Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time? #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I tried to cut back on communication with this lady who constantly overshares her entire life to me in work, then gets home and sends 3 minute long voice notes over sharing some more to me and texts constantly even at the weekend. Just started replying less and engaging a bit less in conversation. She’s really nice but she depends on me mentally for so much stuff, she runs every personal and work decision she makes past me and I like my own space tbh, it’s too much. Today she was messaging me across multiple apps and ringing me constantly because she hadn’t heard from me whilst I was working at home for the day. I feel so sorry for her but also I’m baffled by it

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 8
I tried to cut back on communication with this lady who constantly overshares her entire life to me in work, then gets home and sends 3 minute long voice notes over sharing some more to me and texts constantly even at the weekend. Just started replying less and engaging a bit less in conversation. She’s really nice but she depends on me mentally for so much stuff, she runs every personal and work decision she makes past me and I like my own space tbh, it’s too much. Today she was messaging me across multiple apps and ringing me constantly because she hadn’t heard from me whilst I was working at home for the day. I feel so sorry for her but also I’m baffled by it
Wow that is too much. I had someone who did similar. I was kind to her as she was off sick and no one else was bothering to check in. This then led to her being OTT similar to what you explained but not to that extreme 😳.
I have also tried to back off a bit and I just keep it short now and I don’t reply as often or as quickly, shes getting the hint (it took a while!) hoping you have a similar outcome

• Wow
Reactions: 4
I have someone very similar on my team…. Pre WFH she would walk round to my desk to ask me to read over an email or something very silly that didn’t need doing and she did this with everyone all day everyday and would then talk for a good 30 mins about anything BUT work …. She then moved this to teams when WFH happened and we’re still wfh for a few more weeks and she rings people all day for nothing! Anyway I refuse to answer now as it’s draining! I pick up some but others I don’t I now keep getting reported for this to my manager and they actually pull me about it like it’s not an issue they have a staff member spneding 90% of there day talking sh**** on the phone it makes me so angry 🤣

• Wow
Reactions: 3
I have someone very similar on my team…. Pre WFH she would walk round to my desk to ask me to read over an email or something very silly that didn’t need doing and she did this with everyone all day everyday and would then talk for a good 30 mins about anything BUT work …. She then moved this to teams when WFH happened and we’re still wfh for a few more weeks and she rings people all day for nothing! Anyway I refuse to answer now as it’s draining! I pick up some but others I don’t I now keep getting reported for this to my manager and they actually pull me about it like it’s not an issue they have a staff member spneding 90% of there day talking sh**** on the phone it makes me so angry 🤣
I sometimes put myself into do not disturb to avoid pointless calls! If it's important they'll send you an IM or email.

I sometimes put myself into do not disturb to avoid pointless calls! If it's important they'll send you an IM or email.
What annoys me about MS Teams is people ringing you when you are already showing as "red" and "in a call". It always throws me off when trying to talk to one person yet Teams sounds the ringer for the other incoming call! Bog offffff!

What annoys me about MS Teams is people ringing you when you are already showing as "red" and "in a call". It always throws me off when trying to talk to one person yet Teams sounds the ringer for the other incoming call! Bog offffff!
Yeah I find the statuses on Teams often lag, so it takes a while to show you're in a call, hence people ringing.

I find myself sending short messages to people who do it -- e.g. "I'm on a call at the moment". Some are apologetic whereas others reply with "call me when you've finished". Um, how do you know I haven't got another meeting straight after?

"Can I have a call with you this afternoon?" is another one I find annoying. It's pretty much always done by someone who's clearly looked in my calendar and seen I've got back to back meetings, but still wants me to have a meeting with them. Not possible until I learn how to clone myself.

Reactions: 7
Teams is utterly crap isnt it? Not sure HOW its possible but every update makes it worse

Now statuses dont update
It has an almost daily tit fit when a meeting pops up where it forgets my webcam and mic exist and proceeds to ask me which of apparently SEVERAL options I have when ultimately its all the same
Pictures dont show until i close it and delete all the cache folders.... this impedes my meme sending productivity greatly!

Not only the program itself but people just havent got a clue. All office meetings, i know, lets join with my mic and camera on. Never mind the fact 60+ people are now watching AND listening to me talking in cutesey language to my dog.... 🙄 FML!!!

In todays actual colleague annoyance... going into the office during a category red storm isnt big or clever. Dont try and lord it above me, sat happily at home with my slippers and coffee!

Yeah I find the statuses on Teams often lag, so it takes a while to show you're in a call, hence people ringing.

I find myself sending short messages to people who do it -- e.g. "I'm on a call at the moment". Some are apologetic whereas others reply with "call me when you've finished". Um, how do you know I haven't got another meeting straight after?

"Can I have a call with you this afternoon?" is another one I find annoying. It's pretty much always done by someone who's clearly looked in my calendar and seen I've got back to back meetings, but still wants me to have a meeting with them. Not possible until I learn how to clone myself.
God I hate that!. I also hate that people just call without messaging first regardless of status. My old boss (who was fired) did that and it would change my screen and put me off!. Thankfully new boss will send a do you have 2 minutes? Message before calling! .

When I was in the office the guy opposite me who constantly drum his fingers on the desk and bounce his leg against the desk. As our desks are joined I heard and felt it ALL day!! So annoying!

I love WFH. Dont miss sitting in the corner trying to avoid people on my lunch break then someone sitting opposite my trying to talk about work!. Literally led me to having lunch in my car to get an actual break!

Sometimes you definitely have to be cruel to be kind and cut yourself off a bit. My team at work is going through some really rough understaffing and other issues and some of my colleagues just need to MOAN ALL THE TIME. I am guilty of having joined in for a long time but I've reached a point where I know I can't do it anymore or I'll just be miserable every day. I'm trying to go for some kind of zen everything-is-ok without being a total killjoy in the daily ranting Skype chat but it's tough going 😂

I know ranting about work can be really therapeutic but after a point it is just rage and you're not helping yourself and it's just getting you down. At some point you either need to walk away or adopt a positive mental attitude from somewhere or you're going to lose your tit.

He's a nice guy but misunderstood by others so can be the butt of jokes so I keep an eye out on him because he does say things that can be misconstrued by others. I genuinely thought it would be a 30 minute call but it was close to midnight when I managed to get him off the phone! I'm the same as you I would probably text a colleague if they weren't in and I was fond of them but other than that I don't like speaking to colleagues over the phone outside of work. I cba for office politics when I am off sick and honestly besides this guy I don't think anyone noticed for ages! He told me one of the ladies we work with asked him 'where's the cute, little Asian girl?' Nice of you to remember my name after all the favours I've done for you. 🤣
The positive is that they think you are cute.

• Haha
1) Not practicing what she preaches. Your experience with life is different than mine, just because you are older, we did not have same life.
2) show off

In todays actual colleague annoyance... going into the office during a category red storm isnt big or clever. Dont try and lord it above me, sat happily at home with my slippers and coffee!
Ahhh the office martyr. Every office has one and they are normally the biggest brown nose and shirker.

ETA I mean that they normally brown nose the boss volunteering for every job under the sun that isn't their actual job therefore shirking their actual job

Reactions: 10
Probably been said earlier but I can’t stand men (it’s always men) who think they are better than they are. They can talk a good game but are actually tit at what the do. Somehow they are never held accountable. duck the patriarchy 🤣

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Teams does my head in - whyyyyy does it keep ringing when you’re on a call?!? And ringing and ringing and ringing 🤣

Soooooo glad to have found this thread!
I have many:
1) people that don’t extend you the common courtesy’s that you give them, knocking before entering offices etc
2) people that walk into your office and start talking to you without first looking to see if your free
3) people that have no work to do so come and see you and then just sit in your office even if you are clearly busy so in the end you feel you have to talk to them so you’re not rude
4) people with 5 minutes experience compared to your literal YEARS of experience trying to tell you how to do your job. Or suggesting things that you know won’t work because of XYZ but insisting it’s done their way and then ringing you to fix problem X,Y or Z that’s then occurred. Usually on a weekend.
5) people who ask you a question when they have the exact same means of finding the answer as you are about to do and they could have had the info quicker if they had just looked themselves.

I’m sure there’s more but these are the ones that have riled me this week.

Reactions: 9
Ahhh the office martyr. Every office has one and they are normally the biggest brown nose and shirker.

ETA I mean that they normally brown nose the boss volunteering for every job under the sun that isn't their actual job therefore shirking their actual job
Over the covid times work has taken a back seat for me in terms of priorities. I do my hours, they get nothing more.

We have to work 2-3 days in the office every week from next month, but if it snows on my office days i will just stay at home. What is the point! When I think back to all the dangerous conditions I struggled through to get to the office to "collaborate and network" as they say now... which translates to bitching in the kitchen about whichever poor soul they've turned against today.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Its really hard working with other people. I'm partnered with someone who loves everything on PowerPoint. I absolutely hate it and always say 'death by PowerPoint' . Im not spending my weekends making fancy PowerPoints when there are better (more interesting) ways of doing things.

I think that at interview when I said I'm great at working in a team I was lying 🤥.

• Haha
When people call to ask you questions about work when you're off sick. duck OFF!

• Angry
Reactions: 10
Going back to teams, I hate the barked chats. There’s one person I work with in particular who sends ‘where is x saved’ never a hi how’s it going or anything. Would you come to my desk to bark at me like that in the real world? Likely not.

The people who are in my office at the moment seem to feel some sort of superiority over others. I’m delighted for you petal that you had to get up earlier than the rest of us!

I had to listen to someone bragging on a supposed work call during the week that they could still fit in the same jeans from 10 years ago - I really dgaf & if that conversation had been in person I would have left the room, but because it was on zoom I had to try bring the discussion back to work matters as I couldn’t simply leave.

I have colleagues who do less in a day than I do in the morning & moan about how busy they are, while I laugh at how busy they will really be when I leave & they’ve my work to do as well 🤣 As well as the boss who knows everything and listens to nothing at all, and presents your ideas as theirs.

Seriously tempted to become a recluse 🤣

Reactions: 6
Older male colleagues who think I'm their secretary and can manage their diary because they can't use their Outlook calendar. Constantly asking why they haven't been invited to meetings that they have been but declined. :rolleyes:

These same colleagues would never go on any trainings as they think they know everything.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.