Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time? #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Yes, it's in the contract. If the OP doesn't have it in her contract, she has no obligation to anybody. My employer doesn't require this.
I checked with the company that offers the course and once I cancel before 30 days its refundable so I will see how the interviews go.

Reactions: 3
I'd say it's up to each companies own policy
Yup, I’ve worked for lots of different types of firms and they have different policies around this. Plus they can’t make you pay for something you didn’t agree to pay for in any way shape or form. I had training worth around €5,000 in my last role that they wanted me to do and they could not claim any of the costs back from me when I left. In my current role, I have an education agreement which contains a clawback if I leave before a certain date in relation to a €3,000 course I am doing. Lots of companies tend not to bother anyway but it does depend on the company and the relationship at the time in many cases.

There is no such policy in my company as I had asked HR a few months ago as a team member is interested in doing a professional qualification. They said the policy is still being drafted and it hasnt been circulated Mine is a very short course - 2 days.

Is a course on managing people. I currently have a team of 4 but in the roles I am applying for some have direct reports and others dont. It would be a good course to do but I dont mind if I do it or not.
Unless they have an agreement with you that you will pay if you leave, they can’t charge you for it.

In my place if you leave within 6 months after they pay for a course they will take the entire cost back. 50% for 6 to 9 months and 25% for 9 to 12 months. After that you are clear.

Reactions: 4
I don’t think it’s jurisdiction specific. It’s company specific. Each company is free to dictate their own rules in this regard.
The way you wrote it sounded like you thought it was mandatory, and since I know you're in Ireland, I thought I'd mention that even if it is the law there, it's not here. Your words left no room for nuance.

" Technically, if a company sponsors a course or a degree, you have to remain in the company for a specific amount of time otherwise you have to refund a portion or the full fee to the company on your way out. It’s policy in most companies so whether you offer it as a gesture or not, the company is entitled to ask for their money back anyways "

The company is not entitled to ask for its money back if you haven't entered into an agreement with them first.

• Wow
Reactions: 2
The way you wrote it sounded like you thought it was mandatory, and since I know you're in Ireland, I thought I'd mention that even if it is the law there, it's not here. Your words left no room for nuance.

" Technically, if a company sponsors a course or a degree, you have to remain in the company for a specific amount of time otherwise you have to refund a portion or the full fee to the company on your way out. It’s policy in most companies so whether you offer it as a gesture or not, the company is entitled to ask for their money back anyways "

The company is not entitled to ask for its money back if you haven't entered into an agreement with them first.
I think you’re reading too much into what I wrote. I never said it was a legal requirement and of course, OP has to check their contract. OP made it sound like they already entered into an agreement. So yes, if they entered into an agreement and her contract requires her to refund the fee, the company has grounds to request a refund.

I never said it was a legal requirement so we’re clear. I clarified this stating it is dependent on the company. Ireland or UK or US is irrelevant in this context. Company policy trumps.

OP knows her company policy better than we do in any case.

I simply responded to the exact words you used. If you had said “often”, “sometimes”, “possibly”, etc we wouldn’t still be talking about it 😀.

Reactions: 5
Tips of the day:

When interviewing for a role, if there is mention along the lines of, "We're like a big family here ..." Avoid. At all costs. Because it *probably* doesn't mean in the caring, fun, sense ... it *likely* means in the jealous, bickering sense. And if you dare have any sort of life outside of / away from work, then they'll sulk. And they will absolutely expect you to be available for any weekend events they arrange ... which helps keep up their façade of a big, happy family all working together.

If interviewing for a role with high turnover (you may not find this out until you get there though, to be fair :unsure:), read and watch out for red flags. If it's due to internal promotion then that's probably a good sign, but if they've left altogether, you could be stepping into a minefield. Watch out for the warnings - even if they're just minor things, because the universe might be trying to tell you that it's not the best move for you.

-----------------

I can't believe how disgusting ladies can be. The ladies' toilet at work is constantly a mess with ripped bits of toilet paper on the floor, water splashed up the glass, soap on the floor (as a result of someone/s moving their hand/s away before the dispenser has finished dispensing), paper towels thrown at the the bin (rather than in it) ...

Then, there's the dishwasher. Cutlery placed so it's poking up, plates stacked so closely together that they're not going to get cleaned properly ... ugh.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6
Tips of the day:

When interviewing for a role, if there is mention along the lines of, "We're like a big family here ..." Avoid. At all costs. Because it *probably* doesn't mean in the caring, fun, sense ... it *likely* means in the jealous, bickering sense. And if you dare have any sort of life outside of / away from work, then they'll sulk. And they will absolutely expect you to be available for any weekend events they arrange ... which helps keep up their façade of a big, happy family all working together.

If interviewing for a role with high turnover (you may not find this out until you get there though, to be fair :unsure:), read and watch out for red flags. If it's due to internal promotion then that's probably a good sign, but if they've left altogether, you could be stepping into a minefield. Watch out for the warnings - even if they're just minor things, because the universe might be trying to tell you that it's not the best move for you.

-----------------

I can't believe how disgusting ladies can be. The ladies' toilet at work is constantly a mess with ripped bits of toilet paper on the floor, water splashed up the glass, soap on the floor (as a result of someone/s moving their hand/s away before the dispenser has finished dispensing), paper towels thrown at the the bin (rather than in it) ...

Then, there's the dishwasher. Cutlery placed so it's poking up, plates stacked so closely together that they're not going to get cleaned properly ... ugh.
In my experience, “we’re like a family” also means “we have no sense of boundaries and shag each other like some weird sister wife situation”

Just my experience…

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 16
In my experience, “we’re like a family” also means “we have no sense of boundaries and shag each other like some weird sister wife situation”

Just my experience…
Nepotism is rife in our company as the MD has his daughter and now step son working, we saw these two talking a lot and assumed they fancied each other and flirting, we only found out recently they’re related 😝 luckily I didn’t put my foot in it as I would do, but his colleague joked about them and that’s how it came out! 😬
Now everyone who knows is sucking up to them so that they put a good word out to the boss, yet we’re also aware they are spies in the camps as they are placed in HR and IT!
It’s hard to be out of the radar now, even though I get on with them, the atmosphere is of paranoia 😢

Nepotism is rife in our company as the MD has his daughter and now step son working, we saw these two talking a lot and assumed they fancied each other and flirting, we only found out recently they’re related 😝 luckily I didn’t put my foot in it as I would do, but his colleague joked about them and that’s how it came out! 😬
Now everyone who knows is sucking up to them so that they put a good word out to the boss, yet we’re also aware they are spies in the camps as they are placed in HR and IT!
It’s hard to be out of the radar now, even though I get on with them, the atmosphere is of paranoia 😢
Some workplaces sound like dens of Machievellianism, with cloak-and-dagger plots, backstabbing and dog-eat-dog mentalities. It all seems so alien to me. Where I work, there's the ordinary workers, a few supervisors and quality controllers and just a couple of higher managers, so there's not much of a ladder to climb and everyone just gets on with their stuff and each other good-naturedly on the whole.

Reactions: 4
Annoying things my work colleagues do: talk about me!! We've gone through a LOT of changes in the last year and while my immediate colleagues will witch and gripe about stuff in our own office, I'm the only one who will do something about them/admit to being anxious or annoyed about things if asked by people higher up. Now I've noticed if someone is anxious about something and voices it, they'll go "well bcfc999 is worried about this" and act as if *they* have no problem with chronic uncertainty, it's just me. Sorry no how about learn to either live with things or try and do something about them??

• Heart
Annoying things my work colleagues do: talk about me!! We've gone through a LOT of changes in the last year and while my immediate colleagues will witch and gripe about stuff in our own office, I'm the only one who will do something about them/admit to being anxious or annoyed about things if asked by people higher up. Now I've noticed if someone is anxious about something and voices it, they'll go "well bcfc999 is worried about this" and act as if *they* have no problem with chronic uncertainty, it's just me. Sorry no how about learn to either live with things or try and do something about them??
I have this same issue about others taking my issues about work, like it’s criticism - but it’s about their chaotic organisational skills or missing info. Recently I voiced my concerns about a new data system in our open plan office, and my line manager called me up in it with an ad hoc meeting online after she was away for 2 weeks 😒 . She said I was being negative and encouraged blame culture, I said they do the same and gave recent examples. I believe my line manager was having side conversations about me. Even before and after a team meeting! I’m on leave now for two weeks. A few times I’ve been tempted to write an anonymous company review but thought I’ll save the vitriol it’s not worth it! I just look forward to being away from them. There’s a night out the week I come back, pretension of a “happy family reunion” between wider colleagues. I’m not going now, not said yet, and I know they’ll talk about me so I don’t care anymore! I’ve got better things to do. The great thing is the two new guys also notice how confusing these colleagues are, and they can’t vent either. I just be sarcastic and say it’s like 1984, or welcome to Communism! “I’ve been told don’t be negative” 😆

• Wow
Replying to a full company email when it´s not necessary. People are replying to all just to confirm they´ve paid the deposit... WHY?! Email privately! I´ve had 3 emails so far just saying 'paid'. I DONT CARE

Manager not sorting things he said he would before he goes on holiday. 😭 Cba it's so annoying.

• Heart
Replying to a full company email when it´s not necessary. People are replying to all just to confirm they´ve paid the deposit... WHY?! Email privately! I´ve had 3 emails so far just saying 'paid'. I DONT CARE
I actually wonder if some people are THAT stupid that they don't know how to answer to just one person, instead of sending their answer to ALL 🙄. (It happens in a group I'm in also, not work related. Some of us seem to understand how to reply only to the sender... 🙄)

Used to be on a social committee for work, years ago, and a guy on it used to address his emails to one person, and cc the rest of us. Minor annoyance, but I pointed it out. He claimed it was accidental or that he didn't know any other way to do it. But he stopped doing it. I think he thought he and she were the most important or something. They were both workshy anyway both for work and social events.

And while I'm on an email rant, cc-ing people who don't need to be cc'd. Stop it.

I actually wonder if some people are THAT stupid that they don't know how to answer to just one person, instead of sending their answer to ALL 🙄. (It happens in a group I'm in also, not work related. Some of us seem to understand how to reply only to the sender... 🙄)

Used to be on a social committee for work, years ago, and a guy on it used to address his emails to one person, and cc the rest of us. Minor annoyance, but I pointed it out. He claimed it was accidental or that he didn't know any other way to do it. But he stopped doing it. I think he thought he and she were the most important or something. They were both workshy anyway both for work and social events.

And while I'm on an email rant, cc-ing people who don't need to be cc'd. Stop it.
Mine either do it to be annoying or because they treat it like one big group chat. Gets right on my tits

This happened at my husband's old job. The MD (small business) employed a 'random' man into a management role that didn't previously exist. They had a different surname so for months, noone knew. Until someone found out the guy was the MD's son in law!! With no appropriate qualifications for the role 🙄 He was hopeless (but never called out on it), and noone trusted him or the MD after that.

I have this same issue about others taking my issues about work, like it’s criticism - but it’s about their chaotic organisational skills or missing info. Recently I voiced my concerns about a new data system in our open plan office, and my line manager called me up in it with an ad hoc meeting online after she was away for 2 weeks 😒 . She said I was being negative and encouraged blame culture, I said they do the same and gave recent examples. I believe my line manager was having side conversations about me. Even before and after a team meeting! I’m on leave now for two weeks. A few times I’ve been tempted to write an anonymous company review but thought I’ll save the vitriol it’s not worth it! I just look forward to being away from them. There’s a night out the week I come back, pretension of a “happy family reunion” between wider colleagues. I’m not going now, not said yet, and I know they’ll talk about me so I don’t care anymore! I’ve got better things to do. The great thing is the two new guys also notice how confusing these colleagues are, and they can’t vent either. I just be sarcastic and say it’s like 1984, or welcome to Communism! “I’ve been told don’t be negative” 😆
Ugh I feel for you. I got lumbered with written warning once for daring to mutter to a colleague about a project not working (it was a shambles). Apparently I was being negative and impacting morale. All I had done was utter an opinion to a colleague I thought felt the same but they effing shopped me. I managed to get it down to a verbal warning as they tried to skip several HR stages just to harass me. It would have been a different issue if I had shouted it to the whole room but it was literally only a frustrated whispered moan to a colleague after a very challenging day. I looked for a job after that. Workplaces need to allow for some feedback or allow employees to have a private moan with colleagues. We are human. Places that stamp on you for having a discreet opinion are the worst.

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Heart
This happened at my husband's old job. The MD (small business) employed a 'random' man into a management role that didn't previously exist. They had a different surname so for months, noone knew. Until someone found out the guy was the MD's son in law!! With no appropriate qualifications for the role 🙄 He was hopeless (but never called out on it), and noone trusted him or the MD after that.

Ugh I feel for you. I got lumbered with written warning once for daring to mutter to a colleague about a project not working (it was a shambles). Apparently I was being negative and impacting morale. All I had done was utter an opinion to a colleague I thought felt the same but they effing shopped me. I managed to get it down to a verbal warning as they tried to skip several HR stages just to harass me. It would have been a different issue if I had shouted it to the whole room but it was literally only a frustrated whispered moan to a colleague after a very challenging day. I looked for a job after that. Workplaces need to allow for some feedback or allow employees to have a private moan with colleagues. We are human. Places that stamp on you for having a discreet opinion are the worst.
Years ago I got a warning too for daring to suggest that a reading test my year 1 pupils were being forced to do was pointless. (It was pointless and not mandatory at all). I'm never actually negative at work but I did feel it was wasting the children's time and didnt actually provide feedback on their reading abilities. It's just frustrating when you could spend those hours doing something useful like actually teaching 😑

I do as I'm told and keep my opinions to myself these days!

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.