Anti Conspiracy Theories #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So young women shouldn't have access to free contraception, but if they have an unwanted pregnancy, everyone moans about them having access to abortion services. It seems that women just can't win, as per usual 🙄
You'd have to imagine they'd be against abortion too - given that they think covid and free contraceptive is about "population control", I'd think they'd definitely say abortion is all about population control.

Reactions: 1
sorry your going through this really difficult. I’ve got a got a good friend who’s found it really difficult because her partner refused the covid vaccine (he’s really into clean living and won’t even have a paracetamol so it’s not a surprise) and whilst she respected his wishes, he hasn’t respected hers and has been really difficult with her over having the vaccine, and especially over fertility fears.
I have friends who have been in a similar situation. Unfortunately they have now split up and their differing views and their actions over the course of the pandemic were a major contributing cause. I think it would have happened anyway, but the pandemic definitely exacerbated the situation. My friend is also in to clean living - thinks crystals, drinking oily tea, doing daily yoga and walking barefoot in the woods to "ground" herself in nature is all she needs for a healthy immune system. It must be so hard for couples who have such different views on things like this.

• Sad
Reactions: 2
yes it really is.. I am vaccinated and my partner won't get the vaccine..
The last year has been really tough tbh.. If we didnt have an 18 month old son I would hve left long ago but he loves his dad and it is hard for me to leave atm..

• Sad
Reactions: 7
Cynically pessimistic predictions are conspiracy theories now?

Loads of people predicted the threat of lockdowns or restrictions coming back, purely on the basis of cockup without needing anyone controlling anything or having a master plan other than the one the politicians have clearly failed to implement.

Vaccine certificates have existed longer than I have been alive and restrictions based on them is nothing new even if they are being unwisely waved about like a magic fix and mis-titled as 'passports'.
(before we even get to the for/against, FWIW I am 'not for')

The politicians are scared of getting another nasty report and are waving the threat of restrictions in the hope that this is enough. Imposing Plan B would be massively unpopular and actually lose votes this time.

Reactions: 4
Cynically pessimistic predictions are conspiracy theories now?

Loads of people predicted the threat of lockdowns or restrictions coming back, purely on the basis of cockup without needing anyone controlling anything or having a master plan other than the one the politicians have clearly failed to implement.

Vaccine certificates have existed longer than I have been alive and restrictions based on them is nothing new even if they are being unwisely waved about like a magic fix and mis-titled as 'passports'.
(before we even get to the for/against, FWIW I am 'not for')

The politicians are scared of getting another nasty report and are waving the threat of restrictions in the hope that this is enough. Imposing Plan B would be massively unpopular and actually lose votes this time.
It is common sense and the inevitable that restrictions would need to be put in place again if there was reason for them, i.e. high cases putting a strain on the NHS and other services.

I do think it was wrong for Boris to remove the social distancing/masks in some settings and if they are to bring these restrictions back, people will not comply. The majority of the EU countries kept such restrictions and their cases are lower, of course Boris has to be the odd one out and do as he pleases. Incompetent.

Reactions: 8
I was going to post this one on the conspiracy thread as a suggestion of something to be wary of but I really can't be arsed with the kind of argument that would kick off so I'll leave it here on the off chance..

There's a clip of what I guess is a radio show where someone googles a UK gov report and then reads out a scary sounding death figure without saying what it actually is, and then a certain Mr Fox tweets this and nobody asks 'are you sure this means what he says it means'?

Reluctant as I am to help the 'other side' as it were, the figures they quote are from a table that's immediately after two short paragraphs headed "Interpretation of the data" that somehow seems to have been left unread.

The table only covers deaths among people ill enough to have needed emergency care, not the population as a whole and in case anyone missed the mumbled remark, was the figure for the over 80's so it's pretty much meaningless outside of that very specific context, of over 80s who have needed emergency care.

I admit I had a head start because I was already familiar with the reports, FWIW he is quoting from the latest one, no.25.

This isn't even "debunking", no fancy fact checker sites because it's right there in the same report.

There's stuff that's worth basing an argument on and there's stuff that isn't - figures trivially shown as misleading fall well within the "isn't".

Reactions: 6
I was going to post this one on the conspiracy thread as a suggestion of something to be wary of but I really can't be arsed with the kind of argument that would kick off so I'll leave it here on the off chance..

There's a clip of what I guess is a radio show where someone googles a UK gov report and then reads out a scary sounding death figure without saying what it actually is, and then a certain Mr Fox tweets this and nobody asks 'are you sure this means what he says it means'?

Reluctant as I am to help the 'other side' as it were, the figures they quote are from a table that's immediately after two short paragraphs headed "Interpretation of the data" that somehow seems to have been left unread.

The table only covers deaths among people ill enough to have needed emergency care, not the population as a whole and in case anyone missed the mumbled remark, was the figure for the over 80's so it's pretty much meaningless outside of that very specific context, of over 80s who have needed emergency care.

I admit I had a head start because I was already familiar with the reports, FWIW he is quoting from the latest one, no.25.

This isn't even "debunking", no fancy fact checker sites because it's right there in the same report.

There's stuff that's worth basing an argument on and there's stuff that isn't - figures trivially shown as misleading fall well within the "isn't".
Too may scenarios like this happening. Things are there for people to read and see, yet they choose to twist/miss things and go off on a complete tangent.

Similar to that article I posted on the other thread about the viral load being 251x higher in vaccinated than unvaccinated. The study was actually looking at viral loads of Delta variant infections compared to those infected with old strains and it found the viral load of Delta variant was 251x higher.

Reactions: 6
Several hundred people assembled at Deeley Plaza in Dallas yesterday convinced that at 12.29 pm John F Kennedy Junior was going to be announced as Trump's vice-president

Unfortunately JFK Jr. did not appear. MSNBC observed that "Kennedy's absence was likely due to the 1999 plane crash in which he died". This appeared not to be a barrier for the believers some of whom claimed to have seen Kobe Bryant, Robin Williams and Dale Earnhardt all also apparently unencumbered by being dead, in the crowd. Others claimed that JFK senior and Jackie Onassis would also put in an appearance, anoint Trump as 'King of Kings' and JFK Jr as President before going on a week's tour before dying again. When this failed to occur, some claimed that JFK Jr would appear at a Rolling Stones concert that evening.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 11
Several hundred people assembled at Deeley Plaza in Dallas yesterday convinced that at 12.29 pm John F Kennedy Junior was going to be announced as Trump's vice-president

Unfortunately JFK Jr. did not appear. MSNBC observed that "Kennedy's absence was likely due to the 1999 plane crash in which he died". This appeared not to be a barrier for the believers some of whom claimed to have seen Kobe Bryant, Robin Williams and Dale Earnhardt all also apparently unencumbered by being dead, in the crowd. Others claimed that JFK senior and Jackie Onassis would also put in an appearance, anoint Trump as 'King of Kings' and JFK Jr as President before going on a week's tour before dying again. When this failed to occur, some claimed that JFK Jr would appear at a Rolling Stones concert that evening.
Update: No sign of either JFK at The Stones' concert either

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Prime example of misinformation/disinformation on social media. Video debunks news clips/videos. Mainstream media and news is full of lies and manipulation according to some - well alternative sites are doing exactly this.

Update: No sign of either JFK at The Stones' concert either
As someone said on twitter, this would be the perfect opportunity for someone of vaguely the right age and vaguely the right looks¹ to just claim to be JFK Jr and make these people go "oh tit, what now". They'd just ignore any DNA tests or other discrepancies anyway.

¹Only vaguely, because such details as birth dates and family resemblance (or lack of) don't seem to bother people like that. They'd probably have to be white though. See the conspiracy theory that Katy Perry is actually Jon Benet Ramsey. Despite being nearly 10 years too old.

Prime example of misinformation/disinformation on social media. Video debunks news clips/videos. Mainstream media and news is full of lies and manipulation according to some - well alternative sites are doing exactly this.

I must say, I did point out inaccurate information when one of these videos were posted.

I just seen someone post of screenshot of tweets by Conor McGregor. About how Ireland has had the longest lockdown. Was it not Australia no? Correct me if I’m wrong

It seems to me that if anyone dies of anything CTs blame the vaccine, it’s just ridiculous now!

Reactions: 12
It seems to me that if anyone dies of anything CTs blame the vaccine, it’s just ridiculous now!
Pretty much. They seem to be taking every sudden death and saying "this person was vaccinated, therefore the vaccine killed them!"

Which is ludicrous, but thats never stopped them.

Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.