Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time? #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve got a new report I didn’t choose and he’s giving away major red flags. They’re only obvious to me because I’m dealing with a narc ex so don’t fall for the bluster, but he did try and throw a member of staff under the bus before in a meeting and I think my manager noticed that.

The way he speaks about his girlfriend (belittling), his arrogance and his interest in my personal “love life” 🙄 Not appropriate to be asking your manager about their relationships on a whim! He just seems like one of those billy-bullshitters who wants to work on tasks where they can obsfucate others so they can do the bare minimum. I’m already keeping everything in emails for a record.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 6
I’m fairly new in post and am finding myself being referred to as ‘admin’, when that’s not my role title (and there is actually an admin assistant in the team…). It’s mainly one person (a women disappointingly) and I’ve just had sight of some comms with an external business where I’m referred to as ‘the admin person’.

This is bugging me, I feel like I’m being put in my place/not having my skills acknowledged IYSWIM. Not sure if I should pipe up and say something yet or see how it goes.

They are quite happy to pass work above admin assistant pay grade over to me though, which does amuse me.

Anyone else experienced something similar?
Yes something similar happened to me. I was a senior client manager and was taking over a new client from another client manager (not senior but that’s not the point). Asked him to send an email introducing me to client and he sent an email saying my assistant (my name) will look after the daily admin for the company! Not much I could do once email sent. Made my feelings known about the lack of professionalism in the email, not surprisingly it fell on deaf ears, which isn’t surprising when your CEO is a misogynist! I didn’t stay around much longer after that. Was not overly concerned about the lack of correct title but more so about the basic lack of professional courtesy

• Wow
Reactions: 4
I’ve got a new report I didn’t choose and he’s giving away major red flags. They’re only obvious to me because I’m dealing with a narc ex so don’t fall for the bluster, but he did try and throw a member of staff under the bus before in a meeting and I think my manager noticed that.

The way he speaks about his girlfriend (belittling), his arrogance and his interest in my personal “love life” 🙄 Not appropriate to be asking your manager about their relationships on a whim! He just seems like one of those billy-bullshitters who wants to work on tasks where they can obsfucate others so they can do the bare minimum. I’m already keeping everything in emails for a record.
You’ve just described an ex colleague of mine perfectly!! Worst kind of person to work with

• Sad
Reactions: 4
I work for a tech start-up. I design things. A team of engineers build the things I design.

Who gets the ALL credit once the work is done? The team of 5 (yes, five) developers and engineers, or the ONE designer who is slowly losing her will to live? Honestly, I don't want a song and dance every time I do my job but I can feel the rage building inside me when my boss shows the work our 'team' has done but only credits the people who built it.

I'm not one to play the gender card either, but all the engineers are male :unsure: Doesn't paint a nice image for women working in tech, does it?
You work in tech so you’ve probably seen this already, but if you haven’t, give it a read some time.

Oh no, how did that pan out?
Luckily he quit before any damage was done! The main issue I had was we were a small company, and he claimed to be HR so me and friend had no idea what we were supposed to do! He still tries to contact us now, and he left 2 years ago!

Reactions: 1
I have a colleague who kept claiming all throughout 2021 that they were so "busy" to the point of "burnout" and forced the manager to let them take 3 weeks off (annual leave) because they couldn't cope. Today, we received an email with an overview of the non-mandatory trainings taken on an individual basis during the year. This person had close to 300 hours of voluntary / non-mandatory trainings (we have a yearly requirement of 40 hours). Are you joking? It's to wonder what kept them soooo "busy" this year they almost had a burnout. If they had 260 hours to spare for voluntary trainings, then they surely weren't that busy.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 9
Have someone very similar in my team gets away with the murder but those above won't do anything as he is no threat to there job.
I hadn’t thought of it like that 🤦🏼‍♀️ Very true, if they’re not affecting them they don’t care. I seen an article before saying lots of office workers want to find new jobs. I’m fed up of mine, just need to get the energy to up-skill and look elsewhere.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I hadn’t thought of it like that 🤦🏼‍♀️ Very true, if they’re not affecting them they don’t care. I seen an article before saying lots of office workers want to find new jobs. I’m fed up of mine, just need to get the energy to up-skill and look elsewhere.
I'm in the same boat. Huge gender pay gap where I am too. Just can't seem to find the motivation and self confidence to go for a job that would be challenging for me. I think where i work has caused a step back for me. Iv been looking for a new role but not much seems to be coming up!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I bet you're glad to be out if that environment! I've been looking for a role as a customer service agent for ages but can't find anything 😕
Local councils are usually a good place for customer service roles prob not as good pay as private sector but I know mine is always recruiting for them

Some students in my class who tap tap tap there pens against the desks or there teeth making a irritating noise

One of team mates sniffs all the and its horrible on Teams meetings.He keeps saying coolio too. I cringe my way through those meetings.

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 7
Idiots calling me before 9 or after 5. If I'm logged in before or after my paid hours it's because I've got tit to do not because I want to talk to you.

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Video calling you on Microsoft Teams without warning or a meeting scheduled. My boss always does this and I find it so invasive and distracting. If I don't answer because I'm on lunch or using the toilet he'd send follow up emails.

Reactions: 8
Not getting recognition really annoys me. We had a massive system failure this week and everything was on our shoulders to pretty much make the hospital function. Big boss sends an email out to praise another one of her teams for something unrelated, do we get any sort of mention? NO!

Also said big boss emails all time telling us she wants all our suggestions and ideas on how to help our department run. When we actually give sensible solutions to problems we get shut down constantly. Now we just watch it all fall down around them, i swear our management has really run our dept into the ground this past 4 years. I wouldnt care so much but it massively affects us and our supervisors.

Reactions: 3
Not getting recognition really annoys me. We had a massive system failure this week and everything was on our shoulders to pretty much make the hospital function. Big boss sends an email out to praise another one of her teams for something unrelated, do we get any sort of mention? NO!

Also said big boss emails all time telling us she wants all our suggestions and ideas on how to help our department run. When we actually give sensible solutions to problems we get shut down constantly. Now we just watch it all fall down around them, i swear our management has really run our dept into the ground this past 4 years. I wouldnt care so much but it massively affects us and our supervisors.
I find it really demotivating when managers fail to recognise achievements. They're so quick to pull you up on something you've done wrong but can't take the time to praise when appropriate.

I just started a new job last November and I am constantly getting impromptu video calls from my director telling me off for things I've done / not done. My training consisted of him printing off a manual and handing me a spreadsheet listing things he'd like me to learn from it so I was thrown in the deep end a little. I felt so uncomfortable at work and his constant criticism has really affected my confidence to the point where I handed in my notice on Monday 😅 .

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 9
I find it really demotivating when managers fail to recognise achievements. They're so quick to pull you up on something you've done wrong but can't take the time to praise when appropriate.

I just started a new job last November and I am constantly getting impromptu video calls from my director telling me off for things I've done / not done. My training consisted of him printing off a manual and handing me a spreadsheet listing things he'd like me to learn from it so I was thrown in the deep end a little. I felt so uncomfortable at work and his constant criticism has really affected my confidence to the point where I handed in my notice on Monday 😅 .
Oh man dont even get me started on training. Management seem to think senior members of staff are unable to train as we might "train wrong" but managers who dont even do our job are more experienced. Picture the scene, manager and new start sat at a desk opposite you, manager asks you a question about the job(ie how to do the job) and then they relay it to the new start sat next to them. And thats just the tip of it. Madness!!

Talk about training. We've got a new co-orrdinator and she's decided without asking me that I should train and sbs some in our sales that are struggling with their targets. A. I don't want to do that. I just like to login bash through my clients and get my sales and logout. If I wanted to work in that capacity I could be back in the role I was in before having kids. I woulwouldn't as I work 15 fewer hours a week and make a shitload more money with my bonuses and then even more with meals and AMAZON vouchers on top when I win incentives. Anyway I said I wasn't keen but I'd do it on this occasion as I want to see these people pull their sales up and have a job still. So I said ok this once and obviously you'll adjust my bonus target to account for these. She said no... witch that wasn't a question it was a statement. Safe to say it's being adjusted. Mess with me and my wages at your peril you bleeping idiot.

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.