2021 Holidays

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
That’s good to know. Amending as we speak.
we had Crete booked with TUI end of May, amended a month ago to end of August, both amends been super easy but costing extra in the same holiday everytime it’s moved. decided to hold out as even if it’s still Amber you can opt in to end quarantine early (after 5 days) with extra testing. Desperate for a break and can’t afford a uk break also can’t afford for this holiday to get more expensive by moving it to next year (which is crazy money) This holiday has been moved from 2020 😭😭

Reactions: 1
The problem with the so-called "green list" is the testing requirement. You risk being stranded at your destination if you record a positive test before your return (and let's not forget that LFTs are notoriously fickle and prone to false positives).

Then if the experience of last year was anything to go by, the biggest hurdle on returning is the AVAILABILITY of a private PCR test. I had friends who went to Cyprus (where they required a test before flying and one on arrival) and they had to cancel because there wasn't anywhere near enough capacity in the whole of the UK at private labs. Prices were astronomical because of this. In the end, after a fraught week of phoning around they could only find a test in Edinburgh (they live in Exeter) and that was £350 each!

The same rigmarole happened at Christmas with the Canary Islands. Before the travel window slammed shut due to the Kent variant Spain announced all arrivals would need a PCR test. Within a day, EVERY private PCR test in the country had sold out and people were forced to cancel again.

In both these scenarios, there were so few people travelling and even with tiny numbers the system was inadequate. A fool could predict that it will go tits up as the hoards return from the May half term.

• Wow
Reactions: 3
we had Crete booked with TUI end of May, amended a month ago to end of August, both amends been super easy but costing extra in the same holiday everytime it’s moved. decided to hold out as even if it’s still Amber you can opt in to end quarantine early (after 5 days) with extra testing. Desperate for a break and can’t afford a uk break also can’t afford for this holiday to get more expensive by moving it to next year (which is crazy money) This holiday has been moved from 2020 😭😭
I’ve seen it’s 100 extra for next year which is annoying. This will be a third amendment and a third extra payment !!

My family only ever do staycations and because I’ve been stuck in Wales for so long whilst my boyfriend lives in England, I’m nervous about our Devon holiday in June 😂

Public transport will be a nightmare, we went last year and the trains weren’t great... XC are changing their timetables on 15th May so we can’t book tickets yet urgh

Good luck to those with holidays abroad!

Think we might of got lucky with our deal, was meant to go in June 2020 for 9 nights/10 days it obviously got cancelled, we moved it to this year and had to pay more but then we changed it in February for now in June 2022 and we actually got 1 extra night for the same price which I was shocked about! 🥳
Have booked a week in butlins but that was cheap but some of the caravan deals for summer holidays are astronomically!

After I cancelled my flights my bf and I considered meeting in a green country such as Portugal (since he had already taken days off work for my visit). But is there even any point? I’m sure Portugal is essential travel only and other countries aren’t even letting visitors in??

After I cancelled my flights my bf and I considered meeting in a green country such as Portugal (since he had already taken days off work for my visit). But is there even any point? I’m sure Portugal is essential travel only and other countries aren’t even letting visitors in??
Most of the green list is useless
There’s only 4 on the list letting in Uk tourists

Portugal is letting in from 17th May apprently

Sorry I’m thick lol.
What 4 are letting in UK Tourists?
only Portugal - including the Azores and Madeira - and Gibraltar will allow British tourists to travel there without a quarantine or vaccination requirement, while Iceland and Israel will let UK tourists in but only if they are vaccinated against Covid-19

Our province opens vaccines to everyone from Monday, I can't wait so maybe a vacation will be more likely. If the US-Canada border finally reopens, I would LOVE to go to New York in Autumn. We did a road trip in Southern California a few years ago and it was brill. Would love to do the East Coast...New York, Connecticut, Massachusets (Boston/Salem), Rhode Island. Would love to go to DC too.
The border is open if you drive lots of influencers in Canada and going to us I think they fly there and drive back from
New York

What is the situation with travel within the UK? I live in NI and hoping for a weekend break to London in about 2 months. We havent booked flights yet but you would think with international travel starting to open this should too.

I have extremely optimistic plans for this year haha.

I spent 10 days in Rome last month which was amazing and we're planning a trip to Amalfi coast in May (or as soon as Campania opens up again).

For my 30th in june we'll be sailing in Croatia, already have that booked and I'm pretty sure there won't be problems with that, then I NEEEEED to go to London as soon as it will be possible (2020 was the first year after more than 10 years when I didn't go and it broke my heart because it's my favourite place in the world), so hopefully this will happen this summer.

And I also hope we'll be able to go to Japan this year - we had to cancel it last march so if things get a little bit better we're planning that for september.

🤞🤞🤞

Reporting back from our trip to Amalfi coast - I still can't believe how lucky we were. Bought plane tickets back in March, hoping things will get better in a couple of months and we got it right - Italy opened for tourists on May 15th and we were flying on May 19th haha. Towns were completely empty and we were one of the first tourist everywhere we went, locals were so kind and happy and helpful. Capri however was packed, it's hard to imagine there would be even more people during the high season.

And the best part - on our last night in Praiano my boyfriend of 14 years proposed!🙈🥳 I think this trip was really meant to happen and it was the one to remember. 🥰

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I flew out to Portugal on the 19th May and returned on the 31st. I have to say, I felt safer at the airport/on the plane and in Portugal than I do going to the supermarket at home in the UK.

Everyone was distanced in the airport, I didn’t come into contact with anyone on the plane due to no standing in the aisles or queuing for the toilets and Portugal was handling Covid amazingly. It massively helped that we stayed in a villa, so only really wore masks when going into shops, but for those nearly 2 weeks, my life felt normal and it was amazing!!

I would travel again in a heartbeat but unfortunately due to my partners job, we can’t do the quarantine.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I don’t understand how you can go on the Tui website right now and book a holiday leaving even tomorrow or Saturday. Are people still booking? Are the flights going? What happens if you book and turn up at the airport? I’m not going to but I’m just wondering how they’re still selling them and if anyone is trying.