Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time? #5

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
A colleague of mine wears Angel or Alien by Thierry Mugler every day - not sure which of the two, I just know it's sooo strong. She's just come in and probably doused herself in it again because I can really smell it. It's making me feel a bit sick - definitely one for evenings and NOT early mornings in the office 😅

Strong perfume/aftershave should be banned in the office IMO.
A former colleague used to wear Cloud by Ariana Grande and re-spray it a few times a day AT THE DESK. Can't stand that scent, smells medicinal to me. And bad office etiquette to spray it on the open plan floor, go to the loo for that.

Reactions: 4
A colleague of mine wears Angel or Alien by Thierry Mugler every day - not sure which of the two, I just know it's sooo strong. She's just come in and probably doused herself in it again because I can really smell it. It's making me feel a bit sick - definitely one for evenings and NOT early mornings in the office 😅

Years ago, somebody I worked with was 'having a meeting' with her boyfriend in the CEO's office out of hours when her bag fell off the desk and 100ml of Clinique Happy Eau de Parfum (yep, the strongest version) smashed and soaked into the shag pile.

You could smell it along a corridor, two floors down and then down another flight of stairs to the door that led to the car park for months.

In the end, they went to lift the carpet and found they had to replace the parquet flooring underneath. And you could still smell it.

I swear tit like that is what leads to stories of ghosts 100s of years later.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 15
When you tell them you need five pieces of information in order to complete a task and they give you only one of them. And then come back a day later asking if it's finished 🙄

Reactions: 6
When you tell them you need five pieces of information in order to complete a task and they give you only one of them. And then come back a day later asking if it's finished 🙄

Better still, instruct you to do x by the end of the day 'stuff is attached'.

Actually read the 'stuff' (as they haven't) and realise it is literally impossible to do x without y, which isn't included (like 'Phone the client by 3pm today' but not only is there no telephone number, there's no email or name in the attachment). Reply straight back to say y isn't included. Radio silence.

Next thing you know, you're in receipt of a bollocking email from the PA demanding to know why you have disobeyed 'direct instruction's' (yes, that is the plural of instruction, but with a bleeping apostrophe as though they're in lower set Y8 English), all and sundry copied in.

Better still, instruct you to do x by the end of the day 'stuff is attached'.

Actually read the 'stuff' (as they haven't) and realise it is literally impossible to do x without y, which isn't included (like 'Phone the client by 3pm today' but not only is there no telephone number, there's no email or name in the attachment). Reply straight back to say y isn't included. Radio silence.

Next thing you know, you're in receipt of a bollocking email from the PA demanding to know why you have disobeyed 'direct instruction's' (yes, that is the plural of instruction, but with a bleeping apostrophe as though they're in lower set Y8 English), all and sundry copied in.
That’s why you need a read receipt! To prove they either did read your reply, or did but didn’t respond

Reactions: 1
That’s why you need a read receipt! To prove they either did read your reply, or did but didn’t respond
I once worked somewhere with this (you could click and see who'd read it) and it was ace - great for knowing when someone had read but not replied.

Reactions: 1
I respond and attach the pertinent emails ("please see attached email") so they can't pretend they didn't know. I get a lot of "oh, I didn't read that email" or my favorite, "But I get so many emails!" (in a whiny voice). Then don't blame me because you couldn't be assed to read my email responding to what YOU requested.

Reactions: 3
I hate hot desking. I’m lucky I work in a small office so we all pretty much have a desk. However every now and again the business admin in the head office try to tell us we should be hot-desking. Then they harp on about well-being. How do they not realise that having a settled space to work is contributory to good wellbeing
I worked for a company that made us go to work on a few Saturdays a year for “wellbeing “ and we had to host our fun activities 😵💫😵💫👀👀

how about just let us have our Saturday away from feom work !! That will contribute to my overall wellbeing

• Wow
Reactions: 13
I worked for a company that made us go to work on a few Saturdays a year for “wellbeing “ and we had to host our fun activities 😵💫😵💫👀👀

how about just let us have our Saturday away from feom work !! That will contribute to my overall wellbeing
Wtf if it wasn't in my contract as part of the job and fully paid, that would not be happening lol

Reactions: 8
My boss likes to bake… and I have to eat the experiments… and enjoy it
I'm quite lucky at my workplace. One colleague is a cleaning fanatic so our kitchen is always spotless. I have my own desk and I can leave my laptop there overnight. Our fridge is clean and no-one steals your food. No-one ever eats half a doughnut! (The very idea 🤣🤣🤣)
But ....one lovely colleague is a keen cook/baker, and now that her kids have all left home, she brings endless quiches, pies, cakes and tarts to work for us to share. Which is a wonderful gesture, especially in times like these where we're all trying to keep our lunch costs down. But she can't cook, her food is dreadful. Tasteless, bland, greasy, over or underbaked, it's almost always borderline inedible. But we have to take it and eat it, with delighted and grateful grins on our faces 😬. I feel mean just typing this out, she's such a lovely woman. But lately, we're all either "on a diet", or "experimenting with veganism" just to avoid eating her stuff. 😭😭😭

• Haha
Reactions: 15
I keep in touch with ex colleagues, and one just told me that my old team had a mandatory meeting about 'psychological safety and feeling able to speak up to give your opinion'.

This was led by the bullying boss - who recently terminated a day rate contractor with a weeks notice because the contractor said the way a process was done could be done in a better way! This boss can't do that to employees, so instead he's 'redeployed' a few to other teams when they disagreed with him. The reason people disagree with the boss is because he has wacky, un-practical ideas about how to do things.

The whole point of the session was to tell them they MUST tick the box on the staff survey saying 'I feel able to raise concerns to my manager'.

These leadership types love talking the talk but then doing the exact opposite.

Reactions: 4
People who use the "but I have KIDS!!" excuse to get special treatment. Like not having to come into the office to work when everyone else has to. So those who either are child free or who have adult children who don't live with them (me) are just SOL?

• Heart
Reactions: 13
People who use the "but I have KIDS!!" excuse to get special treatment. Like not having to come into the office to work when everyone else has to. So those who either are child free or who have adult children who don't live with them (me) are just SOL?
My team is only allowed a couple of people off on annual leave on any given day, and I have a couple of colleagues who are 55+ and have grandchildren who still use this as an excuse to have first dibs on leave for days in the school holidays etc. The rest of us have to grin and bear it, when I'm actually married to a teacher and would like to be able to spend time with my wife/go on holiday with her without having to plead my case as to why I deserve those days off more than someone else just because KIDS.

Reactions: 7
Yeah, I have more than one colleague that doesn’t get a lot of work done or doesn’t produce work to a high standard because they’ve got kids at home when they’re working, then they moan they don’t get put on new projects or get asked to get involved with other things. My birthday is in a school holiday too so I struggle to get it off. Hate the assumption that I’m happy to work all over Christmas as well because I don’t have kids. I do still have a family!

Reactions: 14
Last week a colleague of mine was told by his manager to improve his written communication, particularly in emails to external clients. He was either being too informal or not proofreading, hence missing typos. Not a good look to a customer that we service. They told them in a nice way, but the message was pretty clear.

He took it on board and is now sending incredibly formal messages and I can't work out if he had the ability to write correctly all along and is now taking the piss, or if he's running his emails through a grammar checker and is taking all its suggestions on board.

An example would be he'd start emails saying things like "hiya, hope youre ok!" to "Dear X, I do hope all is well at your end". It's just such a marked difference and he now sounds unnatural. If I didn't know him, I'd think he was taking the mick, but he honestly doesn't seem the type to do that. I may be wrong, though.
---
My team is only allowed a couple of people off on annual leave on any given day, and I have a couple of colleagues who are 55+ and have grandchildren who still use this as an excuse to have first dibs on leave for days in the school holidays etc. The rest of us have to grin and bear it, when I'm actually married to a teacher and would like to be able to spend time with my wife/go on holiday with her without having to plead my case as to why I deserve those days off more than someone else just because KIDS.
I had a scenario like this at work at a previous employer and luckily there were as many childless staff as those with children, so a few of the more outspoken ones brought it up, which gave the rest of us the courage to join in. It came to a head when we all wanted time off around Christmas and those with children/grandchildren said they thought they should be first in line solely due to that reason.

Just because I don't have children doesn't mean I don't like Christmas. I spend it with my family - and my sister and brother both have children! In the end, they had to make it so we all had to work at least 1 of the days between Christmas and new year; no one was allowed the whole time off. Those with children/grandchildren were sore about it for ages after! Luckily I don't work at that place anymore.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9

I agree with this.
However I was coming on here to say - people that smell of BO continuously. I had to go and sit with 2 colleagues yesterday and the smell almost knocked me over. It was sooo bad, and as I'm typing this another colleague is hotdesking behind me and I'm literally holding my breath due to the stench. I know some people can have medical conditions, I try to be understanding but it's something I just can't tolerate. I'm not talking about a little smell as well, I'm talking FULL ON eye wateringly bad. I would be grateful for Angel or Alien right now 🤣

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 9
I agree with this.
However I was coming on here to say - people that smell of BO continuously. I had to go and sit with 2 colleagues yesterday and the smell almost knocked me over. It was sooo bad, and as I'm typing this another colleague is hotdesking behind me and I'm literally holding my breath due to the stench. I know some people can have medical conditions, I try to be understanding but it's something I just can't tolerate. I'm not talking about a little smell as well, I'm talking FULL ON eye wateringly bad. I would be grateful for Angel or Alien right now 🤣
Their manager should have a quiet word, as that's not on. Why is anyone sweating so badly when it's freezing at the moment? (Assuming you're in the UK!)

I know what you mean, though. A colleague of mine is a bit like that. It's strange because he's a good looking guy who takes care of his appearance in pretty much every way and he doesn't look unclean, but sometimes he has a bit of BO. It's not like he stinks the place out, but if you're sat next to him, you can sometimes smell it. I can only assume he doesn't use deodorant, but why? 😂

• Haha
I've been having issues with another team for months. Their work feeds into mine and it is constantly wrong. I am having to fix it. They are saying it is system issues causing it and blaming everyone bar themselves. I am not talking about little mistakes but massive mistakes. It has been escalated numerous times and I have summarised the issues for various calls so many times at this stage. Nothing changes. This month I had to work really late because of it.

The manager came back with some weak excuses. What annoyed me is that she said I hadnt provided her with x, y and z. I have emails showing I gave her all this multiple times and i attached a few of them to my response. It has been radio silence since. My managers manager is meant to speak to this womans manager but he is someone who wants to be best friends with everyone and resolves nothing. The only thing he wants is a promotion so he doesnt want to rock the boat and it is so frustrating. He is useless. I IM'ed him today saying let me know if you need more info before you speak to her and he said "all good" when he hasnt a clue.

• Wow
Reactions: 2
Me again.

When someone asks me a question over Teams chat when my status is clearly "offline". And it's well after my sign out time. How exactly do they think I'm going to answer their question when I'm not even online?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.