Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time? #5

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Me again.

When someone asks me a question over Teams chat when my status is clearly "offline". And it's well after my sign out time. How exactly do they think I'm going to answer their question when I'm not even online?
Maybe they hope you'll answer when you're in next?

Reactions: 1
Most of the time it's a question they want an answer to right away. If it's something that can wait they could just email me.
On this one though, what’s the difference between an email sitting there waiting for an answer or a teams message?

Reactions: 2
where I work there are certain people that are allowed to turn up late for their shift, or not turn up at all, nothing is said.

• Wow
Reactions: 4
where I work there are certain people that are allowed to turn up late for their shift, or not turn up at all, nothing is said.

Sometimes there are very good reasons for that - such as reasonable adjustments for disability where they've had medical appointment time approved (and nobody is required to share that with anyone else).

Out of the blue Teams phone calls when the query could easily have been put in an email! I have one colleague who does this almost daily and it drives me insane.

Her attitude is ‘I like to talk to people and get a quick answer’ but I find her approach intrusive and actually, disrespectful...which is possibly a little dramatic of me. But more often than not, I’m in the middle of a task. Why does her task take priority and urgency over mine? It wouldn’t be so bad if it was a 2 minute question and answer but she always wants to have a long chat as well, never picking up the hints of ‘well, I better get back to my project’ etc. Her ‘quick query’ drags on for half an hour.

It’s strange because interruptions in the office were expected, albeit annoying. Since WFH it seems more courteous to send someone a quick message asking when they’re free to discuss the matter (or booking in a meeting if it’s going to take more than 15 minutes).

Reactions: 12
Sometimes there are very good reasons for that - such as reasonable adjustments for disability where they've had medical appointment time approved (and nobody is required to share that with anyone else).
no its cos he smokes weed and couldnt be bothered to come in

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Out of the blue Teams phone calls when the query could easily have been put in an email! I have one colleague who does this almost daily and it drives me insane.

Her attitude is ‘I like to talk to people and get a quick answer’ but I find her approach intrusive and actually, disrespectful...which is possibly a little dramatic of me. But more often than not, I’m in the middle of a task. Why does her task take priority and urgency over mine? It wouldn’t be so bad if it was a 2 minute question and answer but she always wants to have a long chat as well, never picking up the hints of ‘well, I better get back to my project’ etc. Her ‘quick query’ drags on for half an hour.

It’s strange because interruptions in the office were expected, albeit annoying. Since WFH it seems more courteous to send someone a quick message asking when they’re free to discuss the matter (or booking in a meeting if it’s going to take more than 15 minutes).
Yeah that's really bad wfh etiquette to cold call someone. They should message asking if you're free and leave time for a reply.
I have 1 colleague who messages 'are you free for a call?' and then immediately calls :cautious:

• Heart
Reactions: 3
On this one though, what’s the difference between an email sitting there waiting for an answer or a teams message?
I use Teams when I need an answer right away. If it's not an immediate need I send an email. Most of the time when someone Teams messages me they think I'm going to answer within a minute or two. I've even had some of them send several more messages asking if I'm there. Well, when my status is "offline" I would think it would be obvious I'm not there. Or the next day they say "I Teams messaged you but you didn't answer". Yes, because I went home for the day two hours before you messaged me.

Reactions: 3
I hate the introduction of Teams since covid. I’m available for face to face meetings, on my mobile, on the office phone, and on email. Why must there be ANOTHER way for all the same people to contact me. When someone rings me on teams I answer it on my mobile. Unless it’s a planned Teams meeting call with camera. And I rarely check my messenger on there. Email or ring me.

• Haha
Reactions: 11
I hate the introduction of Teams since covid. I’m available for face to face meetings, on my mobile, on the office phone, and on email. Why must there be ANOTHER way for all the same people to contact me. When someone rings me on teams I answer it on my mobile. Unless it’s a planned Teams meeting call with camera. And I rarely check my messenger on there. Email or ring me.
Teams is just a way better option for working remotely imo. You can't really share your screen to show something to the other person over the phone.

Reactions: 6
I hate the way teams has become another inbox so now I have 2 to manage. Teams should be calls, meetings, quick chat about lunch cover 🤣 or quick questions. Not another to do list.

Reactions: 11
Teams is just a way better option for working remotely imo. You can't really share your screen to show something to the other person over the phone.
Yeah, but that's a problem when your mate from IT is in your office when the Office twit phones through and you're doing your damndest not to tell them to duck off and said mate keeps sending you emails with assorted memes and gifs to distract you as OT is ranting away/being particularly stupid.

There are genuinely people like that who want to do Teams rather than walk 40 metres.

Yeah, but that's a problem when your mate from IT is in your office when the Office twit phones through and you're doing your damndest not to tell them to duck off and said mate keeps sending you emails with assorted memes and gifs to distract you as OT is ranting away/being particularly stupid.

There are genuinely people like that who want to do Teams rather than walk 40 metres.
One of my coworkers is the opposite. He'll send me something via email and I'll Teams message him just to confirm it's ready to submit (because he'll sometimes send me a preliminary draft that shouldn't be submitted but he doesn't always indicate if what he sent me is a draft or Final). And he'll walk over to my office to say "Yes, please submit it". I don't mind, it's just funny.

• Haha
People who eat all the bleeping times. Especially those with clacky mouths or who like to open their gobs so you can see the chewed up food.

• Sick
Reactions: 10
So person who refused to do her job on my team is moving to another team. Ok then. She has been utterly useless and actually verbally abused a team mate and our boss. And she gets a bit of a bump up because of it. I feel like Im wasting my time actually doing my job properly and being professional when all I needed to do was be a nightmare.
Have to focus on fact she will be moving away from me so I will have little to no contact with her anymore.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
bleeping up excel spreadsheets 😤

We have several that are used by a lot of people.
I just went to use one and a whole years work has disappeared. Normally I would be sitting here fuming about it but I'm so over this crap now. Sent a email out to everyone asking who the culprit was and asking them to put right 😄

• Heart
I need to rant about a low workload! I love my job when I actually have tasks but half the time I have nothing to do. I ask constantly if I can help people and there’s normally a “oh all my stuff is complicated” answer. I’ve raised it with my bosses too and don’t get far. When I WFH I have so little to do and I feel bad about it!

• Wow
Reactions: 8
Someone has sent an email to a colleague and got her out of office message saying she's out and back tomorrow, but she's still sent it to me asking if I can take a look.

As far as I can tell it's not urgent and she sent it at 3:30pm. She can wait till my colleague is back tomorrow, bugger off. 😂
---
I need to rant about a low workload! I love my job when I actually have tasks but half the time I have nothing to do. I ask constantly if I can help people and there’s normally a “oh all my stuff is complicated” answer. I’ve raised it with my bosses too and don’t get far. When I WFH I have so little to do and I feel bad about it!
I actually syampthise with this. I've only had it once in my career and it was awful. Most people think not having enough work to do is stress free, but I hated it because I felt useless and the days dragged by.

It was a few years ago when I'd moved to a new role and my new boss set a training plan. Some days had one activity on it and I was often finished by 10am. So I'd ask her what else she wanted me to do and she said "oh there's nothing really, just read X website". I wanted to say "What? For 6 - 7 hours??"

I’ve had a week off, back tomorrow and this week is busy with Christmas party, wfh days etc. Never ask people to help me but thought I would ask a girl I manage to print some prize vouchers for the party for me to save some time. It had very clear step by step instructions and she could have called to ask if in any doubt plus had a whole day to ask me in person and she still managed to completely duck it up. Also dreading having to hear the ungrateful people complain about not winning something at the free and inc party we are having 🙄

• Wow
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.