Argument with boyfriend- advice needed please

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Can someone tell me if I am being unreasonable here.

It’s my birthday in 2 weeks, and since August my boyfriend and I have had a long weekend city break away booked (Thursday-Monday). We’ve made plans as to what we’re doing on each of the days and I was really excited for it. (It might be worth mentioning my boyfriend and I don’t live together and don’t get to see each other on a regular basis). We have been together for 2 years.

Yesterday my boyfriend told me that his manager has asked him to attend a conference in Switzerland which would overlap with our weekend away. He would have to leave on the Sunday as it starts on the Monday. He said he was considering going but hadn’t fully made up his mind and wanted to talk to me about it. His reasons for wanting to go are that it would be good for him to be mixing with the senior people in the business and would be good exposure for him and he would learn things at the conference, etc. Which I do understand. But I explained very clearly I was unhappy with the fact it would overlap on our weekend away and that it was my birthday and I felt a bit hurt he was even considering it, especially as we don’t get a huge amount of time together as it is. And he said that I’m being selfish and childish making it all about me and that I’m in my 30’s and I shouldn’t be so fussed about a birthday. Also that he is the one who booked the air b’n’b and would be doing the driving and that he has planned what restaurants, etc we would be going to so I have no right to be annoyed with him, and that in actual fact he should be annoyed with me because I’ve not done anything at all to prepare for this trip (but I’ve always made it clear I was really excited to go and that I’ve been really looking forward to it and have always shown appreciation for him arranging things when he has told me he’s booked a restaurant or an activity).

He said he could maybe fly out first thing on Monday morning as opposed to flying on Sunday, but even then I just know the fact he’s going to this conference will overshadow the entire weekend away. He will definitely be doing a lot of prep work for it because that’s just what’s he’s like. When we went abroad in the summer together we were in a lovely restaurant with gorgeous surroundings and he was sat there oblivious responding to work emails on his phone and complaining about work related matters. We took a trip to the coast earlier in the year and he bought his laptop with him and was doing bits of work during the evening (despite him promising me he wouldn’t).

He’s making me out to feel like I’m crazy and unreasonable and I don’t know what to think. I know his job is important to him and I know what it entails (we work at the same company but different departments). But equally I don’t think it’s outrageous of me to expect my boyfriend to actually make the most of the time off we have together, especially when it’s my birthday.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 12
I understand why you are upset if you have been excited about the trip. Is there anyway you can change it to a different date? Even if it’s after your birthday it would be something to look forward to.

If this is a good opportunity for his career then I can see his point too. If it was me and I was in this situation and I knew it would boost my husbands career I would tell him to go and try and rebook the trip for another time. I know that’s easier said than done if things are booked and non refundable though.

Sorry you’re upset but sometimes there is a bigger picture in life. He’d also maybe resent you if he ended up not going to the work thing and could cause problems in your relationship further down the line.

Is he a good boyfriend and does he treat you well normally?

Reactions: 19
If he wants to go then let him go. Otherwise you'll just spend the Monday feeling guilty, it'll take the shine off it all.
Tbh I'm with him on the birthday thing, birthdays aren't really that big of a deal when you're an adult.
I know I would feel the same as you do but I'd swallow it down and get on with it. If his work is an issue with you then maybe you need to rethink if this is the right relationship for you, it's not really fair to try and change him.

Reactions: 20
I think you both are right in your own ways. The most salient thing to me is this isn’t the first incident and it probably won’t be the last. It sounds like this company doesn’t afford him a good work life balance.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
It’s only one day early. Not a big deal.

You are overreacting imo. You’ve still got plenty of time to enjoy your break away but it sounds like there are bigger issues here.

• Sad
If he can cancel the trip for your birthday could you not go to Switzerland instead? You could fly out on the Thursday and come back on the Monday and leave him to his conference. He’d already be there so wouldn’t be stressing and you get to have a break together.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
It sounds like a great opportunity for him and I would tell him to go. You have a right to be upset because you were looking forward to it so much, but some things are more important than a birthday. Try to rearrange the trip if you can. It'll be more enjoyable when you are both focused on just the trip.

Reactions: 14
If it’s important for his job, then I can understand why he would want to go and I personally wouldn’t have an issue with it, if it was my partner. You’d still be getting a few days together, so it really wouldn’t bother me.

in terms of him doing a lot of work, responding to emails etc outside of work, that wouldn’t and doesn’t bother me either. My partner works so hard in his career and I’m so proud of him for it. I don’t mind if he’s always answering emails and staying up late doing work things, because I’m so proud that he wants to do well in life and I’m happy for him because he loves his job and he gets a lot of job satisfaction.

the only thing that I would say is, I don’t really like your boyfriends reaction to your reaction. I’m not saying he can’t have an opinion or be upset, but if he did phrase things in the way you’ve said he did, then I wouldn’t be happy at that. It all sounds like a messy relationship to me.

Reactions: 15
Am I missing something? Wouldn’t Thursday to Sunday morning be long enough for you to enjoy your birthday? :-S

He’s arranged it all and is career oriented. Are you not? You seem to be a bit.. off about it. Why don’t you see him that much?

things like this seem to happen regularly. I went to see him last weekend and we had plans to go out for dinner on Saturday night. A few hours before our booking he turned around and said to me that he forgot the F1 was on at 8pm and he HAD to watch it (he could have recorded it and watched it when we got back). I suggested this to him because I really wanted to go out for dinner and we had obviously made plans to do it and it seemed silly to cancel it just to watch F1 that he could record. And it caused a huge argument and we ended up staying in so he could watch it live.

Am I missing something? Wouldn’t Thursday to Sunday morning be long enough for you to enjoy your birthday? :-S

He’s arranged it all and is career oriented. Are you not? You seem to be a bit.. off about it. Why don’t you see him that much?
We have different jobs despite working in the same company. I’m not as into my job as he is. We don’t see each other much due to him working away a lot and I have children from my previous relationship so it can be hard sometimes.

things like this seem to happen regularly. I went to see him last weekend and we had plans to go out for dinner on Saturday night. A few hours before our booking he turned around and said to me that he forgot the F1 was on at 8pm and he HAD to watch it (he could have recorded it and watched it when we got back). I suggested this to him because I really wanted to go out for dinner and we had obviously made plans to do it and it seemed silly to cancel it just to watch F1 that he could record. And it caused a huge argument and we ended up staying in so he could watch it live.

We have different jobs despite working in the same company. I’m not as into my job as he is. We don’t see each other much due to him working away a lot and I have children from my previous relationship so it can be hard sometimes.
Also we live 1.5hrs apart

We could change it to a different weekend but it would be after Christmas. And part of the reason why I wanted to go to the place we are going is because I wanted to go to all the Christmas markets there

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I am on your side here. It sounds like you’re not his priority and that work is, which is fine. However I would agree to leave it and see if he goes to the effort the rearrange and make it even more special.

Reactions: 16
I would be really disappointed and I think I would react in the same way as you but maybe after thinking about it for a while I don’t know if I’d be as annoyed and it seems like he is trying to make it work still. It’s really disappointing especially when you’re excited but it’s not like he wants to cancel for a night out with the boys. I think I would either be happy to have the trip and cut it short on the last day or look at rearranging for another weekend and maybe do something different for that one, nice meal or something.

Ive just read the last two paragraphs and I’d maybe be more annoyed about the fact that all special occasions seem to be impacted by his work, so yes actually I think I would have the right hump about this on second thoughts!! X

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
And he said that I’m being selfish and childish making it all about me and that I’m in my 30’s and I shouldn’t be so fussed about a birthday. Also that he is the one who booked the air b’n’b and would be doing the driving and that he has planned what restaurants, etc we would be going to so I have no right to be annoyed with him, and that in actual fact he should be annoyed with me because I’ve not done anything at all to prepare for this trip (but I’ve always made it clear I was really excited to go and that I’ve been really looking forward to it and have always shown appreciation for him arranging things when he has told me he’s booked a restaurant or an activity).

We took a trip to the coast earlier in the year and he bought his laptop with him and was doing bits of work during the evening (despite him promising me he wouldn’t).

He’s making me out to feel like I’m crazy and unreasonable and I don’t know what to think. I know his job is important to him and I know what it entails (we work at the same company but different departments). But equally I don’t think it’s outrageous of me to expect my boyfriend to actually make the most of the time off we have together, especially when it’s my birthday.
You're not crazy and you're not being unreasonable. The one thing that stood out for me was the invalidation of your feelings. You're allowed to feel disappointed without being told how you should feel. You have a right to express feeling annoyed at him without it being turned around to why he should be annoyed at you instead.

The previous examples just show that work is more important for him at this moment.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
I believe Switzerland is supposed to have nice Christmas markets. Conferences will also arrange activities for partners of attendees. You could have a great time.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
There isn’t anything for partners at the conference. Also it’s not an option for me to go to Switzerland with him as I can’t afford it.

When he told me about it, he wasn’t unsure of going because of my birthday. He was unsure of going because there would be people there he wouldn’t know and he was nervous about the social aspect of it. He didn’t consider me at all in the situation.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 15
Me, I'd probably sulk a bit that plans changed but would understand how important the conference is for him and wouldn't dream of expecting him not to go (I'd just ask for a massive Toblerone or something)

But I'm the same as him, in the fact that I do really thing birthday's are a special thing when you're an adult. After you've had twenty odd they don't mean anything.

Reading replies tho it sounds more like its about more than this weekend, everything he does seems to annoy you/you have different priorities.
An hour and half isn't far apart really - can you really not fit enough chance to see each other in for two months? (after Christmas?)

Reactions: 1
I have 2 young children from a previous relationship so it’s not always easy to go away together for a weekend etc without a lot of planning in advance.

It’s not entirely the fact that the weekend would have to be cut short due to the conference. It’s more the fact that he would without a doubt be spending time preparing for it and doing work in advance of it and taking calls, etc about it. I know it would annoy me and he would get annoyed with me for being annoyed. And it would result in a big argument

Honestly it’s just making me want to cancel the whole thing. I can literally picture him being all twitchy dying to watch a PowerPoint presentation, etc, to prepare for this conference whilst we’re out for dinner or something.

• Sad
Reactions: 6
Maybe I'm totally out of line here but with the F1 argument too it sounds like he's ready to split, but by making you break it off so you look like the bad guy....have you got a close girl friend who would go away with you to celebrate? If not have a crazy weekend with your little ones and don't invite him. .... Obviously I have had my fair share of crap partners 😂

Reactions: 21
I agree he’s not factoring your feelings at all, and it’s not the first time!! Get rid, you’re worth more x

Reactions: 11
It seems to me that the problem here is that you're not his first priority - his work is and he puts that first. You just have to decide if you're OK with him always putting his work first, working when you're away on holiday etc. as the likelihood is that he won't change. Maybe you are just not suited in this respect. Is your relationship good otherwise? If it is then maybe you can talk about this and reach a compromise. However, since he also puts F1 above a night out with you (?!) it looks to me like you're a bit down the pecking order when it comes to his priorities. He sounds a bit selfish. I would not be impressed if I had a night out planned and my partner made a fuss about staying in to watch F1 (which he can easily record and watch later!)

Something is amiss!