Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time? #5

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I need to rant about a low workload! I love my job when I actually have tasks but half the time I have nothing to do. I ask constantly if I can help people and there’s normally a “oh all my stuff is complicated” answer. I’ve raised it with my bosses too and don’t get far. When I WFH I have so little to do and I feel bad about it!
It's not fun not having stuff to do. As you say it feels bad because you're not being useful and the time really drags too. I would suggest trying to get out of a job like that, use the time to learn something new or brush up your CV.

Reactions: 5
It's not fun not having stuff to do. As you say it feels bad because you're not being useful and the time really drags too. I would suggest trying to get out of a job like that, use the time to learn something new or brush up your CV.
It's a horrible feeling, I agree. Had the experience once while there was a restructure going on and it was awful.

It's a horrible feeling, I agree. Had the experience once while there was a restructure going on and it was awful.
Yeah I've had that before when I was pulled out of my team into a project team, but the project hadn't started so there was nothing to do.
It can be really demoralising because you're not learning new skills, and with remote work you'll have less contact with people during the day.
I'd say look for another job which is actually enjoyable.

Reactions: 4
I need to rant about a low workload! I love my job when I actually have tasks but half the time I have nothing to do. I ask constantly if I can help people and there’s normally a “oh all my stuff is complicated” answer. I’ve raised it with my bosses too and don’t get far. When I WFH I have so little to do and I feel bad about it!
I had that when I first started in my role. My colleagues were too busy to show me anything and they hadn't had time to sort out any form of induction plan. Actually transpired that they weren't too busy, more like they didn’t have a clue about anything. Now I'm overloaded with work because they're sh*tting themselves because I'm going on mat leave early next year 😂

Reactions: 3
Yeah, I had that in a previous role and it’s soul destroying. I ended up deleting my spreadsheets every month just to give myself something to do in creating them again. I kept asking my manager for more work but she was one of those who can’t delegate anything so she’d just go ‘oh, it’s easier to do it myself than show you how’.

I had that when I first started in my role. My colleagues were too busy to show me anything and they hadn't had time to sort out any form of induction plan. Actually transpired that they weren't too busy, more like they didn’t have a clue about anything. Now I'm overloaded with work because they're sh*tting themselves because I'm going on mat leave early next year 😂
Ah I can relate to this... New job, haven't been shown anything. But when I look for the info needed there's nothing in the sharepoint files and no one knows the answer to basic questions (like 'what's the budget for this'). Think it's becoming apparent that I haven't been shown anything because there are no processes, there is no information and no one has a clue!

• Wow
Woman who takes between three and six weeks to read and respond to my emails sends me one today and says the task needs to be done ASAP.
That's some nerve!

• Haha
Reactions: 10
We’ve got a recent managerial hire and he is so combative 😩 he drones on all the time (like my LM), swears a lot and is trying to make a name for himself. He comes out with some gobshite stuff and has told me point blank he likes workplace psychology i.e. playing games. Public speaking isn’t my strong point but I hate how these fuckers think boring people to the point of tears is way more preferable.

We’ve got a recent managerial hire and he is so combative 😩 he drones on all the time (like my LM), swears a lot and is trying to make a name for himself. He comes out with some gobshite stuff and has told me point blank he likes workplace psychology i.e. playing games. Public speaking isn’t my strong point but I hate how these fuckers think boring people to the point of tears is way more preferable.
What a knob - bet he's read some pop psychology book and now thinks he can manipulate people. But sounds like he's literally doing the opposite of 'winning friends and influencing people'.

Yeah, I had that in a previous role and it’s soul destroying. I ended up deleting my spreadsheets every month just to give myself something to do in creating them again. I kept asking my manager for more work but she was one of those who can’t delegate anything so she’d just go ‘oh, it’s easier to do it myself than show you how’.

I had six months of that once. We were a team of three shadowing a team on the client's side. They would always do 90% of the work and we would be bored stupid just browsing the internet all day. As it was 1999, there wasn't much internet to be browsing either.

Eventually, I was seconded to the client side and got the rudest awakening of my life when I saw how much work was required from me. At least I learned loads of new skills that stood me in good stead afterwards.

Reactions: 2
I've had this! Luckily I've been moved in to another team that need my help.
Ironic that the week before leaving my old team asked for help with a project and i couldn't help them with it because they haven't trained me up on the project even though i was asking weekly for stuff to do!

Reactions: 1
What a knob - bet he's read some pop psychology book and now thinks he can manipulate people. But sounds like he's literally doing the opposite of 'winning friends and influencing people'.
Totally! I hate encountering these types, like life is too short for this nonsense. He’s said some horrible stuff and really shouldn’t be judging people because he looks like Humpty Dumpty. I know I just need to ignore him but my manager let a past coworker’s bad behaviour go unchecked so I’m still keeping an eye on the market so I have an escape plan.

Totally! I hate encountering these types, like life is too short for this nonsense. He’s said some horrible stuff and really shouldn’t be judging people because he looks like Humpty Dumpty. I know I just need to ignore him but my manager let a past coworker’s bad behaviour go unchecked so I’m still keeping an eye on the market so I have an escape plan.
Looks like humpty dumpty :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

When people who are clearly in a rush send emails that either make no sense or lack detail.

I know everyone's busy and replying to emails can be a pain in the arse, but if they don't reply to what's been asked you have to go back to them to clarify. It just uses more of your and their time in the long run.

Reactions: 6
When people who are clearly in a rush send emails that either make no sense or lack detail.

I know everyone's busy and replying to emails can be a pain in the arse, but if they don't reply to what's been asked you just have to go back to them to clarify. It just uses more of your and their time in the long run.
Sometimes it’s a power thing. They like people dancing to their tune.

People who ask for things on ridiculously tight deadlines because they're too disorganised to tell you sooner.

"Can you mock up this email, create these landing pages, add this to the website and draft follow up texts to send this afternoon?" Sent at 11am.

Err no. It has been sitting in your inbox for a week so clearly it isn't as urgent as you're saying it is. If you wanted it done by today you should have given it to me sooner.

Reactions: 10
People who ask for things on ridiculously tight deadlines because they're too disorganised to tell you sooner.

"Can you mock up this email, create these landing pages, add this to the website and draft follow up texts to send this afternoon?" Sent at 11am.

Err no. It has been sitting in your inbox for a week so clearly it isn't as urgent as you're saying it is. If you wanted it done by today you should have given it to me sooner.
Some genius sent me an urgent email on Christmas Eve one time, something she needed signed off, then she promptly legged it out the door before I had even a chance to reply. 🤷‍♀️

Must not have been THAT urgent all the same... And I wasn't the person who did the sign offs anyway.

• Wow
Some genius sent me an urgent email on Christmas Eve one time, something she needed signed off, then she promptly legged it out the door before I had even a chance to reply. 🤷‍♀️

Must not have been THAT urgent all the same... And I wasn't the person who did the sign offs anyway.
It is just people being disorganised or forgetting. It sounds like she dumped the responsibility on your lap to cover up her own disorganisation. Did you have to forward it on to someone or did you just reply and say "sorry, I don't deal with sign offs." 😅

It is just people being disorganised or forgetting. It sounds like she dumped the responsibility on your lap to cover up her own disorganisation. Did you have to forward it on to someone or did you just reply and say "sorry, I don't deal with sign offs." 😅
I think it was a case of, now it's gone off my desk and it's your problem. The person it should have gone to was on annual leave. I think I forwarded it and cc'd the dumper and discovered she was gone too 😁.

Reactions: 1
Me again.

When someone asks me a question over Teams chat when my status is clearly "offline". And it's well after my sign out time. How exactly do they think I'm going to answer their question when I'm not even online?
i was on leave 2 weeks ago, set my out of office and it clearly displays on Teams im OOO, came back to hords of questions asking the most basic things, id even put in my ststus who to contact

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.