Anyone find looking young a curse?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So many posters on here look much younger. I really wanna see some photos.
I don't want to put photos of myself on here because I don't want people I know in real life to see me.

If we did all put photos up, someone would accuse some of being heavily filtered.

Recently we had someone fail the challenge 25 at work. It was in the newspaper. The place etc. People are scared to ask because someone might get offended,. But that person got sacked and the store got a huge fine. i don't get a tit If i offend someone. I ask because I don't want to be the one who gets it wrong. They look at it as challenge 25/30 so someone underage doesn't get a knife or something else they shouldn't get... Look at it that you look young for your age and count it as a blessing not a curse.. But people have their jobs on the line and I know that. I really don't care if you are 30 and look 17...
If you asked someone who was way above 25 /30 would you comment on how they look to justify why you asked or would you sell the goods and move on ?
It's the comments etc I have a problem with.
I don't care what people think of me ,I care when they tell me what they think .

Recently we had someone fail the challenge 25 at work. It was in the newspaper. The place etc. People are scared to ask because someone might get offended,. But that person got sacked and the store got a huge fine. i don't get a tit If i offend someone. I ask because I don't want to be the one who gets it wrong. They look at it as challenge 25/30 so someone underage doesn't get a knife or something else they shouldn't get... Look at it that you look young for your age and count it as a blessing not a curse.. But people have their jobs on the line and I know that. I really don't care if you are 30 and look 17...
If you asked someone who was way above 25 /30 would you comment on how they look to justify why you asked or would you sell the goods and move on ?
It's the comments etc I have a problem with.
I don't care what people think of me ,I care when they tell me what they think .
I really don’t mind cashiers asking I am perfectly used to it. But I HATE the expression that it is a blessing. It is really not a blessing to have someone patronise you every moment of your life 🤷🏻‍♀️
Yes! These days 'blessings ' shouldn't be based on appearance

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 3
Yes and no. I am 28 a week on Saturday but I don't look my age at all. I look around 18-20 I'd say.

The ways in which it is a curse I find are frequently getting asked for ID, I have worked in hospitality so I fully understand and don't get offended/annoyed but it is just frustrating when I haven't got it with me as it can be embarrassing when you feel like everyone is looking at you. For example I was in Tesco yesterday, was actually buying alcohol free beer and I got asked for ID for it, I didn't have my purse with me only my phone to use with Apple Pay and I tried to make a joke of it saying I'm not actually buying any alcohol though, I wasn't being a knob and understood it was my own fault but he just flounced off with the beers and said doesn't matter it's store policy. I got my boyfriend who is 40 and was waiting outside to go back and buy me some 😂 I also once got ID'd for a scratch card when I was with my boyfriend which he found really embarrassing!

I had one really bad experience though this Christmas just gone in Morrisons. I was doing the big Christmas food shop and I had Prosecco and beer etc, the checkout lady asked for my ID which I did have and she took one look at it and just said 'doesn't look anything like you!' and refused to serve me. It was so embarrassing as there was a big queue and everyone was staring at me. I was insisting that it was me and was trying to show her my bank/credit cards and she still refused to serve me and was quite confrontational. I get quite anxious sometimes so I just said OK whatever and just paid for my giant food shop and left and stopped somewhere else for the drinks on the way home but realise I should have asked to speak to the manager as it was ridiculous.

Being an August baby I was the last of my friends to turn 18 so I used to feel left out all the time when they all started going out into town and going clubbing etc as I stood no chance of blagging my way in anywhere, I spent my weekends working or at home with severe FOMO, if only I'd known clubbing is actually massively overrated and I don't enjoy it at all 😂

I have quite a responsible job in a very male dominated industry and I have to really prove myself sometimes with well established clients before they will take me seriously whereas with the middle aged blokes they're used to they just automatically would do. I have had one customer literally say 'how old are you?!' when I arrived which I just thought was totally rude!

My mum doesn't look her age at all, she's 70 in a few weeks and looks at least 10 years younger! I look at some of the people I went to school with and they are the total other end of the spectrum and look way beyond their years so I think I'd rather have it this way 😊

• Wow
Reactions: 2
I'm 25 and was in the Asda the other week pushing my son in his pram. I got ID'ed for a can of red bull, I didn't have my ID. They said my son 'could of been my brother' 🤦‍♀️
My oldest was in their teens when my youngest was born and people (in general) tend to think a large age gap is odd. Then you get people who think a parent is a sibling, when there's obviously a bigger age gap.

It should be “Everyone thinks my mum is my sister”.
There are celebs that have always are in their mid/late 30s and I think look younger ( but not in a celeb youthful way) . Examples I can think of Tina O'Brien, Meghan Markle, Avril Levigne. And Carly Rae Jepsen, I genuinely thought she was a teenager

Reactions: 1
There are celebs that have always are in their mid/late 30s and I think look younger ( but not in a celeb youthful way) . Examples I can think of Tina O'Brien, Meghan Markle, Avril Levigne. And Carly Rae Jepsen, I genuinely thought she was a teenager
I especially agree with Avril Lavigne and Tina O’Brien. Carly got a pixie and it put on a few years I think. I’m trying to think of others. In the 50s obviously Gwen Stefani. I don’t know if you ever watched NCIS but the actress who played the gothic girl is around 50.

I especially agree with Avril Lavigne and Tina O’Brien. Carly got a pixie and it put on a few years I think. I’m trying to think of others. In the 50s obviously Gwen Stefani. I don’t know if you ever watched NCIS but the actress who played the gothic girl is around 50.
Gwen Stefani has had so much botox/surgery though, I don't think she looks younger than her years

Gwen Stefani has had so much botox/surgery though, I don't think she looks younger than her years
I think this is the kinda celebrity-young Kim was referring to. I still wouldn’t have put her as old as fifty when you compare her to her contemporaries.

The Daily Mail occasionally runs those “Everyone thinks my daughter is my sister article” and you’ve got some 38 year old who woman who dresses like a teen, and looks like a 48 year old in the face 🙊
Mums groups and ladies banter groups often do "How old do I look?" threads along with a procession of really heavily filtered pictures making it impossible to guess!

• Haha
I found it a curse when at the age of 21 I was walking home from work with a throbbing headache so popped into Asda to get some paracetamol and I was asked to show ID.. u have to be 16 to buy it so clearly I looked young - maybe I had no make up on that day 🤣 25 now and about to give birth to my 2nd child and I think that’s aged me now as I don’t get ID’ed for anything anymore 🤣

7AECF4AE-1ED7-45A6-A66C-FE590430DD35.jpeg

Emily MacDonagh/Andre is one of the best examples of someone in the limelight who looks much younger than their years.

Not only has she a baby face, but her complexion is also dewy.

Some have the baby face, yet also the wrinkles.
Some have a wrinkle-free face but look mature.

Emily’s got the best of both, a wrinkle-free baby face.

Yes! I'm 30 now and it still troubles me that I get ID'd and colleagues are so shocked when I say how old I am. They think I'm early 20s. I don't wear make up (unless going out for something special) and have never really bothered with my appearance, my hair i just leave long, so I wonder if this is why. It does bother me though, my hubby gets ID'd sometimes still too, he's 28.

The cosmetic surgery industry is forever booming because so many people are paying big bucks to look younger.

It’s not a curse to be 35 and getting ID’d for a bottle of wine. The real curse is to be in your early fifties and asked if you have your bus pass.

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I’m 47 but a lot of people think I’m mid 30’s. The only real problem I had was in America when I needed to be 21 to get into a gig and the doorman tried to refuse me entry as I had no id ... I was 35 at the time 🤣 He eventually let me in but I had to have a hand stamp stating I was under 21 so no alcohol 😆

I had problems getting served in pubs, getting in clubs and buying alcohol up until the age of around 28. I didn't see it as anything other then people doing their job in terms of the kaw of the land. It wasn't my fault I looked younger but at the same time it wasn't the fault of people just doing their job. I found it annoying at times but I didn't feel offended or condescended. I don't know why people get so melodramatic and negative. There are far worse things to be offended by.

I had problems getting served in pubs, getting in clubs and buying alcohol up until the age of around 28. I didn't see it as anything other then people doing their job in terms of the kaw of the land. It wasn't my fault I looked younger but at the same time it wasn't the fault of people just doing their job. I found it annoying at times but I didn't feel offended or condescended. I don't know why people get so melodramatic and negative. There are far worse things to be offended by.
Is anyone saying they get offended etc in terms of getting ID'd? I haven't seen that. I understand that it is peoples' job. I only wish I looked more my age.. so it irritates me in that sense (not their fault or mine!) I don't blame anyone. I also put myself into their shoes and think how hard it must be judging peoples' ages!
However, i can understand in OPs case, where people in everyday situations are bringing up her age and saying you don't look old enough to have children. That is a bit more personal and doesn't need bringing up!

I was getting asked for ID up to around 35. i did look a lot younger, then I seemed to age really quickly now I’m in my 40s I think I do look my age.

I based my comment on seeing other ones where it mentions finding it offensive and/or condescending.
Oh ok. One time I did get annoyed when I was accompanying my other half at supermarket. He was buying himself beer, and they asked for my ID. I wasn't the one buying it and i didn't have my ID with me (we were mid 20s). They refused to sell it to him. I've never worked in retail so I don't know the rules, but I didn't realise you couldn't buy alcohol if accompanied by someone underage..