Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time? #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Yet, they ask us to put our cameras on because having it off is a "disrespect". Well, it's not any more disrespectful than someone playing with their phone surely!
I have to sit in a lot of departmental meetings that are 90% irrelevant to my work, so I just sit with the camera off so nobody sees me looking bored or not listening - imo that's far more respectful than sitting on your phone on camera! Some people just have not figured out how to continue being professional and polite while at home. Some of my colleagues are unbelievably rude on video calls as if it's any different to being face-to-face.

Reactions: 6
Not so much my colleagues, rather a team that we work very closely with, but they are adamant that we’re to blame for projects not running as fast as they would like, or not in the way they would like. Thing is, if you don’t tell us what you want, we won’t know so half our time is spent trying to establish what we’re actually doing. Secondly, we bound by laws so unfortunately we can’t just complete these projects the way they want us to, we have to follow the law. Yet everything is still our fault. So bloody annoying, I spend more time in meetings being shouted at than actually doing the work, yet they won’t realise that they are the blockers!!!

Reactions: 5
I need to add:

People who are eager to ask you to provide them for performance feedback, but who can't be bothered to return the favor when you ask them for feedback. I have two people who asked me for feedback and I gave them their feedback within a couple of days. Meanwhile, they've left my requests pending for 2+ months.

One chef is completely incompant, everyone's complained but doesn't seem to do anything about him, he's been there a long time and is around 60. he constantly takes short cuts doesn't probe food so send out half cooked chicken luckily I noticed it, other day he went to put garlic bread back in the tub after it was on floor for a few minutes he got caught by the foh staff, other day he wouldn't help at all was more arsed about doing the buffet that wasn't needed til 9pm he spent the whole day doing this when he was told he could have help by the kitchen manager had to get another chef to come in a few hours early to help as i were rushed with orders with the early kickoff on the football, he stands over me washing pots and opens the dishwasher when I'm stood there doing the pots and making food and it's so uncomfortable, he tells me not do things to clean up or just get things done, he's hygiene is grim coughs and sneezes doesn't wash his hands, the kitchen always a huge mess when he's in and it's so frustrating, so forgetful, the other day he kept opening fridges or the hot drawers I was next to but not saying excuse me or can I get in the draw, messes up food alot by putting wrong sauces, half frozen sauce (we have pictures of how it should look and a spec book with step by step if it's needed), doesn't talk tried to make conversation but get nothing back, he ment to get hour break the other day he took an hour and half wasnt impressed when it was around our busy hour I have to work with him tonight 😒least I'm off for two days after this 😊

Last edited:
  • Sad
One chef is completely incompant, everyone's complained but doesn't seem to do anything about him, he's been there a long time and is around 60. he constantly takes short cuts doesn't probe food so send out half cooked chicken luckily I noticed it, other day he went to put garlic bread back in the tub after it was on floor for a few minutes he got caught by the foh staff, other day he wouldn't help at all was more arsed about doing the buffet that wasn't needed til 9pm he spent the whole day doing this when he was told he could have help by the kitchen manager had to get another chef to come in a few hours early to help as i were rushed with orders with the early kickoff on the football, he stands over me washing pots and opens the dishwasher when I'm stood there doing the pots and making food and it's so uncomfortable, he tells me not do things to clean up or just get things done, he's hygiene is grim coughs and sneezes doesn't wash his hands, the kitchen always a huge mess when he's in and it's so frustrating, so forgetful, the other day he kept opening fridges or the hot drawers I was next to but saying excuse me or can I get in the draw, messes up food alot by putting wrong sauces, half frozen sauce (we have pictures of how it should look and a spec book with step by step if it's needed), doesn't talk tried to make conversation but get nothing back, he ment to get hour break the other day he took an hour and half wasnt impressed when it was around our busy hour I have to work with him tonight 😒least I'm off for two days after this 😊
Ew. I need to re-think as to whether I ever want to eat out again after reading this.

Reactions: 7
Bloody hell this new guy is really annoying me now. He keeps emailing me and asking when I am going to do things. We do not work in the same department. He has no clue what I do and he keeps dragging a director into the emails. The director in question is not who I answer to nor is he in charge of the department this idiot keeps sticking his nose into.
My reply was clear and consise I did my job properly, you misread the information and the actual issue is not my department . The director will know Im pissed off as I signed it kind regards thats me saying piss off 😁

• Haha
Bloody hell this new guy is really annoying me now. He keeps emailing me and asking when I am going to do things. We do not work in the same department. He has no clue what I do and he keeps dragging a director into the emails. The director in question is not who I answer to nor is he in charge of the department this idiot keeps sticking his nose into.
My reply was clear and consise I did my job properly, you misread the information and the actual issue is not my department . The director will know Im pissed off as I signed it kind regards thats me saying piss off 😁
I had that once, I don't understand why some people like to copy everyone in (especially people you don't report to), it just means things can get messy and lots of meddling.

Reactions: 4
Constantly continue doing things wrong even though I've made a literal "how to" manual and sent it round to everyone numerous times. When I then send polite emails reminding people of the correct procedure (because I've just spent an age clearing up the mistake they've made) they deny all knowledge and say "I was never shown or told that we had to do that". I refer them to the help manual and they say "can I have another copy? I lost mine".

Do you want me to spend your bleeping wages for you as well as earn them for you?

• Haha
Some companies don't have a clue what they are doing.

My job entails providing detailed portfolio analysis to some senior stakeholders. Management decided this was no longer part of our job and re-assigned this task to a specific analytics team. Now, the analytics team is getting queries on clarification from senior stakeholders on their portfolio analyses and the analytics team forwards these requests to us to help them out. I'm all for helping people, but if you remove a task from our remit and then I need to provide support on clarifications regarding work done by someone else, so it takes me double the time to investigate what was done by the analytics team to provide an answer to any question... then might as well keep doing the work myself. It's not a good process at all.

I just spent an hour worth of overtime trying to figure our a query for someone despite me telling them I'm on training the entire week and I have no capacity to assist. Smh.

Reactions: 3
People who try to play dumb.

I specifically indicated in my OOO: "I will be on training this week (8/11-12/11), please expect some delay in my response".

Some person from my team kept pestering me on Skype this afternoon because they needed my help "urgently" despite me telling them I was on training. They said they thought my "OOO was an old OOO". Is this a joke? The dates are indicated. How is this an old OOO?

Instead of searching for the answer themselves (it's right there on the pivot), they wanted me to do the work for them. I politely gave them a hand, but they obviously had to compose the email response to the stakeholder themselves as I have no interaction with the stakeholder (all I did was pull, filter and format the data because they didn't know how to do it). Instead, they asked me to respond to the stakeholder myself when it's not my job in the first place. It's not my work, it's theirs. They ask for help then end up dropping the whole task on you and this person is one level higher than I am. Shocking.

Last edited:
  • Sad
People who try to play dumb.

I specifically indicated in my OOO: "I will be on training this week (8/11-12/11), please expect some delay in my response".

Some person from my team kept pestering me on Skype this afternoon because they needed my help "urgently" despite me telling them I was on training. They said they thought my "OOO was an old OOO". Is this a joke? The dates are indicated. How is this an old OOO?

Instead of searching for the answer themselves (it's right there on the pivot), they wanted me to do the work for them. I politely gave them a hand, but they obviously had to compose the email response to the stakeholder themselves as I have no interaction with the stakeholder (all I did was pull, filter and format the data because they didn't know how to do it). Instead, they asked me to respond to the stakeholder myself when it's not my job in the first place. It's not my work, it's theirs. They ask for help then end up dropping the whole task on you and this person is one level higher than I am. Shocking.
I have made a realisation recently that sometimes you have to let inept people fail so that they can learn to get better at their job/ be pulled up on their mistakes rather relying on kindness of efficient workers like yourself and riding on your coattails. Too often I have helped lazy people out and it costs me stress.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
God I'm really losing my tit. There's only a few weeks to go before my unbearable pregnant coworker leaves but holy tit I'm so tired of her. Like I found myself looking for new jobs before calming myself down and remembering she's gone soon 😂

It's just bleeping constant. Leaving early every day and dumping all her work on everyone else including her on-call days, "vaguebooking" everyone in group chats about constant hospital appointments and tests and "problems", every team meeting starts with ten minutes of her talking about her pregnancy or her hospital bag or some other tit, I'm so tired of it. All the management act like she is some kind of superhuman angel for "working so hard" while she's pregnant and I'm like IS SHE duck! WE'RE DOING IT ALL FOR HER!

Pray for me I can make it a couple more weeks 😂

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 11
Constantly continue doing things wrong even though I've made a literal "how to" manual and sent it round to everyone numerous times. When I then send polite emails reminding people of the correct procedure (because I've just spent an age clearing up the mistake they've made) they deny all knowledge and say "I was never shown or told that we had to do that". I refer them to the help manual and they say "can I have another copy? I lost mine".

Do you want me to spend your bleeping wages for you as well as earn them for you?
Wait, are you....me??

Reactions: 1
Have wfh for 18 months or more now. Management have been awful. Practically covid deniers. While working here I was in hospital seriously ill and they would txt me to ask how to do things so I have absolutely no doubt they wouldnt care if anyone died of covid due to the way they go on.
Everyone on the team is stressed and routinely falls out. I try to stay out of it but I am one of those types where if you cross me that's it, no going back. These ppl however are not. So spend a whole day moaning about 1 specific person, then 2 days later they are arranging a birthday get together for them.
Its just led me to hate them all and second guess everything I say to them. Its an awful environment to be in. Ive considered leaving, I even have a job offer but the money isnt enough and its depressing AF 😔
Maybe I get paid more to deal with this misery?? 😂

• Sad
  • Angry
So it got worse with my idiot colleague. Because he wants to show how great he is at everything he decided the best option was to completely remove someone from their correct status to something else because that works better for him.
And this time including an extra person to show me up to. So I repiled saying not to touch my work as it was correct and pointed out that he obviously did not undestand the levels politely and if he touched it it would affect several departments. I included my manager in it as 2 can play that game.
Someone else finally chipped in and said I was correct and it was a system error that he was reading and not understanding.
I spoke to my manager about him and said Im not happy being reported like this, it seems he has done it to her as well so his thing is to go around thinking he is solving everything and pointing this out to upper management. He wont make many friends like that. Next time he does it Im including my director too. And if he keeps doing it I will include them all and the board too!

• Wow
So it got worse with my idiot colleague. Because he wants to show how great he is at everything he decided the best option was to completely remove someone from their correct status to something else because that works better for him.
And this time including an extra person to show me up to. So I repiled saying not to touch my work as it was correct and pointed out that he obviously did not undestand the levels politely and if he touched it it would affect several departments. I included my manager in it as 2 can play that game.
Someone else finally chipped in and said I was correct and it was a system error that he was reading and not understanding.
I spoke to my manager about him and said Im not happy being reported like this, it seems he has done it to her as well so his thing is to go around thinking he is solving everything and pointing this out to upper management. He wont make many friends like that. Next time he does it Im including my director too. And if he keeps doing it I will include them all and the board too!
My husband had this once, an upstart at his work decided to highlight people's errors to managers when the lad himself was a walking disaster area of errors. He made no friends and everyone had nicknames for him behind his back. He really was a piece of work who thought he could bully managers by trying to show them up. In reality his role was to be an assistant to a team. Ideas above his station.

• Wow
People with sudden memory loss.

A couple of months ago, I did performed inputs in the system which was to be verified by the senior stakeholder before they submitted it to their own manager for approval in order for it to feed into another tracking system. I specifically asked the senior stakeholder to confirm the correctness of one specific input as I did not have the information available to me and this person was the one in charge of obtaining this information. This confirmation was requested and provided via email.

Fast forward, a couple months later, it appears the specific input I had a doubt about was indeed incorrect and now the senior stakeholder reverting back cc'ing my manager's manager asking as to where the correct information can be found. Is this a joke? I have the email trail where this senior stakeholder told me it was all OK including this specific field.

My husband had this once, an upstart at his work decided to highlight people's errors to managers when the lad himself was a walking disaster area of errors. He made no friends and everyone had nicknames for him behind his back. He really was a piece of work who thought he could bully managers by trying to show them up. In reality his role was to be an assistant to a team. Ideas above his station.
Some people seem to think walking around loudly pointing out everyone's errors is a fast track to a promotion :rolleyes:

Reactions: 4
Some people seem to think walking around loudly pointing out everyone's errors is a fast track to a promotion :rolleyes:
There was a girl who did this in a previous company I worked for. She spent her days throwing other people under the bus hoping for a promotion. She didn't get promoted for 3 years and got promoted to manager once the rest of the team had left lol.

I had a manager who was clueless.

to be fair we were working in a really difficult area. But she was super outgoing and friendly. The guy above her, our team manager, took her under his wing because she was likeable. This just meant she never learned or bother to learn her own job.

I was a new-starter At the time and trying to get my bearings. Anytime I asked her a Q it was “I don’t know, maybe try X”.

if someone sent us both an email, she’d ask me to reply with something meaningful. Even when I didn’t have a clue.

when I did a piece of work, I asked her to review it. She didn’t bother and just passed it on to someone else to have a look at.

she asked me to present projects in her stead under the guise of it being good development for me. In reality it was because she didn’t have a clue about the topic. She passed off a lot of my work as her own. This was someone getting paid about £10K more than me.

it was annoying AF to deal with, but the worst part is I struggled to get a good grasp because she was the person I was supposed to go to for everything and she was clueless. It made my performance worse.

I ended up leaving my job because of it.

• Sad
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.