Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time? #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
When someone leaves for the day, forgets something, about turns and shouts "MORNING"....

• Haha
Reactions: 25
Thank you for the shiny new thread, @Hope96 ! 🤗

I used to work in a place where meetings were banned on Fridays which, in essence, was quite a good idea as it gave everyone a decent chance to get stuff done ... but there were no exceptions for crisis meetings or anything of the sort, which was silly.

In the same place, our manager encouraged us to get up off our seats and go and talk to people - rather than emailing them - of course that's all fine and dandy in an ordinary world, but when you're dealing with people who'll say they'll do something only to later deny they ever agreed to it ... well, let's just say emails are handy to have in case evidence is needed!

A friend has just returned to her job from maternity leave and is having a hell of a time. Her workplace decided that they liked the contractor filling her role while she was off, better than her, so created a new position for this person that sits alongside my friend's role. The contractor makes little comments under her breath constantly while my friend is on the phone to people (they sit next to each other), and is holding back on giving my friend information during handover sessions (this other person denies that is happening). My friend has returned to work on reduced hours to start off with (leaving mid-afternoon everyday), which the contractor has been using to her advantage by "finishing off" things she says my friend failed to do (she's very vocal about that to all the right people), and organising team get-togethers (dinners, drinks, etc.), where she tells them all that my friend's head isn't in it. I've suggested my friend find another job STAT! My friend is well-liked and used to get on fabulously with everyone in the team, but when she went on maternity leave only a couple bothered to keep in contact, and have stayed friendly - everyone else has iced her out. These two said to her before she returned that they won't pick sides, which was the first time she sensed there was even any drama there! Hideous.

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 20
I don't know what just happened, but it's just downright rude.

I'm working on a project with a project lead. We had a call scheduled last week and he moved it to today. I opened the call and within 2 minutes, he says he has to take another call urgently but will try to dial back in or ping me. I waited 15 minutes and shut down the Zoom meeting (figured he'd ping me once his call was done - I wasn't going to keep the line open indefinitely as it was a 30 minutes call). He then just disappeared and never pinged / rang me again. It's been a couple of hours. Massive waste of my time.

• Wow
Reactions: 7
I don't know what just happened, but it's just downright rude.

I'm working on a project with a project lead. We had a call scheduled last week and he moved it to today. I opened the call and within 2 minutes, he says he has to take another call urgently but will try to dial back in or ping me. I waited 15 minutes and shut down the Zoom meeting (figured he'd ping me once his call was done - I wasn't going to keep the line open indefinitely as it was a 30 minutes call). He then just disappeared and never pinged / rang me again. It's been a couple of hours. Massive waste of my time.
That happens to me a lot by certain members of the team. I just dial straight out now and let them dial me back in. It’s so annoying and yep, rude!

Reactions: 5
When you've never given a colleague any reason to doubt your ability or professionalism and they ask you to so something trivial and cc your boss (as if that's the only way it would get done) In my line of work I see that all the time from mid level colleagues towards support staff. Hot take: you'll never make it to the top if you show those already at the top that you dont trust others to do the job they're paid to do.

Reactions: 10
We seem to be the only department who answers their phones. We get hundreds of calls every day and I would say a small handful are actually to do with what we do in our office.

And then when we explain that they've come through to the wrong department and we'll transfer them, we get huffed at down the phone 🙄 we've checked the Internet and our numbers are the only linked to our department so it's not like the wrong numbers are being displayed!

• Heart
I can't stand disorganized senior people who need to be given the same information multiple times. If you don't have support staff you need to make time to read your emails, absorb your calendar and check you have all info you need. It's infuriating when someone keeps causing chaos requesting meetings are pushed out last minute because they can't keep on top of their inbox or calendar.

Reactions: 14
I can't stand disorganized senior people who need to be given the same information multiple times. If you don't have support staff you need to make time to read your emails, absorb your calendar and check you have all info you need. It's infuriating when someone keeps causing chaos requesting meetings are pushed out last minute because they can't keep on top of their inbox or calendar.
My manager is exactly like this. Their office is an absolute state with files and documents everywhere. We aren't given correct information because they haven't read their emails and passed it on 🙄

Reactions: 2
People who say things like "can we get a quick half an hour meeting in the diary?"

It's either a quick meeting or it's a half an hour meeting - it can't be both! (I don't class a 30 minute meeting as quick anyway.)

Invariably it'll be from someone who's left something till the last minute and hence needs a meeting at short notice, so thinks calling it a "quick meeting" makes it sound more palatable.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
When our manager is asked to do something by our MD, or its in the monthly internal audit as a observation to be completed. And me and the other supervisor work to do the jobs we have to do, but the manager just says the jobs the MD has asked to be done don't need doing, or whinges about it.

He's the boss, just bleeping do it!

My manager is exactly like this. Their office is an absolute state with files and documents everywhere. We aren't given correct information because they haven't read their emails and passed it on 🙄
I feel like there's a senior person in every office like that and they leave you scratching your head on how they got to that level. There's a person at my office who is quite senior and never reads their inbox and will randomly snap to action and create pandemonium demanding updates, changing meetings last minute, asking for info they already got and pretending they're taking an active role in a project that is clearly moving forward without their input. It's very disheartening if your direct manager is that person 😔

Reactions: 7
People who set up half hour long meetings in outlook to discuss things, or send loads of emails back and forth - when a simple Teams call would have cleared up the issue efficiently in 10 mins.

People who make out that what they're presenting is very important, when in fact it's a load of waffle, with next to no substance or value add, dressed up in a lot of words.

Person A who sends passive aggressive emails to the whole team at once after there is poor takeup by colleagues of an initative Person A designed (usually a useless training session, and people are busy enough with the day job as it is)

Reactions: 3
Some senior stakeholder who just started in the company visited our office last week and asked me to send her an email to provide a breakdown of who handles each task for a particular portfolio. I did and a week later (today), she scheduled an "organizational meeting" with the team where she asked: "So I want to know who handles what for this particular portfolio.

She basically disregarded the email she asked me to send her last week (and I copied the whole team) and asked the same question during the call only to get the exact same answer from the team.

Absolute time waster.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Some senior stakeholder who just started in the company visited our office last week and asked me to send her an email to provide a breakdown of who handles each task for a particular portfolio. I did and a week later (today), she scheduled an "organizational meeting" with the team where she asked: "So I want to know who handles what for this particular portfolio.

She basically disregarded the email she asked me to send her last week (and I copied the whole team) and asked the same question during the call only to get the exact same answer from the team.

Absolute time waster.
You aren't valued by your workplace at all! You seem like you have so much to give, would you be willing to look for somewhere that values your talent? or are you just venting? (we all need to vent!)

Reactions: 1

Absolute time waster.
Some people don't like reading.

I had a similar scenario recently. A manager sent me a question via an email, I started to reply about 15 mins after he sent it, then noticed he sent me a Teams message asking the same question and also a calendar invite to discuss the same thing... all while I was replying to his email.

So I finished typing my email and sent it, thinking he'd thank me and cancel the meeting but nope, he just replied "I still want the meeting, as want to just double check things". I came close to declining with no reason, but I'm too nice!

You aren't valued by your workplace at all! You seem like you have so much to give, would you be willing to look for somewhere that values your talent? or are you just venting? (we all need to vent!)
It's very obvious that I'm not valued, isn't it? It's the feeling I get every single day. I'm certainly looking to move on to greener pastures as I've completely given up on them. I've been with this company for the last two years and it's to wonder how I lasted this long.

Some people don't like reading.

I had a similar scenario recently. A manager sent me a question via an email, I started to reply about 15 mins after he sent it, then noticed he sent me a Teams message asking the same question and also a calendar invite to discuss the same thing... all while I was replying to his email.

So I finished typing my email and sent it, thinking he'd thank me and cancel the meeting but nope, he just replied "I still want the meeting, as want to just double check things". I came close to declining with no reason, but I'm too nice!
It's was a bullet point email that literally looked like this:
  • TheGlossy: ABC
  • TheSkippy: This and that
  • TheDofus: Here and there
There weren't any long sentences. Just the name of the person + each task assigned. It wasn't a novel or a 10 paragraph email.

If she doesn't like to read, why is she asking me to send her an email containing this information? She asked me for it at the end of the day.

It's one thing if somebody asks you a question then decides to ping you to discuss instead because it might be quicker or difficult to express concisely in an email. However, it's another to ask something to a specific person get the answer, then ask the same question to the team over a call a week later as if you were never informed in the first place. It is very dismissive.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Is anyone else feeling burnt out by the social element of being back in the office. My colleagues seem energized and I just feel drained. The constant noise when I'm trying to focus on something, the inane small talk and endless interruptions. I'm getting nothing done. They all appear to be basking in it and I'm retreating into my shell, so it must be my issue?

Reactions: 26
Is anyone else feeling burnt out by the social element of being back in the office. My colleagues seem energized and I just feel drained. The constant noise when I'm trying to focus on something, the inane small talk and endless interruptions. I'm getting nothing done. They all appear to be basking in it and I'm retreating into my shell, so it must be my issue?
I feel like this too, everyone else is all excited about being back in the office and around each other and Im dreading 2 weeks from now when I will have to deal with all staff every day I am in. I have already told my boss I intend to stay away from people as much as possible and will be wearing headphones the second someone else enters my office.
They have already arranged 2 events for the first week we are all back in, I will not be attending either, I have a full calendar that week so am using that as an excuse.

Reactions: 3
My office closed permanently and I’m stuck working from home. I’d love to go back in but I know everyone would annoy me within the week 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.