Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time? #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I can't get over how grubby some people are.

I went to a client site today and my client had to make a few quick calls, so suggested I go and take a seat in the (one and only) meeting room.

I opened the doors to be greeted to a table of dirty glasses, half-filled bear and wine bottles, chippie packets, rubbish, old face masks, tissues and a sad-looking fruit platter. This place doesn't have cleaners, so it's up to the staff to clean up after themselves. It was all probably left over from Friday night drinks, but who did they expect to clean it up? They obviously weren't expecting anyone to come into the office over the weekend.

When my client came in, his jaw dropped - he was furious. He led me to his office and excused himself to make a couple more calls; as I was leaving, I could see a group of very pissed off people cleaning the mess up ... I think he must've called the offenders back to sort it out! :LOL:
Our events team do this they ran an event once and left our entire building looking like a bomb went off. We do have a cleaner but she is not meant to clean up after events unless given prior notice so she can come in earlier. Events people when pressed on the state of place said it was nothing to do with them. It was still all there the next day until the handy man came in to rearrange the furniture and he cleaned it up.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 7
People who just want to chatter on literally constantly . I really don't care about your life story im here to work 😪
This is happening at my work too. Very chatty lady who doesn't just crack on with her tasks wants to chat all day but then flaps in the last hour trying to get work done and then sometimes gets upset about being "under a pile of work".
I'm trying to not make eye contact when she starts a conversation out loud to the room, else she turns and directs the conversation to you while you are trying to answer calls, emails etc.

• Sad
Reactions: 9
My whole day is regularly taken up with meetings, back to back with no time to get actual work done in between. Everytime I raise it my boss basically tells me I’ve a spare hour at x so should be able to get stuff done then 🙄

My boss also regularly turns up late to our abundance of largely unnecessary meetings, or not at all. Again, when I raise it it’s brushed away as if I’m being dramatic.

A colleague is being groomed to take over my bosses role when he will likely be promoted next year, he is absolutely not management material, the only thing he is good at is licking my bosses hole & taking credit for my work when I’m not there.

Also I was out sick recently with Covid; as far as I knew what I am out sick with is private medical information - yet I was asked at a team meeting on my return had I recovered from Covid well & told it was only a bad cold anyway in front of the whole team.

I’m counting down the weeks until I can resign

• Sad
  • Wow
This is happening at my work too. Very chatty lady who doesn't just crack on with her tasks wants to chat all day but then flaps in the last hour trying to get work done and then sometimes gets upset about being "under a pile of work".
I'm trying to not make eye contact when she starts a conversation out loud to the room, else she turns and directs the conversation to you while you are trying to answer calls, emails etc.
OMG i work with one of these & when she has run out of staff to physically talk too in the office she proceeds to her desk to ring round other staff members to talk about anything but work 😩 it’s so draining even listening to it! Then as you have said mass panic when a little bit of work comes in, we’re still working from home so she spends her time ringing staff through teams then will pass her work on a Friday to me as she’s not in on a Monday & it’s the most frustrating thing ever to watch her make calls alllllll day then hand me the work she’s not had ‘time’ to do 😡

• Sad
Reactions: 4
I'm trying not to rip my hair out every day at work right now with my colleague who is off on long-term sick. Though there's a promotion coming up soon and suddenly he's begging for work to complete at home and sucking up to managers asking what he can do to give us a hand - ie. doing tiny bits of nothing-work and acting like a bleeping martyr. Honestly I'd rather not have a bleeping raise at all than act like this much of a pathetic piece of tit for one.

• Heart
My office has an open plan ( everyone is on a long desk , people at either side, computer blocking us from direct eye line)

my boss brings up his carvery dinner from the canteen and eats it at his desk, while looking at his computer pretending to be engrossed in some important business. ( side note, he does sweet duck all and is renowned for it, and barely goes on the computer when he’s not on his lunch break) meanwhile there is a very handy canteen downstairs that is huge.

before you think oh he’s probably shy and has no friends god love him. Don’t, he is the most cocky fecker you’d ever meet. Mid 40’s and constantly goes on about how much he works out and looks fantastic for his age. He also has his pals he sits down at the canteen with every now and then and looks so comfortable with them. It’s just so odd when he eats his big plate of food 3/5 days a week 🤢🤢🤢🤢

it’s so unhygienic and makes half the office stink of carvery dinner. Just from him.🤢🤢🤢

I detest him 🤢🤢🤢

• Sick
Reactions: 6
I'm trying not to rip my hair out every day at work right now with my colleague who is off on long-term sick. Though there's a promotion coming up soon and suddenly he's begging for work to complete at home and sucking up to managers asking what he can do to give us a hand - ie. doing tiny bits of nothing-work and acting like a bleeping martyr. Honestly I'd rather not have a bleeping raise at all than act like this much of a pathetic piece of tit for one.
I bet the managers can see straight through his martyr act 🤭

Reactions: 6
My office has an open plan ( everyone is on a long desk , people at either side, computer blocking us from direct eye line)

my boss brings up his carvery dinner from the canteen and eats it at his desk, while looking at his computer pretending to be engrossed in some important business. ( side note, he does sweet duck all and is renowned for it, and barely goes on the computer when he’s not on his lunch break) meanwhile there is a very handy canteen downstairs that is huge.

before you think oh he’s probably shy and has no friends god love him. Don’t, he is the most cocky fecker you’d ever meet. Mid 40’s and constantly goes on about how much he works out and looks fantastic for his age. He also has his pals he sits down at the canteen with every now and then and looks so comfortable with them. It’s just so odd when he eats his big plate of food 3/5 days a week 🤢🤢🤢🤢

it’s so unhygienic and makes half the office stink of carvery dinner. Just from him.🤢🤢🤢

I detest him 🤢🤢🤢
I share an office too. The person next to me eats tuna everyday (straight from the tin) and then tosses it into our shared bin 🤢

• Sick
  • Sad
Reactions: 16
My “big boss” uses some quite annoying, wanky management speak. I once did a phrase bingo in a zoom and ticked quite a few off….

• Haha
Reactions: 8
My “big boss” uses some quite annoying, wanky management speak. I once did a phrase bingo in a zoom and ticked quite a few off….
Thats what me and a colleague do with our interim "big boss" who used to be one of us and fairly normal but now every other word is corporate wanky jargon

He spends at least an hour a day on some course or e-learning. Normally something to do with positive thinking etc.

5 minutes into a teams call either me or my colleague will message the other saying "I have 4 in a row already" 🤣🤣

• Haha
  • Heart
If something isnt done on work or not done 100% my managers way she takes it as a personal affront.

We are in our busiest period. Deadline for finishing is Friday. She is reviewing today which is far too late and we will be inder pressure to make corrections. Some of the comments are so stupid but also things she should have flagged way earlier. I am 7 months in the job and our busy period is an annual cycle so its my first one. I feel she has purposely withheld info until now to teach me a bleeping lesson.

I brought one point up with her today...that a process thay has worked all last year cannot now be brought up as an issue and expected to completely changed in 3 days. She gets that but is still annoyed and doesnt get why i am frustrated at this being brought up now! She is insane!

• Sad
Reactions: 2
People that avoid doing certain tasks and will busy themselves with other things until someone else does the unwanted job. That’s the spirit! 😬

Reactions: 5
I feel awful but this lady I work with shows me every single thing her kid has ever done in its entire life, even sends me pictures and videos of the kid after work and I really don't care.

• Haha
Reactions: 13
I've suffered with panic attacks but not had any for years and now i keep getting them when I go to work and other places , I'm struggling to sleep on a night, so close to leaving its making me quite ill, some staff are okay, some don't care or are really bitchy, not much, the other chef is making me extremely anxious always standing right behind me or do things for me, staff don't listen to requests about working and it's frustrating when I'm wanting to do things

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 4
When I worked in admin there was one other admin in the company. She was a grade higher than me as the person she supported was slightly more senior, that and she had a few more years experience under her belt than I did. She was present in senior meetings, so she always knew what projects and events were coming down the line and would put her name to the ones that would push her to the forefront (before I knew they were happening) She carried herself in an authorative way, which mgmt love in admin professionals. She was an outgoing person who signed up to EVERY volunteer/ social event. Think that fake friendly corporate type. I was never a threat to her, as I'm slightly introverted and was not pushing to be the face of the company. She would arrange a catch up to "align" with me, but used it as a way to find out what's going on in my dept (whilst avoiding discussing anything she was working on with me)

As the only admins I wanted us to be friends. I tried to give her the benefit of the doubt, but she'd run rings around me being my BFF one minute and aloof the next. She'd leave me out of meetings and emails, going over my head at every opportunity. She was highly regarded and I felt if would be seen as petty, if I mentionedit to my boss. She did always tow the line of professionalism and she was excellent at her job (so I often thought I was being overly sensitive) I eventually outgrew the role and moved on, but i regret not standing up for myself. I got excellent feedback from the senior leaders I worked with and as I look back now its obvious she saw me as a threat in some way.

Reactions: 11
When I worked in admin there was one other admin in the company. She was a grade higher than me as the person she supported was slightly more senior, that and she had a few more years experience under her belt than I did. She was present in senior meetings, so she always knew what projects and events were coming down the line and would put her name to the ones that would push her to the forefront (before I knew they were happening) She carried herself in an authorative way, which mgmt love in admin professionals. She was an outgoing person who signed up to EVERY volunteer/ social event. Think that fake friendly corporate type. I was never a threat to her, as I'm slightly introverted and was not pushing to be the face of the company. She would arrange a catch up to "align" with me, but used it as a way to find out what's going on in my dept (whilst avoiding discussing anything she was working on with me)

As the only admins I wanted us to be friends. I tried to give her the benefit of the doubt, but she'd run rings around me being my BFF one minute and aloof the next. She'd leave me out of meetings and emails, going over my head at every opportunity. She was highly regarded and I felt if would be seen as petty, if I mentionedit to my boss. She did always tow the line of professionalism and she was excellent at her job (so I often thought I was being overly sensitive) I eventually outgrew the role and moved on, but i regret not standing up for myself. I got excellent feedback from the senior leaders I worked with and as I look back now its obvious she saw me as a threat in some way.
This has happened in nearly every admin role I've ever held. Ugh; it's awful! Certain personalities are not a good fit for admin, EA / PA or accounts payable / payroll type roles ... having just a tiny bit of power makes their head swell.

-------------------

I don't miss the hierarchy of professional services firms. There used to be an absolute idiot who was a "Manager" in the tax area that I supported in an admin capacity. He loved to throw his weight around during work hours and was quite the pr*ck with his putdowns and behaviour.

Just one - very frequent - example: He'd get his minions to handwrite up an invoice, which had to include their workings stapled to the back. The staple had to be on an angle, or he'd either rip up the the pages or scribble all over them, and make the accountant do it again. Never mind that this was back in 1999 when we all had computers and they could've typed it up! So, they'd do it again. And if it was wrong - even if just one number was wrong - he'd scribble over it or tear it up. By the time it got to me to type up (so inefficient), he'd want to see several versions - sometimes he'd accuse me of using a smaller or different font; other times he swore the tab was out (it never was), and I'd have to do it again - often with him standing over me, with his hideous halitosis polluting my personal space. More often than not, he'd scribble on something, then write STET all over it ... as in, there was nothing wrong with it in the first place! I hated that job. Everytime I told my boss I was unhappy, he'd throw more money at me ... eventually though, I decided enough was enough.

Come 5pm on a Friday he'd be asking who was up for drinks and not surprisingly, nobody answered. He had a housewarming party and invited everyone (except me - he wouldn't be seen dead socially with a lowly admin type), and not one person turned up. I see, 20 years later, he's still a "Manager" - just at a different firm.

(I was just watching something on TV and the character reminded me of him!!).

Reactions: 3

I remember an office manager in a place I used to work who was a complete battle axe. You could not even get a pen from the woman without practically having to beg for it, and bringing your old pen back to prove it wasn’t working. Was easier to buy your own stationary!

• Haha
  • Wow
This has happened in nearly every admin role I've ever held. Ugh; it's awful! Certain personalities are not a good fit for admin, EA / PA or accounts payable / payroll type roles ... having just a tiny bit of power makes their head swell.
You've hit the nail on the head here. It's all about power for some. That same colleague asked me, in casual conversation, if I had stayed at a particular 5 star hotel. I said I hadn't, but that I'd had dinner there for a family occasion and that the restaurant was beautiful, the service was great but the food was underwhelming. What she failed to tell me was she was meeting the GM to negotiate corporate rates. She threw me under the bus and said "our other admin had terrible experience here" I found out when they called me for feedback, months after I had been there. I was mortified and knew then she was an underhand b*tch. When I told her I thought it was unfair of her to use my feedback in that way, her response was "well I can't have c-suite execs staying at a subpar property' it was a 5* hotel ffs!!!

I agree some let the power go to their head in these roles. Usually an overly competitive type, who thinks they're designed for bigger and better things than admin, but never quite managed to progress into a senior role.

Reactions: 3
Messaging me on teams when I am showing offline...EMAIL ME

Really pisses me off

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.