Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time? #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
In the meantime, you can also talk to one of our ‘highly trained’ (don’t laugh) Well-being Champions*.

*known workplace gossip and brown-noser who wouldn’t hesitate to shop anyone in if it meant a promotion.
so much this!!

• Haha
Reactions: 8
So I am carrying a bit of an injury which means Im in pain and cant walk very far at the moment.
There was a work thing which was basically just walking and I couldnt go. So I sat in office on my own and got can someone do the phones. Can someone let the lunch in? Dont even get a name check. Oh and Im not allowed have lunch as I didnt attend the other part.
So here I sit still on phones as receptionist has not taken them back. I didnt get a break at all since I got here this morning.
My boss is sitting there shovelling food into his face knowing Im in pain, extremely busy and no chance of doing my own work as stuck with phones.
Will be telling him Im leaving early this evening as I got no break at all.
Right now I really do not like anyone in this building.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 9
I’ve written here previously about how much my new workplace is obsessed with small talk, but I feel a distinction needs to be made in that people here just love to TALK full stop.

Meetings are typically only 30 mins, which would be fine if not for the customary 12 mins of small talk to kick off each one and then the inability of people to just STOP TALKING. Meetings always overrun and rarely actually get to the point as people just go on and on - they’ll ask you a question, you come off mute but they never break for breath and just continue talking until they have talked themselves away from your question and onto a new topic so you just to go on mute again.

Honestly it’s a company wide issue - I have been avoiding my ‘buddy’ like the plague as she physically does not stop talking unless you force her - e.g. in our first 1:1 I came with a list of 5 questions and did not get to ask a single one as she monologued, without break, for the entire 30 mins. I have to go camera off a lot of the time as the frustration is just too much - I’ll have my head in my hands whilst waiting for a solid 7 mins just to answer a simple yes/no question while the asker repeats themselves over and over AND OVER for absolutely no reason 🫠

Reactions: 7
I’ve written here previously about how much my new workplace is obsessed with small talk, but I feel a distinction needs to be made in that people here just love to TALK full stop.

Meetings are typically only 30 mins, which would be fine if not for the customary 12 mins of small talk to kick off each one and then the inability of people to just STOP TALKING. Meetings always overrun and rarely actually get to the point as people just go on and on - they’ll ask you a question, you come off mute but they never break for breath and just continue talking until they have talked themselves away from your question and onto a new topic so you just to go on mute again.

Honestly it’s a company wide issue - I have been avoiding my ‘buddy’ like the plague as she physically does not stop talking unless you force her - e.g. in our first 1:1 I came with a list of 5 questions and did not get to ask a single one as she monologued, without break, for the entire 30 mins. I have to go camera off a lot of the time as the frustration is just too much - I’ll have my head in my hands whilst waiting for a solid 7 mins just to answer a simple yes/no question while the asker repeats themselves over and over AND OVER for absolutely no reason 🫠
This this this!!

So many times I have asked a yes or no question and got a waffle newer.

Now I say “yes or no…” and then the question.

On the other hand I have also asked questions that have nuance and cannot be answered y/n and have received that as the answer. I have had to say “this can’t be a yes or no, answer me properly”

• Haha
Reactions: 2
Last minute people:

Last week, I was requested by stakeholder A to provide a large amount of deliverables within 3 days. This meant I had to put my own work aside and work overtime to meet this ridiculous deadline. I managed to provide everything by Friday COB as requested. Fast forward, today Thursday is the last day before stakeholder A submit all deliverables to another stakeholder. They approach me at 6pm my time asking me to do some random modifications and state: "Kindly note, this needs to be done by tomorrow".

Excuse me? It is already 6pm over here and you had an entire week to review the deliverables I provided yet you're waking up at the last minute asking me to bend over and backwards? Unbelievable.

Somehow this has happened twice in as many days but people who don’t communicate clearly on division of tasks?

Twice now I’ve had people ask me on an update about an action I didn’t agree to. Just be clear and concise and no one gets hurt.

One of my co-workers is seriously starting to get on my nerves.

They dislike the role (I don't blame them) have discussed this with me. They've advised they have been looking for a job internally. Now, it's turned into them pining me every day with the following:
  • See the link - what do you think of this opportunity? It sounds great but I think the other one I interviewed for was better.
  • Today at 9am: Hey, just wanted to let you know my interview went really well yesterday
  • Today at 1pm: I have found another role but the interview went really well for role A so fingers crossed
I told them I had applied for an internal role too but got rejected. Their response was: "I have an interview on Thursday" and didn't even acknowledge what I'd said.

This person has limited work ethic and super self-absorbed. My tolerance is getting really thin at this stage. I'm swamped with work when they have nothing going on at the moment - I don't have time for this.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 3
Colleagues that give off a stale smell. Not B.O as such, just a rotten hum.
Maybe its those types who think they don't need a shower in the morning because they had a shower before going to bed. Minging.

• Sick
Reactions: 6

They dislike the role (I don't blame them) have discussed this with me. They've advised they have been looking for a job internally. Now, it's turned into them pining me every day with the following:
  • See the link - what do you think of this opportunity? It sounds great but I think the other one I interviewed for was better.
  • Today at 9am: Hey, just wanted to let you know my interview went really well yesterday
  • Today at 1pm: I have found another role but the interview went really well for role A so fingers crossed
I told them I had applied for an internal role too but got rejected. Their response was: "I have an interview on Thursday" and didn't even acknowledge what I'd said.

This person has limited work ethic and super self-absorbed. My tolerance is getting really thin at this stage. I'm swamped with work when they have nothing going on at the moment - I don't have time for this.
Next time they message about themselves hark back to your point. Until they acknowledge it. X

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Colleagues that give off a stale smell. Not B.O as such, just a rotten hum.
Maybe its those types who think they don't need a shower in the morning because they had a shower before going to bed. Minging.
With the energy crisis and costs going up, it’s gonna get worse, I already dread getting the bus and tram mid-week because other commuters don’t shower 🤢 and colleagues also douse themselves in Lynx and need breathe mints 😝 even Reception have been dishing out Polo mints to take the hint 😂

• Sick
Reactions: 5
I'm back with some real doozies.
  • Shared my screen with someone whilst we reviewed the content of a proposal together. This person hit the roof when they saw that I had the paragraph marks on display in Word (as in, the little button along the top that you can simply click on or off to hide formatting bits and pieces - returns, tabs, spaces and the like). They started ranting and raving, asking why I'd "put them on there like that" - when I politely explained - "Hey look, easily fixed with the click of a button," they continued ranting ... as if I'd done something truly awful! For the record, it's something I keep on out of habit, as when I'm formatting the document I want it to look as best as possible. I couldn't be bothered justifying my "actions" and feel seriously concerned that this person can get so upset over something so minor.
  • Smelly colleague issues here, too - including a lady who smokes and every time returns from one of her smoko breaks, sprays yet more perfume.
  • There is a lovely lady at work who is relatively new (and won't last because she is so lovely and mostly everyone else is awful and loathes new blood!), had a piece of shungite crystal on her desk to neutralise EMF; anyhoo, the lady who sits next to her took offence at this and accused her of performing witchcraft and reported her to management.
This is definitely one of the strangest places I've worked!

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 17
There is a lovely lady at work who is relatively new (and won't last because she is so lovely and mostly everyone else is awful and loathes new blood!), had a piece of shungite crystal on her desk to neutralise EMF; anyhoo, the lady who sits next to her took offence at this and accused her of performing witchcraft and reported her to management.
Witchcraft 🤣 please tell us what management said 🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Not a work thing, but many years ago we had an inspection from a letting agent who rather worriedly asked if we were into voodoo. I had no idea what he meant until he pointed at something on the wall, which was actually an ornament that my other half bought when we went to see the Lion King musical …

• Haha
Reactions: 11
I hate how two faced and bitchy people are in my team. I work in HR in a senior position and was talking to two others at my level virtually on teams. As I was talking through an employee relations case I had, I noticed them both typing away at the same time as I was talking. They were clearly talking to one another about me.

One of them doesn’t have a lot of technical skill, while the other does. The one that does constantly undermines me, self praises herself and makes comments about how she knows so much about employment law. I have discussed it with my manager’s manager and she’s of the opinion that this person has self esteem issues, but I’m honestly getting to the end of my tether. My manager is on maternity and isn’t being covered, but since she’s been off, the culture has been terrible and this individual just gives such a bad atmosphere off.

I’m just hoping she gets offered some ‘amazing opportunity’ and leaves, but she is honestly doing my head in.

• Sad
Reactions: 5
She was asked to remove the crystal as it was "making people feel uncomfortable."

Bloody ridiculous, especially since one of the owners has crucifixes all over the wall in her office - that might make some feel uncomfortable, non? I don't know or care if they're for religious or decorative reasons, but for goodness sake - let people decorate 'their' space however they want! I think some people just look for things to be insulted over.

The double standards are staggering. A new-ish team member got sent home last week for wearing a sleeveless top (it was a very smart blouse-top with a huge bow in front and cap sleeves but the powers that be decided it was 'beachwear' - go figure! Yet one of the managers frequently wears sleeveless mini dresses that reveal her shoulders in their entirety. Plus, she wears platform sneakers - yet when someone else wore very smart brogues (lace-up shoes that were very smart-looking with black and brown on the top, with white spongy heels), they were sent home to change.

I hate how two faced and bitchy people are in my team. I work in HR in a senior position and was talking to two others at my level virtually on teams. As I was talking through an employee relations case I had, I noticed them both typing away at the same time as I was talking. They were clearly talking to one another about me.

One of them doesn’t have a lot of technical skill, while the other does. The one that does constantly undermines me, self praises herself and makes comments about how she knows so much about employment law. I have discussed it with my manager’s manager and she’s of the opinion that this person has self esteem issues, but I’m honestly getting to the end of my tether. My manager is on maternity and isn’t being covered, but since she’s been off, the culture has been terrible and this individual just gives such a bad atmosphere off.

I’m just hoping she gets offered some ‘amazing opportunity’ and leaves, but she is honestly doing my head in.
It sucks. I have one next to me who tells me the wrong things, then has that look of glee when my manager pulls me up on doing stuff incorrectly. She also chats (via the softphone app, which has a chat function) with the woman who sits across from me, sniggering away most of the day. The woman who sits diagonally across from me, and opposite the troublemaker, told me she's had a gutsful of it as she thinks they're talking about her ... I wonder if they're talking about me ... who knows what's going on but you'd expect more from middle-aged women.

Most people are selfish - they're all, "me me me" and only care about themselves. Keep a wide berth!

Last edited:
  • Wow
I have a manager who sends global emails calling some people out on certain things and we are instructed to respond to their email saying: "Yes, I read and understood".

It's already happened on numerous occasions. What on earth is this? School?

• Wow
  • Sad
I have a manager who sends global emails calling some people out on certain things and we are instructed to respond to their email saying: "Yes, I read and understood".

It's already happened on numerous occasions. What on earth is this? School?
That's a bit far. But it is soul destroying when you send out emails knowing most people will pay no attention and just delete it.

Suppose this at least forces people to acknowledge and then there is "proof" they read it should there be an issue later down the line.

That's a bit far. But it is soul destroying when you send out emails knowing most people will pay no attention and just delete it.

Suppose this at least forces people to acknowledge and then there is "proof" they read it should there be an issue later down the line.
Then you go and set up a read receipt and amend your email title to "IMPORTANT" or "PLEASE READ".

You have to treat your employees like adults. This phrasing and request to me infantilizes your reports. Calling people out for doing something incorrect is fine, but it is all about the way the email is phrased. You can assert your authority without having such tone. Besides, responding: "Read and understood" is hardly going to prevent mistakes. It might make people more diligent on a particular item, but it won't prevent issues.

Reactions: 4
Then you go and set up a read receipt and amend your email title to "IMPORTANT" or "PLEASE READ".

You have to treat your employees like adults. This phrasing and request to me infantilizes your reports. Calling people out for doing something incorrect is fine, but it is all about the way the email is phrased. You can assert your authority without having such tone. Besides, responding: "Read and understood" is hardly going to prevent mistakes. It might make people more diligent on a particular item, but it won't prevent issues.
Oh I totally agree. I hate it when people treat employees/colleagues like kids and micromanagement etc.

But I equally hate sending emails that I know are just ignored regardless of how important you make it look.

ETA when it is soemthing directly affecting my team I tend to just book in a call so i have said it to their face. But when it's all department etc it sometimes feels like you might as well not send the email.

Reactions: 3
Do any of you have to submit timesheets for how long you've spent on certain pieces of work?

I've had one rejected from last week and the Project Manager who rejected it has told me I booked too many hours for the project that week. Apparently I'm not down to do that many hours. She annoys me at the best of times so it's really wound me up today. 😂

Um, but that's how long I spent on it. She puts in a duck load of 'urgent' meetings which all take up my time and that's before the actual work I do for the project. I really want to send her an arsey message along the lines of: "So do you want me to just stop attending all your meetings and stop working on this project then?"

She lives in another world.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.