Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m so sorry your dealing with infertility, I’m going through something similar and know how soul destroying it is when people ask/make comments. I find it hardest when I’m having a good day and a Throwaway comment can leave me devastated :(

My husband works away for months at a time - we never know what date he’ll be home and can’t ever forward plan Which is hard but we make it work between us. one of my colleagues asks every day when he’s due home, I’m sure she’s only trying to be nice/friendly but 5 x a week on a 3 month trip She drives me absolutely mad!!

work over sharing in general -share as much info about yourself as you want, but please respect I’m quite private and don’t want to share the details of my last smear test, parents divorce from 20 years ago or anything else that’s my business
I’m exactly the same as you. My son is 3.5yrs and we are endlessly being asked if we are having another. I don’t want to discuss it with Susan on the front desk, but my husband was seriously unwell last year with his mental health and he is still scared by having a relapse and us having a newborn too. Also I had two losses before my son. I just smile sweetly and tell them that I’ll ask the stork and then cry in my car.

Can I just say breathing? Generally existing?

I’m a nurse and I’ve been moved to theatres from ICU. I’m with a team of people who aren’t a team as they just don’t talk to each other. One day I found a patient in recovery asleep. I ask wheres their nurse. The co-ordinator explained that their nurse has to leave at 5pm as she doesn’t like driving in the dark so this patient is yours now. Oh okay then! Said person gets to leave at 2pm on a Friday as she “shops for her elderly mum” so I always have the 8pm finish, thus meaning that by the time I’ve picked up my son from my mums, drove home, bathed him, fed him, put him to bed it’s nearly bloody 10pm.

I need to go back to ICU.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 18
Agree with the assumptions that the young ones will do anything technical (ctl c ctl v amaze anyone else’s team?!?!) and also young means I’m assumed to take on anything administrative based (we have no PA anymore), and also being the only woman I’m automatically the one assumed to take Charge of booking restaurants for meals out or organising birthday cards for the team etc!

Reactions: 10
Agree with the assumptions that the young ones will do anything technical (ctl c ctl v amaze anyone else’s team?!?!) and also young means I’m assumed to take on anything administrative based (we have no PA anymore), and also being the only woman I’m automatically the one assumed to take Charge of booking restaurants for meals out or organising birthday cards for the team etc!
I don't even want to tell how many times I had to explain to some people that their email won't go because xyz@gmail isn't a complete email address 😂 They aren't even "old", they had just as much time as the rest of us to learn things. My parents are older than my work people and both of them work with computers on a regular basis. I get asking for help for tricky stuff but not the basics. We've had computers for decades, it's not like 6 of us are trying to learn the literacy in front of a massive white Packard Bell anymore. If it's expected of the young ones, it should be expected of the older employees too.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
We've got an admin girl who has "may the odds be ever in your favour" in swirly writing as her signature on email. Luckily she doesn't really email clients, just internally, but still. Cringe.

I work in a predominantly male environment and one of my male colleagues always calls me "cheeky" - makes me want to pick up my computer and throw it at him. Prick.
Hahahaha that quote of the film has made my day on her emails 😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Breathe !
And
Worked beside a girl who munched on apples. I had to get up and go for a walk when she got them out.
A colleague of mine used to bring in a lemon for after his lunch. He would peel it like a satsuma and eat it without flinching...

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 25
I’m a nurse and I’ve been moved to theatres from ICU. I’m with a team of people who aren’t a team as they just don’t talk to each other. One day I found a patient in recovery asleep. I ask wheres their nurse. The co-ordinator explained that their nurse has to leave at 5pm as she doesn’t like driving in the dark so this patient is yours now. Oh okay then! Said person gets to leave at 2pm on a Friday as she “shops for her elderly mum” so I always have the 8pm finish, thus meaning that by the time I’ve picked up my son from my mums, drove home, bathed him, fed him, put him to bed it’s nearly bloody 10pm.

I need to go back to ICU.
Fellow ICU nurse here... What the hell!? I’d be saying something about that! That’s nonsense. People do take the piss don’t they.

We have someone who has to leave before handover if they’ve done a night shift because they need to “sort out the dog”, so hands over their patient to the nurse in the bed space next to them. Meaning if you’re that nurse you then have to handover your patient to the day shift and then their patient to the day shift - which takes like an extra 15-30mins depending on complexity. And don’t get paid for staying late! They’ve been doing this for the 16yrs they’ve worked there so it’ll never be stopped, but it’s utterly ridiculous. Amazes me that managers let this happen.

• Wow
Reactions: 9
Fellow ICU nurse here... What the hell!? I’d be saying something about that! That’s nonsense. People do take the piss don’t they.

We have someone who has to leave before handover if they’ve done a night shift because they need to “sort out the dog”, so hands over their patient to the nurse in the bed space next to them. Meaning if you’re that nurse you then have to handover your patient to the day shift and then their patient to the day shift - which takes like an extra 15-30mins depending on complexity. And don’t get paid for staying late! They’ve been doing this for the 16yrs they’ve worked there so it’ll never be stopped, but it’s utterly ridiculous. Amazes me that managers let this happen.
My unit has closed, and I’ve been moved. Can’t say I’m a fan of there at the moment.

That kind of thing boils my piss. Sort the dog out? Get a sitter. Ive began to resent that nurse as I was pulled into the managers office saying I have to work Fridays lates so X can take her mum to the co-op but I have to make my toddler stay up late until I get home?

Ps yay a fellow icu nurse

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 8
I'm pretty sure my colleague has an eating disorder - orthorexia (obsession with clean eating and rules). I'm bulimic (something I keep well hidden from all), so I do my best to sympathise with her.. but dear god she makes it tough sometimes!

We can't go out for a company lunch/dinner anywhere decent because she won't eat gluten, dairy, soy, certain meats, certain fruits, caffeine... the list goes on. She will flex about her exercise regime for hours if you let her. She lectures others on the food they eat, and how it'll kill you. I'm a vegetarian and she constantly tells me humans are SuPpoSed tO EaT mEAt. Oh and you try to talk to her about anything, all she'll tell you is how busy she is, she has no time, check her schedule (this girl has her toilet break scheduled in her google calendar). Her competitiveness is on another level too, but because we are on different teams, I don't really deal with that much.

The sad thing about eating disorders is they are all about control. When you feel like your life is out of control, food is one of the only ways you can gain that control back. She's clearly struggling, but she'd never accept help. And because society/our ever beloved influencers have normalised the 'clean eating' trend, that behaviour is not seen as problematic.

Me sticking my hands down my throat after eating everything in my kitchen is seen as a disease. And you'd be correct, it is.
But my colleague refusing to eat most major food groups, obsessing over exercise and being obsessive about certain mannerisms... nope, that's not a problem at all.

Reactions: 13
I have one colleague who never pulls their weight and gets away with it . it had been noted by my boss who will say nothing but inform me he agrees that they are useless and lazy. When people ask me how many people work i normally reply with ones who actually pull their weight.

Stinky food is another one

Reactions: 5
I work with a colleague who smells so bad like she has been smoking all day in her shop uniform. It’s so much worse than stale smoke smell it’s like a dirty gross smell. I can’t stand close too long because I start heaving. It’s bad. Work in a shop aswell lol

I understand everyone circumstances are different but they have full time hours and can afford a bar of soap and some cheap washing powder.

• Sick
Reactions: 4
I don't even want to tell how many times I had to explain to some people that their email won't go because xyz@gmail isn't a complete email address 😂 They aren't even "old", they had just as much time as the rest of us to learn things. My parents are older than my work people and both of them work with computers on a regular basis. I get asking for help for tricky stuff but not the basics. We've had computers for decades, it's not like 6 of us are trying to learn the literacy in front of a massive white Packard Bell anymore. If it's expected of the young ones, it should be expected of the older employees too.
Maybe it’s like learning to drive, some people just don’t get it. A long time ago, I was a secretary trying to show a temp how to use our word processor and it was like rocket science to her, even though all the commands were clearly written out. She was maybe in her thirties. To be fair though, the early days it was much more complicated, things have become simpler. My MIL won’t hardly use anything on her laptop but she’s intelligent, but my mum was pretty good at all sorts on the computer until she became ill, so at least till age 70.

I can relate to so many of these things. I used to work with a girl she’s left now, she used to tell everyone how to do their job. I took a few off on compassionate leave once because my grandma died and she messaged me saying how I was lucky she was able to step in and save the day.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 15
Colleague drinks from her water bottle like her life depends on it and sometimes leaves herself gasping for air because she drinks so aggressively. I know this isn’t a huge deal compared to some but it annoys the life out of me.

• Haha
Reactions: 24
Oh my days I agree with so many of these but the one that always bugs me is people toilet habits. I get most people don’t like to go at work but I can’t be avoided however if you do please flush and make sure it’s all gone and use a bit of air freshener etc. One woman used to go religiously every day after her morning coffee to the single toilet which closed properly but would then swing it open when she left didn’t close the door behind which backed into the office till we all got a whiff of her breakfast coming out 😷

• Sick
Reactions: 13
I work with an “oversharer”. She talks very openly and loudly about every aspect of her and her kids boring little lives. She routinely describes the content of their nappies to whole office :sick:.

I also work with a man who’s personal hygiene is a threat to people’s health and safety. He has a finger permanently lodged up his nose and wears the same clothes for 3/4 days. He doesn’t even smell of BO as much as just pure filth? Then has the cheek to moan that the smell of perfume irritates him! It’s to mask YOUR STENCH!!

• Sick
  • Haha
The WORST thing is people who use a spoon for their tea or coffee but don’t wash it up and just conveniently leave it in the sink for someone else to put in the dishwasher

Reactions: 9
Dear god after reading these it has made me be thankful for working from home ... I had forgotten how god damn annoying humans truly are 🤣🤢

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
Reading these it’s making me think I wonder what people find annoying about me 😂 I probably talk about my kids a lot 😳

• Wow
Reactions: 7
I can really relate to the bit about people forcing you to eat cake. In my old job we were a large office of over 250 employees so often had buffets for birthdays/retirements etc. I always avoid the buffet like the plague. I'd seen plenty of people in that office come out of the loo without washing their hands so I was not willing to eat savoury eggs or sausage rolls which had potentially been fingered by one of them. I'd forever be subject to comments like "stop being so boring" "have a day off the diet!" "come on, join in"

I'm not on a diet Karen, neither am I boring, I just prefer my food un-fingered!
One of my colleagues often bakes for the staff room and everytime, all the staff are digging in like hungry pigeons. We had a Christmas meal and I went to the loo, myself and the baker came out the cubicles at the same time, both went to the sink, I was washing my hands, she adjusted her hair and then left. This is why I don't eat other peoples home made food 🤢

• Sick
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.