Anti-Conspiracy Theories #7 Google told me, so it must be true. Sheeep!

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
meet me there mainecoon! we’ll find her 🕵🏼‍♀️
My husband has one of 'those' Aunts (you know) she swears she had photos of Nessie that were taken while in Scotland in the 70s. When Aunty went to pick the photos up the shop had mysteriously shut down, never to open again.
I'm not sure whether I believe her or not, she believes it though. 🤷‍♀️

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Another thing I've noticed is many conspiracy theorists don't seem to work much. I know that's a generalisation and I'm sure plenty of them do, but so many of them seem to be terminally online and fill that time reading substack blogs, dodgy websites, read many tweets from right wing/CT accounts, etc. And then they basically compile what they've read/listened to into one long rambling message to share with others.

It just seems like that would take so much time and it's near constant. It makes sense that someone who doesn't work or go out much, and actually interact with people outside their close family, would then get drawn more into the CT world. They sort of make their own little community to fill the void.

Reactions: 2
I was wondering if the cashless society can be classed as a CT. I was reading the thread on here earlier and it feels like some of the discussion is veering into that territory - with comments about how "they" want us dependent on cards and electronic payments and how we must fight it by using cash.

Like I said there, I still see plenty of people withdrawing and using cash. A lot of CTitsts give the following quote from Orwell when making their arguments:

"The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."

But if I use my eyes and ears to say I don't buy that a cashless society is coming any time soon, based on what I see around me every day, I get told I'm wrong.
Yes lol. Realistically, cash isn’t going anywhere. Larger businesses and organizations may be moving away from it, but if you know any small businesses, you’ll know that they absolutely love cash as it allows them to avoid tax more easily lmfao. Where I live, I’d say that most people pay in cash at the shops, it’s rare to see people pay with card.
Also if the world goes to tit and Putin shuts down the banks, do they really think they’ll be smugly lining up to pay in the supermarket with fistfuls of cash whilst the rest of us starve? No darling, I’ll be robbing the place x

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Yes lol. Realistically, cash isn’t going anywhere. Larger businesses and organizations may be moving away from it, but if you know any small businesses, you’ll know that they absolutely love cash as it allows them to avoid tax more easily lmfao. Where I live, I’d say that most people pay in cash at the shops, it’s rare to see people pay with card.
Also if the world goes to tit and Putin shuts down the banks, do they really think they’ll be smugly lining up to pay in the supermarket with fistfuls of cash whilst the rest of us starve? No darling, I’ll be robbing the place x
Yes, my local corner shop doesn't accept card unless you're paying over a certain amount and it's obvious they prefer cash overall. I also regularly visit a cafe that has a sign saying "card accepted, but cash preferred".

And regarding your latter point I made a very similar point in the cashless society thread, though predictably it got ignored. There'd be looting galore and cash wouldn't be an acceptable currency - it'd be seen as useless metal and paper. Mind you, the same thing applies to preppers. They make videos about their hauls, yet if society went to tit, it wouldn't take long for people to figure out where the preppers live and, well, you can guess the rest.

Though I suppose in the preppers' minds they think they'll run a cosy little self sufficient family should the tit hit the fan. Nice idea and why take it off them?!

Reactions: 3
Also if the world goes to tit and Putin shuts down the banks,
As the saying goes, "and so it begins" :eek:

The permitted existence of the digital rouble officially began on the 1st August, though I'm not sure if any have actually been issued yet.

OTOH if there's technology difficulties then they could issue the digital currency virtually and give people some sort of secure/stamped paper receipt or certificate of ownership of said digital money, maybe with a serial number and holograms on it... :cool:

• Haha
Yes, my local corner shop doesn't accept card unless you're paying over a certain amount
I'm fairly sure that's illegal nowadays, but actually getting that sort of thing enforced is like pulling teeth.

I'm fairly sure that's illegal nowadays, but actually getting that sort of thing enforced is like pulling teeth.
I thought it was too, and maybe it's an old sign that they 'forgot' to take down, but I pay by cash anyway - partly to avoid the barely disguised eyeroll when I get my card out for a small purchase. 🤣

• Haha
I think there are probably advantages and disadvantages to shops using cash. It's still got to be counted and banked and I guess that it presents more of an opportunity for theft.

I don't use cash very often these days and I don't see the problem if we move to a more cashless society. It's not as if how we carry out transactions has never changed before. I think a lot of the scaremongering is by people who don't really understand what money is.

I think there are probably advantages and disadvantages to shops using cash. It's still got to be counted and banked and I guess that it presents more of an opportunity for theft.

I don't use cash very often these days and I don't see the problem if we move to a more cashless society. It's not as if how we carry out transactions has never changed before. I think a lot of the scaremongering is by people who don't really understand what money is.
It's because they think it's so the government can track all our spending. But presumably they also own bank accounts and also pay for some purchases with cards, so they can also be tracked there. Plus most shops have CCTV, so they can be viewed spending their cash anyway.

I'm not saying it's right as such, but those who act like they're somehow 'above' the masses by only using cash don't seem to realise it.

• Heart
Reactions: 6

I hope we dont become cashless as theres situations where a card payment isnt best, like if you want to give money to the homeless for example. Also charities how often do we use our change to donate. So someone willing to give change might not want to donate by card instead so charities will get less. Also lots find it easier to budget if its physically with them

Reactions: 4
Yes, my local corner shop doesn't accept card unless you're paying over a certain amount and it's obvious they prefer cash overall. I also regularly visit a cafe that has a sign saying "card accepted, but cash preferred".

And regarding your latter point I made a very similar point in the cashless society thread, though predictably it got ignored. There'd be looting galore and cash wouldn't be an acceptable currency - it'd be seen as useless metal and paper. Mind you, the same thing applies to preppers. They make videos about their hauls, yet if society went to tit, it wouldn't take long for people to figure out where the preppers live and, well, you can guess the rest.

Though I suppose in the preppers' minds they think they'll run a cosy little self sufficient family should the tit hit the fan. Nice idea and why take it off them?!
Oh absolutely, if it all goes south, I’m heading straight for the conspiracy theorists and preppers. Thank you very much guys 🤣!

The funniest part about the cashless society thing is that they seem to be under the illusion that the government and banks aren’t already totally in charge of all of the money anyway? Like, who tf do they think controls the economy? Who decides on fiscal policy? Who sets the interest rates? Duh, it’s the bleeping government and banks, catch up.
The hoarding cash thing is so cringe and it’s just another example of the CTists doing pathetic acts of resistance (see also: having embarrassing public meltdowns after being told to put on a mask during the pandemic) in response to fears about the government controlling everyone’s lives which do absolutely nothing other than bring a false sense of comfort to them.
It’s also really poorly thought out because let’s face it, if the governments decided to phase out cash then all of the money they’ve got shoved under their mattresses would be worthless anyway.
Idk, I think a lot of them just really do not understand how life works at all and have a very childlike view of the world.

FWIW I think there are pros and cons to going cashless. The main issue (imho) is the problem of certain vulnerable groups being financially excluded from society, however I think this is something which can be overcome by gradually transitioning away from cash over a long period of time and putting in policies to ensure that these people are supported and not left behind.

Reactions: 7
.... gradually transitioning away from cash over a long period of time ...
Isn't that what's happening? I'm old enough to remember being handed a pay packet full of cash every week. Everybody hated the idea of being paid monthly into a bank account but that's pretty much universal now.

Reactions: 4
Isn't that what's happening? I'm old enough to remember being handed a pay packet full of cash every week. Everybody hated the idea of being paid monthly into a bank account but that's pretty much universal now.
Pretty much. I’m not sure why people are suddenly so concerned about it (oh wait, I know why, it’s because it’s the latest CT to go viral and is being heavily pushed by fear mongerers like Piers Corbyn), times are changing, technology is becoming more and more advanced, the reduction in the use of cash has been happening for years now and money in the form of coin/paper was an outdated concept 20 years ago.
As I say tho, as long as the transition towards a cashless (or near cashless) society happens slowly and is properly managed so that people like the elderly and vulnerable are not left out, I don’t really see the issue. Although tbh, I still don’t think we’re going to see cash disappear completely any time soon.
---
One thing I do find a little ironic and funny, is that some of the people who are now moaning about a cashless society are the same people who were heavily advocating for entirely digital currencies such as bitcoin lmfao.

• Haha
Pretty much. I’m not sure why people are suddenly so concerned about it (oh wait, I know why, it’s because it’s the latest CT to go viral and is being heavily pushed by fear mongerers like Piers Corbyn), times are changing, technology is becoming more and more advanced, the reduction in the use of cash has been happening for years now and money in the form of coin/paper was an outdated concept 20 years ago.
As I say tho, as long as the transition towards a cashless (or near cashless) society happens slowly and is properly managed so that people like the elderly and vulnerable are not left out, I don’t really see the issue. Although tbh, I still don’t think we’re going to see cash disappear completely any time soon.
---
One thing I do find a little ironic and funny, is that some of the people who are now moaning about a cashless society are the same people who were heavily advocating for entirely digital currencies such as bitcoin lmfao.
And not only that, many of the ones who scaremonger about a cashless society are the same ones who roll their eyes about the media apparently scaremongering about climate change.

So do the people who believe in the imminent danger of a cashless societey have all their money stuffed in their bed mattress? They shouldn't make themselves too easily identifiable..

To be honest, having my family coming from an ex-communist country that saw its currency crashing down in the early 90s, I am more afraid of a currency collapse than the increasing use of cashless methods of payment. We alreay are in some level living in a society where money is more and more virtual. As money can be created by banks just by writing codes, most of the money of this world don't exist physically. If tomorrow we would all run to the bank to withdraw our money, we would create a financial collapse as banks wouldn't be able to give us all of our money.

I think it's good to keep both options but I have to say I am very happy to be able to order things and book events online. I am sure most of those fear mongers didn't stop to use online transactions for this kind of purchases.

As for surving the apocalypse as a prepper, it reminds me a movie I watched ages ago. All the people who had ressources such as gardens, seeds, tools to survive were targeted. Everybody - them included were living a miserable life, where no one was trusting anyone. I did think at the time, in this case I am not sure to want to survive the apocalypse lol.

• Heart
So do the people who believe in the imminent danger of a cashless societey have all their money stuffed in their bed mattress? They shouldn't make themselves too easily identifiable..

To be honest, having my family coming from an ex-communist country that saw its currency crashing down in the early 90s, I am more afraid of a currency collapse than the increasing use of cashless methods of payment. We alreay are in some level living in a society where money is more and more virtual. As money can be created by banks just by writing codes, most of the money of this world don't exist physically. If tomorrow we would all run to the bank to withdraw our money, we would create a financial collapse as banks wouldn't be able to give us all of our money.

I think it's good to keep both options but I have to say I am very happy to be able to order things and book events online. I am sure most of those fear mongers didn't stop to use online transactions for this kind of purchases.

As for surving the apocalypse as a prepper, it reminds me a movie I watched ages ago. All the people who had ressources such as gardens, seeds, tools to survive were targeted. Everybody - them included were living a miserable life, where no one was trusting anyone. I did think at the time, in this case I am not sure to want to survive the apocalypse lol.
I don’t know why anyone would want to survive either lol. controversial maybe but I think a lot of people, especially the bunker type American preppers, don’t really want to “survive” so much as they want to be able to live in a lawless, purge film style society where they can shoot whomever they want with no rhyme, reason or consequences.

Also I listened to a podcast once with a scientist in infectious diseases and he said that the chance of surviving an apocalypse is slim to none

Woman sues a conspiracy theory newspaper that continually falsely claimed her son died from a Covid vaccine:

Their campaign against her sounds awful. :(
bleeping disgusting tbh. Now, let me guess, the CTists who write that rag are now going to claim that they're being silenced by this poor grieving mother and her lawyer 🙄.
---
I agree. To use their terminology, these fears about a cashless society seem to be a bit of a ‘distraction’ from the Dickensian nightmare that the UK has been slowly falling into for the past 15 years. In terms of what is happening to the economy, a reduction in cash should be the least of your worries.

• Sad
Reactions: 9
bleeping disgusting tbh. Now, let me guess, the CTists who write that rag are now going to claim that they're being silenced by this poor grieving mother and her lawyer 🙄.
I expect so! Heaven forbid they admit they got something wrong.

I always wonder how they can lack such empathy. Do they never think how they'd feel if they lost a family member and the media continually lied about the cause of their death? I mean, I know the answer, but it really brings home how devoid of normal human emotion some of them are.

• Sad
Woman sues a conspiracy theory newspaper that continually falsely claimed her son died from a Covid vaccine:

Their campaign against her sounds awful. :(
Disgusting this, and an extension of what we've seen on here and on twitter etc, baselessly linking the covid vaccine to multiple, notable deaths, often using the 'died suddenly' hashtag.
I'm up in Scotand atm, for a funeral sadly 😪, where you could say the poor deceased person for whom we had the funeral died kind of suddenly - but it wasn't the bleeping vaccine because it was something else and, guess what, it's no one's business, and guess what again, they weren't even vaccinated against covid. Absolute ghouls who keep up this insane and damaging trolling xx

• Heart
Reactions: 8