Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

mindlessness

VIP Member
Agreed, some people on here think that working in healthcare needs to be this all-consuming passion that you selflessly dedicate yourself to, which is fair enough as it's a common stereotype that people have. But it's that kind of attitude that leads to the poor retention rates of medics in this country and a having a fairly balanced attitude to it like ali does seems healthier.
I agree, but on the flip side, I don’t think Ali is ever going to be that person.
I don’t think he’s good at balance.

JohnMasters

He's in the UK so has to adhere to ASA regulations rather than FTC:

Basically the viewer needs to be able to tell it's an ad before they click on the video to watch (ie. AD needs to be in the title/thumbnail). So many influencers don't do this :rolleyes:

You can report UK influencers here: https://www.asa.org.uk/make-a-complaint.html
Sorry but that seems completely unreasonable. Why would UK youtubers have to basically nuke their channels just cause some random authority decided that when other youtubers don't? What if someone moves abroad and it takes 5 years to get citizenship in that respective country? Would they have to use "#AD" in their thumbnails for 5 years just because their citizenship is UK? Or what if 80% of their audience was US-based? It seems more than reasonable to have disclosure in the description, via the pop-up and spoken within the video. Don't really care that it's "law" in the UK, it's a stupid law. The video isn't an ad, it just contains a 50 second ad that is properly disclosed. You'd have to be an absolute imbecile to not figure out the video contains a sponsorship after it was disclosed in 3 places including via spoken word. The idea is not to present a product/service like you're genuinely using it when in actuality you were paid to do so and it seems absolutely ok to disclose it according to FTC regulations.

Hasanah123

VIP Member
So he laugjed in the latest vid and said he doesnt sleep at 10.30 as it will affect his social life....i thougjt he didnt have one?!?!?

Also, doesnt he go on about waking up early? He said theres no way he'll wake up 6.30 and starting his work at 8 am is 'doable' what an idiot

mindlessness

VIP Member
As a binge watcher of many actual tech reviewers (as "wannabe" Ali will never be), I'm quite unsensitive to a rich person having a whole bunch of stuff they don't need...

Like, what should he do with them? Donate them and give 4 random viewers a new computer?

Tbf, not that impactful on the world.

Also

After seeing the new video, I think he is suffering from his current life and will suddenly convert to the gentle productivity a la D'Avella / Blakely
Well, given he isn't a tech reviewer, I'd say he should decline the offer of free equipment he doesn't need. Or yes, donate his spare equipment to students from low income backgrounds etc.

kaede

Ehh I don’t think he is on the spectrum. He pivots topics too opportunistically for “productivity” to be his special interest. He’s just a clout chaser who thinks the nice guy/incel-adjacent persona is the best way to do it without blow back. And he’s not wrong… this is one of the only spaces on the internet actively calling out how toxicity.

mindlessness

VIP Member
So, he is still recycling content, eh?
🙄An eye roll reaction would be ideal for this thread. Ha!

Edited to add, of course he glosses over the way the book discusses people living pay check to pay check ‘disparagingly’. yikes. i have no desire to read a book that has that sort of view of people.

Long time ~ periodic ~ lurker here. I actually liked Ali. In fact, I even signed up to SkillShare and watched his Anki tutorials - quite good tbf. But the lines between Ali Abdaal (individual) and Ali Abdaal (the brand) are becoming blurred. The constant spammy, emoji riddled threads - clearly not written by him, but outsourced - are really eroding his authenticity. And I definitely think he is on the spectrum! Do you guys think he's a virgin?

Welshgal

VIP Member
Props to everyone who watched the video. I couldn‘t get passed the first 3 minutes as I found it so awkward 🙄

JohnMasters

He's making about £4k a week from YouTube right now which isn't bad but when you think he was trying to run a central London office plus about 10 staff with those figures....
He's still got sponsorships and the shitty courses. Although sponsors are getting stranger and stranger. First it was Brilliant and edu stuff, now it's mattresses and supplements. Like honestly how many UK-only mattress sales are gonna come from an Abdaal video? Almost convinced this is money down the drain for these companies.

Hasanah123

VIP Member
OMG, Sheen must be the girl he is dating, how is she staying over his place and she is there when he is waking up? In her podcast video he said I'll cook for you, she came back for his birthday, and now shes waking up in his house during her birthday not sure if it was before or after her birthday. What girl would except that from her boyfriend?

Dont think any girlfriend would allow another girl waking up at her boyfriends place and him cooking for another girl and spending that much time with her

hollowcrown

Chatty Member
She is stunning but looks boring as a brick. Wonder when she will quit medicine to go work in his "business".

The weird part of all of this is that Ali lives with his brothers gf. The living arrangements these people get into are just mind boggling.
That's so weird what a strange arrangement. If they were housemates before and then his brother dates her then fair enough but to move in with you bfs brother is just very odd.