Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My company and their blindness. Before i had my first child 5 years ago i worked full time in a relatively senior management role. Went on mat leave and decided i only wanted to return to work part time. Baring in mind I was really good at my role and was very time efficient so would then split the rest of my time assisting on other projects etc. The person who took over my tole for mat leave cover was atrocious. She honest to god couldn't do the most basic functions on excel or use SAP which both were used frequently. Anyway she ended up being sacked as she made a series of ridiculous error that ended up with them having to pay out a 6 figure sum for releasing the customers investment to a bitter ex wife. Anyway when i wanted to return they wouldn't let me do part time as they specified they needed me to do 35 hour a week on the role, which is untrue but within their right. So i stayed in the company as its a good employer apart from that and I do a part time sales role from home and do quite well financially. Pro rata i make more as the comission is good. However they are always asking me to help out with my old role. I've told them absolutely not a few times but this time i said i would but at double my old hourly rate and they agreed. Just pisses me off that those in charge won't look past their own noses and come crawling back to me on the regular.

Reactions: 10
We have a new-ish sales team in our company and they're driving me around the bend.

Every time they make a sale, our boss makes a massive song and dance out of it. He sings their praises internally to all of us on cross-departmental events. We get reminded how amazing they are every time their team is even mentioned. Over on social media platforms (i.e. LinkedIn), we have our boss making posts and telling the whole world about the 'dream team'.

My problem with this is the complete lack of appreciation the rest of us. Sales would not be successful without the hard work (blood, sweat and tears!) of our customer service team. Our customers wouldn't have an app to use if it wasn't for the work of my team (we build and design the whole thing). There are 4 other teams too, I'm not going to name them all... but you get the picture.

I'm not asking for accolades or anything like that, but it's really tough to stay motivated when you feel completely unappreciated.

• Heart
Just tell them to turn it off and on and see if that works 🤣

I used to work for a tiny company and there was 1 ‘IT guy’. He was a total fraud and didn’t know how to fix any real IT issues. If you had a problem he would google it and then send you a screenshot of the instructions to fix it yourself.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 9
I used to work for a tiny company and there was 1 ‘IT guy’. He was a total fraud and didn’t know how to fix any real IT issues. If you had a problem he would google it and then send you a screenshot of the instructions to fix it yourself.
Omg the person in charge of IT in my firm does this!! So irritating. There was even one time when he was trying to fix something on my system and kept saying "can't find the button I'm looking for"... I ended up pointing it out to him.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 8
I used to wonder why people took early retirement or looked forward to retirement so damn much and think they were giving in a bit but with all these issues with work colleagues I can completely see why. It's often not the work that wears us down, it's the people and the politics.

I've been working for 20 years and have seen the same 'change management' bollocks come round three times already.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Colleagues who are tit at their job and don’t know the meaning of pulling their weight.
There is 1 colleague in my team who does the absolute bare minimum and more often than not she doesn’t even do that. She is the only team member who doesn’t pick up any extra work to help cover when someone is on holiday or off sick. If she is asked to pick up any extra tasks she never does them and then tries to blame other people.
In our line of work, most of our efforts are collective and it is not often that one person will be singled out as having done/not done something and she uses it to her advantage.
Though she will leap at the chance of some extra work if it means she will be directly involved with higher management and directors. I could go on but I would be here all day!

I used to wonder why people took early retirement or looked forward to retirement so damn much and think they were giving in a bit but with all these issues with work colleagues I can completely see why. It's often not the work that wears us down, it's the people and the politics.

I've been working for 20 years and have seen the same 'change management' bollocks come round three times already.
Absolutely. In recent years I have become less tolerant to the bollocks. I have walked out of 3 jobs because the politics was wearing my mental health down so much. I once started with a company on a Monday and by the Thursday I had let them know that I wouldn’t be staying because the environment was unhealthy and the relationships between colleagues was toxic.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Following up on my post above, today has already been tough because different departments are upset at each other and barely communicating properly. So childish, so petty. I hate office politics, bending over backwards for customers and generally being treated as an 'asset' instead of a human being.

If I had my way, I'd be living in a log cabin the Alps somewhere, making cheese and being chill.

• Heart
When you've got loads of work to do and you colleague decides is going to be a 'photo day'. Not just some photos, all the photos! We had a good trip down her memory lane.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 7
I had to go to an emergency clinic yesterday (St Patricks day here) as I have a problem for 2 weeks and the pain was so bad I caved in. Told manager this morning and she said right so what work do I have to do if you are not doing it?
She shut up when I said I might have to go to A & E. But still bitched about how she had so much to do.
She didnt say a word about me.doing 90 minutes when I have been signed off. She doesnt go sick so doesnt think other people should.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 11
I had to go to an emergency clinic yesterday (St Patricks day here) as I have a problem for 2 weeks and the pain was so bad I caved in. Told manager this morning and she said right so what work do I have to do if you are not doing it?
She shut up when I said I might have to go to A & E. But still bitched about how she had so much to do.
She didnt say a word about me.doing 90 minutes when I have been signed off. She doesnt go sick so doesnt think other people should.
I hope you're feeling better now ❤

I had hoped Covid would put an end to presenteeism, but it doesn't sound like it.

What an absolute wagon! I hate self-righteous people like that, acting as if it's some sort of war crime that you need medical attention.

I hope you're feeling better 💕

Reactions: 4
What an absolute wagon! I hate self-righteous people like that, acting as if it's some sort of war crime that you need medical attention.

I hope you're feeling better 💕
The medication is doing a wonderful job and Im on the mend but not even checking my emails. It can all wait until Monday.

• Heart
The medication is doing a wonderful job and Im on the mend but not even checking my emails. It can all wait until Monday.
Good! And make sure you stick to that! Now is the time for self-care; everything else can wait.

Reactions: 2
Excited about pizza parties...that bosses used to bribe them and there was a hidden rule in my company that if you get served pizza lunch you arent suppose to take lunch break. I am okay, I can buy my own pizza

• Haha
  • Heart
Excited about pizza parties...that bosses used to bribe them and there was a hidden rule in my company that if you get served pizza lunch you arent suppose to take lunch break. I am okay, I can buy my own pizza
omg my work place does this as well! And it is always dominoes which I hate anyway, then I am criticised for being "unsociable" for not wanting to join in. would rather go out and take my break thanks

This is going to sound so bitchy but I’m saying it anyway.

There’s a guy who isn’t good at our role despite 8 years experience. He doesn’t care. Doesn’t want to improve. I spent half hour correcting the spelling in an email for him and he put Netflix on half way through I could hear in the background. For months I’ve had to cover for him. Stay late. Correct mistakes he made.
He is now on a performance plan and he’s started booking in meetings with the team. Fridays meeting was to show us how to use a pointless spreadsheet he created to track our 2021 objectives. Not me being a cow but even our manager said no no stop this is pointless. Monday’s meeting is to show us how to use our staff intranet site and he’s been told to cancel that too.
It’s annoying me because he can’t even do the basics of our job correct. Now he’s trying to be a team player and showing us how to do non job related tasks such as how to use our own bloody intranet.
He also keeps bragging how he has years experience but he makes basic mistakes and doesn’t put any effort in. I don’t want him to lose his job so I hope the plan goes well. Just sick of having to work harder cause of him.

This is going to sound so bitchy but I’m saying it anyway.

There’s a guy who isn’t good at our role despite 8 years experience. He doesn’t care. Doesn’t want to improve. I spent half hour correcting the spelling in an email for him and he put Netflix on half way through I could hear in the background. For months I’ve had to cover for him. Stay late. Correct mistakes he made.
He is now on a performance plan and he’s started booking in meetings with the team. Fridays meeting was to show us how to use a pointless spreadsheet he created to track our 2021 objectives. Not me being a cow but even our manager said no no stop this is pointless. Monday’s meeting is to show us how to use our staff intranet site and he’s been told to cancel that too.
It’s annoying me because he can’t even do the basics of our job correct. Now he’s trying to be a team player and showing us how to do non job related tasks such as how to use our own bloody intranet.
He also keeps bragging how he has years experience but he makes basic mistakes and doesn’t put any effort in. I don’t want him to lose his job so I hope the plan goes well. Just sick of having to work harder cause of him.
Not bitchy atall. I had a person on a team like that who was completely blind to their own incompetence, but would blow his own trumpet and ‘mansplain’ to other people when they didn’t know how do something on excel. He would spend hours creating elaborate spreadsheets and other documents that nobody asked him to do, but wouldn’t do the basic daily tasks for his own job. He did lose his job in the end.

People who justify crappy treatment in the workplace by saying ‘it’s a pandemic, be grateful you have a job’

• Heart
Reactions: 26
People who moan and moan ... and moan some more, about how busy they are (they're usually the same ones who are tardy, don't plan and just love to complain about everything) ... :rolleyes:

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.