Anyone find looking young a curse?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Yep. In my my mid thirties now and still sometimes get given a cheaper bus fare (I correct them), asked for ID when buying alcohol, people tend to talk down to you a bit. I was in Tesco not too long ago and an elderly lady asked me what stationary I use at school because she was trying to find something for her granddaughter, it was so cute but I actually looked behind me to check she was speaking to me haha. I helped her of course.

When I was 23 I moved to London and felt so grown up until I went to buy a 15 rated DVD and the cashier wouldn't sell it to me. I was so ashamed.

I taught abroad for a bit and on the day before school began I went in for the first time for a meeting and as I walked in I was ushered to the school uniform pick up line with the students. I was 30. My (year 11) students looked older than me.

I had to give a passport photo into my boss at a new job for an ID card, I had tied my hair up for it which I never usually do and she said: "Ohh how old were you in this? Awwww you look so sweet!" "...I had it taken 3 days ago." AWKWARD SILENCE.

So yeah. Annoying sometimes in work situations as I'm often treated like a recent graduate in new jobs by people who are younger than me which really gets boring but I don't mind it if I get to look young for a while longer. The general concensus is I look about 22 now so that's perfect!

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 4
Haven’t had a problem with it, just one time a woman who sees me regularly thought i was in year 15 when i was 21.
I would love to look young when I’m older ngl😂

Reactions: 1
Haven’t had a problem with it, just one time a woman who sees me regularly thought i was in year 15 when i was 21.
I would love to look young when I’m older ngl😂
Yeah I'm early 40s, have always looked younger (I'm also pretty short) and I quite like it now. Someone said the other day "you must've been a really young mum"..I was 34 when I had my son, so...no :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
I hated it more when I was younger. When I was going to clubs at 18 I looked about 14/15 I always was asked for I.D right up until I was 25/26. I’m now 29 and married and when I tell people who don’t know me that I’m married their always like aren’t you a bit too young to be married which kind of annoys me but aside from that doesn’t really bother me much anymore
See,I was always told I looked older during my mid- teens, I don't think people ever mentioned they thought I looked younger until I was in my 20s.

I suppose I don't like the judgement and the scrutiny. I find it quite embarrassing.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I think once you turn 50 you will wish for these days back 😂 Take it as a compliment because you wont look young forever. It's really annoying when people get abusive to people who ask for ID when there jobs are on the line. Also people who work in shops/bars have a huge pressure from trading standards. They have to be very careful with ID. Some places it's challenge 30 and some challenge 25. They get so many test shoppers to check if you have ask someone for ID. If you fail its in the newspaper and you will lose your job and get a huge fine or your employer will get one.
I completely support cashiers etc requesting ID (in a respectful way), have worked in retail before and was told to check if I had any doubts at all as I would be the one to face prosecution, not the company

One thing I don’t understand is Challenge 25 and now apparently Challenge 30?! The law for alcohol is 18, surely the guidance should be to request ID from customers who look under or around 18. Seems discriminatory to request ID from people who are 7-12 years above the legal age

I completely support cashiers etc requesting ID (in a respectful way), have worked in retail before and was told to check if I had any doubts at all as I would be the one to face prosecution, not the company

One thing I don’t understand is Challenge 25 and now apparently Challenge 30?! The law for alcohol is 18, surely the guidance should be to request ID from customers who look under or around 18. Seems discriminatory to request ID from people who are 7-12 years above the legal age
Yes, it is important they are vigilant and if they do ask ,they should remain professional and keep their opinion to themselves .

Honestly I think a young looking 30 year old looks so much older than a 17/18 year old . Maybe retailers should just do I.d spot checks at random rather than the challenge 30 stuff.

26 and have been asked if I’m as young as 12...Spent a couple of years as a retail manager and had many the awkward moment where I said “I’m the manager” and the guest thought I was mocking them 🙈

26 and have been asked if I’m as young as 12...Spent a couple of years as a retail manager and had many the awkward moment where I said “I’m the manager” and the guest thought I was mocking them 🙈
I think ,as an industry, retail does tend to have young managers

So many posters on here look much younger. I really wanna see some photos.

• Haha

Recently we had someone fail the challenge 25 at work. It was in the newspaper. The place etc. People are scared to ask because someone might get offended,. But that person got sacked and the store got a huge fine. i don't get a tit If i offend someone. I ask because I don't want to be the one who gets it wrong. They look at it as challenge 25/30 so someone underage doesn't get a knife or something else they shouldn't get... Look at it that you look young for your age and count it as a blessing not a curse.. But people have their jobs on the line and I know that. I really don't care if you are 30 and look 17...

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Recently we had someone fail the challenge 25 at work. It was in the newspaper. The place etc. People are scared to ask because someone might get offended,. But that person got sacked and the store got a huge fine. i don't get a tit If i offend someone. I ask because I don't want to be the one who gets it wrong. They look at it as challenge 25/30 so someone underage doesn't get a knife or something else they shouldn't get... Look at it that you look young for your age and count it as a blessing not a curse.. But people have their jobs on the line and I know that. I really don't care if you are 30 and look 17...
I really don’t mind cashiers asking I am perfectly used to it. But I HATE the expression that it is a blessing. It is really not a blessing to have someone patronise you every moment of your life 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Heart
What a luxury of a problem 😆😆 just enjoy, theres pro’s and cons to everything, and this is a huge pro with v minor cons in my opinion.

So many posters on here look much younger. I really wanna see some photos.
I'm sure that people do have this problem however it's also a bit of a thing to humble brag about how young you look. I've got people on my Facebook who post photos from 5 years ago against a photo and say things like "how weird, I just don't age!" And in the photos they clearly look a bit older

I'm 25 and was in the Asda the other week pushing my son in his pram. I got ID'ed for a can of red bull, I didn't have my ID. They said my son 'could of been my brother' 🤦‍♀️

• Haha
I'm sure that people do have this problem however it's also a bit of a thing to humble brag about how young you look. I've got people on my Facebook who post photos from 5 years ago against a photo and say things like "how weird, I just don't age!" And in the photos they clearly look a bit older
The Daily Mail occasionally runs those “Everyone thinks my daughter is my sister article” and you’ve got some 38 year old who woman who dresses like a teen, and looks like a 48 year old in the face 🙊

Last edited:
  • Haha
The Daily Mail occasionally runs those “Everyone thinks my daughter is my sister article” and you’ve got some 38 year old who woman who dresses like a teen, and looks like a 48 year old in the face 🙊
It should be “Everyone thinks my mum is my sister”.

One of the worst things about looking young is other people telling you it’s a blessing! It bleeping isn’t a lot of the time thanks, you don’t get to tell me how to feel about something that affects me and not you (General you).

I’m absolutely fine with being id’d in shops, I’ve worked in a supermarket so I know how it all works and I always carry my id but people really don’t need to make silly comments. Just look at my id and be done with it, no need to comment on how I look ‘about 12’ or what ever.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
My mum looks much younger than her years and she loves it. She tries to be as humble as possible but I know my mum! My dad on the other hand has had a lot of ill-health which has taken a toll on his appearance. I remember as a teenager, if we were out in the garden, the children next door would ask my mum “Where’s your dad today?” when wondering where my dad was. There’s only two years between my mum and dad.