2021 Weddings

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
@nbt Bless you. It's so hard for everyone. My inbox has not stopped pinging for postponements and cancellations. I dread opening it. But I also feel so sad for all the couples seeing their dreams going down the drain.

• Sad
Reactions: 4
Well with a clear(er) head, we’ve just sat down and read the latest message from our venue which followed up our phone call on Friday.
It’s laughable really, they say they can’t give us a specific cost of what they can retain as “reasonable costs” but it’s likely to be “thousands of pounds”. They also said our contract would be frustrated if lockdown prevents them from opening.

We’ve responded to say that our contract is also frustrated if it’s “radically different” from what was originally planned. This is quoted from the gov website. We have also asked for a breakdown of specific costs of what they’ve incurred from OUR wedding date, not weddings as a whole.

We’ve put a timescale on it and then said that we’d seek legal advice. We’ve also made sure that we make it clear that these costs are only up to the date that we approached them giving notice of our want to cancel.

So a waiting game again now!

• Angry
Reactions: 4
Well with a clear(er) head, we’ve just sat down and read the latest message from our venue which followed up our phone call on Friday.
It’s laughable really, they say they can’t give us a specific cost of what they can retain as “reasonable costs” but it’s likely to be “thousands of pounds”. They also said our contract would be frustrated if lockdown prevents them from opening.

We’ve responded to say that our contract is also frustrated if it’s “radically different” from what was originally planned. This is quoted from the gov website. We have also asked for a breakdown of specific costs of what they’ve incurred from OUR wedding date, not weddings as a whole.

We’ve put a timescale on it and then said that we’d seek legal advice. We’ve also made sure that we make it clear that these costs are only up to the date that we approached them giving notice of our want to cancel.

So a waiting game again now!
I hope they get back to you with something reasonable ☹

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Hey everyone, just read through this thread and nice to see I am not the only one feeling that way.

I feel like I need to vent 😭 Also a postponed bride from June last year moved to June this year so we could have the wedding and honeymoon we wanted. Looking less and less likely 😭 feel like all the fun has been taken out of it. As it was close last time 3 months before we have paid a lot of money in deposit and final/ part payments so we are kind of stuck

We delayed trying for a baby as well but kind of feels like what’s the point. Everyone around us is pregnant or trying for a baby and it’s getting me down. Don’t get me wrong I’m really happy for then but I can’t help but feel 😭

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 8
You will need to see what your actual contract says, as if it is just that you are hiring X venue on X date then that may still be possible, even if the logistics of the day are different because of covid. So be careful with this one.

Also, legally their reasonable costs are how much it costs to run the venue divided by the amount of weddings they host a year. This is because the upkeep of a venue is not just for one wedding but all of them. I hope that makes sense. Maybe calculate 37% of your hire fee and see if that is thousands. This is what a court has deemed 'fair'.

You should definitely be owed some money if your wedding is unable to go ahead because of covid.

It's a really murky area at the moment, which is a shame the venue won't work with you on this.

Hey everyone, just read through this thread and nice to see I am not the only one feeling that way.

I feel like I need to vent 😭 Also a postponed bride from June last year moved to June this year so we could have the wedding and honeymoon we wanted. Looking less and less likely 😭 feel like all the fun has been taken out of it. As it was close last time 3 months before we have paid a lot of money in deposit and final/ part payments so we are kind of stuck

We delayed trying for a baby as well but kind of feels like what’s the point. Everyone around us is pregnant or trying for a baby and it’s getting me down. Don’t get me wrong I’m really happy for then but I can’t help but feel 😭
Welcome to our little thread it helps to talk to people in the same boat!😃

I’m in exactly the same position as you apart from the fact we haven’t had to reschedule our wedding. Ours was always June 21 and we’ve decided to go ahead with this date. We know there will be restrictions and it will be a smaller wedding. We want to try starting for a baby and I didn’t want to put it iff for another year.

We are the last out of a big group of friends to not have babies and everyone seems to be getting pregnant at the moment. It does make me feel the pressure a bit.

Would you be happy to have a smaller wedding or is that not an option for you? I do think things might be a bit better in June so there could still be the chance of having quite a few guests there. I know it’s kind of hard to decide.

The saddest part of it all for me is that one of the most exciting parts of our lives have been taken away from us. I have married friends who say it’s the marriage not the party that counts. I know they mean well and are making a valid point but I think it’s easy for them to say when they did get their dream wedding 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Welcome to our little thread it helps to talk to people in the same boat!😃

I’m in exactly the same position as you apart from the fact we haven’t had to reschedule our wedding. Ours was always June 21 and we’ve decided to go ahead with this date. We know there will be restrictions and it will be a smaller wedding. We want to try starting for a baby and I didn’t want to put it iff for another year.

We are the last out of a big group of friends to not have babies and everyone seems to be getting pregnant at the moment. It does make me feel the pressure a bit.

Would you be happy to have a smaller wedding or is that not an option for you? I do think things might be a bit better in June so there could still be the chance of having quite a few guests there. I know it’s kind of hard to decide.

The saddest part of it all for me is that one of the most exciting parts of our lives have been taken away from us. I have married friends who say it’s the marriage not the party that counts. I know they mean well and are making a valid point but I think it’s easy for them to say when they did get their dream wedding 😂
Aww it’s awful isn’t it! We are exactly the same we are the last to get married and all our friends have kids or are actively trying to get pregnant. Plus I’m not getting any younger 😃🤣

We will go ahead with a small wedding this year if that’s what it is. We don’t want to postpone again it’s too stressful for a start and we want to just get married now. However cutting down the guest list/ potentially not having an evening do etc aren’t great. However hopefully things improve by then, fingers crossed for us all 🤞

I completely agree with you about the build up it’s all taken away. The countdowns, excitement etc. You don’t feel like you can get excited. Some of our married friends have been the worst with comments especially when they had massive weddings and 3 hen do/stag do etc. But then they are like ‘it’s not important, I would just get married in a registry office if I was you’.

Aww it’s awful isn’t it! We are exactly the same we are the last to get married and all our friends have kids or are actively trying to get pregnant. Plus I’m not getting any younger 😃🤣

We will go ahead with a small wedding this year if that’s what it is. We don’t want to postpone again it’s too stressful for a start and we want to just get married now. However cutting down the guest list/ potentially not having an evening do etc aren’t great. However hopefully things improve by then, fingers crossed for us all 🤞

I completely agree with you about the build up it’s all taken away. The countdowns, excitement etc. You don’t feel like you can get excited. Some of our married friends have been the worst with comments especially when they had massive weddings and 3 hen do/stag do etc. But then they are like ‘it’s not important, I would just get married in a registry office if I was you’.
I haven’t spoken to many other people who are going to carry on with a small wedding so it’s nice to know I’m not the only one. Would just be nice to have it set in stone how many people we can have now so I can plan. Our 15 guest list is easy but if it’s 30 it would be harder as friends would be left out where as with 15 we’d just have family.

I’m hopeful that June will be much better. We have to stay hopeful.

As much as I wanted the big wedding I think I’d prefer the idea of trying for a baby sooner rather than later so it was the best decision for us 😃 things will work out for us one way or another 😃

Reactions: 1
I haven’t spoken to many other people who are going to carry on with a small wedding so it’s nice to know I’m not the only one. Would just be nice to have it set in stone how many people we can have now so I can plan. Our 15 guest list is easy but if it’s 30 it would be harder as friends would be left out where as with 15 we’d just have family.

I’m hopeful that June will be much better. We have to stay hopeful.

As much as I wanted the big wedding I think I’d prefer the idea of trying for a baby sooner rather than later so it was the best decision for us 😃 things will work out for us one way or another 😃
Aww no last year I probably would have said no to a small wedding but we just want to get married now. I agree 15 is easy in a way because it is so small it’s just immediate family. Where as 30 is where you have to start telling people they can’t come with their partner or I’m closer to you blah 🙈

I spoke to our venue at the weekend they said they thought it was more likely to be 30 than 15 by June or could be more but they have no idea. Hopefully a road map is released soon so we know one way or another 🤞

Aww no last year I probably would have said no to a small wedding but we just want to get married now. I agree 15 is easy in a way because it is so small it’s just immediate family. Where as 30 is where you have to start telling people they can’t come with their partner or I’m closer to you blah 🙈

I spoke to our venue at the weekend they said they thought it was more likely to be 30 than 15 by June or could be more but they have no idea. Hopefully a road map is released soon so we know one way or another 🤞
Yeh the 30 situation is awkward 😂 I do think it will be at least 30 as well by then 🙈 I know Boris has obviously got an idea of what’s going to happen soon so it will be nice to have a bit of a clear idea ☺

Yeh the 30 situation is awkward 😂 I do think it will be at least 30 as well by then 🙈 I know Boris has obviously got an idea of what’s going to happen soon so it will be nice to have a bit of a clear idea ☺
Just pretend you had to give a definite answer and had to stick to 15 😂

• Haha
Ladies, just for the ones worried about hen do’s etc. My wedding was booked and we chose to move it forward by many months due to a family member being terminally ill. However we already had our stag and hen do’s booked! They ended up being after our wedding and I’m telling you now it was the best thing ever! Not a bit of worrying about the wedding whilst we were away etc, looking back having it afterwards was better for my and my husband loved having his stag after the wedding too.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
guys sorry if this is a bit ot but what is a normal cost for a wedding band in the uk?
i feel like my local bands are giving me ridiculous quotes for the situation we are all in

guys sorry if this is a bit ot but what is a normal cost for a wedding band in the uk?
i feel like my local bands are giving me ridiculous quotes for the situation we are all in
I don’t have a clue sorry 😞 we have a DJ included in the price we aren’t bothering with a band. What prices are they quoting you if you don’t mind me asking? I wonder if they have put their prices up because of Covid 😔

I don’t have a clue sorry 😞 we have a DJ included in the price we aren’t bothering with a band. What prices are they quoting you if you don’t mind me asking? I wonder if they have put their prices up because of Covid 😔
i'm in contact with wedding bands a lot and they've been raising their prices every year but i thought they would be more considerate now?
everyone else has been: venues, photographers, dj's... only bands are some kind of superstars it seems
nothing below 3000 eur, i don't even want to offer them to clients!
(sorry this is not for my own wedding, i'm a planner)

The wedding taskforce is lobbying the government to work to 50 people with an evening do and dancing/disco asap. How this would happen, I don't know at the moment but that is what they are working hard for. That's what Guides for Brides said in one of their facebook lives last week.

pre covid I would say at least £1,500 for a decent band for an evening set. Post covid they will probably be trying to claw back lost income from 2020/2021 and also working with supply & demand as 2022 is looking mental for bookings.

I know Boris has obviously got an idea of what’s going to happen soon so it will be nice to have a bit of a clear idea ☺
I wish those dickheads had an idea of what's going to happen. Weddings has never been on their agenda, we have been fighting to be heard.

We were quoted anywhere between £1000-£2500 depending on band size. This would have been for 5ish hours for a June reception last year.

The wedding taskforce is lobbying the government to work to 50 people with an evening do and dancing/disco asap. How this would happen, I don't know at the moment but that is what they are working hard for. That's what Guides for Brides said in one of their facebook lives last week.
That’s interesting, I wonder if they will ease restrictions on evening do’s this year

That’s interesting, I wonder if they will ease restrictions on evening do’s this year
I feel like all of my couples would happily cut their guest lists right back. It's the evening do bit which is becoming a real sticking point. We have tried to make it as normal as possible but for many a wedding is very much about the dancing and the party.

Apparently they did a survey and 80% said they would take a wedding of 50 people with an evening party over 100 people for a sit down meal but no evening and I completely understand.

Reactions: 7