Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time? #5

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
... Plus, feel free to post things about your job that you loathe, or which annoy you .. anything you'd like to get off your chest :)

Reactions: 8
I thought I’d start on a positive and the woman who has annoyed me for the last nearly decade by refusing to learn how to do her job and relying on everyone else to do it for her is finally leaving!! I think our new manager got rid of her by taking all the stuff she enjoyed off her and then making her do the basic admin (which she still couldn’t do because she literally cannot multitask). She is now off to a new team who I don’t envy one bit!

• Heart
Reactions: 24
I'm at a new contract which is going well - mostly because I know the majority of the staff who are great sorts, and the work is something I love doing. I'm once again looking forward to going to work, which is great.

The problem is, there is a really negative woman who walks around with a face like thunder and seems to have me in her sights. She told me on my first day that I was too smiley for her liking - which I interpreted as a joke - but it obviously wasn't, as she's been trying to make things difficult ever since. Unfortunately she's one of my project sponsors so I can't ignore her; despite my having many years of project management experience under my belt, she picks fault with everything.

Today, she came over to tell me off for entering my project status bubbles in colour (red, orange or green, depending what the status is). The report doesn't need to be printed (and she confirmed that's not her intention), so her complaint was silly. I asked what she would prefer - she said actual words instead of bubbles - e.g., GREEN. And then she asked if my background is as a kindy teacher because I seem to be targeting that sort of audience with my pretty 'pictures'. FFS ... everyone uses coloured bubbles in project reports and this is not her first rodeo has a sponsor so I'm sure she's seen them all before! Actually, I know she's seen them all before because I had a look at some of her other projects and they all have them. I'm using the template this company uses to generate my reports, which is pretty much bog standard everywhere.

I had a chat with one of the other PMs about it and she said I must've done something to annoy her. But I honestly don't think that's the case - I think she's just taken an immense disliking to me on first sight. I'm too old and cranky to deal with this :cry: If I thought it would make any difference I'd ask her out for coffee and try and win her 'round but I have a feeling that'll make things worse.

Any advice? 😇

• Sad
Reactions: 10
I'm at a new contract which is going well - mostly because I know the majority of the staff who are great sorts, and the work is something I love doing. I'm once again looking forward to going to work, which is great.

The problem is, there is a really negative woman who walks around with a face like thunder and seems to have me in her sights. She told me on my first day that I was too smiley for her liking - which I interpreted as a joke - but it obviously wasn't, as she's been trying to make things difficult ever since. Unfortunately she's one of my project sponsors so I can't ignore her; despite my having many years of project management experience under my belt, she picks fault with everything.

Today, she came over to tell me off for entering my project status bubbles in colour (red, orange or green, depending what the status is). The report doesn't need to be printed (and she confirmed that's not her intention), so her complaint was silly. I asked what she would prefer - she said actual words instead of bubbles - e.g., GREEN. And then she asked if my background is as a kindy teacher because I seem to be targeting that sort of audience with my pretty 'pictures'. FFS ... everyone uses coloured bubbles in project reports and this is not her first rodeo has a sponsor so I'm sure she's seen them all before! Actually, I know she's seen them all before because I had a look at some of her other projects and they all have them. I'm using the template this company uses to generate my reports, which is pretty much bog standard everywhere.

I had a chat with one of the other PMs about it and she said I must've done something to annoy her. But I honestly don't think that's the case - I think she's just taken an immense disliking to me on first sight. I'm too old and cranky to deal with this :cry: If I thought it would make any difference I'd ask her out for coffee and try and win her 'round but I have a feeling that'll make things worse.

Any advice? 😇
Why are people like this?! Sounds like she wastes far too much energy on this when she should jut try do her job with as minimal stress as possible.

Reactions: 11
Sometimes we get discontinued stock or end of line stock put in our canteen for us to take home only problem is the same few people grab it all and the rest of us miss out

• Sad
Reactions: 12
Sometimes we get discontinued stock or end of line stock put in our canteen for us to take home only problem is the same few people grab it all and the rest of us miss out
We get fruit delivered every week and without fail 3 people will leave the kitchen with handfulls on day 1 so nothing left for anyone else.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 15
We get fruit delivered every week and without fail 3 people will leave the kitchen with handfulls on day 1 so nothing left for anyone else.
San pro used to be freely available in the toilets until someone started stealing everything out of every cubicle as soon as it was topped up (and it was very generously topped up so people were just being selfish). Now you have to go to HR if you need free san pro.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 7
I’m doing some extra work which is using an online system that every so often locks you out; whenever it happens you have to contact the team leader for them to unlock you. I was locked out late last night and my team leader messaged this morning stating he’s aware of it and would unlock me ‘soon.’ This was at half 6 in the morning and I’ve still not been unlocked which means I’ve missed out on a potential full day of working whilst my kid is at nursery. The team leader is a bit…odd for want of a better word and I don’t want to feel like I’m bugging him by messaging him again but at the same time he clearly went onto the system this morning to see I was locked out and chose not to unlock me there and then for some reason?! So frustrating because if he unlocks me tonight it means I’m going to have to stay up late AGAIN to get the work done.

• Sad
Reactions: 1

Any advice? 😇

Not only does colour coordinating help even the average NT person differentiate between different levels of information and their urgency (like RAG ratings), but it is also extremely helpful for those with learning differences. In fact it is very commonly used for those with Autism and ADHD to help them organise. In short, your colleague is ostracizing those with learning differences because she fancies being a picky wee cow about things.

And you are absolutely right, everyone uses colours against RAG. If a Red status item was missed because it wasn't clearly colour coordinated to be flagged then it could have pretty big consequences to the project. I would absolutely follow up her feedback with an email saying "As instructed I will no longer colour coordinate XYZ as you feel this is a better way to present this documentation" and CC in your line manager or a project lead.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Does anyone else ever feel like they're drowning in work emails? On Friday afternoon I was in a good mood because I'd reviewed my emails and only had a handful that I needed to progress.

However, because I've been in a few meetings today and haven't had chance to read that many emails, I've now got 42 unread. I really wish colleagues would ask themselves if they really need to email something. It's such a massive waste of time.

Sometimes I could honestly spend all my working day reading and replying to emails and not run out.

Not only does colour coordinating help even the average NT person differentiate between different levels of information and their urgency (like RAG ratings), but it is also extremely helpful for those with learning differences. In fact it is very commonly used for those with Autism and ADHD to help them organise. In short, your colleague is ostracizing those with learning differences because she fancies being a picky wee cow about things.

And you are absolutely right, everyone uses colours against RAG. If a Red status item was missed because it wasn't clearly colour coordinated to be flagged then it could have pretty big consequences to the project. I would absolutely follow up her feedback with an email saying "As instructed I will no longer colour coordinate XYZ as you feel this is a better way to present this documentation" and CC in your line manager or a project lead.
My old boss like BRAG reporting…Brown..it’s about the hit the fan

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Does anyone else ever feel like they're drowning in work emails? On Friday afternoon I was in a good mood because I'd reviewed my emails and only had a handful that I needed to progress.

However, because I've been in a few meetings today and haven't had chance to read that many emails, I've now got 42 unread. I really wish colleagues would ask themselves if they really need to email something. It's such a massive waste of time.

Sometimes I could honestly spend all my working day reading and replying to emails and not run out.
Yes. And it stresses me out when I have to scroll down the screen to see more. I like to action then delete.
There's a bloke at work that will email a query to our team email which we all get and then copy us individually into it. Whyyyyy!

Reactions: 3
I was moved off my problematic project this morning - I'd like to say I manifested that - ha! 😉

The reason for the move is, I need to fix a really messy project with a challenging client who I happen to have a great relationship with through a local business networking group. The PM who was managing it works part-time and can't put in any extra time to get it back on track. So, they'll go and pick up some 'rats and mice' projects instead (which they're happy about). As much I was enjoying my other project, it was very easy and will be a great starting point for a junior PM, which I've been tasked to bring on and mentor.

Mrs Difficult came rushing over to me this morning when it was announced, saying she hoped the move wasn't due to her ... 😁

All is well in my world again 🙏

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Colleagues who accost you as you're leaving the office - with your coat on and laptop shutdown - to ask you some asinine question that could have been an email or IM and is most certainly not urgent enough for me to hang around to shoot the breeze on. Some peoole have ZERO self awareness.

• Haha
Reactions: 20
People who are given a free pass because they are supposedly charmingly chaotic; you know just announce how disorganised you are and then you can get away with turning up to meetings last, not reading reports, being incapable of taking notes. :(

Reactions: 25
Colleagues who accost you as you're leaving the office - with your coat on and laptop shutdown - to ask you some asinine question that could have been an email or IM and is most certainly not urgent enough for me to hang around to shoot the breeze on. Some peoole have ZERO self awareness.
I always got that on the way in at my last job. I have my laptop bag, lunch bag and keys in my hands and I'm literally two feet from the front door that I just walked through and they're asking me for stuff or if I got their email. Um, can I put my lunch away first? Or even better, following me into the bathroom or waiting for me outside. Uber creepy and invasive.

• Wow
Reactions: 9
DA Stella's mention of bathroom reminded me of something...

I worked at a place a few years back that had an absolute power tripper of an office manager. If she wanted to speak to someone (/read them the riot act about something), she'd hunt them down ... Including to the bathroom (which was unisex). She'd take delight in asking them how long they thought they might be, and what they were doing exactly 😂

I just looked her up, curious as to where she is now ... She's a paramedic! OMG, her poor patients.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 6
Say they want to do an activity. Ask me
To research and book said activity. I do all the leg work, book the activity (this weeks example is volunteering on a farm), sort all the payments, find a venue for drinks and food after. Half the team pull out days before the activity is due to take place.

• Sad
Reactions: 10
Got an annoying colleague that loves the sound of her own voice and sight of her own face. Posts selfies on the work group chat, posts cryptic messages fishing for attention "what a day it's been, deserve this drink" *posts pensive selfie of holding a wine* :cautious: ffs

She's also the type that posts quotes on Facebook such as "you know who you're real friends are" set on a stock photo of a silhouette staring into the distance. With obligatory comments saying "you ok hun?? Xxxx"

But the worst thing is how sickly sweet she treats everyone at work like they're her best friend, and everyone loves her, yet she witches about them all to me when they're not around. I've no doubt she does the same to me with them.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.