Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time? #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I read this thread because I hate my job but seriously, the stuff you post about is next level and is just a stream of utterly toxic behaviour. Is there no way you can leave this job before it does you some serious harm mentally?
Agree - it is absolutely toxic. I wouldn't wish this on anyone because this type of environment is mentally taxing.

I'm trying - I've been looking, but nothing has come through thus far :( I'm hoping something will come along sooner rather than later.

• Sad
Reactions: 5
Agree - it is absolutely toxic. I wouldn't wish this on anyone because this type of environment is mentally taxing.

I'm trying - I've been looking, but nothing has come through thus far :( I'm hoping something will come along sooner rather than later.
Appreciate I don’t know you, but I will keep everything crossed …

I did once walk out of a job with nothing to go to because of an absolute psychopath of a boss, but that was a dozen years ago and the world then wasn’t quite what it is now. In hindsight, I should have played them at their own game and given myself some breathing space with the sick leave I sorely needed, but I was younger, more innocent and it’s so easy to feel very trapped in these awful situations because they nibble away at your health, your sanity and your confidence. I took a paycut (again, not always possible), a temporary contract (again …) and moved to the company that I’m still with now. I don’t love it anymore but I do feel fairly confident that the worst kind of madness would get stamped on. I wouldn’t wish an unhappy work situation on anyone so I hope you get it sorted soon.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Thank you, everyone! I really appreciate the kind advice.

The situation went from bad to worse:
  • After the non-sense escalation took place, I discussed with my manager who said they will respond to the project lead's escalation but it appears this individual kept replying back to my manager saying this is unacceptable.
  • In the meantime, I realized someone else on the project was also due to deliver their work on Thursday. We worked on a similar task with today as deadline and oddly enough, their "delay" was not the object of an escalation. If mine is subject to an escalation, so should theirs.
  • Yesterday, I sent an email to the person who initiated the escalation against me asking for some information to quickly finalize my deliverable and send it across on the same day...No response all day. Yet in the meantime they keep feeding into the escalation from what my manager told me. I approached my manager about this lack of response and they told me to stay late at night and wait for this person to respond to finish the work. I waited until midnight, then logged off, no response from this individual.
  • When I logged in this morning, another party reached out and said the information I was provided with by the project lead was completely outdated and no longer relevant which meant I had to redo the work of an entire week in one day because the deadline was today. The project lead has known about this for weeks and failed to inform me. According to policy, we can only use up to date information for this piece of work. I had to drop whatever deliverable I was about to finalize and re-do the work with the updated information which the project lead failed to provide at the start. The work of an entire week had to be redone in one day. When I sent it across to the project lead's support team I was told: "Why did you do the work with the updated information. We are asking you to work with the outdated information". This is not the process - anything outdated cannot be used period. It's against policy. This was also confirmed by my manager. When I asked for clarification to the project lead on why I am being asked to use obsolete information - again, I was met with no response. My manager then just told me to just deliver whatever I had already done with the outdated information and leave it at that.
The worst part of it all is that three weeks ago I had asked for this piece of work to get re-assigned because of various factors including covering for a person on sick leave and I was met with a hard "NO". I was diligent enough to ensure the work would get delivered one day before the deadline and even that wasn't good enough to the point where it was escalated and then I was clearly sabotaged by the project lead who put in place silent treatment like a kid who is being told "NO" at the candy store.

This is absolutely insane behaviour. I've never seen this anywhere else.
So did you take the advice above?

So did you take the advice above?
I discussed the issue at great lengths with my manager who is fully aware of my workload and they acknowledged my points. I followed up with an email but it's falling onto deaf ears as they tried to address the situation with the project lead, but according to them, the project lead "would not listen".

At this point, the fact that I was given silent treatment by the project lead despite the fact my manager got involved, it just speaks volume.

The manager stated they will escalate this matter on their end to address these unreasonable expectations and more specifically the non-cooperative behaviour. We will see if it comes to fruition at all. I don't have much faith.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 2
I discussed the issue at great lengths with my manager who is fully aware of my workload and they acknowledged my points. I followed up with an email but it's falling onto deaf ears as they tried to address the situation with the project lead, but according to them, the project lead "would not listen".

At this point, the fact that I was given silent treatment by the project lead despite the fact my manager got involved, it just speaks volume.

The manager stated they will escalate this matter on their end to address these unreasonable expectations and more specifically the non-cooperative behaviour. We will see if it comes to fruition at all. I don't have much faith.
Gloss, I've suggested to you before that for the sake of your own sanity you really need to quit and move away - far, far away. You've dealt with so much recently with work and your personal life, and I honestly feel that a complete change of scenery - and perhaps doing something completely different - would work very well in your favour - even if that means that you have to take a huge salary drop and adjust your personal spending accordingly.

I imagine the firm you work for is consulting in nature, and is headed up by these boys' clubs. Sure, there might be a female or two at the top, but they're struggling to hold that place and will never really fit in. I've worked for a few in my time and would never, ever care to repeat the experience. Even now, I hear stories from my friends about their adult children graduating from university and getting a "dream job" with lots of perks (whoopdedoo - a "free" laptop - wait until they realise that their usage will be strictly monitored and they'll be expected to work long hours including weekends using it), and will be treated like rubbish for the first couple of years until they have "proven" themselves. It's disgusting that these sort of "firms" still exist, quite frankly.

They don't, and won't ever, care about you - all they care about is making money.

You can email them, and express your concerns, until you're blue in the face but it will never, ever get you anywhere. Trust me - I know, and have lived through it! You need to get out now, while you still have your health. A guy I worked with at one of the consulting firms had a heart attack - at work - the Managing Partner spat at someone to, "Get him out of here before a client sees!" Sums it up really.

-------------------------------------

I recently took up the offer of a permanent job working for a company that had hired a few people for a new, but likely to be ongoing forever, client project. Sadly, the pin was pulled after a few days because the client is under investigation for something serious, and we're all out of work. We were all given a very generous redundancy payout which they didn't have to do! Plus, they said they'd happily recommend us to competitors looking for new recruits.

I, along with three others, have been asked to stay on for a few more weeks to help with this company's other client projects, some of which are falling off the rails because of mismanagement and, to put it bluntly, people who are just there to do the bare minimum and collect their pay cheque.

One of the people who sits next to me, who's been there for about 10 years and working on one particular project all the time, constantly turns up late (they're very strict about you being logged in and ready for work at 8:30am) ... her dramas are usually traffic, some electricity/plumbing/other crisis at home - the excuses seem to be on rotation; then she huffs and puffs and carries on for a good hour or two, walking around and moaning and groaning to whoever will listen, all while holding a piece of paper in her hand to make it look like she's working (meanwhile, her personal phone will be ringing, annoying everyone else). Then she'll make a song and dance about needing a coffee after the morning she's had - she'll disappear for a good half hour to get that (and nearly always come back with tales of who she managed to bump into) - and when she returns, she'll do an hour or so of work (usually just forward all her emails to the four of us who've been asked to stay on, to action) - and then trot off to lunch! I'm not sure what she does in the afternoons - she's never at her desk but all her stuff is there - I wouldn't be surprised if she heads to a meeting room for a nap! It's the same-old, each and every day and management seem oblivious to it. She's also a bit of a bad egg - witches about everyone behind their backs and tries to stir up drama.

I'm really not sure what's going to happen in the long run ... one of the other ladies who's been asked to stay on, has speculated that management would be silly to let us go and keep someone like her on. She could be on to something as there are at least a couple of other people like this on various other projects.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I'm one of these people who can easily switch off from work at the weekend. Which is great in a way, as I don't want to be thinking or worrying about work in my down time, but it makes Monday mornings harder. 😂

I've just had another effing meeting put in my diary - I swear one of the projects I'm on has at least 15 meetings a week (I kid you not). Every time a new one gets put in I just want to scream.

Even my Outlook gave me an automated warning on Friday saying: "It seems like you have a lot of meetings next week, why not book in some focus time?" No tit, Sherlock. If I book in focus time it'll just get ignored.

Rant over. :D

• Haha
Reactions: 12
So my office fitness fanatic is in overdrive at the moment.
Someone brought sweets back from their holidays and she went out and bought a load of fruit so people could have that instead.
We are grown adults and can decide if we want a sweet or not.
She has arranged a keep fit session for today and then salads for lunch.
She mentions this at least 15 times a day on our teams and I actually tired of her now.
I will be staying at my desk as do not want my lunch judged by her today.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 12
Someone brought sweets back from their holidays and she went out and bought a load of fruit so people could have that instead.
She mentions this at least 15 times a day on our teams and I actually tired of her now.
That’s annoying. I’ve worked in teams where half of them seem to be on weight watchers or slimming world so if I brought snacks in they’d have long discussions about how many sins each thing had.

Reactions: 6
I would told her to stuff her fruit while i was eating the sweets, in fact i would bring in a HUGE box of sweets every week, mebbe throw in some crisps as well

• Haha
Reactions: 8
How it is possible to work good if there is a collegue who distract you? This is awful!

In my office we have a PS5, and my male collegues screams so loud when they fail in FIFA. This is really annoying

• Wow

Quietly play her at her own game Sam. Take donuts in. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Quietly play her at her own game Sam. Take donuts in. 😂
Well yesterday was a milestone for me in this company and I was going to bring some treats in but thought nah they dont deserve them so left them to their fruit and salad 😄
The best part is they go on about how healthy they are eating and the amount of extras they put in those salads is horrific, there would be less calories and fat in fast food. And she is supposed to be an expert on all things fitness.

Reactions: 5
Well yesterday was a milestone for me in this company and I was going to bring some treats in but thought nah they dont deserve them so left them to their fruit and salad 😄
The best part is they go on about how healthy they are eating and the amount of extras they put in those salads is horrific, there would be less calories and fat in fast food. And she is supposed to be an expert on all things fitness.
Ha ha love this. I hope you celebrated your special day in your own way though 🥂.

I used to work with a lady who would bring in sausage salads and declare them healthy!.

• Haha
  • Wow
Omg there's nothing worse than the office food police is there. I used to work in a large office where this one lady who was on slimming world would constantly ask what you're having for lunch and give you a disapproving look if you said "Do you know what Linda, I'm off to Greggs today"

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Omg there's nothing worse than the office food police is there. I used to work in a large office where this one lady who was on slimming world would constantly ask what you're having for lunch and give you a disapproving look if you said "Do you know what Linda, I'm off to Greggs today"
The people who are ‘doing’ slimming world/WW and who bring that into the office are deeply annoying. Those mugshot things reek, and they’ll sit there noisily slurping them down at their desk all day because they’ve only got half a syn or something, so they’re ‘good for you’ even though they are probably some of the most processed crap you could eat. Then they bring out the tinned fish salad for lunch 🤮 or something that they microwave that ends up smelling like a bin on a summer day, and then they’ll sit and witter all afternoon about how many syns each kind of biscuit, muesli bar or cup of coffee has, and how they put on half a pound last week but it’s just water and …

• Haha
Reactions: 17
The people who are ‘doing’ slimming world/WW and who bring that into the office are deeply annoying. Those mugshot things reek, and they’ll sit there noisily slurping them down at their desk all day because they’ve only got half a syn or something, so they’re ‘good for you’ even though they are probably some of the most processed crap you could eat. Then they bring out the tinned fish salad for lunch 🤮 or something that they microwave that ends up smelling like a bin on a summer day, and then they’ll sit and witter all afternoon about how many syns each kind of biscuit, muesli bar or cup of coffee has, and how they put on half a pound last week but it’s just water and …
Its so annoying, especially as i know that so many ordinary foods could be had, soup, big salads etc instead of these gross "slimming world staples"

Luckily I've never had any of those people, only those who get offended if you don't have a slice of cake and take it personally that someone tries to eat healthy. Both as bad as each other tbh🤣

Slimming world so dumb as well as I recently found out on this forum. Apparently pasta is a free food (meaning you can eat as much of it as you want??!) Like wtf, how does that make sense

• Wow
In a previous job, several colleagues jumped on the WW / Slimming World bandwagon. They went as far as to bring in a set of scales to weigh themselves in an empty office every Monday morning and encouraged everyone else to do the same. Then there were the “lunchtime walks” they wanted everyone else to join them on.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Haha
How it is possible to work good if there is a collegue who distract you? This is awful!

In my office we have a PS5, and my male collegues screams so loud when they fail in FIFA. This is really annoying
That's terrible - I have 2 gamer sons. Hearing them shouting and screaming in their bedrooms most evenings is irritating enough, having to put up with that kind of thing in the workplace would finish me off!

Reactions: 7
I would have made a point of saying that to her every single day! 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.