2021 Weddings

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Haha I can’t believe that 🙈😂

Both of my friends who were getting married this year have now moved theirs to next year. I don’t think they will be big numbers this year no 😞 maybe July/August will be the best months.

Have you moved yours or cancelled completely?
We moved ours to next year as we have 3 other weddings this year so didn’t want to tread on anyone’s toes lol I would happily have a smaller wedding anyway! I think it’s just the unknown for weddings this year isn’t it? I don’t know the highest amount of numbers they will have?

Reactions: 2
The unknown is just horrfic. I have worked in the industry for over a decade, won awards, working at the top of my game and career and I have NEVER been as stressed as this.

Every couple wants answers and I just don't have them. BUT we are in such a better position from March 2021 than March 2020 so I really want people to hold on a bit. But at the same time, of course I completely understand how special the build up is...hen parties, dress shopping etc

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Some couples also want to get on with their married lives so want to get hitched this year.
That’s one of the things that upset my friend about moving her wedding as she wanted to start trying for a baby after getting married. She could do it now, but doesn’t want to potentially be pregnant on her wedding if it goes ahead this year.

My best friend who’s engage hates the idea of a big wedding so we keep saying this is a good reason to keep it small. Only problem is her fiancé is half Spanish, has a big family and his relatives in Spain would be upset to miss it

Reactions: 3
That’s one of the things that upset my friend about moving her wedding as she wanted to start trying for a baby after getting married. She could do it now, but doesn’t want to potentially be pregnant on her wedding if it goes ahead this year.

My best friend who’s engage hates the idea of a big wedding so we keep saying this is a good reason to keep it small. Only problem is her fiancé is half Spanish, has a big family and his relatives in Spain would be upset to miss it
I got married in October and his sister and aunts and cousins live in America and had to miss the wedding but fortunately for us , he didn’t give two hoots his sister couldn’t come 😂

Reactions: 1

This is the situation I’m in. We wanted to start trying after our wedding and honeymoon so probably July. So we can either have a small wedding and stick to the plan or delay our wedding and either try for a baby before or push it way back.

I do like the idea of a small wedding. I’ve been hopeful about vaccines and positive news but then it seems to have gone negative again now and saying lockdown will last into Easter and then there will be tiers again.

I feel so sorry for everyone who’s getting married or works in the industry it’s just awful 😞😞

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I feel so sorry for everyone who’s getting married or works in the industry it’s just awful 😞😞
thank you for including those of us who work in the industry! 🧡
a few days ago i had my first cancellation of the year, it broke my heart because i had a wonderful relationship with the couple

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 4
I do wonder what this year means for weddings 😐😫
I know wish we could fast forward a couple of months and see what everything looks like. Think we are still going ahead with a small one. I can’t be bothered with the hassle of changing everything. I’m happy to have a small one 😊

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I know wish we could fast forward a couple of months and see what everything looks like. Think we are still going ahead with a small one. I can’t be bothered with the hassle of changing everything. I’m happy to have a small one 😊
I’m pleased things sound they’ll work out for you. A crystal ball would definitely be appreciated right now!

We have a phone call with our venue in about 15 minutes and I’m so nervous!! Still waiting for my other half to get home which isn’t helping, I don’t want to deal with it on my own!

I flit so quickly between feeling really positive for my wedding and panicking.

My wedding planner is confident ours will go ahead, but when I saw Spain were cancelling tourism this summer until their vaccine is properly rolled out, it was made me a bit nervous about our wedding. I won’t be booking any flights for another couple of months, hopefully we know more by then 🤞🏻

I’m pleased things sound they’ll work out for you. A crystal ball would definitely be appreciated right now!

We have a phone call with our venue in about 15 minutes and I’m so nervous!! Still waiting for my other half to get home which isn’t helping, I don’t want to deal with it on my own!
Good luck!!

Last edited:

Good luck let us know how you get on 😊

I flit so quickly between feeling really positive for my wedding and panicking.

My wedding planner is confident ours will go ahead, but when I saw Spain were cancelling tourism this summer until their vaccine is properly rolled out, it was made me a bit nervous about our wedding. I won’t be booking any flights for another couple of months, hopefully we know more by then 🤞🏻

Good luck
I really hope it goes ahead for you! I know it’s all doom and gloom at the moment but I feel like maybe towards the end of March there might be a bit of a lift and some positive news. I try having a look at articles about weddings and what experts thing rather than reading all the negatives in the paper. I know things can still go wrong but it’s nice to have a bit of hope 😊

It didn’t go well. I let my partner do most of the talking because I just get too emotional. Let’s just say he is very straight talking!

With us, they know we want to cancel as the other options just don’t work for us. So it’s the discussion as to what we’re owed back. We have basically paid up, even though the balance wasn’t due. Big mistake! I’d never do that again, lesson learned. Although regardless of that, we’d still be owed money.

They’re advising us to hang on until our date is officially in some kind of lockdown/restrictions. It’s the start of April so we all know we won’t be having a wedding of almost 90 guests. But I think this is the final thing they’re clinging on to.

Anyway, they said their MD wouldn’t go for a refund until this happens. The call ended with partner asking them to put everything in writing to us and her replying that she thinks that’s best as we’re obviously not getting anywhere over the phone 😢

I thought it’d be bad, but not to the extreme where they’re currently offering us nothing back at all.

• Sad
Reactions: 5
It didn’t go well. I let my partner do most of the talking because I just get too emotional. Let’s just say he is very straight talking!

With us, they know we want to cancel as the other options just don’t work for us. So it’s the discussion as to what we’re owed back. We have basically paid up, even though the balance wasn’t due. Big mistake! I’d never do that again, lesson learned. Although regardless of that, we’d still be owed money.

They’re advising us to hang on until our date is officially in some kind of lockdown/restrictions. It’s the start of April so we all know we won’t be having a wedding of almost 90 guests. But I think this is the final thing they’re clinging on to.

Anyway, they said their MD wouldn’t go for a refund until this happens. The call ended with partner asking them to put everything in writing to us and her replying that she thinks that’s best as we’re obviously not getting anywhere over the phone 😢

I thought it’d be bad, but not to the extreme where they’re currently offering us nothing back at all.
I’m so sorry! What a horrible situation to be put in. This seems so wrong! They are obviously just clinging on hoping that the wedding you wanted will be able to go ahead but that seems very unlikely with the amount of guests you want. Do you know where you stand legally? Surely they can’t keep the money when it’s not the wedding you planned. I know that’s not their fault but it doesn’t mean they can keep your money.

Legally they are entitled to retain 'reasonable costs' if your wedding can't legally go ahead. Anything else is a voluntary cancellation and therefore they can keep the money as per their standard T&Cs. But it's certainly worth working with the venue on this. But there was a court ruling recently that a group of venues could keep back 37% of the hire fee as 'reasonable'.

Obviously I don't know the details of your wedding or your venue, but we are being advised that weddings will go ahead from 31st March, however this is likely to be within the Tier system moving upwards.

Is postponement just not an option for you? or is the venue also somewhere you could do a party at and use that money at a later date?

surely this is not allowed! they have to refund you! did you by any chance have a covid paragraph in your agreement?

@Barbie2020 @Prgirl_cesca @bolimepipi

Thank you for your replies.

The legal wording from the CMA says that they can claim reasonable costs as Prgirl will obviously know and advised. I expected our conversation to be “okay, we can offer you X amount of money back” and then we’d go from there with negotiations. However, we were completely shut down. We’re pretty confident that it’ll come out good for us in the end. The CMA advise that where a wedding cannot go ahead as intended, the contract becomes “frustrated” which means that it cannot go ahead or it will be drastically different.

I think what they’re doing, is clinging on to the fact that at the moment, our date is not under restrictions and so they’re clinging onto whatever they can. However, we would have to come out of lockdown and have NO tiers for the weddings to go ahead. Even T1/2 was restricted to 15 people in England.

I just want to make a point now, that I really do feel for anyone in the industry. They’re having to have horrible conversations and it can’t be easy. Whatever I say isn’t personal and I hate that we’re all in this situation. However, I don’t feel like our venue are doing themselves any favours at all.

• Heart
  • Sad

The legal wording from the CMA says that they can claim reasonable costs as Prgirl will obviously know and advised. I expected our conversation to be “okay, we can offer you X amount of money back” and then we’d go from there with negotiations. However, we were completely shut down. We’re pretty confident that it’ll come out good for us in the end. The CMA advise that where a wedding cannot go ahead as intended, the contract becomes “frustrated” which means that it cannot go ahead or it will be drastically different.

I think what they’re doing, is clinging on to the fact that at the moment, our date is not under restrictions and so they’re clinging onto whatever they can. However, we would have to come out of lockdown and have NO tiers for the weddings to go ahead. Even T1/2 was restricted to 15 people in England.

I just want to make a point now, that I really do feel for anyone in the industry. They’re having to have horrible conversations and it can’t be easy. Whatever I say isn’t personal and I hate that we’re all in this situation. However, I don’t feel like our venue are doing themselves any favours at all.

No they haven’t handled it well and tbh they are probably just desperately grasping onto straws as they are fed up of losing money. They are probably having the same conversations with a lot of people but still need to be professional and realise how hard it must be for you and your partner. What a mess 😞

Sorry to hear this, it’s such a tough situation and like you said, realistically there’s no way you’ll have the wedding you chose and paid for in April!

I know a couple who were meant to get married last year, their venue told them to not make a decision and hold on and hold on until nearer the time, weddings then started to go ahead (obviously with massive restrictions) and then when they asked to postpone their 100+ people wedding, their venue said they’d have to treat it like a cancellation and rebooking with all the associated costs, because they could have ‘A’ wedding just not the one they actually wanted 🤦🏻‍♀️ It must sour the relationship going forward!

• Sad
Sorry to hear this, it’s such a tough situation and like you said, realistically there’s no way you’ll have the wedding you chose and paid for in April!

I know a couple who were meant to get married last year, their venue told them to not make a decision and hold on and hold on until nearer the time, weddings then started to go ahead (obviously with massive restrictions) and then when they asked to postpone their 100+ people wedding, their venue said they’d have to treat it like a cancellation and rebooking with all the associated costs, because they could have ‘A’ wedding just not the one they actually wanted 🤦🏻‍♀️ It must sour the relationship going forward!
Yeah, we postponed to April from last june and my heart was never in it because we’d gone from a weekend wedding to just been offered midweek dates. Mon - Thurs, not even Fridays. We picked the date we did because it was the only date that fell in a half term and we had a lot of kids coming, including our own three. So at least it helped us and others out with it not being a school day.

They gave us £250 back, but the difference in costs would have been much greater if we’d have chosen a Wednesday in the first place.

• Sad
i AM in the industry and i don't feel like they've handled this well. it is a business, but one where you need a lot of empathy!
but as you said, i'm sure it will all be fine for you in the end. it's already almost february and i think they won't have a choice but to refund you

• Heart
Reactions: 6