Anyone find looking young a curse?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I moved to another building to cover a manager. One of the staff thought I was on work experience. Started slagging me off to my face šŸ˜‚ Awks for them. I just laughed it off, someone from my old building had been talking to me about them, weve never got on.

• Wow
Reactions: 4
I absolutely hate looking so young. I had my son at 26 and remember pushing him in his pram through town when he was a newborn and walked past a group of teenage girls and they called me a slag. I'm guessing they assumed I was a teenage mum. Not that i think teenage mums are slags of course.

Reactions: 5
I think the older I get, the more it bothers me. I think it's as my oldest child (15 now) gets older too.
Having worked in a shop, I completely understand I.d for age restricted products , it's the remarks after. I don't need their comments that I look young, or how they know someone my age who looks older or even their embarrassment. Just say thank you and sell the product.

Not a curse, but definitely awkward. People think Iā€™m a teenager or early twenties. When I started my job the youngsters thought I was the same age as them then when they found out Iā€™m in my thirties (not a secret) it was a bit awkward. I donā€™t try and dress young or anything - Is that why it bothers you? It makes me para that I act immature or something, but I think must just have a baby face because ID-ing happens more with no make-up.

I went through a stage of having no ID due to my passport expiring and me cutting up my drivers license as I hated the pic šŸ¤£ so Think 25 was a pain. Even when I go shopping now with my bf and I donā€™t have my purse I have to walk off and let him buy the booze. Caused mayhem in home and bargains once trying to buy it with my mum, the women behind us in the queue tried to buy it for me šŸ¤£ Having worked in retail I was fine with it but they were having none of it.

I would rather look younger than older and will probably be miffed when I no longer get IDā€™d.
I think some school leavers have never met a new adult and been on equal terms with them until they have a job ,so they don't realise that people in their 30s don't seem as old as they thought

Reactions: 2
I am in my early twenties and most people mistake me for a secondary school student! They ask me what GCSEs I'm doing, or what I want to study at college and I think "b****, I did all that 6 years ago" :LOL:.
Apparently when I wear makeup, I look even younger. It is so embarassing.

A customer at work said to me a few months ago "Thank you for being such a helpful young lady. Oh actually you're still a girl aren't you? Helpful young girl". Yikes. Can I please age soon?
Was the customer elderly? Sometimes they refer to everyone young as girl/boy .It's a bit rude, though, imagine them saying that to someone who didn't identify as female.

Reactions: 1
Yep I look younger than my 35 years in fact I think I can pass for early 20s. I've definitely had judgemental looks on the bus from older people when with my daughter ( you know those of the kids having kids opinion)
I like it was people knock on the door asking for the homeowner also šŸ˜‚

Iā€™m in my late 30s but could pass for early 20s. My husband often gets comments and jokes about being a cradle snatcher šŸ˜‚

Always without fail get idā€™d at the age of 33. If Iā€™m honest, I find it really upsetting as I have really low confidence and I realise how pathetic this sounds but it makes me feel like a child/inferior to people my own age. Iā€™m desperate to try and look my actual age. I think a lot of it is because I donā€™t wear make up or look like the girls my age but wearing make up makes me feel even more self conscious so I canā€™t win either way! šŸ˜‚

I go out with my mother and if I donā€™t have ID then I make her pay as I canā€™t be bothered with hearing it anymore.

Yesterday in Tesco though, we were still asked who was buying alcohol as they thought she was buying it for me....,her 33 year old daughter šŸ™„

• Heart
Reactions: 8
It depends what mood Iā€™m in and the situation. With supermarkets I usually take it as a bit of a compliment unless Iā€™m moody, then itā€™s just frustrating, especially since I have a couple of quite visible tattoos (and you have to be over 18 for them)

itā€™s really annoying in a work context though. Especially combined with being a woman in a male dominated industry. People assume far too quickly that Iā€™m a receptionist, junior member of staff or new grad when Iā€™m actually quite senior. Every time we bring on a new company or hire a new wave of graduates itā€™s like I have to battle for respect all over again.

Iā€™m mid 20s and I look EXACTLY the same as I did when I was 14/15. It doesnā€™t bother me overall but when I had my son a few years ago, the horrible comments from older people saying things like ā€œkids having kidsā€ and tutting was horrible. Even if I was a kid who are they to judge?

Reactions: 1
I'm 38 and I still get asked for ID at times. I do look young and have a very slight build. Last year I was buying a child rail ticket for my son for travel the next day, and the lady selling it reminded me that I needed to make sure I travelled with an adult for it to be valid, it took me a few seconds to realise that she thought the child ticket was for me.

• Haha
It depends what mood Iā€™m in and the situation. With supermarkets I usually take it as a bit of a compliment unless Iā€™m moody, then itā€™s just frustrating, especially since I have a couple of quite visible tattoos (and you have to be over 18 for them)

itā€™s really annoying in a work context though. Especially combined with being a woman in a male dominated industry. People assume far too quickly that Iā€™m a receptionist, junior member of staff or new grad when Iā€™m actually quite senior. Every time we bring on a new company or hire a new wave of graduates itā€™s like I have to battle for respect all over again.
I bet a lot of people think that women are the rececptionist/ secretary in the workplace . I wonder if there's a thread for that?

Always without fail get idā€™d at the age of 33. If Iā€™m honest, I find it really upsetting as I have really low confidence and I realise how pathetic this sounds but it makes me feel like a child/inferior to people my own age. Iā€™m desperate to try and look my actual age. I think a lot of it is because I donā€™t wear make up or look like the girls my age but wearing make up makes me feel even more self conscious so I canā€™t win either way! šŸ˜‚

I go out with my mother and if I donā€™t have ID then I make her pay as I canā€™t be bothered with hearing it anymore.

Yesterday in Tesco though, we were still asked who was buying alcohol as they thought she was buying it for me....,her 33 year old daughter šŸ™„
This exactly. I often feel self conscious around people of a similar age because I know they've made the judgement that I'm younger. Or sometimes people talk about their adult children and then they'll say 'but they are older than you' and they aren't. Why do people have to bring age in to it? It makes me feel like I'm not adulty enough.

I usually wear make up and I'm quite happy with my day to day make up. It's very natural and I think it suits me.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 3
Iā€™m 40 and I look about 28. Iā€™ve always looked very young. I think where it affected me the most was in relation to my son when he was younger. All the parents at his primary school assumed I was an older sister or an au pair. I felt my son definitely was left out of play dates and friendships because of this. Other parents simply overlooked the both of us and didnā€™t ever make an effort, despite me always being friendly and approachable.

• Sad
Reactions: 6
I am mid 40s, small and fairly slim but used to be slight am blaming it on age!! Am assumed to be mid 20s to 30s which is a worry as my son is mid 20s.

It doesnā€™t bother me now but it used to, I havenā€™t been IDā€™d since I was about 39 and in M&S with my 18 year old son, buying that popular teenage tipple of pink champagne, had no ID and had to leave it.

Sometimes, like getting ID for red bull in my 30s is embarrassing! But people at work think I'm younger and I can get away with stuff due to it so...

Yep Iā€™m 27 and just started a job at a supermarket with a load of 18/19 year olds and after like a few weeks they found out my age and were like wtf thought u were our age! Haha. I have a baby voice (which I hate hate hate no one takes what Iā€™m saying very seriously due to it) so that doesnā€™t help and Iā€™m quite small boned so look a bit small even tho Iā€™m an average height! X

Reactions: 3
Yes! I work in a 'responsible' position in a university and sometimes I get mistaken for a student. It's really is annoying, especially when another staff member who doesn't know me has a go at me over something silly (like being somewhere students shouldn't be). I also struggle dealing with students as they don't see me as being in a position of authority.

Love this thread! Iā€™m 32 but Iā€™m always being mistaken for being in my late teens. I honestly look no different from when I left school in 2004 - apart from my fashion sense and better eyebrows haha! Itā€™s 99% genes as my mum and dad are in their early 60s and are always being mistaken for being in their early 40s! I honestly donā€™t mind it most of the time but it gets a bit annoying when people make a big deal and ask question after question - the checkout woman in ASDA taking my ID to security to prove it wasnā€™t a fake took the piss a bit šŸ˜‚ it helps my fiancĆ© is 8 years younger than me and I genuinely get on with younger people better. I always just say ā€œat least Iā€™ll look 40 when Iā€™m actually 50ā€ - I hope haha! šŸ˜‚šŸ™ˆ

Yep Iā€™m 27 and just started a job at a supermarket with a load of 18/19 year olds and after like a few weeks they found out my age and were like wtf thought u were our age! Haha. I have a baby voice (which I hate hate hate no one takes what Iā€™m saying very seriously due to it) so that doesnā€™t help and Iā€™m quite small boned so look a bit small even tho Iā€™m an average height! X
Yep, heard that one too