Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time? #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Why am I even employed at this place if people in other departments want to try and change my work all of the time at the last minute even though it's not in their area of expertise at all

Reactions: 5
People who talk about their children and babies ALL THE TIME. I really don't care. Don't care about the photos of her daughter, the dinner she didnt eat last night, the football practice, the swimming lessons... MAKE IT STOP PLEASE!

• Haha
Reactions: 23
People who talk about their children and babies ALL THE TIME. I really don't care. Don't care about the photos of her daughter, the dinner she didnt eat last night, the football practice, the swimming lessons... MAKE IT STOP PLEASE!
Or people who are renovating or designing a new kitchen/ bathroom. “What do you think of this colour”, “what tap should I choose?” OMG… just go AWAY!

• Haha
Idiot from last week walked into my office yesterday and said he was ready to start talking my calls and queries now.
And if I could just tell him how many I get so he can work out his schedule.
Yeah no. Thats my job and I checked that I still have it and you can stay out of it. I was polite but told him to not take any calls and not give any details in emails except for my contact details.
So either he is the thickest person on the planet or the most arrogant that he thinks he can just take any job he wants when he wants.
Will have to let my boss know that he is doing this and that someone high up needs to sit him down and put him back in his box.

• Wow
Reactions: 4
Some people are really out of this world.

A couple months ago, some portfolios were re-assigned by senior management to different project leads. It was the operations team role to ensure that re-assignments have correctly been updated in the system. 2 months later, nothing was done on their end and the senior project lead could not access their portfolio. I reached out to the operations team for them to re-assign the portfolio to the new project lead (something they should have done months ago) and I granted some interim access to the project lead for them to upload documents.

I was OOO yesterday. I logged in today and found 10 emails on the issue only to realize they literally cc'ed 10 people in the communication asking me to remove the interim access. They cc'ed my manager, his manager, the department head, my two other team mates, the current and former project leads and some people in the operations team.

Was it really necessary to cc' 10 people for an issue that wouldn't have come up if you had done your job correctly in the first place? I granted interim access because they didn't do their job and the project lead needed access to their portfolio to upload milestone documents ahead of the cut-off date. By the time the operations team reacted, the deadline had already passed. They're ridiculous. We're not saving lives here. Changing a name in a system does not warrant cc'ing the whole function. These people would not last in a client facing function for 5 minutes if that's how they behave for an internal matter.

I hate to say this because I despite being demeaning, but people in this company are by far the stupidest bunch I have ever come across professionally.

I am actually nearly crying at my desk at the moment because the guy across from me eats with his mouth wide open and the sound it makes is like a mix between a dog when you throw it a slice of ham and people snogging. I have hardly worked for the past hour because I can't hear anything other than him doing that, but I can't say anything without looking like a psycho. Its bothering me so so so much and he does it every day. He also does thr loudest sniffs, and wettest sneezes constantly. Soz if this sounds dramatic but I HATE nasal/oral sounds so much

• Sad
  • Sick
Reactions: 16
People who force you to cover for them when they're on annual leave, but if something comes up while you're away, they sure won't life a finger to return the favor!

Reactions: 8
I could write a book on my boyfriends work at this point 🤣

Hungover coworker from a few weeks back does 25hrs per week. They’ve all been told from day one that there’s no overtime unless someone is sick or on annual leave, your hours are your hours and you won’t get anymore unless the company absolutely requires it.
He’s been asking for more hours but less days, and when told ‘no’, he’s asked if my boyfriend (the manager who does the rota) could take some hours from another coworker to give him more hours!

The lad can’t even turn up for his own shifts, let alone someone else’s 🙃

When the new premises opens, I’ll be joining the business and I pray to God none of them lot are coming with us. They all absolutely grind on me. They’re constantly going behind each other’s back and slating each other, yet they all ‘love each other like family’ 🙃 bellends

• Haha
When someone says: "Just give me 15 minutes and I'll get it to you" - then a whole hour goes by and the deliverable is still nowhere to be seen. Smh.

Just sat listening to the sounds of the minger in my office smacking the food around his disgusting mouth and getting wound up by it and it made me think of another annoying thing which an anonymous person in the office does all the time.

Making scrambled eggs in a bowl, not even attempting to get any of it off before putting it in the dishwasher so it just stays crusted on to the bowl when it comes out of the dishwasher. There's only about 8 bowls here and at the moment 5 of them are covered in crusty egg. Whoever it is doesn't clean them when they come out the dishwasher in a state either, so in the end there is no bowl for my soup and I have to hand wash someone else's egg off a bowl. Surely you wouldn't put about half an eggs worth of scrambled eggs in your own dishwasher and leave it crusted on to your own bowls so why do it in work? :cautious:

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 10
Just sat listening to the sounds of the minger in my office smacking the food around his disgusting mouth and getting wound up by it and it made me think of another annoying thing which an anonymous person in the office does all the time.

Making scrambled eggs in a bowl, not even attempting to get any of it off before putting it in the dishwasher so it just stays crusted on to the bowl when it comes out of the dishwasher. There's only about 8 bowls here and at the moment 5 of them are covered in crusty egg. Whoever it is doesn't clean them when they come out the dishwasher in a state either, so in the end there is no bowl for my soup and I have to hand wash someone else's egg off a bowl. Surely you wouldn't put about half an eggs worth of scrambled eggs in your own dishwasher and leave it crusted on to your own bowls so why do it in work? :cautious:
Eggs should be banned in work.

• Heart
Reactions: 7

Such lack of thought for workmates is most eg(g)otistical.

• Haha
Reactions: 9

I used to take one of those systema microwaveable bowls to work when I worked in an office because the lazy fuckers couldn’t even be arsed to wash a teaspoon, so no chance they’d bother with the bowls!!

• Haha
Reactions: 3
When people just do a "decline" after you've sent them a meeting invite, without even adding a polite reason/apology and think that because you politely phrased your sentence, it means you gave them an option to say yes or no.

As the project manager, I sent a meeting invite to team members who will be involved in the project as their portfolios are in scope. This new joiner I invited just did a "decline" (no excuse or apologizing). Yet, I'm pretty sure his calendar marked the chosen slot as "free".

This person does not understand that when I politely wrote "I am kindly asking for your assistance to perform XYZ on YOUR respective portfolios blah blah thus setting up a meeting to discuss the steps", it did not mean "you have the option do or not do what I'm asking". There is no option there. Your portfolio is in scope, thus, you are involved by default. If you're unable to perform what I'm asking, then please let me know and we'll find options (provided your excuse is reasonable). Otherwise, just a decline as if this was a pick and choose opportunity, is not appropriate.

I'm not trying to be authoritarian, but this person is a new joiner and they should know better. They better no come to me a week later to ask me to explain "what they should do" when I'm chasing for an update / confirmation the actions have been completed. Smh.

• Wow
Right so I’ve got a new role at work starting in the new year which is a promotion. When I had the conversations around it, I asked the sales director who ill be reporting into what we do next. He said he lets my current manager know this is what we’re doing so that they can recruit to replace me etc. So I thought perfect I won’t say anything and I’ll wait to hear from him. It’s been a week since I know he was told and he’s not called me once to say I heard you’re moving or congratulations or anything. Is that weird?? I think it is but now I’m thinking maybe I should have said something to him. I dunno 🤷🏽‍♀️

The wannabe sale thief was let go at the end of probation haha. Failed to hit target once i think. No idea why people do sales who can't sale. It's not what i want to do forever. But for now I make a lot of money for not many hours. I actually make more than I did in my old managerial role with the same company. I love it. No responsibility either

Been at my new job a few weeks and all they do is slag each other off behind each other’s back. There’s only four of us and I constantly wonder what they say about me behind my back 😔

I don’t want to go in for my shift tomorrow and I’ve got job interviews lined up. This isn’t how I imagined my first few weeks going. 😅

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 12
When people just do a "decline" after you've sent them a meeting invite, without even adding a polite reason/apology and think that because you politely phrased your sentence, it means you gave them an option to say yes or no.

As the project manager, I sent a meeting invite to team members who will be involved in the project as their portfolios are in scope. This new joiner I invited just did a "decline" (no excuse or apologizing). Yet, I'm pretty sure his calendar marked the chosen slot as "free".

This person does not understand that when I politely wrote "I am kindly asking for your assistance to perform XYZ on YOUR respective portfolios blah blah thus setting up a meeting to discuss the steps", it did not mean "you have the option do or not do what I'm asking". There is no option there. Your portfolio is in scope, thus, you are involved by default. If you're unable to perform what I'm asking, then please let me know and we'll find options (provided your excuse is reasonable). Otherwise, just a decline as if this was a pick and choose opportunity, is not appropriate.

I'm not trying to be authoritarian, but this person is a new joiner and they should know better. They better no come to me a week later to ask me to explain "what they should do" when I'm chasing for an update / confirmation the actions have been completed. Smh.
That gets my goat, too. At times I've emailed to politely query why someone's declined. I try to make out like I think it must have been a mistake. :)

Even if someone tries to put in a meeting with me where I'm clearly busy I'll still decline by saying "sorry I've got a clash at this time".

My rant from today and it's relevant to this discussion... someone invited me to a two hour meeting on Monday for a project I'm not working on, and he didn't have the courtesy to mention it to me in advance and I'm busy for most of the two hour slot anyway. Not happening!

• Angry
Reactions: 3
Right so I’ve got a new role at work starting in the new year which is a promotion. When I had the conversations around it, I asked the sales director who ill be reporting into what we do next. He said he lets my current manager know this is what we’re doing so that they can recruit to replace me etc. So I thought perfect I won’t say anything and I’ll wait to hear from him. It’s been a week since I know he was told and he’s not called me once to say I heard you’re moving or congratulations or anything. Is that weird?? I think it is but now I’m thinking maybe I should have said something to him. I dunno 🤷🏽‍♀️
If it is an internal move, I'm not sure what your company policy states, but it is generally good practice to tell your manager once you get the offer. It's a difficult conversation, but it avoids misunderstandings and resentments. Your manager also has to agree on a transfer / finish date with your new manager, so they're probably already in touch, but it could be they won't talk to you until they've sorted the logistics out with your new manager. There's still some time left, so for sure, you will hear sooner or letter, but it might be worth being proactive and having a courteous chat with your current manager. I think it's bad form for them to hear it from someone else first.

That gets my goat, too. At times I've emailed to politely query why someone's declined. I try to make out like I think it must have been a mistake. :)

Even if someone tries to put in a meeting with me where I'm clearly busy I'll still decline by saying "sorry I've got a clash at this time".

My rant from today and it's relevant to this discussion... someone invited me to a two hour meeting on Monday for a project I'm not working on, and he didn't have the courtesy to mention it to me in advance and I'm busy for most of the two hour slot anyway. Not happening!
Haha - are you me?

I do the same. If I can't make it, I always politely advise as to why and usually suggest a more suitable time. It's courtesy.

Haha, the two hour meeting happened to me too two weeks ago! A meeting from 4.30 to 6.30pm on a Friday of all days. Ridiculous!!!

Last edited:
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.