Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time? #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This week it’s been colleagues whinging about their workload (same as mine) when I’ve been doing double my usual work thanks to someone being off and I’ve just got on with it. That, and when people try to push their own tasks onto you then try to pretend it was a misunderstanding when management calls them out on it.
This is happening to me right now. We all have same amount of work, I'm getting on with it but 2 whingers in my team keep procrastinating then panic, do overtime then brag about doing overtime 🙄

• Angry
Reactions: 5
So my director said he had all the facts and figures for the big staff update. Ok great. So he did his bit thought it was odd he didnt mention any of my work but was keeping my face neutral on camera.
He then says off you go do your update. So I had to give an update in front of everyone, luckily I knew my figures and was able to pull it off but god it was stressful. My voice my shaky and I just forced myself to calm and get on with it.
He then announced we are getting new team member and other boss has been promoted, so I found that out with everyone else. Truly crappy thing to do.
Now Im wondering where they are going to keep this new person as there is not enough room for us as is.
Best bit was new staffer who keeps trying to take over my role telling us all not to try talk about a particular issue as we dont understand it. Maybe he should take his own advice. Cant wait for my Christmas break to start.

• Sad
Reactions: 6
I’m fairly new in post and am finding myself being referred to as ‘admin’, when that’s not my role title (and there is actually an admin assistant in the team…). It’s mainly one person (a women disappointingly) and I’ve just had sight of some comms with an external business where I’m referred to as ‘the admin person’.

This is bugging me, I feel like I’m being put in my place/not having my skills acknowledged IYSWIM. Not sure if I should pipe up and say something yet or see how it goes.

They are quite happy to pass work above admin assistant pay grade over to me though, which does amuse me.

Anyone else experienced something similar?

• Angry
Rude people.

Someone pinged me this morning to ask me how to do something. I responded and I didn't get a "thanks". Fine. They came back with a question and I said I'd check with the manager. They responded they'd check with the manager and I shouldn't bother. I then asked: "Ok, thank you. Let me know what he says because the might be other parts impacted". He never responded to either say "OK, I'll let you know" or anything of the sort. Very rude.

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 11
I’m fairly new in post and am finding myself being referred to as ‘admin’, when that’s not my role title (and there is actually an admin assistant in the team…). It’s mainly one person (a women disappointingly) and I’ve just had sight of some comms with an external business where I’m referred to as ‘the admin person’.

This is bugging me, I feel like I’m being put in my place/not having my skills acknowledged IYSWIM. Not sure if I should pipe up and say something yet or see how it goes.

They are quite happy to pass work above admin assistant pay grade over to me though, which does amuse me.

What is your role?

Reactions: 1
When you ping different people to ask them specific questions and no one is responding. It's almost as though everyone is willingly ignoring you.

Reactions: 4
Rude managers. I posted something in our work chat today after noticing an issue with a system we use - our manager usually takes a good 45 mins to respond to queries about things, so I just put a ‘heads up’ in the chat to alert people and a possible solution/way around the issue that I had found until it had been properly rectified

Just to get a call two minutes later from said manager. Saying that it’s not my place to make announcements, I don’t know what I’m doing, I’m more than welcome to do his job if I think I’m better at it, and that I need to learn my place in the company.

I’ve only been there two weeks and I’ve absolutely busted my arse for them. Worked 57 hours this week - including one of my days off, stayed past my shift finish time a few times to help catch up with emails. I work so hard for the company. I’ve done more hours in one week than most people have done in two weeks.

I deal with crappy customers all day and get enough abuse from them. Just for my manager to treat me like tit for trying to help people.

So from now on, I’m doing the bare minimum, keeping myself to myself, and only doing overtime when I want to, not when I’m asked.

• Angry
  • Heart
Reactions: 17

I would say - very sternly - actually, my title is X.

How rude and disrespectful of that woman. If you don't nip it in the bud now, she might see you as a target.

------

I chucked in my horrible new job last week (the one I posted about previously). I'd only been doing it for a few days but there is no way I could stay working with such mean-spirited people ... it sucked the life out of me and I was miserable. Things will never change, so I left. So ... it's back to an uncertain life of freelancing for me. At least it's a happier existence.

Reactions: 8
I would say - very sternly - actually, my title is X.

How rude and disrespectful of that woman. If you don't nip it in the bud now, she might see you as a target.

------

I chucked in my horrible new job last week (the one I posted about previously). I'd only been doing it for a few days but there is no way I could stay working with such mean-spirited people ... it sucked the life out of me and I was miserable. Things will never change, so I left. So ... it's back to an uncertain life of freelancing for me. At least it's a happier existence.
I am being nosy, but isn't the paper work complicated, when you change between paid employment and freelance work, I mean tax and NI wise

I am being nosy, but isn't the paper work complicated, when you change between paid employment and freelance work, I mean tax and NI wise
Not really. I'm in NZ so things might be a bit different? But no, it's fine ... I keep really thorough paper trails of everything for the accountant to work out at the end of each financial year.

I was recently tasked with onboarding a new starter who was doing the same job as me. He’d been with us for 6 weeks, shadowing me on some projects.
I had a weeks’ holiday coming up so we had a meeting where we reviewed the current status of 2 projects and what the next steps were while I was off. Halfway through this he tells me he’s on an induction course for 2 days while I’m off so he didn't think he’d be able to meet some of the deadlines that week.
No worries, I plan most of my projects to have some ‘wiggle room’ in them for unexpected delays, so I told him to go back to the original project plan, amend the deadlines to reflect a more realistic timeline and update the rest of the project team so they knew when to expect the next stage of work to come in.
Came back after my week off to find emails from the rest of the team chasing up on the work that was due that week. He hadn’t updated the project plans or told anyone he was going on a course. He realised I was online and immediately started shooting off responses along the lines of ‘we’ve had to move this deadline to X date now, hope that’s OK’. 🙄

ALSO, there’s one woman in my office that’s been in her current role for 2 years and seems to think that alone entitles her to a promotion to manager. She’s had 2 new people start in her team at her level and flat out refuses to help support them because ‘it’s not her job’ and then constantly rants saying that if they get promoted over her she’ll kick off because she was there first. In the meantime she won’t do anything more than the bare minimum but constantly moans at her manager because she wants a promotion and a £10k raise 🙄
I know you dont want to get mugged off by doing more work without the reward but she doesn’t seem to understand that just turning up every day for 2 years isn’t really enough either.

Reactions: 5
Managers who don't respond to emails.

This project I'm leading is driving me insane because of the manager. The manager led similar projects in the past, so she knows the ins and outs. However, whenever I send her an email because I can't fetch the answer anywhere, she simply does not respond. She doesn't even respond if I follow up with her on something she said she'd do. I really cannot cope because this project is full of roadblocks from people not doing what they're supposed to do and it stems from all angles. I've worked on numerous client-facing projects and they were a breeze of fresh air next to this lousy internal project. I'm due to be off for 2 weeks starting on Friday. If nothing gets sorted because no one is responsive, I'll send yet another project status overview and leave it to this manager to handle. They clearly don't care, so why should I?

I work for a tech start-up. I design things. A team of engineers build the things I design.

Who gets the ALL credit once the work is done? The team of 5 (yes, five) developers and engineers, or the ONE designer who is slowly losing her will to live? Honestly, I don't want a song and dance every time I do my job but I can feel the rage building inside me when my boss shows the work our 'team' has done but only credits the people who built it.

I'm not one to play the gender card either, but all the engineers are male :unsure: Doesn't paint a nice image for women working in tech, does it?

• Sad
Reactions: 11
I work for a tech start-up. I design things. A team of engineers build the things I design.

Who gets the ALL credit once the work is done? The team of 5 (yes, five) developers and engineers, or the ONE designer who is slowly losing her will to live? Honestly, I don't want a song and dance every time I do my job but I can feel the rage building inside me when my boss shows the work our 'team' has done but only credits the people who built it.

I'm not one to play the gender card either, but all the engineers are male :unsure: Doesn't paint a nice image for women working in tech, does it?
Next time he’s thanking them, have a little coughing fit

Reactions: 2

I am a tech engineer, and I am fed up of being asked when the engineers will be in 😡 what am I? Chopped liver. I thought things might improve in time, but they haven’t

• Angry
I had a director ring my manager today and give out that I hadnt done something in advance of a board meeting tomorrow. I had not only done the task but I had had a call with said director weeks ago on it and everything was settled.

My manager knew I had done it and told him so and I later emailed him explaining exactly when everything was finalised and even forwarded him the email I had sent and the notes i had from our call. I hate this crap...like there was no need for him to ring my manager directly. I am a manager myself and he has picked the phone up to call me about different things before. The response I got to my email today was "thank you". No apology or nothing.

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 3
One person was thrown a new title to get her to stay so her boss doesnt actually have to work.
This person has now got way above her station of late.
She told several of us to change our OOO messages to include a note that a thing she is responsible for will still be available over Christmas.
Nope not my department not my problem so not putting it on my message.
A colleague pointed out that some of us actually have to do our own work and look after several mailboxes so it would be stupid to add that in too.
That seemed to set her off and she is now going on about she doesnt want angry emails from people after the break. Again not our problem love. And if I do have any emails regarding it when I come back in 2022 they will be sent to the head honcho's.
She keeps posting messages saying how she did some of her work. The temptation to post Gifs of medals under them is getting too much for me.
Next time she does it Im going to list everything I did this week just for fun.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.