Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Kim Mild

VIP Member
Does anyone here get told they look younger than their age? I'm in my late 30s now and people often thing I'm early/mid 20s. ( Occasionally younger , I got I.ded for the lottery at 36).
It bothers me so much that people always comment when they find out how old I am because they've judged me based on how they think I look. It's becoming quite a problem now I have a teenager and apparently don't look old enough. I find it a rude thing to say.
I'd love for everyone to share their experiences.

Reactions: 15

LaurieLaurie

VIP Member
I’m 30 and I constantly have alcohol snatched off me in the supermarket and held to ransom until I show them my ID. I’ve had 18 rated games taken off me and even a pair of scissors. Ridiculous.

• Haha
Reactions: 8

FlipFlop0706

VIP Member
Always without fail get id’d at the age of 33. If I’m honest, I find it really upsetting as I have really low confidence and I realise how pathetic this sounds but it makes me feel like a child/inferior to people my own age. I’m desperate to try and look my actual age. I think a lot of it is because I don’t wear make up or look like the girls my age but wearing make up makes me feel even more self conscious so I can’t win either way! 😂

I go out with my mother and if I don’t have ID then I make her pay as I can’t be bothered with hearing it anymore.

Yesterday in Tesco though, we were still asked who was buying alcohol as they thought she was buying it for me....,her 33 year old daughter 🙄

• Heart
Reactions: 8

Gemgemgemgem

At your wedding!? Now that one does seem stupid to me :rolleyes:
No, i was trying to buy alcohol for the wedding so prior to the event. As if some under 18 year old would be purchasing high volumes of Moet and whisky instead of alcopops and white lightning?!

Reactions: 7

Bitofthebubbly

VIP Member
One of the worst things about looking young is other people telling you it’s a blessing! It fucking isn’t a lot of the time thanks, you don’t get to tell me how to feel about something that affects me and not you (General you).

I’m absolutely fine with being id’d in shops, I’ve worked in a supermarket so I know how it all works and I always carry my id but people really don’t need to make silly comments. Just look at my id and be done with it, no need to comment on how I look ‘about 12’ or what ever.

• Heart

Ensay

VIP Member
I keep misreading the topic title as "Anyone find looking good a curse?" and thinking "bit bigheaded". 😂

• Haha

KawaiiSloth

Chatty Member
I am in my early twenties and most people mistake me for a secondary school student! They ask me what GCSEs I'm doing, or what I want to study at college and I think "b****, I did all that 6 years ago" :LOL:.
Apparently when I wear makeup, I look even younger. It is so embarassing.

A customer at work said to me a few months ago "Thank you for being such a helpful young lady. Oh actually you're still a girl aren't you? Helpful young girl". Yikes. Can I please age soon?

• Haha
  • Wow

Apple In My Pie

VIP Member
I went to Disneyland when I was 19. Got asked how old I was by (lovely but genuinely fresh out of nursery school himself, bless) french boy on way into canteen one evening. Puzzled, ‘Nineteen’ I say. Then realised he was trying to work out if I was eligible for the ‘10 years old and younger’ dinner plan at the restaurant. Which was €30 cheaper. Mildly gutted I didn’t go along with it, mildly curious if I should go and try again as I feel I missed out 😂

• Haha

Kim Mild

VIP Member
Not a curse but it is annoying when people don't take you seriously or belittle you because they think you are a teen.

I've been told I was too young to get married and asked if my parents gave permission while I was 26.

And I tagged along at 28 when my mom needed a formal gown and the shopkeeper exclaimed as we walked in: you must be here for a high school prom dress!
I think they way people belittle people cos they think they are young is shocking. Why do they think someone in their teens or 20s deserves inferior treatment compared to someone in their 30s?

lemonlime

VIP Member
Sorry for the OT but I keep reading this title as "Anyone young looking to find a curse?" and get confused why we have a curse and hex offering thread here, before rereading. Carry on.

• Haha
Reactions: 6

Londoncailín

VIP Member
I’m 40 and I look about 28. I’ve always looked very young. I think where it affected me the most was in relation to my son when he was younger. All the parents at his primary school assumed I was an older sister or an au pair. I felt my son definitely was left out of play dates and friendships because of this. Other parents simply overlooked the both of us and didn’t ever make an effort, despite me always being friendly and approachable.

• Sad
Reactions: 6

Pinkblush

VIP Member
Oh ok. One time I did get annoyed when I was accompanying my other half at supermarket. He was buying himself beer, and they asked for my ID. I wasn't the one buying it and i didn't have my ID with me (we were mid 20s). They refused to sell it to him. I've never worked in retail so I don't know the rules, but I didn't realise you couldn't buy alcohol if accompanied by someone underage..
I let my young nephew zap a sherry trifle on the self checkout and got reprimanded for it because it was an item that contained aclohol😆

• Haha
Reactions: 5

Pagger

Chatty Member
I absolutely hate looking so young. I had my son at 26 and remember pushing him in his pram through town when he was a newborn and walked past a group of teenage girls and they called me a slag. I'm guessing they assumed I was a teenage mum. Not that i think teenage mums are slags of course.

LittleMy

VIP Member
The only time looking young bothered me was when I’d given birth. I was 26 at the time and the midwives treated me like a stupid little girl because I looked like a teenager. I found them very patronising. Otherwise, I couldn’t give a shit tbh. Happy to look young.

Oh, and I got ID’d for hairspray once when I was about 27/28. I burst out laughing at that. 😂

• Heart
  • Haha

ChloChlo

VIP Member
I don't find it a curse per se, however it can be frustrating when I don't get the items I have tried to buy and interestingly for the past two years due to a life changing incident I had to attend various classes, college courses etc with a variety of people from all walks of life, much of it based around very basic psychology, so I started paying more heed to people and I noticed people not much older than I am would try to "mother" me and look uncomfortable when I would reveal my age, others would almost exclude me from the groups they had formed which tended to have an age theme, what appeared to be my age group were very cliquey until I revealed my age. I felt many times I was taken for a silly child.

I am 36, I look young but personally would say no younger than 25, so feel shop assistants are often just being jobsworths as I regularly get refused items even with four kids in tow and when it is by someone who is a good 18 years younger than you, it can be a ballache 🤦‍♀️

Everdene

Not a curse but it is annoying when people don't take you seriously or belittle you because they think you are a teen.

I've been told I was too young to get married and asked if my parents gave permission while I was 26.

And I tagged along at 28 when my mom needed a formal gown and the shopkeeper exclaimed as we walked in: you must be here for a high school prom dress!

totallytaz

Chatty Member
The cosmetic surgery industry is forever booming because so many people are paying big bucks to look younger.

It’s not a curse to be 35 and getting ID’d for a bottle of wine. The real curse is to be in your early fifties and asked if you have your bus pass.

• Haha
Reactions: 4