Anyone find looking young a curse?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Mia Goth looks young for her age , she looks like a child compared to Shia LaBeouf. There was an article about her having a baby and all the comments were about how young she looked.

Reactions: 1
I am young still, 23, but I literally look 17. I'm a teacher at a college so I literally look younger than my students. Every time I go to the canteen at lunch I always get asked for my student pass, I always reply sheepishly "but I'm staff" and they look at me as if I have two heads :ROFLMAO:

I also have 3 children (well, due my 3rd in a few weeks) and every time I tell people they don't believe me as I don't look old enough! Also got ID'd for buying cutlery at The Range the other week, that was next level

Reactions: 2
I'm in my late 30s and this happen to me a few years ago at the second to last local election:
I got a knock on my door, I was just on my way out and this man (I assume a local councillor) said this, '' Hello, is your mummy and daddy here?'' In a childish babyish voice, the kind you put on when talking to very small children.
I was like, really, yes I look young and I'm short - 4ft10 but there's no need to talk to me like this.
He was taken back by my outburst and I was so hacked off I didn't really listen to what he had to say. I didn't slam the door or anything but I made it clear I was impressed.
Told my husband later and thought it was hilarious!

• Wow
Reactions: 4
I'm nearly 30 and regularly get ID'd, I'm so used to it, the rare times I forget my ID (normally for a food shop with an impromptu bottle of wine) I'll wander off whilst my husband pays.
Most people assume I'm 16/17, moreso without make up. I get it from my mum, she's always looked younger than her age so I just hope I look as good as her at 60 💁🏼‍♀️

I worked at Morrisons from the age of 17—21 right after Challenge 25 came in and it wasn't easy. I will be the first to say that I think Morrisons staff are the most overzealous with it, but I remember the training video we had to watch 🤣

I don't mind looking young but I agree the comments and being spoken down to is annoying.

(Makes me think of Lee Mack on Graham Norton when he wouldn't STFU about Nicola Coughlan looking about 14 when she's 35)

When I was 20 tried to buy a bottle of sourz, showed my ID and she thought it was fake, got another employee to check and she also thought it was fake so they obviously wouldn’t let me have it.
I’m 25 now and someone knocked on the door a seller or charity or something and asked if my parents were home, least it’s easy for me to say no so I wouldn’t have to listen to them 🤷‍♀️

• Wow
Reactions: 3
I'm 30 and have been ID-ed twice recently for buying alcohol and a kitchen knife

A few years ago I answered the door to someone wanting to talk about our internet provider and they asked if my parents were there. I said no and shut the door haha.

When I was mid 20s the security lady at the airport got half way through the pat down before asking if we needed to check with parents first - to security check an under 16 you need a parents permission.

• Haha
I was going to put this in the annoyed/ having a rant threads but it's quite on topic for this one.

My teenager and I went to a local building that is open for heritage open day . We were in one room , just us and 2 ladies of probably retirement age. Because there wasn't many of us , the volunteer showed and told us everything quickly and sent us through to the next room ,on the other side of the building . The previous group in there hadn't finished and the volunteer in that room scolded me and my teenager for coming in , as if we'd just wandered in off the street. He spoke to us as if we were children, but didn't say anything to the ladies who had come in at the same time.

I've been pissed off about it ever since.

35, often told I look 10 years younger and I love it.
I had excellent genetics in this regard, same could be said of many individuals on both my mother and fathers sides of the family. Many look younger than they are and go grey very late or not at all!

• Heart
I keep misreading the topic title as "Anyone find looking good a curse?" and thinking "bit bigheaded". 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 7
I was buying a red bull at the M&S self check outs the other day, and apparently you need to be over 16 to buy it. Staff member comes over and asks me if I'm over 16, to which I say "I'm 30!" and he genuinely looked freaked out.

I'm 4'11 and have a baby face, but can't believe he didn't think I was 16 lmao.

I think it will be a blessing later in life but at times it can be awkward.. I'm in my 30s and have been ID'ed for nearly everything e.g paracetamol, energy drinks, lottery tickets etc.

Funny now but cringe at the time:
I got ID'ed when I was on a date entering a mini golf place which was quite embarrassing whilst my date didn't and found it hilarious.

I've also been chatted up by college age kids a few times where they ask me what school I go to or if I can give them my number

When someone told me I looked too young to be married, I got married in my late 20s, it was a stranger, and a bloody cheeky one!

It isn’t really a complaint and might sound bloody obnoxious (sorry if it does) but it does get really awkward sometimes. I am also in my late 30s and look much younger and whenever a guy approaches me, it’s really weird because they’re always in their 20s. I know it sounds like a silly complaint, and I should be flattered, but I feel so bad because I want a guy around my own age.

One time, a guy came up to me and his hair looked a bit gray, so I assumed he was my age. I gave him my number. Turns out he was 12 years younger than me! I’m well advanced in my career, and he was still studying and doing minimum wage jobs. I found it so embarrassing.
My current bf I met at work. He is 4 years younger than me, but for months he assumed that I was much younger than him. When it came out how old I was, I was so embarrassed because I thought he knew and he was in total shock and kept saying ‘how?’. Luckily, it didn’t change his feelings for me and it’s becoming more common. I have to remind myself that if it was the other way around, people would just say we were the same age, and no one would even blink.

I also feel like looking young holds me back in my career as I don’t seem experienced enough but I bloody am. I got mistaken for an intern for 2 weeks, I’m senior level.

But saying all this though, can’t complain. We have the sweet spot of where we can play up to looking younger when we need to, or use the advantage of our real age when that’s more suited.

Last edited:
When someone told me I looked too young to be married, I got married in my late 20s, it was a stranger, and a bloody cheeky one!
That's cheeky , especially if it was in the workplace as anyone who is old enough to work is old enough to get married ( pretty much).

Looking a certain way isn't a requirement for marriage.

No I used to have miso regularly just to put on water weight / give myself a youthful face and at 30 years young I was confused for an 18 yr old. Flash forward to recently where I shared a picture with my family where my cheekbones are showing and now they’re all giving me flack for being single at my age. Things have not been the same for me since sharing that pic. I had a good life before. 😢

No I used to have miso regularly just to put on water weight / give myself a youthful face and at 30 years young I was confused for an 18 yr old. Flash forward to recently where I shared a picture with my family where my cheekbones are showing and now they’re all giving me flack for being single at my age. Things have not been the same for me since sharing that pic. I had a good life before. 😢
I think my face often gets water retention/ puffiness that people mistake for 'puppy fat' and that's why they think I'm younger.

It's all about how people perceive someone due to their looks really. Surely your family know how old you are.

I think my face often gets water retention/ puffiness that people mistake for 'puppy fat' and that's why they think I'm younger.

It's all about how people perceive someone due to their looks really. Surely your family know how old you are.
I really like the look! I first saw it on me when I had moon face lol

They were fooled into forgetting 🤷🏻‍♀️ The family is incredibly superficial. That’s a saga for a therapist though. 🤦🏻‍♀️

I recently read an article about someone turning 40 and the author said every time someone told her she didn't look her age , they weren't giving her a compliment, they were making an evaluation. I agree with that .

The article concluded that every version of how someone looks at their age is equally valid.

I got asked what GCSEs I was taking a while ago...I was 30 😂
also get asked for ID all the time!