Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time? #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
There was a girl who did this in a previous company I worked for. She spent her days throwing other people under the bus hoping for a promotion. She didn't get promoted for 3 years and got promoted to manager once the rest of the team had left lol.
Unfortunately my bus-throwing coworker is probably going to get away with it and end up with a promotion when one comes up. The rest of us are just trying to get on with the work and have a quiet life hoping to wfh permanently, so nobody wants to start any tit about who has made a mistake. Everyone else just corrects things when they come up, and get on with it.

I've probably said it ten times, but people who really want to be managers are the last people who should actually be put in charge. Someone I worked with previously took on loads of extra responsibilities to try and look good for a promotion, got it, and then immediately dumped ALL of those extra tasks and left other departments in a really desperate situation.

At the end of the day probably the vast majority of us are not doing any life-changing life-saving world-changing work, so I don't know why people can't just come to work, do the work, duck off home and be decent to each other while we all wait to retire from wage slavery 😂

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 14
Unfortunately my bus-throwing coworker is probably going to get away with it and end up with a promotion when one comes up. The rest of us are just trying to get on with the work and have a quiet life hoping to wfh permanently, so nobody wants to start any tit about who has made a mistake. Everyone else just corrects things when they come up, and get on with it.

I've probably said it ten times, but people who really want to be managers are the last people who should actually be put in charge. Someone I worked with previously took on loads of extra responsibilities to try and look good for a promotion, got it, and then immediately dumped ALL of those extra tasks and left other departments in a really desperate situation.

At the end of the day probably the vast majority of us are not doing any life-changing life-saving world-changing work, so I don't know why people can't just come to work, do the work, duck off home and be decent to each other while we all wait to retire from wage slavery 😂
People who are desperate to be a manager of anything are the biggest snides. I try to be compassionate, but the one I work with is tone-deaf and consumed with being ‘a manager’ that they outwardly sulk. They act like they should be in management because they’ve been there a few years and others have progressed. The end goal is middle management and mediocrity doesn’t help anyone.

Reactions: 8
In my experience a fair few of the managers I've had tend to be utterly useless, but always deluded about their own abilities. I think what makes them succeed is they are full of their own self worth so when it comes to the interview they have no difficulty in selling themselves.

They also seem to strive because they know what to say and who to say it to. I think part of my problem is if I see a process or procedure that isn't correct I'll speak out about it, whereas the managers I've had would quite happily sit back and keep their gob shut because they seem to be utterly terrified of ever questioning other management.

• Heart
Pretty much everyone I work with now is on some crappy MLM diet plan.

I was forced to work in a room with someone who did this. He also had the volume up on his desk phone so loud that you could hear both sides of the conversation. We asked him repeatedly to lower it but nope he wouldnt. He is on a floor
below me now and with my door open I can hear all his calls.
Conversely - and I’ll preface this by saying I’m absolutely all for people with disabilities being given the same opportunities that anyone without a disability has - we have a couple of people who work on our switchboard or another companies switchboard that we contact regularly who are deaf and can’t understand you on the phone unless you shout really slowly at them. Surely there’s got to be a better place for them to work than on the phones!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
People who think "working hours" are just an informal constraint and your day stretches until 10pm.

I just received a meeting request 5pm-6pm this evening. I logged in at 8am this morning. It's getting declined.

Sick and tired of having my personal free time scarified every single evening over non-sensical requests. The more overtime I put in, the lower my real profit margin is in this job. I signed up for 40 hours a week. I never signed a contract that stated I ways handing my life over to the company.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
Make sexist comments on teams call and laugh like they’re sooo funny. ‘Oh you’re wife’s hoovering, shouldn’t she be getting you a sandwich’. MUTED, fucknut. I have the power 🤬

• Haha
Reactions: 12
People who think "working hours" are just an informal constraint and your day stretches until 10pm.

I just received a meeting request 5pm-6pm this evening. I logged in at 8am this morning. It's getting declined.

Sick and tired of having my personal free time scarified every single evening over non-sensical requests. The more overtime I put in, the lower my real profit margin is in this job. I signed up for 40 hours a week. I never signed a contract that stated I ways handing my life over to the company.
I read on insta, yesterday, that the Portuguese Parliament have passed a law making it illegal for bosses to text employees after work hours .

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I read on insta, yesterday, that the Portuguese Parliament have passed a law making it illegal for bosses to text employees after work hours .
France did the same a little while ago.

It's a rather good protective regulation in theory.

Ireland has this "right to disconnect" rule, but I mainly work with US and UK stakeholders and they don't give a toss about such regulation.

Reactions: 5
Text or call, yes. HOWEVER, they can contact you if a matter of utmost importance arises, which we all know will apply to anything. Looks good in theory but won't bring much change effectively.

• Sad
Reactions: 5

I have a similar issue. My contracted hours at 08.30 till 5. Our courses start at 08.30, with delegates arriving from 08.00. No point me rocking up after all the delegates is there - no classrooms open, no resources ready so I am in by 7.45 each morning. Our courses finish at 4.45, I then have to clear down for the following day and usually leave at about 5.15.

Do I get paid for my extra hour daily?? Do I hell as like - it is not even noticed, infact if I am not in by 8, people panic and call me to ask where I am!

• Heart
  • Angry
@PinkMariner This is terrible. Nothing worse than management micro-managing their employee by calling them and asking them where they are if they're not in by a specific time. Management does notice overtime but they turn a blind eye because according to them "it's your choice" to do overtime, when generally, you don't have a choice. No one works overtime because they like it.

I have to say, I am particularly fuming today. A few days ago, I posted about how some of our responsibilities were transferred to an analytics team and some analyst in that team did not deliver the work in accordance with expectations (extremely late and erroneous) thus leaving to the senior stakeholder in a tight position as their work depended on the work of the analyst. The senior stakeholder kept asking the analyst for clarification and I had kindly offered the analyst to show her how to provide the information requested. However, I was on training and advised the analyst of this, so my capacity was very limited. The analyst refused and was basically looking for me to respond to the senior stakeholder even though the analyst is the one who did the work. Despite my better judgment, I agreed and provided the senior stakeholder with the information. From my understanding, he subsequently kept chasing the analyst because he needed further clarification on other points in her analysis and the analyst kept chasing me during my training telling me this is not normal that he's chasing her because her analysis was clear (if it was that clear, he wouldn't have been chasing). He even sent her an example of what I did in the past so she could have an idea of what was required.

Anyway, he had enough of her and reached out to me directly saying that her work was poor and he'd like me to step in. He forwarded me her work - the work was so poor, it needed complete revamping as it was erroneous and incomplete. Despite the fact I was on training all week, I agreed to re-do the work because he otherwise wouldn't be able to move forward with his piece before today's deadline. This meant I had to sacrifice my study time for my training and add another 5 hours of overtime that night to provide an analysis that was no longer my job in the first place. Fast forward, I delivered the work at 10pm on the same day he reached out to me and the following day, I realize the analyst took off on annual leave and wouldn't be back before next Monday.

Now, it makes complete sense. So whilst I was drowning between a week-long training and supporting my projects during my breaks, she robbed me of an opportunity to study and to log off on time because she couldn't be bothered to respond as she knew she was going on holidays and wanted to get rid off the senior stakeholder. It may have worked this time around, but I will be escalating this to my own manager once he comes back from annual leave. I had a clear OOO stating I was on training and she kept pestering me and reiterating the same poor information to the stakeholder because she knew I'd step in. This is the first and last time. I'm not one to throw colleagues under the bus, but me being robbed of an opportunity to study for a training I was asked to added on top of plugging in 5 hours of unpaid overtime to help a stakeholder meet a deadline because she delivered her erroneous work one month late (!!), nope, I can't let this slide otherwise, next cycle, it will be the same story. She was hired to perform these analyses, it's her full-time job, she needs to deliver or else.

The worst part of it all is that this analyst is one level above me and therefore paid more money.

(For anyone thinking their place of work is the worst - I think this company is in the top tier for sure)

• Angry
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
I work in a toxic culture where the team leader influences others to dislike people and when we have new people they are corrupted into the same bad ways.

We had a lovely person start who now follows the group .I can hear their group chat on teams all laughing together makes a vile atmosphere. It is a shame when i started the job it was lovely. I do think WFH has encouraged some really bad behaviour as people message more in secret and start becoming bitchy .

• Sad
Reactions: 7
@PinkMariner This is terrible. Nothing worse than management micro-managing their employee by calling them and asking them where they are if they're not in by a specific time. Management does notice overtime but they turn a blind eye because according to them "it's your choice" to do overtime, when generally, you don't have a choice. No one works overtime because they like it.

I have to say, I am particularly fuming today. A few days ago, I posted about how some of our responsibilities were transferred to an analytics team and some analyst in that team did not deliver the work in accordance with expectations (extremely late and erroneous) thus leaving to the senior stakeholder in a tight position as their work depended on the work of the analyst. The senior stakeholder kept asking the analyst for clarification and I had kindly offered the analyst to show her how to provide the information requested. However, I was on training and advised the analyst of this, so my capacity was very limited. The analyst refused and was basically looking for me to respond to the senior stakeholder even though the analyst is the one who did the work. Despite my better judgment, I agreed and provided the senior stakeholder with the information. From my understanding, he subsequently kept chasing the analyst because he needed further clarification on other points in her analysis and the analyst kept chasing me during my training telling me this is not normal that he's chasing her because her analysis was clear (if it was that clear, he wouldn't have been chasing). He even sent her an example of what I did in the past so she could have an idea of what was required.

Anyway, he had enough of her and reached out to me directly saying that her work was poor and he'd like me to step in. He forwarded me her work - the work was so poor, it needed complete revamping as it was erroneous and incomplete. Despite the fact I was on training all week, I agreed to re-do the work because he otherwise wouldn't be able to move forward with his piece before today's deadline. This meant I had to sacrifice my study time for my training and add another 5 hours of overtime that night to provide an analysis that was no longer my job in the first place. Fast forward, I delivered the work at 10pm on the same day he reached out to me and the following day, I realize the analyst took off on annual leave and wouldn't be back before next Monday.

Now, it makes complete sense. So whilst I was drowning between a week-long training and supporting my projects during my breaks, she robbed me of an opportunity to study and to log off on time because she couldn't be bothered to respond as she knew she was going on holidays and wanted to get rid off the senior stakeholder. It may have worked this time around, but I will be escalating this to my own manager once he comes back from annual leave. I had a clear OOO stating I was on training and she kept pestering me and reiterating the same poor information to the stakeholder because she knew I'd step in. This is the first and last time. I'm not one to throw colleagues under the bus, but me being robbed of an opportunity to study for a training I was asked to added on top of plugging in 5 hours of unpaid overtime to help a stakeholder meet a deadline because she delivered her erroneous work one month late (!!), nope, I can't let this slide otherwise, next cycle, it will be the same story. She was hired to perform these analyses, it's her full-time job, she needs to deliver or else.

The worst part of it all is that this analyst is one level above me and therefore paid more money.

(For anyone thinking their place of work is the worst - I think this company is in the top tier for sure)
I'm actually fuming for you

• Heart
Reactions: 2
People who overstep boundaries trying to make themselves look good and hope for a promotion.

On Monday, I put an OOO saying I was on training all week this week, thus there will be a delay in response. Yesterday, I received an email from a team mate chasing on some report he has no business chasing on because it's not even his portfolio and he's only covering for the manager for one week. The manager is coming back on Monday and this guy is chasing on items that have nothing to do with what he's covering (and I know this because I'm leading the project encompassing what he's chasing on and there's nothing urgent about it because the roll-out is in December). He sent me an email yesterday afternoon, but with the training and other projects, I have not been able to respond because it needs further drilling down.

This fool went around and waited until I logged off at 5pm today and then sent me a "gentle reminder" afterwards. When he saw I was on annual leave on Monday, he escalated to my manager's manager! Nothing urgent about this buddy, you're only covering for someone for one week and I'm 100% certain they didn't ask you to chase on this. I really can't. Good thing I'm a civil person, because I'm about to implode.

I really need to leave this company. I shouldn't have logged back in!

• Sad
Reactions: 3
There was a girl who did this in a previous company I worked for. She spent her days throwing other people under the bus hoping for a promotion. She didn't get promoted for 3 years and got promoted to manager once the rest of the team had left lol.
HAHAH they are everywhere, did she also make a LinkedIn post thanking her father, mother,Jesus and her cat?

• Haha
Reactions: 1
HAHAH they are everywhere, did she also make a LinkedIn post thanking her father, mother,Jesus and her cat?
No, she didn't ... BUT .... during my whole time there she was hating on this manager who had the job she was aiming to get. She would literally tear her apart behind her back and complain to the management about her day in and day out. Fast forward, about two days ago, I see a LinkedIn announcement stating this manager moved roles in October and I see this girl posted a "Congratulations, well done". I left the company a while ago, so at first, I thought either she's being hypocrite or they're suddenly getting along. Then, I checked the girl's profile (the one who threw everyone under the bus including this manager) and realize that she took over the manager's role in October. No wonder she's "happy" for this manager who has now moved on. She managed to get the role she was desperately trying to steal from the manager. Smh. The hypocrisy.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 3
My god, you are all my people and this is my new favourite thread.

My issue is with busy bodies that spend far too much time nit-picking and criticising other people's work to make them look and sound good to the boss.

I used to think it came from a place of insecurity but now I think it's pure adulterated ego. This lady in my work works hours and hours unpaid overtime daily. I keep strict work/life boundaries and log off at 5.30pm. She probably gets through a little more than me because of this and then constantly makes little snarky comments and tries to make me feel like I'm on the backfoot or not as on top of projects as she is. Like sorry love, but get a bloody life.

Reactions: 11
I work with a colleague who is "pick meeeeee! Pick meeeeeee" to our line manager over everything.

Also she thinks she is the Oracle over everything and that the rest of us are simpletons. Someone mutters out loud that their Excel sheet is glitching or their email client is misbehaving and she's over to your desk like a shot, trying to teach you about basic functions. All I said the other day was "oh, stop glitching, Excel" and before I know it she's hovering over me trying to "diagnose the issue". I need to learn to stop saying anything under my breath in the office, it seems 🙄 I am IT literate and quite "with it", I was just muttering something to myself FGS.

In every single job I've ever had there's been at least one co-worker who thinks they're a cut above and even though they're the same grade as everyone else just seem to love trying to boss people about and tattle telling to the manager. I work from home in my current job and it's bliss as it's really taken the wind out of their sails to be able to do this

Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.