Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Food- I feel bad saying this, colleague kindly brought food for the whole office, it was some traditional cakes or something. Once she brought this cake and everyone was like omg so nice and sang praise but deep down we didnt really like it (how do I know? Because we spoke). And because we gave a lot of praise to her cake, almost every 2-3 weeks, we were served the same cake.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Am so glad I am a self-employed IT contractor these days because working full time in an office 7 or 8 hours a day often did my head in.

One big issue back in the day was windows (and I don't mean the operating system). On hot days some people near the windows were getting baked under direct sunlight, and wanted the windows open, with the blinds pulled too. Inevitably, people sitting on the other side of the room, in the shade, protested saying it would be too cold/too dark.

Then you had the reverse at winter time - people near the windows wanted them closed because of draughts; but people on the side of the room (where the central heating radiators were) wanted them left open slightly, to bring in cool air.

Finally, there was the use of desk fans in the summer. Some people had large fans, others quite small - both did the same job of keeping people cool, but also blowing other people's paperwork all over the shop, and some fans used to squeak when they rotated.

Lots of mutterings and gnashings of teeth as I recall. Glad that's all behind me now

• Haha
Reactions: 10
We have a fork biter. Yep. She eats at her desk and when she uses her fork she drags the food off it with her teeth and it makes a "nails down a chalkboard" type scraping noise. I have to go for a walk.
I actually physically shuddered reading that 😂

Reactions: 4
Some days I hate WAH (which I have been doing since March and will be doing for the foreseeable). However this thread has reminded me how much better my mental health has been away from all the annoyances of office life.

Reactions: 27
Some days I hate WAH (which I have been doing since March and will be doing for the foreseeable). However this thread has reminded me how much better my mental health has been away from all the annoyances of office life.
I totally agreed I am a much happier person wfh. No drama no snitching

Reactions: 7
I have a colleague that is literally obsessed with my partner, I don’t normally share any aspects of my private life because half the people I work with are Middle Aged low lives but anyway I’m only 25 and I must admit my partner is quite well off.
For example I’ll be speaking to my one and only work bestie about something on the other side of the room about how my partner recently brought me a car ( it’s a Mercedes).
This one particular colleague who is on the other side of the room is obviously listening to our convo and will butt in to the convo and exlaim to the whole office
“Omg your partner has bought you a car!!!!! Lucky you!! What job does he do? Whatever he’s doing I wanna do it!!!”
It does my bleeping head in that he is always listening to my convo no matter how quiet I try to be and he is always asking what my partner does and how he does, it’s so condensing because I feeel like when he asks he’s trying to catch me out, it’s as if he feels as though If someone is young and they have money they have to be doing something Illegal it does my head in!!!

Fish eaters do my nut in. There is no need to bring things into an enclosed space which contains that awful tuna mayo smell or sushi. Like egg.
Someone in my office brought in their leftover Octopus and heated it up in the microwave 🙃

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 32
Eating stinky food at their desk is a pet hate of mine and anyone who reheats fish in the office kitchen 🤢🤢🤢
When I was in an office we had had a team leader who used to bring in and heat up fish pie in the tiny shared kitchen and sit at her desk and eat it... swear they only do it for attention 🙃

• Sick
I have a colleague that is literally obsessed with my partner, I don’t normally share any aspects of my private life because half the people I work with are Middle Aged low lives but anyway I’m only 25 and I must admit my partner is quite well off.
For example I’ll be speaking to my one and only work bestie about something on the other side of the room about how my partner recently brought me a car ( it’s a Mercedes).
This one particular colleague who is on the other side of the room is obviously listening to our convo and will butt in to the convo and exlaim to the whole office
“Omg your partner has bought you a car!!!!! Lucky you!! What job does he do? Whatever he’s doing I wanna do it!!!"
It does my bleeping head in that he is always listening to my convo no matter how quiet I try to be and he is always asking what my partner does and how he does, it’s so condensing because I feeel like when he asks he’s trying to catch me out, it’s as if he feels as though If someone is young and they have money they have to be doing something Illegal it does my head in!!!
Omg there is a woman in my office who is like this! She sits on a bank of desks near our bank and is technically part of our team but she is part of a separate smaller team. If ANYONE on our bank is having a chat she is always, always listening, she hears everything! And sometimes she will jump in and answer questions that aren't even aimed at her! It drives everyone on my bank crazy!

• Haha
Reactions: 5
People who grass you up for inane things. I used to work in a supermarket on the checkouts. In winter it was freezing because we’re right by the doors which are constantly letting the cold in. My feet in particular were constantly cold. I used to wear black trousers with a slight flare on the bottom, this meant that instead of my usual work shoes I could get away with wearing plain black ugg boots under my trousers. It was fab! My feet were toasty warm and no one noticed or said anything for weeks, being sat behind a checkout no one could see my shoes anyway. Such a small thing, but I felt so much better in myself not having cold feet all the time. Until one day I was walking to the back, and some random colleague from the shop floor looks at my shoes in absolute * shock * and says that I can’t wear them because it’s not allowed, which is technically true I suppose. Didn’t think anymore of it. Next day someone from HR comes up to me, they were quite apologetic really and said I could no longer wear my ugg boots. I protested a bit about the cold and how no one had noticed until that one colleague said something, but she said she was sorry but she had to enforce the dress code. So that was the end of that.

Pissed me right off that did, no need for such busybodies one the workplace. If it was a safety thing I’d get it but my normal work shoes weren’t any ‘safer’ than ugg boots.

Last edited:
  • Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 25
When no one gives a flying duck about your allergy that could kill you.

I’ve seen people hide it in their drawer and eat it in secret as I have a reaction.
Had a part time colleague working in the office and when she went home early afternoon someone with a severe nut allergy would start their shift and take over her seat at the desk - she would eat nuts every day without fail and wipe the desk down with an anti bac wipe before she went home??? Why couldn’t you hold off eating your nuts for an hour when you know someone with an allergy will be using your mouse and keyboard?! When i brought it up anyone else in the office would say “yeah but she wipes it down before she goes”😒 don’t know why they couldn’t see how selfish it was!!

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 22
If I get a personal parcel delivered to work without fail someone will say ‘ooohh, what have you got?’, even if I just put it in my bag without opening it. I find it SO RUDE. It’s a bleeping massive dildo Sandra, mind your own business.

Oh AND another one who constantly talks about ‘being naughty’ and failing at her ‘diet’. Every Monday it’s ’oh I’ve been so naughty this weekend, I must try and be good’. Just BE GOOD. Or, eat what you enjoy in moderation and don’t be so restrictive with a diet that you set yourself up to fail. Does my head in.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 34
I have a colleague who is obsessed with what other people eat. If one of us gets a McDonalds, she has to witch about it to other people like ‘that’s the second one she’s had this week...’... what seems to annoy her even more is if someone has a healthy lunch. She can’t stand it, it’s like someone is personally attacking her for having a healthier lunch than she does. So weird, who cares what anyone else eats?! I know I don’t, unless it stinks out the staff room.

• Haha
Reactions: 26
Also had a girl every week without fail would ask me if I’m having another child!
people have no brain asking questions like that to someone you hardly know!

• Wow
  • Angry
Let the door slam behind them. And there tends to be a constant flurry of people going in and out. I sit right by the door. It's so infuriating.

“Omg your partner has bought you a car!!!!! Lucky you!! What job does he do? Whatever he’s doing I wanna do it!!!”
I hate this too! It’s just jealousy, god forbid we have partners who actually work hard without breaking the law 😂 It’s the passive aggressive comments “I’d never be able to afford that” ok but I don’t have children yet so we can afford it Karen

The age thing annoys me too. I’m 27 and have been a manager since I was 22 which is young for that position in my type of company. It obviously didn’t sit well with some people - a lot of them are quite a bit older than me. I had someone literally say to me recently “but you’re like 12”. Piss off Dave I’m 27 stop being bitter ffs.

• Haha
Reactions: 14
I remember being in this office for a short while and this one woman just could not get over the fact that I didn't drink tea or coffee during the day. It honestly blew her mind. I had to keep explaining that I don't like coffee and while I like a morning cup of tea, I just don't drink it through the day and prefer water.

She would constantly mentioned it and point it out to everyone like it was some massive issue. If anyone offered to make tea she would tell them to make sure they don't ask me because lo and feckin' behold... "She doesn't drink tea!"

🤦‍♀️

About food, though. If you're having your lunch in a room with kitchen facilities for eating and drinking then I do think it's rather rude for others to comment on food smells. Everyone hates the aromas of certain foods but no one should feel bad for just having their lunch. I'm specially mean the ones who literally comment when people are eating.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 11
An older lady I used to share a desk with was always way too happy and would always be like ‘happy Monday!’ ‘Happy Tuesday!’ And so on. I hated my job so found it infuriating.

the worst one was a woman who’s only topic of conversation was her nine year old child. You could tell everyone’s eyes were glazing over. If you were eating pasta it would be ‘oh molly loves pasta’ or if you’d seen a film ‘oh molly doesn’t like that film’....bugger off we’ve never met her and don’t freaking care

• Haha
Reactions: 18
Last week, one of the 10 men on my team at work called me the name of the only other woman in the team 🙄 Didn't even apologise

• Angry
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.