Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time? #5

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This is why i only bring food that doesn’t need any preparation, that can just chill in my cool bag under my desk. The communal fridge stinks, has mouldy half open packets and tubs in it, the sink is disgusting, the once-yellow sponge is grey and is never dry, the communal coffee jars clearly had wet spoons in them at one point as coffee smears are on the inside of the jar. The only things I use are the recycling bin/refuse bins, and the hot boiling water zip tap to make my coffee. I use my own spoon, and bring my own little portion of milk for the day. Yes it’s a faff but it’s how I avoid all the grot.
Do you work where I work? Honestly someone should get our office sponges to join the union, they’ve been there so long that they should be signed up to the pension scheme.

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Our breakroom is spotless. Clean cutlery and ware, and plenty of hot water.

We get a large fresh fruit delivery every week, we have a milk and tea bags kitty as well.

The only thing letting the side down is the Nespresso machine which is rank but I've never seen anyone use it as we have a load of coffee places and food outlets within a short distance of the office.

Our office manager would murder anyone who doesn't wash up after themselves, and quite right too. Anyone leaving mouldy food in the fridge wouldn't last 10 minutes if she caught them.

I usually don't bother bringing anything and just raid the fresh fruit.
Are you recruiting??? Lol

• Haha
Reactions: 7
i work in an institute and in my small office is me and 2 other group members. for as long as i remember i have had misophonia where certain sounds fill me with absolute rage which i realise is definitely a me problem but please indulge my rant. one coworker chews nicorette gum 24/7 - the only time he hasn’t got it in his mouth is eating lunch, which i often have to leave the room for because he eats the most crunchy food ever and it’s honestly painful to me. but the sound of the swirling saliva with the gum chewing, all day every day, makes me go insane.

to make things worse, the other group member has insane heavy breathing - through her nose it’s just sooo deep and loud, like if you weren’t looking at her you would think she was asleep i swear. so between both of these i am so noise overstimulated it drives me mad 😂 some of the time it’s ok for me to sit with my headphones on which are a godsend but it’s not always appropriate, and we definitely can’t play any radio or anything. it’s a lab-based role so i tend to try and spend as much time in lab as possible to get away from it 😂

Both of those things would really drive me mad.

I can't bear the sound of people eating. Or excessive crackling of packaging eg when eating crisps or sweets. I think 'just eat the f##king things and stop making noise with the packaging'. It's especially annoying when at a show, deadly silence at a really tense moment and next thing CRACKLE CRACKLE as they rummage at their sweets. 😡

I was at an event yesterday where we were standing listening to a speaker. The person next to me took regular long LOUD slurps at her mug of coffee. I couldn't move without distracting from the speaker so I had to grin and bear it.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaargh.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Colleagues making contact outside of work hours. My work phone pinged this morning at 08:41. Colleague asking me to send them something that they need for a 09:30 meeting tomorrow. I'm really strict about only working my contracted hours so I haven't answered

Received another message from same colleague at 10:16 about the same thing. I start at 10:00 tomorrow so it will be radio silence from me until then. I don't care if I sound mean its taking the piss contacting me on sunday morning plus they wouldn't dare contact the manager on a sunday. Respect for the manager but not for me.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 23
Colleagues making contact outside of work hours. My work phone pinged this morning at 08:41. Colleague asking me to send them something that they need for a 09:30 meeting tomorrow. I'm really strict about only working my contracted hours so I haven't answered

Received another message from same colleague at 10:16 about the same thing. I start at 10:00 tomorrow so it will be radio silence from me until then. I don't care if I sound mean its taking the piss contacting me on sunday morning plus they wouldn't dare contact the manager on a sunday. Respect for the manager but not for me.
You're absolutely right. And it's the only way that they will cop on not to do it in future.

Reactions: 11
Both of those things would really drive me mad.

I can't bear the sound of people eating. Or excessive crackling of packaging eg when eating crisps or sweets. I think 'just eat the f##king things and stop making noise with the packaging'. It's especially annoying when at a show, deadly silence at a really tense moment and next thing CRACKLE CRACKLE as they rummage at their sweets. 😡

I was at an event yesterday where we were standing listening to a speaker. The person next to me took regular long LOUD slurps at her mug of coffee. I couldn't move without distracting from the speaker so I had to grin and bear it.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaargh.
oh i totally relate to the packaging one too!! same for the cinema, i only go if i really want to see the film because usually the experience is ruined by people rustling constantly, so infuriating 😡

Reactions: 4
A long ago boss (business owner) used to call or page me (yes, a pager lol) during my off hours. I was an hourly worker so I started recording that time on my timecard. I informed him I had a two-hour minimum, so every time he contacted me at 6:00 am on Sunday morning he got billed for two hours. That put a stop to the calls and pages! Oh, and it was never anything urgent, mostly just "where is this invoice or that order" type stuff that wasn't going to go out on a Sunday anyway

Reactions: 9
I had to go back to in office currently begging to wfh as office life is outdated and iv no work life balance anymore.
Met my partner for lunch but the food didn't come on time and I had to run back to the office while he waited at the restaurant, bagged up the food to go instead and brought it to me. I usually don't eat hot food in work as I don't like eating in front of people and I am concious of the smells.
But I was starving by this point and had to have my lunch.
The same ones that eat what I had, except they have it everyday started complaining about the smell, but they eat it every single shift so thought that was cheeky.
Lesson learned won't do that again just guna wait until I go home for food. We don't have a canteen and are forced to eat at our desks so its pretty uncomfortable.
The office is really unhygienic the desks are always filthy and we dont have assigned seats its pretty disgusting.
Have to listen to really childish men acting like 5 years making loads of noise all day and talking shite.
Funnily enough it hinders my job but apparently I have to come in as it benefits "the team".

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 2
Hot-desking is my peeve about working in the office these days. We have to carry our computer around with us to and from work which is a pain and unless you get in really early you can't get your chosen desk.
Nobody likes Hot-desking apart from accountants trying to save money.

Hot-desking is my peeve about working in the office these days. We have to carry our computer around with us to and from work which is a pain and unless you get in really early you can't get your chosen desk.
Agreed! I went from having a proper desk to hot desking and having to lug my stuff home and back to the office because I've nowhere secure to leave anything. Plus any snacks, tea, water bottle. It's such a pain to drag things back and forth

I hate hot desking. I’m lucky I work in a small office so we all pretty much have a desk. However every now and again the business admin in the head office try to tell us we should be hot-desking. Then they harp on about well-being. How do they not realise that having a settled space to work is contributory to good wellbeing

• Heart
I have a block booking for a desk on my "in office" days so saves the worry of not having somewhere to sit but have no storage in the office so have to lug all my junk about with me. My laptop alone weighs a ton. Wouldn't be so bad but I do Monday and Tuesdays in the office so would be nice to be able to leave my stuff overnight to save the hassle 🙄 Also takes a f**king age to get everything set up right, especially the stupid chair.

The one good thing about hotdesking, assuming you can sit anywhere, is you can avoid people. If you sat next to an annoying person during non hotdesking days, you were stuck with them. Now you can, with a bit of scheming and planning, avoid the fuckers.
---
I have a block booking for a desk on my "in office" days so saves the worry of not having somewhere to sit but have no storage in the office so have to lug all my junk about with me. My laptop alone weighs a ton. Wouldn't be so bad but I do Monday and Tuesdays in the office so would be nice to be able to leave my stuff overnight to save the hassle 🙄 Also takes a f**king age to get everything set up right, especially the stupid chair.
I thought that legally you had to have a lockable space.

I thought that legally you had to have a lockable space.
No idea 🤷‍♀️ Some people do have lockable drawers but there are more staff now than there are drawer units. I think they were looking at getting lockers but they're reserved for people that cycle in first so they can store spare clothes and towels and things 🙄 I'm waiting on hearing back from the hospital physio, kinda hoping they say I shouldn't go in, pregnancy induced movement complications. Wishful thinking on my part though.

Reactions: 1
No idea 🤷‍♀️ Some people do have lockable drawers but there are more staff now than there are drawer units. I think they were looking at getting lockers but they're reserved for people that cycle in first so they can store spare clothes and towels and things 🙄 I'm waiting on hearing back from the hospital physio, kinda hoping they say I shouldn't go in, pregnancy induced movement complications. Wishful thinking on my part though.
If you are pregnant you should not be lugging a laptop, etc. They could at least buy you a laptop bag on wheels, like one of those suitcases

Hot desking only works if you have a locker or something. The amount of times I've arrived at the office without a pen is annoying, as well as having all your stuff just on your desk (our desks don't have drawers) so I'm just sat amongst my lunch, gym bag, handbag, coat, wires all over the place, screens at the wrong height it's so annoying. And I only go in like 2x per month. I couldn't do it weekly.

Reactions: 3
Hot desking is awful. We have a number of offices, all set up differently, different needs etc & the one I’m in there is no need for hot desking at all due to our numbers, however the powers that be are trying to insist on it. It would be different if we needed it, but we don’t. We have more desks than people. This one for all approach to office set up is ridiculous.

It seems that the official line in my place is that we’re supposed to be doing three days a week in the office. Most of the people in my building all do one- including the senior managers- so I suppose it’s all about how long we can last now.

Reactions: 3
A colleague of mine wears Angel or Alien by Thierry Mugler every day - not sure which of the two, I just know it's sooo strong. She's just come in and probably doused herself in it again because I can really smell it. It's making me feel a bit sick - definitely one for evenings and NOT early mornings in the office 😅

Strong perfume/aftershave should be banned in the office IMO.

• Haha
Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.