to repeat, I was washing the dishes when I started watching this and had totally missed that it said it was true or not. It didn't change my experience of watching the show 🤷‍♀️
---
You'd be surprised at how many Americans think The Crown is 100% factual 😂
Probably the same with Braveheart 😂😂

Last edited:
Reactions: 12
I’d think would be more inclined to think The Crown is a true story because it names real people that everyone has heard of. To be that overly literal about Baby Reindeer - Gadd hasn’t said Fiona has done anything, only Martha, and ‘Martha’ doesn’t exist.

Reactions: 12
Piers has reposted this saying she needs to an agent - is he admitting that his “show” took advantage of her?

IMG_4244.jpeg

Reactions: 6
That isn't what she actually said though, that's why people keep pointing it out. She said she can't remember all the grades because she took 13 subjects, 5 minutes after saying she has a photographic memory. Also (and this part is my ignorance of the Scot system) even if you get an ordinary degree, would you not also have module grades for the 13 subjects? Someone mentioned you can decide to leave with ordinary after 3 years so I'd assumed that meant you'd still have grades for each subject as if you were following it up to honours, but getting a degree without an overall grade wouldn't mean you don't have grades per module? Or is that totally wrong? E.g. she could've had all 2.1s in her individual subjects but her degree is ungraded?
That isn’t how an ordinary degree works in Scotland. An ordinary degree is simply either a pass or a fail. Piers kept asking her again and again for the grade for her degree. He never once asked her to reel off her % marks for all the modules over her 3 years at uni. FH even asks him ‘do you want the marks for my modules?’ or something similar. He ignores that and keeps asking for her degree grade. She was rightly confused as he was persistently asking for something that doesn’t exist.
Not sure why this is such a difficult concept to grasp! 😅

• Heart
Reactions: 22
Omg can someone tell me who this irritating green spot of a woman is please??? Iman? Why piers had her on the panel baffles me. 🫠

totally spoiled a potentially interesting debate!

She is so, so condescending! "Let me break it down-" No thanks, I think I know what capitalist and moral mean.

I also disagree with her. Fiona H might be unwell, but she has a right to tell her side of the story, as RG does. She has not been convicted in the case, so she is not legally less free than him to talk about what happened between them. I believe it is wrong to stop people from doing things because they have some level of eccentricity or mental illness. Yes I think FH was badly advised to go on PM, but that's just my opinion, and she is allowed to do what she likes (providing it isn't illegal). We cannot morally say "This person is too weird for me, I declare that they should not be able to make their own decisions." She is allowed her own opinion on whether it's right to give an interview, no matter how much we may disagree with it.

The legal barrier for depriving someone of their liberty to make their own life choices is, rightly, extremely high.

I have a family member with autism. The drive to want to protect her from making decisions that scare me is strong. But she is an adult and has not been found to be bad enough to be deprived of her liberty. Sometimes I want to be like "No don't be friends with those people, they suck!" But I have to remind myself that she has as much right to do what she likes as I do. If we started saying that people who are strange or have some kind of cognitive condition are not allowed to decide they want to be interviewed, where will it stop? Should we stop Kanye from pursuing his career? Should we stop Pete Davidson from going on tv? What would we allow them to do? Sit at home with no access to the internet?

We cannot decide to deprive someone of speaking publicly just because we think what she has to say is crazy. We're free to not watch it, or to think it's in bad taste, but I think it is literally wrong to no-platform someone because they have a mental illness. That would lead to the scenarios above.

Did PM revel in the clicks and views? Undoubtedly. Is FH mentally ill in some way? Probably. Should PM have refused to have her on the show? I don't know. But should we say that FH should not be allowed to tell her story in public, by anyone on any platform? Absolutely not. To do so would be to refuse someone free speech and the chance to stand up for herself, on the grounds that she may have a disability. That is abhorrent.

I'd like to say that to Missy Let Me Break That Down.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
One more thing. I think I've just realised what "wee green spot on his face" means. I think it means he had a bogey on his face. That's been bugging me for days!

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 6
I get bad vibes about James English. He’s just another twit wanting to cash in on the vulnerable who find themselves in bad situations. Not necessarily talking about FH, but many of his interviews don’t sit right with me at all.

Reactions: 20
That isn’t how an ordinary degree works in Scotland. An ordinary degree is simply either a pass or a fail. Piers kept asking her again and again for the grade for her degree. He never once asked her to reel off her % marks for all the modules over her 3 years at uni. FH even asks him ‘do you want the marks for my modules?’ or something similar. He ignores that and keeps asking for her degree grade. She was rightly confused as he was persistently asking for something that doesn’t exist.
It’s not difficult to understand that the overall degree classification is not graded but you didn’t really answer my question. Do the modules have grades or not? Because Fiona literally said she can’t be expected to remember all her grades, after saying she has a photographic memory. She also said her marks weren’t top of the class. So which is it? Did she not get any grades as ‘that isn’t how it works’ or did she in fact get some grades, while her overall degree is pass or fail? If she didn’t get grades at all, why would she say her marks weren’t top of the class? You can’t be top of the class if it’s pass or fail, which indicates by her own admission she did receive grades on individual modules or pieces of work even if overall she was simply awarded a pass? I don’t think it’s a difficult question. I think her dodging it in such a bizarre way is why people keep asking about it. Doesn’t help that she’s obviously talking tit.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8
@judgejohndeed from googling it seems like students on ordinary degrees do get grades per subject, recorded as an official pass, but she would still know if she’d done well or badly in each subject…she’s made it very convoluted, she probably did terribly. No way you’d remember the results of your school subjects but nothing from a whole degree 🥴

Reactions: 5
She is horrible, don’t know why anyone believes a word she says or feels sorry for her!

Reactions: 17
He thought she'd completed the LLB
---
Interesting. How much should she have been paid I wonder
....£250 which I believe she got.....it's a standard fee

Reactions: 3
@judgejohndeed from googling it seems like students on ordinary degrees do get grades per subject, recorded as an official pass, but she would still know if she’d done well or badly in each subject…she’s made it very convoluted, she probably did terribly. No way you’d remember the results of your school subjects but nothing from a whole degree 🥴
You get marks for each assignment/exam you do and then the subject is a pass/fail. The overall degree is then a pass/fail based on how you done in the subjects.
I remember my schools exam results from 1999 but only know I passed my degree in 2013. I did get a couple of As but couldn’t tell you what for 😂. But I don’t have a photographic memory like FH claims to have.

Also, James English is a head. Mr Whatsallthat has known him since they were teenagers. Can’t stand him.

Reactions: 3
It’s not difficult to understand that the overall degree classification is not graded but you didn’t really answer my question. Do the modules have grades or not? Because Fiona literally said she can’t be expected to remember all her grades, after saying she has a photographic memory. She also said her marks weren’t top of the class. So which is it? Did she not get any grades as ‘that isn’t how it works’ or did she in fact get some grades, while her overall degree is pass or fail? If she didn’t get grades at all, why would she say her marks weren’t top of the class? You can’t be top of the class if it’s pass or fail, which indicates by her own admission she did receive grades on individual modules or pieces of work even if overall she was simply awarded a pass? I don’t think it’s a difficult question. I think her dodging it in such a bizarre way is why people keep asking about it. Doesn’t help that she’s obviously talking tit.
Individual modules are not given grades as such. You get a mark out of 100% with 40% being a pass and below that being a fail, therefore your modules receive a pass or fail. The % is irrelevant as all you need to know is whether you passed or failed - it has no bearing on your overall degree grade. This obsession with the word ‘grade’ is so strange and isn’t the gotcha you think it is. IT’S EITHER A PASS OR A FAIL. Ultimately Piers didn’t ask her what her module grades are - he asked her what her degree grade was. The classification (grade) for an honours degree gets decided if you stay on for the 4th year and is based on your work in that final year which she didn’t do. She didn’t dodge the question, the question didn’t make sense and came from a place of ill-informed ignorance. Ask any Scot with an ordinary degree what their grade is, and they’ll tell you the same thing. It’s a pass or a fail.
---
I remember my schools exam results from 1999 but only know I passed my degree in 2013.
Totally agree with this. I can remember my standard grade & higher results, but couldn’t for the life of me guess what my % marks were for individual modules at uni. All I know is I passed!
---
Regarding her claim to have a photographic memory, I call BS as it’s incredibly rare and isn’t even a scientifically proven thing. In any case, if she did have a photographic memory, that wouldn’t necessarily mean she’d remember her module %s as it’s not a visual memory like a photo and according to the quick google I did, you wouldn’t remember every single thing you’ve ever looked at in perfect detail.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.