Anyone find looking young a curse?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Yes!!!
I had twins when i was 23 but i kept getting asked about being a teenage mother.
I wasn't allowed to buy alcohol for my own wedding as I'd left my ID at home.
Job interviews: i always get asked how old i am (yes, i know it's illegal but it's still asked) because i have experience but look so young.
I lecture at a university and am constantly getting mistaken as a student.

My hair is now going very grey and I'm actually embracing it. Late 30's but apparently still look 19/20. It's definitely not a blessing.

Reactions: 2
Yes!!!
I had twins when i was 23 but i kept getting asked about being a teenage mother.
I wasn't allowed to buy alcohol for my own wedding as I'd left my ID at home.
Job interviews: i always get asked how old i am (yes, i know it's illegal but it's still asked) because i have experience but look so young.
I lecture at a university and am constantly getting mistaken as a student.

My hair is now going very grey and I'm actually embracing it. Late 30's but apparently still look 19/20. It's definitely not a blessing.
At your wedding!? Now that one does seem stupid to me :rolleyes:

Reactions: 1
Oh ok. One time I did get annoyed when I was accompanying my other half at supermarket. He was buying himself beer, and they asked for my ID. I wasn't the one buying it and i didn't have my ID with me (we were mid 20s). They refused to sell it to him. I've never worked in retail so I don't know the rules, but I didn't realise you couldn't buy alcohol if accompanied by someone underage..
I let my young nephew zap a sherry trifle on the self checkout and got reprimanded for it because it was an item that contained aclohol😆

• Haha
Reactions: 5
At your wedding!? Now that one does seem stupid to me :rolleyes:
No, i was trying to buy alcohol for the wedding so prior to the event. As if some under 18 year old would be purchasing high volumes of Moet and whisky instead of alcopops and white lightning?!

Reactions: 7
I've been mistaken for my older child's sibling multiple time which I found flattering but I now have another child and always get the patronising 'aww is it your first' and spoken down to like I'm inexperienced with parenting.
I was asked for ID for paracetamol at 27 in my local shop where I have been shopping since I was 10. This member of staff has also served me since I first went in there so why she thought the need to make me prove I was over 16 is beyond me.

Reactions: 3
I don't mind, but despite still looking young (albeit with a few eye wrinkles now) I look totally different to my photo on my licence which was almost 11 years ago. I am constantly accused of lying or using someone else's ID. Especially now with facemasks. That's the only annoying part!

Yes I've lost weight, yes I look different than I did when I was 16, but it's still clearly me!

• Wow
Always without fail get id’d at the age of 33. If I’m honest, I find it really upsetting as I have really low confidence and I realise how pathetic this sounds but it makes me feel like a child/inferior to people my own age. I’m desperate to try and look my actual age. I think a lot of it is because I don’t wear make up or look like the girls my age but wearing make up makes me feel even more self conscious so I can’t win either way! 😂

I go out with my mother and if I don’t have ID then I make her pay as I can’t be bothered with hearing it anymore.

Yesterday in Tesco though, we were still asked who was buying alcohol as they thought she was buying it for me....,her 33 year old daughter 🙄
Just had to send a message saying i completely get how your feeling it happens to me all the time and i have to say sometimes i find it incredibly patronising and frustrating.
I also find it to be quite sexist as well its mainly men in my opinion like to talk down to me as if i was a little girl and needed things explaining to me sometimes even very slowly.. (wtf?).
Or which is even worse if i'm with my husband (only 5 years older) they will turn to him and talk only to him completely ignoring me and not even including me in the conversation! Its so rude it beggars belief also he's been accused of being a cradle snatcher and a bit of a perv...
People can be so intrusive and insensitive..
and the arrogance they have without even trying to verify their opinion or to find out if its right or not...
So i hear you and all the other people who have posted it can be a bit of a nightmare and really if i'm honest i don't find that many positives in it...like people thinking my i'm my 18 year old son's sister (he didn't like that either can you imagine?) and also being asked always for id when my real age is 42!!
For heavens sake i actually thought it would ease up but its got worse!!
I think to myself will i ever get credit for being an adult? To make matters worse if their was a school for a life of hard knocks i'd have passed with flying colours so its not as if i don't have some life experience under my belt?
Yet i feel as if i have to bend over backwards to prove anything to anyone because i'm almost afraid that they don't take me seriously enough?
It really can be a pain also i think its a bit of height thing i'm fairly small and small busted and an introvert and a bit shy and i dress modestly its like i scream potential pushover to people (when actually thats not the case) but unfortunately first impressions can not only be wrong but they can stick as well (some very lazy narrow minded people out there sometimes unfortunately).
So i'm sending you and any others who have similar frustrations my love.
I'm glad i found this thread as i honestly feel pissed off about it (can you tell) ha ha
Also for all the well meaning people who say embrace it and be positive i do that as well but i find that when i'm happy or smily or fun i just get stereotyped as kooky or ditzy or a bit of a bimbo (you can't win sometimes?) either that or i get inappropriate sexual attention from men thinking i'm much younger than i am (which creeps me out) and also others who act shocked when i tell them my age and then think that its a compliment when they say i look so young (er why).
I don't know blame our youth obsessed culture in general i guess and also that some people generally seem to fear getting old and being seen as older? (maybe they don't want to be seen as a burden or if truth be told they are scared they are losing their sexual desirability/potency?)
That in iteself is disturbing though no?
Equating attractiveness with youth (i'm sure i don't need to spell that out.)
No wonder our poor teens today feel too much anxiety/pressure over sex and body issues as they get far too much attention focused on them and their needs and fears (i'm sorry but its almost a bit like grooming to my eyes) also all the peer pressure...
So yes its infantilising isn't it?
Almost as if you are being forced into a kind of arrested development and not allowed to grow up or mature?
Also i find that in my case it might be to do with having a strained relationship with my mother who always tries to assume the dominant role so i've just thought that maybe my posture or body language might betray that and maybe other people also pick up on it (just a thought?).
So hey pilates/yoga here i come and maybe some of us get kind of cursed/locked in at the childhood stage because basically our parents where either over protective or in my case just wanted to control me a bit because she always had to be centre stage...
Sorry for going off a bit at the deep end its just that i found responding to your post really helpful in thinking about an issue that really i'd been in denial about but which actually has been bugging me for a while now.
So thanks and i realise that its now christmas day now (i can't sleep) so wishing you and all the other lovely tattlers a very happy christmas and a happy new year..
best wishes ❤

Sorry for the OT but I keep reading this title as "Anyone young looking to find a curse?" and get confused why we have a curse and hex offering thread here, before rereading. Carry on.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
@Misbehaving this exactly. Sometimes I feel like I will never be considered adulty enough by some people.
I seemed to get more comments about whether I looked my age well into my mid 30s than I did in my early 20s. I think it bothers me more now they bring my teenager into it. It's disrespectful to say things about my perceived age and whether I'm old enough to be their mum in front of them it makes me cross. It's one thing saying things about me , but it's quite another to bring my children into it.
Also , the backtracking they do to cover their embarrassment is not a compliment .

@lemonlime a thread for youth spells?

• Heart
I’m in my early 30s and I’ve always been mistaken for being way younger, I’ve found it’s stopped people taking me as seriously as they do others, I’m always branded as “one of the young ones” I certainly don’t act immature.

I was buying something from the shops and the woman on the till asked what my job was and I said teacher and she said you don’t look old enough to be a teacher (I was 28 so hardly that young). Some people may find it a compliment I actually find it patronising.

I don’t get ID’ed as much since wearing a mask but pre-mask I always get ID’ed for alcohol, lottery tickets.... I once got ID’ed for buying some face cream in a glass jar as it could be used a weapon... 🤔

I don’t think I look 27 - maybe the retinol is working 😂

• Wow
  • Haha
I’m in my early 30s and I’ve always been mistaken for being way younger, I’ve found it’s stopped people taking me as seriously as they do others, I’m always branded as “one of the young ones” I certainly don’t act immature.

I was buying something from the shops and the woman on the till asked what my job was and I said teacher and she said you don’t look old enough to be a teacher (I was 28 so hardly that young). Some people may find it a compliment I actually find it patronising.
It is patronising

I don’t get ID’ed as much since wearing a mask but pre-mask I always get ID’ed for alcohol, lottery tickets.... I once got ID’ed for buying some face cream in a glass jar as it could be used a weapon... 🤔

I don’t think I look 27 - maybe the retinol is working 😂
I wonder if I've managed to prevent ageing a bit . I've been into skincare since I was about 10, avoided the sun ,and have a resting witch face.

A girl I went to school with posted a photo of herself on Facebook, and she looks old . If say she looks old for her age , and certainly older than everyone else.

Most people look a similar age to each other , I think .

Reactions: 1
I have always looked young for my age.

I am extremely petite which doesn't help. I'm 5ft and now 43yrs old but i wore AGE 7-8 clothes up until i was 35yrs old.

After having my kids i got a 'normal' figure and now wear womens sizes 😂😂

But yes i look my age now i think due to stress and life. But i was frequently asked for I.D right up to my early 30's

I am 30 and was ID'd for a lottery ticket today :( I apparently look young enough to be a school kid 😮
I’m 27 and a teacher recently a member of staff yelled “how dare you speak when a member of staff is speaking” at me. As she thought I was a pupil…I turned around and looked at her she realises and was mortified 😂 pupils were in absolute hysterics

• Wow
I definitely look my age but wasn't allowed to buy scissors in Asda and ibuprofen in Aldi... Wtf, I'm 37 and look 47 :LOL:

When I was younger it was a pain with the ID thing. I couldn’t buy alcohol in a bar in New York because I had no ID on me … I was 35 at the time !
Now I see it as a blessing. I’m the oldest by 6 years in my current production crew but nobody realised until today when I was discussing my 50th birthday trip in two years time. It was assumed I was in my 30’s 😆

Do many of you get asked what your secret is ?

I don’t know if there is a secret but I care for my skin, use SPF and have a young attitude to life. Genes play a big part though, my mum looks much younger than her 68 years.

When I was younger it was a pain with the ID thing. I couldn’t buy alcohol in a bar in New York because I had no ID on me … I was 35 at the time !
Now I see it as a blessing. I’m the oldest by 6 years in my current production crew but nobody realised until today when I was discussing my 50th birthday trip in two years time. It was assumed I was in my 30’s 😆

Do many of you get asked what your secret is ?

I don’t know if there is a secret but I care for my skin, use SPF and have a young attitude to life. Genes play a big part though, my mum looks much younger than her 68 years.
Yes! People ask me my secret all the time and my answer is always good genes 💁🏻‍♀️

I'm 29 but people say I look like I'm still in my teens,i don't think I've changed much looks wise since then although my hair has thinned slightly. I often get asked for ID and my work colleagues always say they assumed I was late teens/ early 20s.

As I'm nearly 30 I'm starting to actually worry about ageing so have stared using retinol.