Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

no-no

VIP Member
When you’re handing over work, go through it all and they’re like “yeah, yeah great. Can you make a guide?”. How old are you, 6? Take notes and create your own guide like I had to. What’s the point in booking time in with me for a demo if you’re just going to sit there glass-eyed then ask for a guide. Not happening.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 17

TheGlossy

VIP Member
People who change their status to "away" the moment you ping them. If it happens all the time, it's not a coincidence.

I agree on the above post though. I used to be a second-class citizen when I worked with people who had children. Those with children were allowed to book both Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve off and I when I asked to do the same, it was a hard no. They always had priority when it came to summer holidays (I wasn't allowed to book July / August because I had to cover for them).

It also appears that if you have other responsibilities (such as taking care of a family member or a grief following a death), it's always relayed to the bottom of the pile with the people who have kids as "priority". I've experienced this first hand. I was given 3 days off when my dad died and someone went on a 6 weeks long paternal leave right at the same time. It's a disgrace. I'm all for balance for all employees, but there shouldn't be any favouritism towards people with children.

Last edited:
  • Heart

square_spoon

VIP Member
This whole wfh thing . I work in public sector and one guy posted on our teams chat by mistake about what movies he was watching , he also seems to have do nip out constantly with his kids . He is married I just don’t get why this is allowed he doesn’t work by his finish time ever as he’s always posting about stopping early on a Friday for a drink . Another colleague left work at 1030 on an office day as she wanted to be at home with her kid ? When I’m wfh I’m scared to even nip out to the bins in case anyone looks for me yet my colleagues at the moment seem to treat work as an optional extra with their children being priority . How the hell did they cope with childcare pre wfh ?
I think when emergency WFH started (at the height of the pandemic), a lot of people had their kids at home and it created this idea for them that it was acceptable for them to WFH and look after their kids at the same time, when really it was an emergency pandemic response. Now the lines are blurred they're content to keep doing it thinking it's totally fine, and most employers are terrified to push back because they're not sure what's reasonable or legal. I've heard of people bragging about how much they're saving on childcare by taking their kids out of childminding and having them at home while they're WFH while their colleagues continue to come to work. I'm not saying working parents don't work as hard as anyone else in principle but there's a more pronounced air of p*ss taking now that WFH has become more common place.

• Heart
I'm back with some real doozies.
  • Shared my screen with someone whilst we reviewed the content of a proposal together. This person hit the roof when they saw that I had the paragraph marks on display in Word (as in, the little button along the top that you can simply click on or off to hide formatting bits and pieces - returns, tabs, spaces and the like). They started ranting and raving, asking why I'd "put them on there like that" - when I politely explained - "Hey look, easily fixed with the click of a button," they continued ranting ... as if I'd done something truly awful! For the record, it's something I keep on out of habit, as when I'm formatting the document I want it to look as best as possible. I couldn't be bothered justifying my "actions" and feel seriously concerned that this person can get so upset over something so minor.
  • Smelly colleague issues here, too - including a lady who smokes and every time returns from one of her smoko breaks, sprays yet more perfume.
  • There is a lovely lady at work who is relatively new (and won't last because she is so lovely and mostly everyone else is awful and loathes new blood!), had a piece of shungite crystal on her desk to neutralise EMF; anyhoo, the lady who sits next to her took offence at this and accused her of performing witchcraft and reported her to management.
This is definitely one of the strangest places I've worked!

• Wow
  • Haha
When you log into a teams call and not everyone has dialled-in yet so people start making small talk…. I was on with 7 of the 12 people in our team a few weeks ago. The manager on the call asked every person how they were managing WFH with childcare/school runs etc, in alphabetical order. She came to my turn in the alphabet and completely skipped passed me because I’m the only one without children in the team. She didn’t even acknowledge me, let alone ask me how I was/ how my day was going. It was humiliating and completely discriminatory.

• Wow
  • Sad

MrsBsDayOff

VIP Member
Hate it where people treat the office cleaners, caterers or front desk security staff with disrespect. I've witnessed an occasional person do this, talking down to them, making a mess after they've just cleaned, or ignoring them when they walk in, and its really not nice.

• Heart

Hollie Day

VIP Member
Colleagues who send an email and then approach in person five minutes later with 'did you get my email?'

I just check my inbox and say 'yes its there' and then return to looking at my screen and tapping away on my keyboard.
I'm not going to deal with it any quicker because you've come all the way over to point out that you've sent me one.

• Haha

Rxt156

VIP Member
“I’m going to the shop, do you want anything”?
When has anybody ever said yes to this? It would be too much hassle for the favour-doer if they didn’t have your item, I’d be too embarrassed- and how do you sort out payment? Just go yourself :)
Ohhhh especially when they want a meal deal!!! “Diet Coke. If they haven’t got they I’ll have one of those new drinks ahhhh what’re they called. You know the green bottle. Not green I think it’s blue. Well I’ll have one of them. And a wrap. Probably the chicken one but if not I’ll have the BLT and any crisps apart from wotsits”

F off!

• Haha
The constant pressure in my job to be working towards the next level. Don't get me wrong, goals drive us forward and I want keep upskilling but I don't want to manage people or become a senior leader. I've worked myself up to a position where I'm well paid for what I do and I can still check out at the door. It allows me to pursue interests outside work and keep my sanity. The prospects of dialling into late /early calls and the constant hustle just doesn't appeal to me. If that makes me unambitious then so be it. We can't all be directors and VPs, why can't employers recognise the value in their bread and butter support staff.

• Heart

CatCafe234

VIP Member
Omg there's nothing worse than the office food police is there. I used to work in a large office where this one lady who was on slimming world would constantly ask what you're having for lunch and give you a disapproving look if you said "Do you know what Linda, I'm off to Greggs today"
The people who are ‘doing’ slimming world/WW and who bring that into the office are deeply annoying. Those mugshot things reek, and they’ll sit there noisily slurping them down at their desk all day because they’ve only got half a syn or something, so they’re ‘good for you’ even though they are probably some of the most processed crap you could eat. Then they bring out the tinned fish salad for lunch 🤮 or something that they microwave that ends up smelling like a bin on a summer day, and then they’ll sit and witter all afternoon about how many syns each kind of biscuit, muesli bar or cup of coffee has, and how they put on half a pound last week but it’s just water and …

• Haha

shadowcat5

VIP Member
Tips of the day:

When interviewing for a role, if there is mention along the lines of, "We're like a big family here ..." Avoid. At all costs. Because it *probably* doesn't mean in the caring, fun, sense ... it *likely* means in the jealous, bickering sense. And if you dare have any sort of life outside of / away from work, then they'll sulk. And they will absolutely expect you to be available for any weekend events they arrange ... which helps keep up their façade of a big, happy family all working together.

If interviewing for a role with high turnover (you may not find this out until you get there though, to be fair :unsure:), read and watch out for red flags. If it's due to internal promotion then that's probably a good sign, but if they've left altogether, you could be stepping into a minefield. Watch out for the warnings - even if they're just minor things, because the universe might be trying to tell you that it's not the best move for you.

-----------------

I can't believe how disgusting ladies can be. The ladies' toilet at work is constantly a mess with ripped bits of toilet paper on the floor, water splashed up the glass, soap on the floor (as a result of someone/s moving their hand/s away before the dispenser has finished dispensing), paper towels thrown at the the bin (rather than in it) ...

Then, there's the dishwasher. Cutlery placed so it's poking up, plates stacked so closely together that they're not going to get cleaned properly ... ugh.
In my experience, “we’re like a family” also means “we have no sense of boundaries and shag each other like some weird sister wife situation”

Just my experience…

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 16

Milktray

VIP Member
Overzealous managers doing a new seating plan. WTF is that about? We're all adults, we're all in a professional role that we've all fucking worked hard to get.
The morale has hit rock bottom and she's walking round all smug because Gobby Gaby is now sat next to Sleepy Sally.
She's a dick head.

• Wow
  • Sad

WeHadFunRight

VIP Member
Im quiet at work, naturally shy, keep myself to myself. Popped into the staffroom at lunch to text my daughter. Whilst doing so, a colleague who is a gobby cow cracked a joke at my expense and everyone laughed. I was so embarrassed and then I was fuming, I hate being laughed at. I was just minding my own business, there was no need.
I really really really hate people who make jokes at other peoples expense and think you should be on board with it. I hate being teased it makes me just think the other person is an utter fucking knob.

Heidi88

VIP Member
Thanks for the advice. It went better than expected and my boss even offered to make some structural changes to get me to stay and even gave me a compliment (there is a first for everything)! They said they are disappointed it didnt work out whilst not realising they are at least 75% of the reason I am going. I kept it very cordial and didnt go into reasons for leaving other than I want a change and the role isnt right for me. I have a call with HR tomorrow (at their request).

I'm officially on the countdown to getting out of there.

• Heart
Reactions: 15

chocolatepanda6

This whole wfh thing . I work in public sector and one guy posted on our teams chat by mistake about what movies he was watching , he also seems to have do nip out constantly with his kids . He is married I just don’t get why this is allowed he doesn’t work by his finish time ever as he’s always posting about stopping early on a Friday for a drink . Another colleague left work at 1030 on an office day as she wanted to be at home with her kid ? When I’m wfh I’m scared to even nip out to the bins in case anyone looks for me yet my colleagues at the moment seem to treat work as an optional extra with their children being priority . How the hell did they cope with childcare pre wfh ?

bcfc999

Chatty Member
Can I ask people's opinions on this? I am finishing up in my job in less than 4 weeks. A few weeks ago (after i handed in my notice) my manager asked me to put together a file of all my passwords for my log in details to our tax authority (our equivalent of HMRC) where we file tax returns etc. I have two issues with this

1) I will no longer be an employee so why do they need my access. Instead they should sort access for other people and
2) I use the same password for these as I do for personal things (i know I shouldnt but i try and reuse a certain number of passwords).

Am I over reacting here? When you submit a return there is a warning something like knowingly submitting a false return is an offence. I cant remember the exact wording but you enter your password then as a digitial signature of accepting this.

I stupidly ignored the email but didnt want to say anything as she has been in a good mood and now she has asked me again. All via email despite us being in the office together a lot. I would prefer to speak to her about it but have been delaying as I know her attitude to me will change and she is a big part of the reason I am leaving
No, absolutely do not do it. As you've said, it's on them to set colleagues up with their own access. Tell her nicely that the authority is very strict about it and you don't want to cause an issue. She 100% knows this and is trying her luck.

Scarlet4U

Colleagues who have different personas depending on who they're dealing with. The ones who are sugary sweet and cant do enough for people with influence and then are invisible when it comes to helping out their own level or below. I'm honestly the same person whether I'm dealing with the CEO or the receptionist. If I have knowledge you need I'll share it and if you respect me I'll respect you.

• Heart

Donald73

VIP Member
I’m about to combust.

I scheduled a meeting with my direct manager today to discuss the transfer date. Then he responds saying “I would suggest to wait until you’ve confirmed your decision to leave to myself and my manager before talking about the transfer date”.

I told them on 02/11 I was leaving then they initiated the whole non existent counter offer thing and I told them I’d think of it. A week later, I informed my direct manager of my decision to leave. Today, I scheduled a call with my direct manager to discuss the transfer date on my contract to make sure they discuss with the new manager if it doesn’t suit.

Seriously. This idiot is my direct manager, I informed him not once but twice of my decision to leave and now he’s acting dumb as if I never told him I was leaving. He keeps resetting the clock meanwhile the process is still moving forward on my end. I signed documents in the system, he’s my direct manager. I don’t care what his manager does or doesn’t do. He’s not the I report to.

Then he went on and put in an email how I was thinking of a counteroffer (counter offer which we never put on the table in the first place).
No.

I would reply to his email saying that you were never willing to consider a counter offer, that you felt steamrollered into even considering it and that on X date you refused it. That on Y date and Z date you confirmed to him and your actual manager that you are moving teams, and that as there seem to have been mixed wires you are putting your intention into writing. And also as he’s being a little twat, say too that your agreed start date with the new team is - and that due to this you’ll no longer be able to go on the previously discussed trip as you’ll be in your new role then.

• Heart

TheGlossy

VIP Member
Thank you everyone ❤ I really appreciate the kind words and support.

They knew I was going to turn them down and just didn’t want to hear it. They’re just vile and immature.

Afterwards, they asked me to train the newbie who was hired at the level I was supposed to be promoted to. They told him in front of me “we hope you’ll be as good as her one day”. Idiots. Yeah, because I was so good you gave the promotional role to someone else. They must be having a laugh.

I’m taking days off as my workload lessened. No training from me anytime soon. What a bunch of pricks.

HoGi

VIP Member
Yeah I can definitely understand why you'd feel that way. It's a once bitten, twice shy kind of scenario.

Any business that doesn't welcome staff feedback isn't going to be a good place to work IMO. We have regular staff feedback surveys and when they started I thought it was just management paying lip service. But as the scores are published, they can't get away with sweeping it under the carpet and you can tell management actually does at least try and do things to address some of the feedback. It's not perfect, but it does increase staff morale.
I work in public sector and we have an employee survey annually.

The scores are published and fuck all is ever done about it.

At a team level changes are made but at a higher corporate level nothing changes.

So the big ticket whinges I.e pay, not enough staff, workloads too high, not recruiting, too much red tape etc. Nothing ever changes

Instead we just get 100 emails a week about wellbeing and screen breaks.

• Haha
  • Wow