Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I work in a small office, there is 1 solicitor, me (full time legal secretary) and 3 other part time secretaries.

I am 25. My colleagues are all 50+.

The most annoying thing which they all do is constantly mention me being "young". They'll be having a conversation, I'll try join in and get "oh you won't understand you're too young". I'll complete a piece of work really quickly and I'll get "wow you youngsters work fast". I'll run up the stairs to pick up the phone "I'm glad you went up, your young legs can handle the stairs better than mine"

It drives me absolutely insane!!! What annoying things do all of your colleagues do?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 71
I used to work somewhere where my boss was shorter than me so she’d always refer to me as being really tall! I’m 5’8 🤣
Oh you can get it out of the cupboard you’re really tall!!! Fuk off!

• Haha
Reactions: 23
When I used to work for an IT company full-time you always had one or two colleagues who would arrive late every morning and leave early every evening with some lame excuse. And they always wanted to have the Easter and Christmas holidays off because they had children, which meant everybody else had to work through those holidays including the night shift.

And yet they always complained when somebody else was late coming into work or left early.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 46
Eat loudly with their mouth open 🤬 and very slowly eat a crisp at a time making it last for half an hour 😬

The people trying to force you to eat cake when you'd rather not, I swear some of them come September tell me it's Christmas and I should "treat" myself with factory junk food :rolleyes: I'm ok, you have it if you want to.

• Heart
Reactions: 48
I work in a small office, there is 1 solicitor, me (full time legal secretary) and 3 other part time secretaries.

The most annoying thing which they all do is constantly mention me being "young". They'll be having a conversation, I'll try join in and get "oh you won't understand you're too young". I'll complete a piece of work really quickly and I'll get "wow you youngsters work fast". I'll run up the stairs to pick up the phone "I'm glad you went up, your young legs can handle the stairs better than mine"

It drives me absolutely insane!!! What annoying things do all of your colleagues do?
Oh my god this happens to me all the time too and I’m not even that young! I get annoyed when my colleagues in their 50s automatically assume I can help them with anything to do with the computers, or leave that stuff to me because “you young people know how to do it”.... I wasn’t born knowing how to use Microsoft word ffs!! Bloody learn!

• Haha
Reactions: 42
A girl I work with says 'welcome back' all the time. I will come back from lunch or out of a meeting and she will say it. Boils my piss, I wasn't gone that long!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 72
Eat loudly with their mouth open 🤬 and very slowly eat a crisp at a time making it last for half an hour 😬

The people trying to force you to eat cake when you'd rather not, I swear some of them come September tell me it's Christmas and I should "treat" myself with factory junk food :rolleyes: I'm ok, you have it if you want to.
I can really relate to the bit about people forcing you to eat cake. In my old job we were a large office of over 250 employees so often had buffets for birthdays/retirements etc. I always avoid the buffet like the plague. I'd seen plenty of people in that office come out of the loo without washing their hands so I was not willing to eat savoury eggs or sausage rolls which had potentially been fingered by one of them. I'd forever be subject to comments like "stop being so boring" "have a day off the diet!" "come on, join in"

I'm not on a diet Karen, neither am I boring, I just prefer my food un-fingered!

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 63
I can really relate to the bit about people forcing you to eat cake. In my old job we were a large office of over 250 employees so often had buffets for birthdays/retirements etc. I always avoid the buffet like the plague. I'd seen plenty of people in that office come out of the loo without washing their hands so I was not willing to eat savoury eggs or sausage rolls which had potentially been fingered by one of them. I'd forever be subject to comments like "stop being so boring" "have a day off the diet!" "come on, join in"

I'm not on a diet Karen, neither am I boring, I just prefer my food un-fingered!
They almost take it as an attack on them.

Pretty much it's none of their business what other people eat, and I don't think anyone should feel the need to justify it to work colleagues!

Reactions: 18
A colleague who sat at a desk in front of me always used to drum her fingernails on her desk or tap her fingernails on her keyboard when she was on the phone. There were so many times I wanted to throw my own phone at her head:mad:

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: 17

I feel that way about certain people and the food they made at home. I have seen your desk... if your house looks anything like it I am not sure I want to eat your food.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 29
Relate about the eating.

For some reason I hate eating in front of work colleagues, even more so when it’s stuff that I haven’t bought/prepared myself. So it used to do my head in when they’d pressure me to eat stuff that had been brought in or go on about how skinny I was because I never ate any of it. I’ve had this in most of my jobs but I think the worst was when I was mainly working with women 50+.

The worst thing ever was when someone made me a cake for my birthday and I had to eat it while they all stared at me... (happened in two separate jobs)

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 27

I know you said this is about colleagues but my partners mum does this too and it annoys me lol!
I'm in my partners family group chat and he has lots of aunties and they're all in their 50's & like to reminisce about songs/tv shows they grew up with and my partners mum sometimes brings up that i "won't remember or know" etc she's lovely but it's that one thing she does that annoys me as i'm 27

Reactions: 7
A woman started in my office about a year ago. She’s 50+ but came in at entry level. I was senior to her when she started and shortly after earned another promotion and she has a massive chip on her shoulder about it (I’m in my 20s). She constantly tries to undermine me and make little digs. It wouldn’t bother so much if she wasn’t so terrible at her job 😂. She always refers to herself as an “older woman” and thinks she should be treated differently and given undue respect just because she’s 50 odd. Don’t think so hen

• Haha
Reactions: 33
We have a fork biter. Yep. She eats at her desk and when she uses her fork she drags the food off it with her teeth and it makes a "nails down a chalkboard" type scraping noise. I have to go for a walk.

• Sick
  • Wow
Reactions: 51
A woman started in my office about a year ago. She’s 50+ but came in at entry level. I was senior to her when she started and shortly after earned another promotion and she has a massive chip on her shoulder about it (I’m in my 20s). She constantly tries to undermine me and make little digs. It wouldn’t bother so much if she wasn’t so terrible at her job 😂. She always refers to herself as an “older woman” and thinks she should be treated differently and given undue respect just because she’s 50 odd. Don’t think so hen
I'm only in my late 20s, but a couple of years back I used to work for an IT company with my skillset covering VMware infrastructure. I was asked to install some tin into their datacentre, and plug it all into the network and storage arrays.

Being the new girl in town I was on the receiving end of quite a lot of baiting from the older hands in that place. "Stand by your beds, Techgirl is here to save us!" they would sometimes chorus.

Then you'd get the know-it-all-head trying to undermine me in front of his mates with some bogus technobabble, thinking I would just bow down and accept his superior knowledge.

Alas for him, and others, I retorted with a load of my own technobabble, which I clearly demonstrated on their computers, all of which worked!

They showed just the teeniest bit more respect after that:devilish:

• Haha
Reactions: 19
We have a fork biter. Yep. She eats at her desk and when she uses her fork she drags the food off it with her teeth and it makes a "nails down a chalkboard" type scraping noise. I have to go for a walk.
Oh no, I've got a confession! I am a fork biter! 🙈🙈

My other half gets soooo angry at me about it but I mean it when I say, I honestly have absolutely no idea I am doing it!

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 8
Oh my god this happens to me all the time too and I’m not even that young! I get annoyed when my colleagues in their 50s automatically assume I can help them with anything to do with the computers, or leave that stuff to me because “you young people know how to do it”.... I wasn’t born knowing how to use Microsoft word ffs!! Bloody learn!
Yep.

Always those colleagues who recoil in horror if the “young ones” get a project or asked to do something with a bit more seniority.

So, basically the young in the office (anyone under 50 it would seem!) are there to do “IT things” 🙄

Anyway a particular WFH trend: I’ve been online since 8am... and my colleagues starts trying to call me at back of 5 😡😡 doing my head in!

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 14
@Bloom95 I’m a fellow fork biter 😂 I hate the thought of my lips around a fork. I’ve never thought about if anyone else can see I’m doing it, especially at work.

In my last job, my pet hate was older people going on about retirement when I’ve got about 1000 years to go. Also in the same job (teaching), colleagues making me feel bad about actually leaving the room/building to have lunch! You ARE allowed to eat 🤦🏻‍♀️

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.