Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time? #5

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It’s a power trip. I say be consistent- be personable, don’t be personable- just pick a side and we all know where we stand. If you are permanently grumpy we know to avoid looking at you. But don’t be grumpy and then occasionally be friendly. Stay in the lane you have chosen. The mood deviators like to keep us on out toes, it gives them a bit of pleasure in their sad lives.

I spend hours every day being consistently personable, helpful and friendly. And mentally composing email templates like this;

'Dear ________,

Thank you for your

i. call
ii. email
iii. collaring me in the corridor/car park/zebra crossing on the way to my bus stop in the pissing rain 97 minutes after I should have left for the day/door of a toilet cubicle and ranting at me for five minutes straight
iv. appearing in my office after I have finished my contracted hours to rant at me with no witnesses
v. all of the above because you can't see beyond your own wants and have zero impulse control

I will unfortunately not be able to perform this task because your email suggests that you are:

a. insane
b. a bit dim
c. both *** preselected response as it's always both ***

Your demands are unachievable because these aims would;

1. defy the fundamental structure of the universe,
2. require an ability to manipulate time and space in a manner consistent with being a Living God,
3. get us shut down instantly and on page 5 of the national rags by the following afternoon,
4. are actually incredibly illegal,
5. all of the above

We also suspect that even if we were to suddenly acquire an Infinity Gauntlet, we would still concentrate my efforts more towards the activities that actually ensure everybody has a salary at the end of the month and so that we are not working by candlelight and communicating via a combination of semaphore, yodelling and carrier pigeon.

I would therefore suggest that you

01. go away
02. try asking questions rather than making ridiculous demands that cannot be fulfilled and complaining when they aren't done. We do not mind answering questions and furthering knowledge, it's the ranting demands without comprehension that tend to rankle somewhat.
03. bother somebody else, but not IT, as they have also had it up to ^here^ with your ID-10T errors and PICNIC faults. If your Line Manager is directing you to us, please take this in the way it is intended by them - and leave them alone as well. We will deal with them later for stitching us up.
04. consider a career change into social media influencing where your technical, interpersonal and general communicative style will be put to best use
05. all of the above *** preselected ***

Regards, Dragon.'

In truth, it's not the MORNING DRAGONs that are the problem. They're just dragging me out of my headspace a little earlier than planned into a location where I have to pretend to be a vaguely functioning and not in the slightest bit misanthropic human being for the next 10-14 hours.

• Haha
Reactions: 18
I agree, amd it starts to make you feel really self conscious.
---

Oooh I will use that phrase next time I'm asked did I go for a walk at lunch? I go for a walk most lunchtimes unless it is raining. Someone in my team often remarks, 'did you go for a walk', just as I am coming in, taking my coat off etc. it's bloody obvious I'd been out 🤣
Say no, I was just taking the magic carpet for a spin

• Haha
Reactions: 4
How do you all handle hand shaking? In the current environment I really am not comfortable with shaking hands. I've literally seen people wipe their noses or cough into their hand then reach out with the same hand to shake 🤢. So I would rather not, but sometimes there seems no way out of it. I explained to a same level coworker that I don't shake hands, but when I met my new skip level manager it seemed inappropriate to refuse. So what I've been doing is shaking hands and then head straight to the ladies room to wash my hands. I feel like that's the most diplomatic way to deal with it. Sometimes I'll say "It was nice finally meeting you. I'm just headed to the ladies room, have a great rest of your day!" which implies I was on my way there already before we met.
I never shake hands with anyone. Just say hello and smile 😃

Reactions: 2
So their hand is just sort of hanging out in the air and you ignore it? And when you don't take their hand do they just withdraw it? Not debating, just curious.
😁 if you stand far enough away you can sort of half stick out your hand then quickly take it back because you can’t reach them (while smiling politely) then laugh. That generally works for me 😁

Reactions: 1
What do you do or say if they hold out their hand for you to shake?
Laugh it off and say ‘I’m still touching elbows’ and offer them that instead. I was at a conference with lots of epidemiologists recently and they were all into the elbow bumps.

How do you all handle hand shaking? In the current environment I really am not comfortable with shaking hands. I've literally seen people wipe their noses or cough into their hand then reach out with the same hand to shake 🤢. So I would rather not, but sometimes there seems no way out of it. I explained to a same level coworker that I don't shake hands, but when I met my new skip level manager it seemed inappropriate to refuse. So what I've been doing is shaking hands and then head straight to the ladies room to wash my hands. I feel like that's the most diplomatic way to deal with it. Sometimes I'll say "It was nice finally meeting you. I'm just headed to the ladies room, have a great rest of your day!" which implies I was on my way there already before we met.
Ah I hate it too but don't feel I can refuse. I do the handshake and after the meeting wash my hands. It's hard to get out of a handshake if someone offers their hand.

So their hand is just sort of hanging out in the air and you ignore it? And when you don't take their hand do they just withdraw it? Not debating, just curious.
I put my hands in my pockets when they come at me, nod, smile, say hello and then find something to look at / ready / be interested in. Or if no pockets, cough (in to my hand) then say hi and ask if anyone has a sanitiser, they generally withdraw any out stretched hand at that point.😁

• Haha
I put my hands in my pockets when they come at me, nod, smile, say hello and then find something to look at / ready / be interested in. Or if no pockets, cough (in to my hand) then say hi and ask if anyone has a sanitiser, they generally withdraw any out stretched hand at that point.😁
Genius!

Ah I hate it too but don't feel I can refuse. I do the handshake and after the meeting wash my hands. It's hard to get out of a handshake if someone offers their hand.
Especially when they walk right up to you and put out their hand. Distance doesn't work in that case since I can't back away without seeming rude.
My company is also doing a lot of communal food events. So if I want some food I have to use the exact same serving spoon everyone else uses. So I usually just serve myself and then take the plate up to my desk, wash my hands and proceed to eat. It's a bit tedious but again, I see people sneezing and coughing into their hands and wiping their noses with their palms. I don't want to help myself to their germs.

Especially when they walk right up to you and put out their hand. Distance doesn't work in that case since I can't back away without seeming rude.
My company is also doing a lot of communal food events. So if I want some food I have to use the exact same serving spoon everyone else uses. So I usually just serve myself and then take the plate up to my desk, wash my hands and proceed to eat. It's a bit tedious but again, I see people sneezing and coughing into their hands and wiping their noses with their palms. I don't want to help myself to their germs.
Ah yes communal food at conferences etc gives me germophobia. There's like 50+ people breathing over it and picking things up with their fingers, gross.

Reactions: 4
Ah yes communal food at conferences etc gives me germophobia. There's like 50+ people breathing over it and picking things up with their fingers, gross.
I just love when the boss brings in donuts and someone leaves half a donut in the box. As though they think someone would want the other half after they broke it in half with their filthy fingers.

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 7
I just love when the boss brings in donuts and someone leaves half a donut in the box. As though they think someone would want the other half after they broke it in half with their filthy fingers.
Yeah and it gives an air of 'oooo I couldn't possibly finish a whole one' bullshit. Just enjoy the donut and bin any leftovers that you've touched.

Reactions: 7
Yes! Why do people do that 🤢

I french-kiss them, breaks the ice and gets me to see the lovely people down the job centre more often.

• Haha
Reactions: 20
Yes! Why do people do that 🤢
We have a toaster and free bread/butter/jam etc in the canteen. My soul leaves my body when one of my grubby-handed colleagues rifles through the whole loaf of bread to get a ‘nice fresh slice’ from the middle 🤢

On topic but it also riles me when colleagues leave the canteen in absolute shite because we have a cleaner who comes once a week and it’s her job to clean it. Like yeah it is but you don’t need to aim for the stars in how filthy you leave it for her!

• Sick
Reactions: 8
Have 3 immediate superiors, and I answer to one of them daily depending who's in. One's quite hands-off, but will often come up with spur of the moment announcements without consulting the other two, and those two do everything differently from each other. Genuinely have no idea some days how/why to do something or why we're now doing it this way not the other. If I gave a tit I think I'd go mad :LOL:

Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.