Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time? #5

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
i was on leave 2 weeks ago, set my out of office and it clearly displays on Teams im OOO, came back to hords of questions asking the most basic things, id even put in my ststus who to contact
Taking a positive from this - you must be vital for the smooth running of the place and people feel your absense when you're away. So if you're in a job where you can negotiate pay, ask for more!

Reactions: 4
I always get the end of year email dump. Stuff that's been sitting in their in boxes for months and then they suddenly realize they have to clear it before the end of the year. And they arranged to take their vacations between Christmas and New Year. So guess who gets to deal with all of their crap?
I also love when someone sends something stating "this needs to go out today"...two hours after I've signed out for the day. Well, good luck buddy, guess you'll have to do it yourself!

Last edited:
Reactions: 6
Agree with all the woes about death by email at this time of year. I always scroll down when I get set an email chain to see how long it's been going on. If it's sat in someone's inbox for ages before getting to me it can't be that urgent.

When I write emails I always re-read them before sending just to check for accuracy and that it sounds OK, given it's harder to detect tone in emails. However, so many people don't. I received one recently which came across as plain rude. It annoyed me even though it wasn't directed at me! I know the guy who sent it and, while he's not a complete arse he can be quite direct at times but in person he laughs, so you realise he doesn't mean it quite as rudely as he sounds. However in email you don't get that effect, so he often comes across as unpleasant.

I just think there are ways of terming things. For example: "This isn't something my team can look at because it falls outside our remit. You need to speak to X" is so much better than "Why has this been sent to me? It's not for my team to do".

Reactions: 2
Agree with all the woes about death by email at this time of year. I always scroll down when I get set an email chain to see how long it's been going on. If it's sat in someone's inbox for ages before getting to me it can't be that urgent.

When I write emails I always re-read them before sending just to check for accuracy and that it sounds OK, given it's harder to detect tone in emails. However, so many people don't. I received one recently which came across as plain rude. It annoyed me even though it wasn't directed at me! I know the guy who sent it and, while he's not a complete arse he can be quite direct at times but in person he laughs, so you realise he doesn't mean it quite as rudely as he sounds. However in email you don't get that effect, so he often comes across as unpleasant.

I just think there are ways of terming things. For example: "This isn't something my team can look at because it falls outside our remit. You need to speak to X" is so much better than "Why has this been sent to me? It's not for my team to do".
Agreed. Sometimes I worry so much about tone I end up trying to overcompensate and add lots of emojis and exclamation marks because I am really friendly! 😅

If someone sends something to me but it's not something I deal with I usually forward it to the person who does and cc them in to say it's not something I know about but x will be able to help.

It doesn't cost anything to be polite. I know some people are naturally more direct but it can damage some working relationships.

Reactions: 1
Got an email from the big boss. Said he was sending me some data but he'd looked at it and hadn't understood it so I probably wouldn't either. Not sure why he assumed that given the amount and depth of experience I have working with data, was kinda annoyed, especially as he knew what my experience was as he did my interview 🙄

Had to create a new report with someone else's data model. There is no documentation on how to use the data model nor is it obvious what things mean. Like there are flags hidden in data tables and other tables that just have flags in, it makes no sense. Contacted the person who made it to ask for some clarification and got the snarkiest response. Like if they don't want people contacting them for help maybe they should publish instructions or something 🤔

Reactions: 5
Got an email from the big boss. Said he was sending me some data but he'd looked at it and hadn't understood it so I probably wouldn't either. Not sure why he assumed that given the amount and depth of experience I have working with data, was kinda annoyed, especially as he knew what my experience was as he did my interview 🙄

Had to create a new report with someone else's data model. There is no documentation on how to use the data model nor is it obvious what things mean. Like there are flags hidden in data tables and other tables that just have flags in, it makes no sense. Contacted the person who made it to ask for some clarification and got the snarkiest response. Like if they don't want people contacting them for help maybe they should publish instructions or something 🤔

I hate that.

'Whyyyyyyy doesn't your data match?'

'Because it looks like whoever did it before pulled the figures out of their arse on the basis of what they thought you wanted to be told'

'We want your data to match'

'How? There's no record of their methodology, what dependencies, what variables, what arsecheek it emerged from first. I might as well ask my cat to give you numbers on the basis of the shape of his turds in his litter tray. I can give you a baseline with a full explanation, though'.

'OK.'

<multifactorial analysis is submitted>

'Can you make it match?'

• Haha
Reactions: 7
I hate that.

'Whyyyyyyy doesn't your data match?'

'Because it looks like whoever did it before pulled the figures out of their arse on the basis of what they thought you wanted to be told'

'We want your data to match'

'How? There's no record of their methodology, what dependencies, what variables, what arsecheek it emerged from first. I might as well ask my cat to give you numbers on the basis of the shape of his turds in his litter tray. I can give you a baseline with a full explanation, though'.

'OK.'

<multifactorial analysis is submitted>

'Can you make it match?'
OMG! Do you work in my office? This is literally every other query that comes into the team! 😂😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: 3
A couple of weeks ago a colleague asked me for some help with something. I helped him out and we both realised he'd stumbled across a slight issue that needed to be raised - so I told him that and gave him guidance on who to raise it with.

Of course now I find out that he didn't bother raising it because I'd answered his question and he couldn't be arsed raising the issue as he probably felt like it was too much bother. Sometimes it feels like laziness is a trait shared by 99% of the people I work with...

A couple of weeks ago a colleague asked me for some help with something. I helped him out and we both realised he'd stumbled across a slight issue that needed to be raised - so I told him that and gave him guidance on who to raise it with.

Of course now I find out that he didn't bother raising it because I'd answered his question and he couldn't be arsed raising the issue as he probably felt like it was too much bother. Sometimes it feels like laziness is a trait shared by 99% of the people I work with...
I feel your pain, 9 times out of 10 I’m the one logging tickets and chasing resolutions while everyone else sits there typing “is x down?” 🙄

Then they need copious amounts of direction on what work they should do while x program is down. Ffs.

So torn. I’ve been scouted for a job. It’s £5k more, closer to home and more of what I enjoy.

However, I’ve only been in my current role 3 months. I’m not loving it. The guy I have to work with in my team is a patronising hole. I’ve posted about him before on this thread because he’s so rude.

I’m just worried because my last job before this one was also short term (job wasn’t what it was advertised as) so if I leave now it’s two short stints on my CV which doesn’t look great. But if I don’t go for this job I’m worried I’ll regret it as I’m not super happy.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I have been having issues with another team whose work feeds in to mine. In November over 80% of their work was wrong and needed rework from me. I'm an accountant and what they are doing is a massive audit risk. This has been going on since April and I have flagged it so many times. I have escalated it. My manager and I are both so frustrated. We have had multiple calls and emails. We had another call today and i went through the november stats and all I get is excuse after excuse and blaming other people. I know it's all lies but no one is calling them out on it. I called them out on some lies that I can prove are wrong but its so frustrating.

Reactions: 2
So torn. I’ve been scouted for a job. It’s £5k more, closer to home and more of what I enjoy.

However, I’ve only been in my current role 3 months. I’m not loving it. The guy I have to work with in my team is a patronising hole. I’ve posted about him before on this thread because he’s so rude.

I’m just worried because my last job before this one was also short term (job wasn’t what it was advertised as) so if I leave now it’s two short stints on my CV which doesn’t look great. But if I don’t go for this job I’m worried I’ll regret it as I’m not super happy.
Go for the job honestly its not worth being unhappy in a job when you have another better one being handed to you!

• Heart
Reactions: 17

Go for it. Definitely.

• Heart
Reactions: 9

Don't be torn!! Go for it. If anyone were to question the two short stints you can explain that an offer came up that was a great fit and you didn't want to miss the opportunity

• Heart
Reactions: 9

I left two jobs quickly in succession. One was less than 6 months and one was just over a year. No one ever asked why I left in interviews.

• Heart

I'd go for it myself. Nothing ventured, nothing gained and all that.

Plus if a future employer queried why you only spent a few months at your current role, being honest and saying you were scouted for a role closer to home isn't a bad thing to say, because I think most people would agree it's a sensible option!

• Heart
Reactions: 7

I’d do it.

• Heart
Reactions: 3

Go for it!! You can't live with "what if" looking at some humpty day in, day out. AND they've scouted you! They want you!!👍

• Heart

I'd spoken to a recruiter about something similar. They said that post-Covid recruitment has changed and employees are less likely to stay in roles they're unhappy in/aren't what they want to do etc. Go for it! Best of luck 🤞

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.